• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 3 PS3 build video uploaded to Youtube

Riven326

Banned
I still have Unreal on PS3 and I bought the Gears games on 360. UT was faster paced and looked insane. Better effects too.
UT ran on, at the point of the Gears 3 launch, a very old version of UE3. It was inferior to Gears 3 in every conceivable way. Moreover, I vividly remember a BioWare panel at the time of Mass Effect 3. A software engineer was asked, what was the most challenging aspect of development for ME3? He answered: "PS3 performance".

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I attended an event that had this sitting on a table outside. Looked pretty good. Didn't get to play it because I was already late for the event. Glad it's finally out

lock2k

Banned
I loved Gears 1, 2 and 3.

I played 4 and thought it was meh and I installed 5 and deleted it.

I don't know what happened. It seems to have lost its mojo. Or my tastes changed. I really don't know,but I couldn't care less about it.

I loved the gritty aspect of the originals. I know the new one looks like a beast but it just won't grab me.

Codes 208

I don't know what happened. It seems to have lost its mojo. Or my tastes changed. I really don't know,but I couldn't care less about it.

I loved the gritty aspect of the originals. I know the new one looks like a beast but it just won't grab me.
Same thing as halo. New developer, new visionaries and the misinterpretation of what the fans liked about the original led to half-baked ideas and mixed with a pinch of modern fortnite-esque dlc greed

gears 4 wasnt terrible, but it was definitely a bit too safe (like a gears 3.5) and for multiplayer they added a shitty lootbox system for customizations.

gears 5 was more like the campaign is prettybut it really does seem like they ran out of ideas, they even added a “choose your own adventure” bullshit regarding who dies. And the multiplayer does things a bit differently than 4 but its still pretty glitchy and theres only like 3-5 playable maps per gametype with a fortnite style progression system which is somehow WORSE than their lootboxes.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Interesting, but small half height pop up wall shooters died 10 years ago. Leave them buried.
That is the most obnoxious self centereddestructive attitude possible,herp derp , I'm not interested stop making them. That attitude is why we got so many games that tried to conform to other call of duty for a few years, that attitude would never have seen doom 2016 , streets of rage 4 , would have killed fire emblem, dmc 5, remake 2 and so many others but herp derp dems not popular genre no more stop making them! Derp!

Interestng.

To be honest, If it got released digitally, or whatever, on PS3 this year, in a more optimized condition, I'd consider buying it.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned

The story concluded. There was no point in continuing unless they were going to reboot it like God of War. I always thought Gears 4 should have been in space with other planets and stuff. I mean, the planet was fucked. Why stay? Why not jump forward in the future? Could you imagine that Gears art style applied to a space setting? It would have been awesome.

But instead, otherwise creative people, chose not to be creative, and attempted to remake the previous games. They even reused the locust, gave them a different name and slightly different skin texture, and called it a day. The new games are uncreative, pandering, dog shit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish they had released this. I sold my x360 by the time gears 3 came out so I only played the first 2 games. I still have my ps3 to this day though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
But you wouldn't port the whole game, though, right?

Seems like they could have just done a vertical slice of a level or so if they wanted to use a new Gears as a tech demo for selling the engine (though by the time of Gears 3, Epic hardly needed help getting Unreal Engine 3 licensed or shown off.)

Or similarly, they could have used just portions of the game as internal test material, like "Hey Gears 3 team, we want to get Hair optimized for PS3 in the next UE3 build, could you take what you have of the Gears 3 project that's using the new Hair system and do a test-run on PS3 so we could refine it and catch some errors?"

Or I guess they could have used the full game code as a multiplatform test of the finalizer, making sure that a new version of the exporter could write a fully playable executeable on each platform of the latest UE3 components, using the vanguard Gears 3 project as the sample (is there also a PC build somewhere in storage? Is there like an unplayable iOS export attempt in the cabinet, where they stress-tested UE3 on phones by seeing what the development suite would do if you tried to spit Gears onto it?) Why though, other than novelty, would the company keep the build once you've done a test-pressing?

