• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 trailer, Xbox Series X|S

You legit almost took up a whole thread page. Like wtf?

Are you going to be ok?

You're a joke.

Miles Morales isnt DLC though, it is a stand alone game very much like Uncharted Lost Legacy was.

Besides, unless you have Gamepass I can't see anyone paying the marked up prices that games like Gears 5 receive, even Red Dead Redemption is £24.99 after they gave it the BC treatment, so they aren't free updates as much as they would like to make out.

DLC content implies that it is, in some form, a continuation of previous game content. It can be optionally released standalone, but if you can ALSO buy it as an additional to base content, then said new content is technically DLC; you're able to buy it or freely acquire it as downloadable content that affixes to a set of base content already in your possession.

An excerpt on Lost Legacy btw; see if you can spot a correlation between this and Miles Morales:

While the development team initially contemplated creating Uncharted 5, they opted to create downloadable content (DLC) for Uncharted 4, as the simultaneous development of The Last of Us Part II led them to favor a more condensed story for a sooner release.

So yes, Miles Morales and Lost Legacy perfectly fit the description of DLC; it's only people who feel that "DLC" is a bad word and want to try legitimizing something as more prestigious than it need or deserve to be, by designating it a different qualifier for...whatever reason strikes their fancy. Usually a dumb one, though.

Also I trust a company that has detailed analytical data and means of data gathering, to know what projections to cast forward for market performance of their products, than a person on a gaming forum who's mainly drawing from a personal anecdotal opinion driven by emotions over logic, trying to play contrarian.

Yes. It is its own separate title. Like uncharted:lost legacy.

Just smaller in content probably compared to 2018 Spiderman. Hence the price $49.99.

Once again you are coming off as a complete joke. A basic three-minute search shows you Lost Legacy is DLC content. The length of time doesn't matter, because using game length as a means of indicating something is DLC or not DLC is arbitrary.

The content being sold at a slightly-reduced-from-full game price does not change the fact it is still DLC, especially if it is simultaneously provided as both physical and digital distribution (which both Lost Legacy was and what Miles Morales will provide).

Artificially changing the definition of what constitutes as DLC to attempt making your preferred software (and your preferred piece of plastic playing that software) look more "premium" or valid of a gaming experience requires nothing more than willfully playing the part of a fool and utilizing poorly bungled logic. But you've been displaying those qualities since your first post in the thread :S

What this comes down to are a few people in this thread with BS agendas that are shitting on xbox for making free dlc to gears 5, while praising sony for making dlc you have to pay for on spiderman.

Using backwards logic to try and paint gears 5 (one of the best looking titles of the current gen) as a weak attempt using a 2 year old game on next gen when sony is doing the exact same thing. When do you people get tired of the idiotic hypocrisy?

They never will as long as they invest so much defensive energy into a piece of plastic you could swear they worship it and probably lay in bed with it at night.

I'm not saying Xbox people aren't guilty of it too. However, in this particular thread's case it's definitely some people who swing Team Blue pulling out an entire deck of double-standards and seem to have forgotten how consistency in logic is supposed to work. I feel very embarrassed for them, particularly the ones who are purposely doing it even after several people have shown them why their thinking process is completely wrong on the matter.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Including the original game is a bonus. Shall we call Resident Evil 3 Remake or Uncharted Lost Legacy DLC then?

Also it is about 7-10 hours ago, longer if you add in additional missions, challenges etc.
Res evil 3 is a remake. Not an addon to the original release. Uncharted lost legacy doesnt include a full previous release, does it? Also They said 5 to 10 hours. Lets not try to stretch it.

Seriously sony fans need to stop the double standards

Arkam

I honestly came in expecting a video showing both skus side by side to prove that the S is capable of a similar experience.I wonder if this is the strategy MS will have through the Gen. Say it runs on both X/S and then just show the X version (I am guessing here since they didnt state). If games are not that different in visual fidelity, it should be fine. BUt I wonder if a few consumers might get burned when the delta is very noticable.

Oh well just a few more weeks and we wil finally see what the S can/cannot do. Sad that MS couldnt make it clear, but the internet will pick up the ball on this for sure.

You're a joke.

