• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

Just had a quick look through the Gears of War forums and, as anyone who has been entrenched in the scene for the last 10 years will tell you, it's a predictable bloodbath off differing opinions and insults.

No one can agree on how this game/series should be balanced.

I'm very intrigued to see how The Coalition tackle feedback from the beta. They've got a lot of big decisions right but there's plenty I feel they need to take back to the drawing board.

How they tweak the Gnasher, deal with actives and balance time-to-kill moving forward will make or break the game for me.

Official Forums for almost any game turn into giant cesspool honestly. They are filled with over committed fans that look for any excuse to feel threatened that "their" franchise is being destroyed.

Just being honest. I've seen plenty that start out great but more often than not in the long run they are just non stop complaints

If the Coalition are smart they won't take a whole lot from the opinions there. They will look at the raw data and poll more broad demo's

They will definitely change the active system. I don't think I've seen anyone wanting to keep the current system. When it comes to weapon balancing they will have all the raw data from this beta. That will most likely be the biggest source for which weapons they will change.

After a hour or two of horrible matches last night (like I was going 0.5 typically and a good match was if I barely broke even haha) I finally started to hit my stride and shake off the rust.

I've been playing since Gears 1 and after fiddling with my controller sensitivity I was getting it again. Played for another hour today and probably had only one match where I just want to broke even with the rest being 3.0+ matches typically.

Can't say I've played enough though to notice large differences in TTK or weapon damage. So far Gnasher feels good, Lancer seems decent though the projectiles seem to travel slow, Hammerburst needs a upgrade though, reticule is huge and it seems like the damage doesn't outweigh its inaccuracy. Dropshot is a fun gun, hope they got a few more additions of the same quality and not shit like the breachshot or marzka...

Maps seem okay. I like the settings for dam and dock but coalition is pretty boring. I hope the other maps introduce some more verticality, so far they feel a little bit too much like plazas with a lot of walls. Having the high ground doesn't mean much since you can't really see or hit shit more than 30 feet away.

MrBlonde

I honestly just wish they would get rid of active reload damage, it would help the game be more skill based rather then someone reloading at the right time.... I am also not crazy about these 3 maps which worries me a little. Still day 1 but not sure at this point if this will last with me as long as the previous ones

aBarreras

Lol seriously. Dunno why people even bother.

"Ugh I played Videogame 4 Beta, and I didn't like video game 1-3 this one hasn't changed into what I like. Shit game!"

It wasnt good back then he says, and yet here we are 10 years later with the fifth game on the making

SwolBro

Banned
Lol seriously. Dunno why people even bother.

"Ugh I played Videogame 4 Beta, and I didn't like video game 1-3 this one hasn't changed into what I like. Shit game!"
Yeah, i don't understand how that's not a bannable offense.

They will definitely change the active system. I don't think I've seen anyone wanting to keep the current system. When it comes to weapon balancing they will have all the raw data from this beta. That will most likely be the biggest source for which weapons they will change.

What does raw data show though? Data doesn't mean anything if your design philosophy isn't on point and i don't think the Coalition has one outside of "lets just make a more consistent 60fps gears of war 3"

SickBoy

Just had a quick look through the Gears of War forums and, as anyone who has been entrenched in the scene for the last 10 years will tell you, it's a predictable bloodbath off differing opinions and insults.

No one can agree on how this game/series should be balanced.

This doesn't really surprise me. I was majorly into Gears 1 for a time, and while I've played all the games since, I've really only dipped my toe into the multiplayer waters (Gears 2 and Judgment... not sure about 3). As someone who felt really grounded in the original, I've never really gotten a feel for the other games and I feel like there's less continuity between the way they feel than you get in a lot of shooters.

The beta feels kinda like an update to the original, which is fine by me.... but the skills I once had are long gone.

Marvel

could never
Official Forums for almost any game turn into giant cesspool honestly. They are filled with over committed fans that look for any excuse to feel threatened that "their" franchise is being destroyed.

Just being honest. I've seen plenty that start out great but more often than not in the long run they are just non stop complaints

If the Coalition are smart they won't take a whole lot from the opinions there. They will look at the raw data and poll more broad demo's
Absolutely.

As a longtime member there myself, it really is a shitty place where getting mature and clear feedback is a rare thing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I honestly just wish they would get rid of active reload damage, it would help the game be more skill based rather then someone reloading at the right time.... I am also not crazy about these 3 maps which worries me a little. Still day 1 but not sure at this point if this will last with me as long as the previous ones

Active reloading before and during battles is a skill, son

Arjen

My thoughts after hitting level 20 last night.
Gnasher is great, there were hardly any moment were I or friends were screaming: this is bullshit. Which is a big step up from previous games Hehe. Snub seems the same as UE, works great. Lancer seems a bit underpowered and the hsmmerburst is useless.
Maps were really boring tbh. Hoping for more diversity in the full game, maybe with some elevation like we had in Canals for example.

krang

My thoughts after hitting level 20 last night.
Gnasher is great, there were hardly any moment were I or friends were screaming: this is bullshit. Which is a big step up from previous games Hehe. Snub seems the same as UE, works great. Lancer seems a bit underpowered and the hsmmerburst is useless.
Maps were really boring tbh. Hoping for more diversity in the full game, maybe with some elevation like we had in Canals for example.

I agree. It needs to be a viable competitor to the gnasher in terms of usefulness, but it takes a full clip of near-zero misses to take someone down, and then a reload before taking them out.