I'm not in development, but I'm not yet seeing why you would do a fully playable port?

Yea, I think they would port the whole game, because that's the best way to test. There probably is a PC port of it for that reason. It is after all a multiplatform engine and their improvements/versions were funneled through GoW games at that time.

Based on what Epic said, that appears to have been the case:

In a statement to USgamer, an Epic spokesperson commented on the footage that surfaced today, clarifying the nature of it.

"This footage is a byproduct of Epic's internal Unreal Engine 3 testing process, which utilized both Gears and Unreal Tournament, and was never part of any actual product work for PlayStation 3," the spokesperson says.

you means Gears.

Gears = Gears of War
GoW = God of War

hell this is so much of a hot topic that coalition even renamed the series to just Gears. (Gears 5, Gears Tactics and almost Gears 4)

I refuse to acknowledge this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gears 3 on PS3 looked terrible. Washed out colours, hitchy frame rate, and some humongous big brown polygon glitching right into the screen.

If it released on PS3, it would probably run at 18 fps.

lock2k

Banned
The story concluded. There was no point in continuing unless they were going to reboot it like God of War. I always thought Gears 4 should have been in space with other planets and stuff. I mean, the planet was fucked. Why stay? Why not jump forward in the future? Could you imagine that Gears art style applied to a space setting? It would have been awesome.

But instead, otherwise creative people, chose not to be creative, and attempted to remake the previous games. They even reused the locust, gave them a different name and slightly different skin texture, and called it a day. The new games are uncreative, pandering, dog shit.
You comment NAILS it.

angelic

Banned
That is the most obnoxious self centereddestructive attitude possible,herp derp , I'm not interested stop making them. That attitude is why we got so many games that tried to conform to other call of duty for a few years, that attitude would never have seen doom 2016 , streets of rage 4 , would have killed fire emblem, dmc 5, remake 2 and so many others but herp derp dems not popular genre no more stop making them! Derp!

Spectacularly dim, love it.

stranno

I would play it. Framerate looks trash, but if you compare it with games like Gundam Crossfire, it performs like a dream. And it was a retail game.

Cliffy said it's fake. Or maybe he is butthurted???
He's just butt hurt. There was a thread on Reddit about it, dude is just trying to be relevant and lying through his teeth. They proved the build was real and then he tried back pedaling it saying it must have been someone else internally working on it without his knowledge. Like he wouldn't know. He's a piece of shit.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Wait, MS studios vancouver became the coalition. what you wrote sounds like MS bought them from Epic, which they didn't.
Its indeed a new studio created from ground up. I guess I should have worded it better. A lot of engineers from Epic's Gears of War team joined the Coalition.

YCoCg

I'm confused about the comments of this not being able to run on a PS3, I may be mistaken but wasn't Bulletstorm using the same engine base? And that came out in 2011 as well on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

iHaunter

Was a possible port to Playstation the reason Microsoft bought the IP?

I'm sure it is. Gears and Halo is all they had/have. There must've been a way to optimize it to run on less RAM. But point is moot I suppose.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Remember the story that Epic showed Microsoft what Gears of War would look like if they had to run it with just 256MB of ram? This was it, rumor has it that this was the deciding factor of why MS went with 512MB of unified ram :pie_sfwt:

lock2k

Banned
I'm confused about the comments of this not being able to run on a PS3, I may be mistaken but wasn't Bulletstorm using the same engine base? And that came out in 2011 as well on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Yeah, I have the same doubts. I mean... it clearly wasn't optimized for PS3 (in Gears case) but that doesn't mean it couldn't run it, because it did run some incredibly demanding games as well.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Epic forced Microsoft to double the RAM on Xbox 360 because Gears of War couldnt run on 256 MB RAM.

jaysius

Banned
Watching this makes me remember how bad the Gears 5 campaign was compared to Gears 3, story and gameplay wise(gears 5 with the awful boss figths that require 2 people because the AI doesn't handle it at all).

Last edited:
Top Bottom