DLC content implies that it is, in some form, a continuation of previous game content. It can be optionally released standalone, but if you can ALSO buy it as an additional to base content, then said new content is technically DLC; you're able to buy it or freely acquire it as downloadable content that affixes to a set of base content already in your possession.

An excerpt on Lost Legacy btw; see if you can spot a correlation between this and Miles Morales:

So yes, Miles Morales and Lost Legacy perfectly fit the description of DLC; it's only people who feel that "DLC" is a bad word and want to try legitimizing something as more prestigious than it need or deserve to be, by designating it a different qualifier for...whatever reason strikes their fancy. Usually a dumb one, though.

Also I trust a company that has detailed analytical data and means of data gathering, to know what projections to cast forward for market performance of their products, than a person on a gaming forum who's mainly drawing from a personal anecdotal opinion driven by emotions over logic, trying to play contrarian.

Once again you are coming off as a complete joke. A basic three-minute search shows you Lost Legacy is DLC content. The length of time doesn't matter, because using game length as a means of indicating something is DLC or not DLC is arbitrary.

The content being sold at a slightly-reduced-from-full game price does not change the fact it is still DLC, especially if it is simultaneously provided as both physical and digital distribution (which both Lost Legacy was and what Miles Morales will provide).

Artificially changing the definition of what constitutes as DLC to attempt making your preferred software (and your preferred piece of plastic playing that software) look more "premium" or valid of a gaming experience requires nothing more than willfully playing the part of a fool and utilizing poorly bungled logic. But you've been displaying those qualities since your first post in the thread :S

They never will as long as they invest so much defensive energy into a piece of plastic you could swear they worship it and probably lay in bed with it at night.

I'm not saying Xbox people aren't guilty of it too. However, in this particular thread's case it's definitely some people who swing Team Blue pulling out an entire deck of double-standards and seem to have forgotten how consistency in logic is supposed to work. I feel very embarrassed for them, particularly the ones who are purposely doing it even after several people have shown them why their thinking process is completely wrong on the matter.

MM is a full game. As is the LL

Your worthless essays don't change that simple fact

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
You're a joke.

Lost legacy started out during uncharted 4 development as DLC, then as they were developing it, there was a lot of content to the point it felt like its own story. So they made it as such and priced it at 39.99. It started as DLC then became a smaller game thats around 7-10 hours depending on if you do everything.

The fact you keep doing these mental gymnastics is exhausting which is why I have you on ignore. Maybe go google Lost legacy development and know wtf your talking about.
Lost legacy is a stand alone as in you can buy it as a separate sku and run it without uncharted 4. Gears 5 DLC/ADD -ON EXpansion requires gears 5 base to play. You can't buy it as a stand alone piece of content and play it without the base game.
Miles Morales and Lost legacy can and they are bigger in content than 3-4 hours according to Coalition.
You seriously go on these essay rants, and you gloss over the actual facts in how these titles were created. Simple google search would help you out in keeping your posts smaller and more to the point instead of doing mental gymnastics.

Lost legacy started out during uncharted 4 development as DLC, then as they were developing it, there was a lot of content to the point it felt like its own story. So they made it as such and priced it at 39.99. It started as DLC then became a smaller game thats around 7-10 hours depending on if you do everything.

The fact you keep doing these mental gymnastics is exhausting which is why I have you on ignore. Maybe go google Lost legacy development and know wtf your talking about.
Lost legacy is a stand alone as in you can buy it as a separate sku and run it without uncharted 4. Gears 5 DLC/ADD -ON EXpansion requires gears 5 base to play. You can't buy it as a stand alone piece of content and play it without the base game.
Miles Morales and Lost legacy can and they are bigger in content than 3-4 hours according to Coalition.
You seriously go on these essay rants, and you gloss over the actual facts in how these titles were created. Simple google search would help you out in keeping your posts smaller and more to the point instead of doing mental gymnastics.

Go read a college thesis paper (better yet, write one), or read through any technological R&D research papers before thinking anything I write approaches being an "essay" unless you are genuinely that lazy a ready.

From THE OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION WEBSITE for Lost Legacy btw:

BUY DOWNLOAD Buy Disc

Hmmm :pie_thinking: I wonder what "Buy Download" could possibly mean?!? Baffles me...