At the moment the lancer just feels like a way of driving people into cover rather than being a useful weapon. We're not talking a huge amount more grunt.

Moofers

This just in: Gears 4 to be an official crossover with WWE. Many wrestlers will be available as character skins in multiplayer. Ted Dibiase, "The Million Dollar Man" will play a big role in Horde mode since you buy fortifications between rounds. I believe he is the one financing the war against the Swarm (obviously he turned face), so that makes sense. Hammer of Dawn to be replaced with Macho Man Randy Savage "Orbital Elbow Drop". More details to come....

not serious

Got 99 on a guy who chunked me. Damn that hurts. Hammerburst is near useless. It should just be the Gears 3 hammerburst or buff it and make the Retro the semi-auto rifle. I also think the old way of actives was better. I can't figure out a reason for the change. Also I think Gnasher battles are too short right now. With a full clip of actives at all times everything is over so fast. There's no dance of death.

Ivan 3414

Will this game have another shotgun in the final release? I'm not a fan of the Gnasher and how dominant it has been for the entirety of Gears. I'd love some variety.

aBarreras

man, gears needs a total revamped spawn system, because the currently sucks! and it is not because it is an alpha, it sucked on Gears 3 as well

Ivan 3414

Guessing the servers are down? According to the official Twitter maintenance was supposed to begin at 12 PM EST for two hours, but it's been longer than that

Will this game have another shotgun in the final release? I'm not a fan of the Gnasher and how dominant it has been for the entirety of Gears. I'd love some variety.

They had the sawed off shotgun in Gears 3, but its not in this one iirc. Perhaps you should focus on getting power weapons and being good with those? Dropshot is awesome, boom, sniper, torque... require some mastering (some more than others)

LAA

From playing it, I have one thing I can say I'm disappointed with is it isn't doing much, if anything, to really shake up the formula. Gears 3 is where it was feeling stale, didn't really bother with judgement, 4 isn't do much to feel like it's fresh, other than new weapons.
I can't even say the graphics seem much better than the gears of the 360 era. Probably rendered at a higher resolution but that's all I can say.
That and as expected it's a shotgun fest out there.

Hopefully the campaign is good. Never cared for multiplayer so much on gears anyway. More horde if anything.

From playing it, I have one thing I can say I'm disappointed with is it isn't doing much, if anything, to really shake up the formula. Gears 3 is where it was feeling stale, didn't really bother with judgement, 4 isn't do much to feel like it's fresh, other than new weapons.
I can't even say the graphics seem much better than the gears of the 360 era. Probably rendered at a higher resolution but that's all I can say.
That and as expected it's a shotgun fest out there.

Hopefully the campaign is good. Never cared for multiplayer so much on gears anyway. More horde if anything.
You really should have played it to get the "shake up" you're looking for.

Wait, so if you throw a smoke in thr vicinity of a teammates walltagged frag, it will blow it up, kill you, and count it as a suicide? That's stupid.

I haven't noticed that, but yeah, that is definitely stupid and they will probably change that. I can't see many wanting it like that.

So I played gears 1 ultimate edition again and holy shit this beta is a massive improvement over that

Yup.

adding more guns where they're not needed will only create problems with balance. it happened in Gears3 with the Retro and Sawed-off.

the retro became an all purpose weapon that had very little drawbacks and teams would end up exploiting it at all ranges. then the Sawed-off rushers kind of killed off the iconic Gnasher battles by running in, shooting once and running away to reload. very lame

im really disappointed that shitty Retro is making at return, even if it's in name only.

I haven't noticed that, but yeah, that is definitely stupid and they will probably change that. I can't see many wanting it like that.

pretty sure that's how it worked in gears3

-all the gears regulars are back on UE on my friends list
-gears forum is shitting on it deservedly
-I had to google search this thread and the beta isn't even over yet

lol wonder if this train wreck will die faster than judgment

I mean, I would hope Gears 4 plays better than a ten year old game with updated visuals. What a silly comparison.

Gears 3 is what this game should be compared to and currently it isn't up to that standard.

I'm not against changes and what not, but as of now, the game lacks the tense atmosphere than Gears 3(still has) and Gears 1 had back in the day. Not to mention, it just doesn't have the sense of weight when controlling a character that Gears 3 does either.

The good news is this is an old build and they have six months. At this point I don't even give a shit about graphics. I just want it to play smooth and balanced. Bring back the intensity.

thats why you leave feedback instead of bitchin and complainin over a beta

Kordelle

Maybe they went back to UE because they dont want to play the same 3 maps over and over again? Thats why my friends play UE now.

Leave constructive feedback. Unless you don't care to make the game better but then why be a part of a beta.

I don't remember being able to trigger a team mate's tagged grenades with a smoke grenade. But I haven't played Gears 3 in two years or something like that.

I think I remember trolling my friends by detonating their grenades with my smokes in 3. Could be wrong though.

Eos

Lol get good
Gears 4 is leagues ahead of UE

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't really heard much about this game. Is it supposed to come out for Windows? Maybe cross-platform play with X1 users?

Played Dodge Ball a few days ago. I approve of it, its really fun and can get tense, certainly feels like a good addition.

I just wish they would add a clear indicator that someone has Spawn Invincibility. If they know, I should too, especially in Dodgeball where they can spawn pretty close.

They should lose it when they take a shot too, come on!

Sometimes this game is very hard to play.
RIbgbBk.gif

Top Bottom