• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 trailer, Xbox Series X|S

It is an absolutely insane looking game even on One X but I just wasn't enjoying it and stopped fairly early.

Must try again and no better time I guess.

I just played through Gears 5 with my Dad maybe 2 mos. ago or so. We had a really good time doing the co-op, but that ending. Both Gears 4 and 5 have terrible endings and it's a disappointment. Good looking game though and again, a lot of fun to play with a buddy.

Iced Arcade

Gears 5 is an awesome games but the load times made it unbearable to play on insane. Waiting half a minute+ everytime ya die was painful so just gave up.

I don't get the praise for the graphics, most of the time the game looked very artificial, the only area I thought looked impressive was inside that factory, the lighting was great in that level but otherwise it's not an amazing looking game at all, targeting 60fps on that hardware came with cutbacks.

Why would I want Batista replacing Marcus though? Out of touch dumbassery. Out of all the things you could do with a video game, you face scan a random dude. Fucking lame. Is he going to be in a gears movie or something?

Last edited:

N30RYU

they dropped the bomb indeed...
in their own feets

We are gonna relieve a lot of "what year is it" for both sony and MS this holidays

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Still makes me sad, that they would not use those character models from cutscene in some slower game. Even in 30FPS, because cutscenes ran real-time in Gears 5. They are like Naughty Dog quality...

Bergoglio

The best looking game just became the best performing game. Hats off coalition hats off. 👏🏻

f87WN9w.jpg

vIt4jJf.jpg

splattered

Funny to see all the people complaining about Batista in here that have obviously never played the game/franchise or followed social media/news about how Bastista has always wanted to play Marcus in a live action movie adaption. This has been a long time well known thing with the Gears franchise. I honestly don't get the complaints on this board.. it's just something fun for the fans how can you even bitch about it?

FlyyGOD

I don't get the praise for the graphics, most of the time the game looked very artificial, the only area I thought looked impressive was inside that factory, the lighting was great in that level but otherwise it's not an amazing looking game at all, targeting 60fps on that hardware came with cutbacks.
Series X above ultra HD textures, volumetric fog , better particle effects at 60 fps. No cutbacks whatsoever. Why are you talking about one x graphics ?

LarknThe4th

It looks absolutely fantastic, they did a great job with this

As an aside, Can Ferguson come back and replace Booty as Microsoft Game studios head please, guy can ship top level big budget games

Maybe Nintendo could even poach him from Blizzard and get him to run newly emboldened Western efforts

jaysius

Banned
5 was a real low point for the series(even lower than 4), the brain dead team AI which didn't know how to break ice which was essential for some encounters, also didn't know how to strafe around a boss, making it take far longer than it should have to kill one of the bosses.

"GET FRIENDS LULZ!!!!" the game is meant to be SP so it should be playable SP.

The bosses they added didn't really add much to the game. The story was a crappy "wait until the next one to get any satisfying resolution" type ending.

The multiplayer was fun, it's always fun with Gears, but I'm one of those weirdos that "comes for the SP" kind of like the dude that literally buys playboy for the articles.

It would have been better if they remade 3, 2 I think was one of the better ones.

I played it on a Base Xbox One(a valid platform as it's an Xbox One game) and the game looked like pure shit, sometimes textures never even loaded, it was so buggy sometimes after a death it would respawn you and the encounter you were supposed to do was already over, or just bugged out somehow.

I have no idea what kind of value a New Game+ adds to this game, as it's not a game where you level up your character or grow it in any appreciable way.

I enjoyed the exploration part of the game, that was a welcome change to the series.

Switching Marcus' face is really odd, I'm guessing this is to bring it inline with a possible movie Spin-Off? I like the way Marcus looked, it was gritty and he looked like he'd seen some shit. Bautista in Bladerunner looked better than this.

At least it looks pretty on a Series X.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
It is an absolutely insane looking game even on One X but I just wasn't enjoying it and stopped fairly early.

Must try again and no better time I guess.
Huge Gears fan. But TBH, it wasnt that great early on. The recent operation fixed a lot of stuff. Which is odd because the game has improved drastically since Rod Fergusson left The Coalition (and I love Rod).

No just give us more vs. maps!!!

skneogaf

Looks like a great upgrade for series x!

I want a similar job done for god of war and the last of us 2.

Gears 5 is my least favourite as I do not want anything like open world anything in a gears of war game.

Give me set paths with huge set pieces and hundreds of enemies for me to murder!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sounds good, looks good. If I end up picking up a Series S or X I'll definitely give it another playthrough. Not that it doesn't look great on Xbox One X, it does, but the promise of better load times is a real attraction for me. This is just a single example but if performance is anywhere close to this in all instances of load screens, count me in:

BabyYoda

Banned
5 was a real low point for the series(even lower than 4)...

I honestly thought it was the best in the series, the first since the first one to really grab me. I don't like the current trend to replace all white leads though (talking of that, how obvious is it that Microsoft are virtue signalling in their recent adverts (since all the insanity), they almost never have any white men in them and have a lot of "black music" all the time, I wonder if peeps realise they and the other mega corporations don't give a crap about their cause (whether good or bad). Apart from that it was great imo, I am talking specifically about the sp mind, I'm not really a mp guy.