Looks like the one performing mental gymnastics here (and fumbling about the mat)...is you. DLC is DLC; if it's something you can download and acts as some type of continuation (narrative or otherwise) to an original offering it is, at the very least, some form of DLC. That doesn't mean it can't also be standalone content. Both can be valid simultaneously. So you are left floundering about once again making clearly controlled definition shifts and arguing semantics in order to try presenting what you say as anything substantial when in actuality it isn't.

Once again, the size of the additional content does not determine whether it is DLC or not. Whether it can or cannot be played without the original game content package does not change the fact it is still fundamentally DLC, when it is also being offered as a literal download with many contextual story beats that predicate themselves to a pre-existing main game in the franchise. Especially when considering that the "standalone game" content in question does not fit the game length requirements fans of the IP would expect for a full numbered/sequel release in that franchise.

Also quick aside, but if you want to really talk about it you're technically defending story expansion content that's only at most 2x the length of the Gears 5 story expansion content, being sold at 40x the price (which yes is a mathematical impossibility because 40 times Free would technically equal Free but you get the idea). You're literally arguing in favor of an inferior value proposition since you seem to hinge so much value on the game length as the point of most value in story expansion content.

Whoops...

I genuinely feel honored to have dismantled your ridiculously flawed points of argument in this thread to join your Ignore list. Gotta love when calm, objectively-framed logic wins out over emotionally charged rhetoric (y)

Last edited:
Go read a college thesis paper (better yet, write one), or read through any technological R&D research papers before thinking anything I write approaches being an "essay" unless you are genuinely that lazy a ready.

Hmmm :pie_thinking: I wonder what "Buy Download" could possibly mean?!? Baffles me...

Looks like the one performing mental gymnastics here (and fumbling about the mat)...is you. DLC is DLC; if it's something you can download and acts as some type of continuation (narrative or otherwise) to an original offering it is, at the very least, some form of DLC. That doesn't mean it can't also be standalone content. Both can be valid simultaneously. So you are left floundering about once again making clearly controlled definition shifts and arguing semantics in order to try presenting what you say as anything substantial when in actuality it isn't.

Once again, the size of the additional content does not determine whether it is DLC or not. Whether it can or cannot be played without the original game content package does not change the fact it is still fundamentally DLC, when it is also being offered as a literal download with many contextual story beats that predicate themselves to a pre-existing main game in the franchise. Especially when considering that the "standalone game" content in question does not fit the game length requirements fans of the IP would expect for a full numbered/sequel release in that franchise.

Also quick aside, but if you want to really talk about it you're technically defending story expansion content that's only at most 2x the length of the Gears 5 story expansion content, being sold at 40x the price (which yes is a mathematical impossibility because 40 times Free would technically equal Free but you get the idea). You're literally arguing in favor of an inferior value proposition since you seem to hinge so much value on the game length as the point of most value in story expansion content.

Whoops...

I genuinely feel honored to have dismantled your ridiculously flawed points of argument in this thread to join your Ignore list. Gotta love when calm, objectively-framed logic wins out over emotionally charged rhetoric (y)

You've figured it out. All games are DLC

Also where's confirmation that the Gears 5 story DLC is free?

Malcolm9

Res evil 3 is a remake. Not an addon to the original release. Uncharted lost legacy doesnt include a full previous release, does it? Also They said 5 to 10 hours. Lets not try to stretch it.

Seriously sony fans need to stop the double standards

It isn't an add on, is it really that hard to understand. They added in the original Spiderman for people who haven't played it, two games for the price of one.

You need to stop being so salty about Sony releasing great games for the PS5 launch.

It isn't an add on, is it really that hard to understand. They added in the original Spiderman for people who haven't played it, two games for the price of one.

You need to stop being so salty about Sony releasing great games for the PS5 launch.

That's one way they can market it and yes, it's a valid way to market it. But other people are perfectly within reason to posit that MM is an "add on", a story expansion, DLC or the such because canonically speaking MM takes place after Spiderman 2018, it's the much smaller content offering of the two (in terms of game length), it's releasing after Spiderman 2018 and only two years after at that.

Also we should be real here and admit that the particular reason some people are suddenly big-upping 1P launch games this time around is because the platform holder of their particular preferred box managed to actually get a nice stable of rather impressive 1P games out for launch this time around. However that also doesn't change the fact concessions were made, and that nice stable outside of one game (Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, which I don't know is coming to launch but if not it should definitely be launch-window ready) is built off the backs of story expansion DLC/standalone content, cross-gen games, a remake of a decade-old PS3 game, an and optimized remaster of a 2-year old game...plus the expected assortment of 3P games.

Not spoken as a knock against the 1P lineup for PS5 because I've said before I think it's the stronger of the two and R&C is probably my personal favorite from that stable followed by Demon's Souls, but I don't think it's a sin to have that anticipation and also be honest/objective with the reality of how things are they way they are, simultaneously 🤷‍♂️

You've figured it out. All games are DLC

Also where's confirmation that the Gears 5 story DLC is free?

Hot take; try eating the meat & potatoes not just the candy on top of the dessert.

I'm going by what I've seen other people mention on the DLC. Maybe there's a chance their wrong on the story DLC being free, but if it's also rolled into their optimized patch for the game on Series X and the optimized update is itself free, that would make the story DLC similar by relativity.

That's one way they can market it and yes, it's a valid way to market it. But other people are perfectly within reason to posit that MM is an "add on", a story expansion, DLC or the such because canonically speaking MM takes place after Spiderman 2018, it's the much smaller content offering of the two (in terms of game length), it's releasing after Spiderman 2018 and only two years after at that.

Also we should be real here and admit that the particular reason some people are suddenly big-upping 1P launch games this time around is because the platform holder of their particular preferred box managed to actually get a nice stable of rather impressive 1P games out for launch this time around. However that also doesn't change the fact concessions were made, and that nice stable outside of one game (Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, which I don't know is coming to launch but if not it should definitely be launch-window ready) is built off the backs of story expansion DLC/standalone content, cross-gen games, a remake of a decade-old PS3 game, an and optimized remaster of a 2-year old game...plus the expected assortment of 3P games.

Not spoken as a knock against the 1P lineup for PS5 because I've said before I think it's the stronger of the two and R&C is probably my personal favorite from that stable followed by Demon's Souls, but I don't think it's a sin to have that anticipation and also be honest/objective with the reality of how things are they way they are, simultaneously 🤷‍♂️

Hot take; try eating the meat & potatoes not just the candy on top of the dessert.

I'm going by what I've seen other people mention on the DLC. Maybe there's a chance their wrong on the story DLC being free, but if it's also rolled into their optimized patch for the game on Series X and the optimized update is itself free, that would make the story DLC similar by relativity.

According to you

DLC = Downloadable

DLC = Acts as a continuation to the original

All modern games are downloadable, and well scratch that, we can only consider sequels as continuations, so all sequals are DLC then? Just stick with the accepted defintion of DLC and stop trying to pull a new one out of your ass

They're seperate. The optimised patch is at launch. The DLC isn't. A 2 minute google search isn't hard

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

Whoops...

You are literally losing your shit over what? I said you made a giant post that took up half of a thread page. What correlation between it being like an essay did you not understand? Now your bringing up literally essays? I was using it as joke for your long ass post.

Hollyshit your having a meltdown.

oldergamer

Its an addon. I don't really care if they ship it as a standalone. if previous owners of spiderman have to re-buy it to get this, that is not cool.

Some of you sony fans are so full of it. You can't even admit when something is an addon. Nobody is questioning the quality of what's delivered. keep drinking the koolaid. They aren't giving you a full new game, its the equivalent of a collectors edition with added content.
Spiderman was a great game. I'm sure this is a great addon/expansion. Its still no different than what MS is doing with gears 5 outside the fact you need to pay for it.

Its an addon. I don't really care if they ship it as a standalone. if previous owners of spiderman have to re-buy it to get this, that is not cool.

Some of you sony fans are so full of it. You can't even admit when something is an addon. Nobody is questioning the quality of what's delivered. keep drinking the koolaid. They aren't giving you a full new game, its the equivalent of a collectors edition with added content.
Spiderman was a great game. I'm sure this is a great addon/expansion. Its still no different than what MS is doing with gears 5 outside the fact you need to pay for it.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps is downloadable content for Marvel’s Spider-Man. May be sold separately. Marvel’s Spider-Man required to play associated downloadable content.