JimiNutz

Banned
They put Batista in the game as a replacement skin for Marcus? WUT?

I know people have been championing him as a possible Marcus for a Gears movie but seeing him side by side with the OG Marcus in the game drives home how much cooler Marcus looks. Fuck that shit. Should have been his own character.

Unless the movie is actually coming and this is early marketing? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
That game suffered from the fallen order disease, it looked amazing in some parts and horrible in others (that red sand level hugh)

As a gears game this was one of worst and bored ones, i have finished all of them with a buddy of mine, and it was a chore, and the open worl parts were a disgrace

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Just finished Gears 5 in Coop mode.
That skin tho.. Nobody can replace Marcus! We need more Marcus in Gears!

And the game looks really really awesome.
I'm more hyped about the story DLC.
Do we already know, if it a paid or free one?

I really don't know where it went wrong for me. I was a big fan of the first one beat it on insane with my brother. Sunk way too much time into the multiplayer. I got really into the horde mode when it first arrived. But three four and five I think we're all very mundane. To be fair with the first two entries I had friends to play with and with four and five I just had a couple friends to do the campaign with and those couple friends were similarly unimpressed with those campaigns. it wasn't like with the first one where there was a whole group of us playing multiplayer or the second where there was a group that would play The horde mode. And then there's also the fact that the gameplay isn't that noticeably different this much time and this many entries later. I feel like too many games from that generation didn't do anything to improve themselves. Another franchise a lot like that to me would be borderlands. call of duty is one of the few shooters that gets away with not doing much each year but I feel like in general the hardcore gamers don't really accept that. I get a bigger kick out of zombies than I do The horde mode in gears nowadays, tbh.

To me gears of war should be like horror uncharted and I guess it kind of is it just isn't as cool as that sounds. Maybe something more akin to Dead space one and two. Or they could vastly improve the mobility and turn it into an action game proper. but for the time being it's too much of a game straddling the line between two types of games that are far more interesting to me than what this balance creates.

I'm also pretty iffy on the visuals I get why they're praised but to me there's not a lot to them. like someone else said they're only really great in certain areas. I actually got more out of the visuals in part four I understand that part five is probably technically Superior to four but part four had some better art design in sections especially the more horror themed sections. another direction they could go in that I'd be interested in is to make it even more tactical and do a lot less of the cinematic crop because other games do that stuff so much better.

Tiamat2san

I am so fucking ready to replay the campaign.
I have convinced my wife and my son to do it on insane difficulty this time.
New game plus is great, I still miss some of jack’s upgrades points and some of the relic weapons.
With the new lighting, textures and shadows, it will be awesome.
Operation 5 can’t come soon enough!
Gabe will come with it.

The story dlc will be greatly appreciated.

as for batista skin in the campaign...Fuck no!!!

Bearded Marcus forever!!!♥️🥰♥️

WildBoy

For me it's Gears 2, Gears 5, Gears 1, Gears 3, Judgement, Gears 4. In that order.

Gears 5 for me was such a creative flex with some great organic set pieces, emotional story beats and some beautiful visuals... And I played it on the Xbox one S! Can't wait to upgrade to Xbox Series X on Nov 10th!

Additionally I had a PS4 and Pro as my main consoles this gen. It feels werid to be switching sides but I'm just burnt out on the Sony formula and kinda excited to play the wealth of gamepass games on Series X and my old back compat titles with auto HDR... This update to 5 is very welcome!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
A new facial skin for the main character. True next gen. Well done, MS.
Just following Sony’s much praised decision to do it with spider man.

Funny to see all the people complaining about Batista in here that have obviously never played the game/franchise or followed social media/news about how Bastista has always wanted to play Marcus in a live action movie adaption. This has been a long time well known thing with the Gears franchise. I honestly don't get the complaints on this board.. it's just something fun for the fans how can you even bitch about it?
Most of the people complaining have not and will never play a gears game. They’re the same ones saying zenimax games are going to come to PlayStation. They’re probably still waiting for that gears 1 “timed exclusivity” to run out that they harped on about 15 years ago haha.

when I clicked show ignored posts this thread doubled in size. That says it all.

Last edited:
Just following Sony’s much praised decision to do it with spider man.

Most of the people complaining have not and will never play a gears game. They’re the same ones saying zenimax games are going to come to PlayStation. They’re probably still waiting for that gears 1 “timed exclusivity” to run out that they harped on about 15 years ago haha.

when I clicked show ignored posts this thread doubled in size. That says it all.

Does anyone take this poster seriously?

WildBoy

Gears 5 is awesome

Weak as fuck that it's the only thing they really have to show off the power of the most powerful ever released just before launch

Shame on you, Xbox. Seriously - wha' the fuck.

1. Covid 19
2. Rushed games is never happening again after MC collections false start and halo infinites too... I see this as coalition ready to take the number one spot from 343. #pleasenoticemesenpai

Top Bottom