That is an add-on and equivilent to what MS is doing for Gears

Learn the difference already. Not hard

Also you're not getting the Gears DLC for free. Guaranteed

Last edited:

oldergamer

Anyways back to Gears 5. I look forward to playing this addition on my series X for free. I'm hoping they have some visual updates for few more games that can last me until more first party releases are out.

oldergamer

That is an add-on and equivilent to what MS is doing for Gears

Learn the difference already. Not hard

Also you're not getting the Gears DLC for free. Guaranteed
What is the difference between that "addon" for spiderman and what MM is? The length of the content and the graphical improvements are the only differences? Actually those previous spiderman addons say they are a similar length with 5 hours.

You were probably one of the people running around claiming how spiderman MM was a true next gen title built from the ground up for PS5 (when it clearly wasn't as it releases on PS4). keep drinking the koolaid.

Anyway, if they do charge for the gears addon, that makes it even more similar to Spiderman MM

What is the difference between that "addon" for spiderman and what MM is? The length of the content and the graphical improvements are the only differences? Actually those previous spiderman addons say they are a similar length with 5 hours.

You were probably one of the people running around claiming how spiderman MM was a true next gen title built from the ground up for PS5 (when it clearly wasn't as it releases on PS4). keep drinking the koolaid.

Anyway, if they do charge for the gears addon, that makes it even more similar to Spiderman MM

Whats the difference between Gears 4 and Gears 5? Just graphical improvements and a different story?

See how dumb your argument sounds?

If you want to throw bs around for things i've claimed then just use the search function so you don't look so stupid with your fail strawmans

Also where are you getting this nonsense that its just 5 hours?

Last edited:

oldergamer

Whats the difference between Gears 4 and Gears 5? Just graphical improvements and a different story?

See how dumb your argument sounds?

If you want to throw bs around for things i've claimed then just use the search function so you don't look so stupid with your fail strawmans

Also where are you getting this nonsense that its just 5 hours?
Whats the difference??? Gears 5 doesnt come with or require gears 4 to be installed. They are totally separate from each other. Its pretty simple for people with any sense.

But go on claiming spiderman Mm is an entirely new small game despite the fact it comes with and requires spiderman to be installed. You are like talking to a rock.

Whats the difference??? Gears 5 doesnt come with or require gears 4 to be installed. They are totally separate from each other. Its pretty simple for people with any sense.

But go on claiming spiderman Mm is an entirely new small game despite the fact it comes with and requires spiderman to be installed. You are like talking to a rock.

MM doesn't require Spiderman you numpty. GG confirming you don't have any sense

Actually research before you preach nonsense

Last edited:

oldergamer

Oh so you are telling me that you dont need to install spiderman that they include on the same disc in order to play MM? Of course you fucking do. Thats why its on the disc. Stop being stupid.

Oh so you are telling me that you dont need to install spiderman that they include on the same disc in order to play MM? Of course you fucking do. Thats why its on the disc. Stop being stupid.

Spiderman is included with the ultimate edition. The standard edition does not

Why can't you do a basic google search so you don't look like a fucking idiot?

Last edited:
I dont get it, is Batista some character from the lore, or is it the wrestling star?

Because it looks nothing like Batista the wrestling star.

oldergamer

Spiderman is included with the ultimate edition. The standard edition does not

Why can't you do a basic google search so you don't look like a fucking idiot?
I only knew about the ultimate addition. The standard addition is way worse then i was thinking from a value standpoint. Charged for a near full price game even though its 5 to 10 hours? When each addon to the original game is only 5 hrs?

You are right, standard addition is stand alone. I can admit when im wrong. Even tho u are a complete ass about it im man enough to say i was wrong.

I only knew about the ultimate addition. The standard addition is way worse then i was thinking from a value standpoint. Charged for a near full price game even though its 5 to 10 hours? When each addon to the original game is only 5 hrs?

You are right, standard addition is stand alone. I can admit when im wrong. Even tho u are a complete ass about it im man enough to say i was wrong.

Still on with that 5 hour nonsense

It's a 10+ hour game.

Lol wasn't even the Sony camp that derailed the thread to Spiderman

WildBoy WildBoy made a passing reference to it as something they'd play somewhere else. tryDEATH tryDEATH made a reference to it somewhat more directly.

I made an explicit reference to it to show how stupid Papacheeks Papacheeks 's comment was when the two have more in common than they do different, and picked apart his flawed logic throughout the rest of the thread. If that somehow convinces you to be small-minded and place me in a "camp" then that is your issue, I've shown more than once I like a lot of things on both platforms.

Also since you finally decided to respond with something that wasn't a bad punchline at an empty low-rent comedy shack down the alley of a run-down pub, then I'll respond with this: you oversimplify the point. DLC is any content that is offered in a downloadable form which can be experienced, either explicitly or as a choice by the end-user, with other relevant content.

So if that content is a story expansion of some determined length (which can be any length; length doesn't suddenly change the nature of something being DLC if there is no clear delineation of that content on behalf of the developers in the way a genuine sequel would be), and can be downloaded for play while at least some major part of the story is contingent on storylines established by a previous offering, then whether it's also available as a standalone release doesn't change the fact it is still DLC. You just have multiple ways of playing it.

You obviously wouldn't call Cyberpunk DLC for Witcher 3; two different narrative universes far-removed from each other, no option to buy Cyberpunk as a downloadable content package for Witcher 3, no story elements in Cyberpunk that fundamentally predicate themselves to any of the story beats in Witcher 3, completely different game mechanics, engines, systems etc. between the two games, etc. Don't be so facetious.

WildBoy WildBoy made a passing reference to it as something they'd play somewhere else. tryDEATH tryDEATH made a reference to it somewhat more directly.

I made an explicit reference to it to show how stupid Papacheeks Papacheeks 's comment was when the two have more in common than they do different, and picked apart his flawed logic throughout the rest of the thread. If that somehow convinces you to be small-minded and place me in a "camp" then that is your issue, I've shown more than once I like a lot of things on both platforms.

Also since you finally decided to respond with something that wasn't a bad punchline at an empty low-rent comedy shack down the alley of a run-down pub, then I'll respond with this: you oversimplify the point. DLC is any content that is offered in a downloadable form which can be experienced, either explicitly or as a choice by the end-user, with other relevant content.

So if that content is a story expansion of some determined length (which can be any length; length doesn't suddenly change the nature of something being DLC if there is no clear delineation of that content on behalf of the developers in the way a genuine sequel would be), and can be downloaded for play while at least some major part of the story is contingent on storylines established by a previous offering, then whether it's also available as a standalone release doesn't change the fact it is still DLC. You just have multiple ways of playing it.

You obviously wouldn't call Cyberpunk DLC for Witcher 3; two different narrative universes far-removed from each other, no option to buy Cyberpunk as a downloadable content package for Witcher 3, no story elements in Cyberpunk that fundamentally predicate themselves to any of the story beats in Witcher 3, completely different game mechanics, engines, systems etc. between the two games, etc. Don't be so facetious.

Once again you continue to talk a whole lot of nonsense that no one is going to bother to properly read

Downloadable content (DLC) is additional content created for an already released video game, distributed through the Internet by the game's publisher. It can either be added for no extra cost or it can be a form of video game monetization,[1]

That's what DLC is. And I didn't even need to write an essay!

Last edited:
None of that refutes what I've been saying. And it's not my fault you have a slow typing speed :S

Yes it does. Search on the internet and the reference to the definition of DLC you've given will only ever lead back to you. AKA pulled out of your ass.

DLC = addons

Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's about not wasting people's time. I prefer getting my point across in as few words as possible instead of inflating it to look smarter than I am. It's actually a skill which I think you desperatley need.

Edit - Also I love how you used Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 as an example to try refute my point. Shows how you're also lacking in comprehension

Last edited:
Its the wrestler and it looks spot on like him.

Spot on? In the way that both have 1 nose, 2 eyes and a mouth, but thats about it.

batista-2-696x385.jpg

Yup, spot on....for a blind guy.

Ten_Fold

Gears 5 is more or less the answer to spider man imo. I prefer gears so I’ll give Microsoft the plus on this. The DLC is pretty much their launch game.

Top Bottom