• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 install time on Xbox... WTF?!!!

So about an hour and a half ago I got Gears 4 from Gamefly and I started installing it. I went offline because I heard installs were faster that way and when it was about 60% complete (about half an hour) I went back online to start the game. Xbone DELETED that 60% and started over, but now for some reason the install is waaay slower. After an hour it's at 25%. And what's worse it said "ready to start" but when I get into the game only options menu is available.

HOW IS THIS STILL A THING? How do Xbox owners deal with it? I primarily play games on PS4, so it's rare that I have to deal with this bullshit, but even once for a game that I'm excited to play seems like too much...

Jumeira

Banned
I pre load via Digital purchases, only faced this issue on launch, but yeah there's no excuse, they need to fix it.

It's not a problem I personally encounter though.

Shin-Ra

I'm sorry people aren't reading or comprehending your first post, OP.

You'd expect to be able to start playing the single-player campaign after 60% is installed offline.

With Xbox One I think digital is the best way to go. Installing from the disc is unbearable
Most people don't have broadband anywhere near the equivalent of a 6x Blu-ray drive which is about 27MBytes/sec.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I went offline because I heard installs were faster that way and when it was about 60% complete (about half an hour) I went back online to start the game. Xbone DELETED that 60% and started over
*Resident_UA takes Xbone offline*
*Xbone will remember that.*

Max_Po

Banned
Every major release there is a similar thread, mostly because of new owners of xbox who come in and experince the utter shit XboxOne OS.

Then you go in the Backward Compatibility thread and people are kissing ass of MS Software Magician Engineer... and then you come and read these threads....

Entertaining...

Muffdraul

I assume you just bought an XBone and this is your first big game install? This is how it's been since launch day three years ago, I remember I only got to play a couple minutes of Ryse before going to bed that night.

Roufianos

Mine took a fucking hour and a half to even be able to play the campaign. It's honestly ridiculous.

Thank god I have a PS4 because I'd hate to do that with every new release.

Norse

Yeah, MS needs to change installs....it shouldn't tell you about an update until after you try to launch the game. Not when you just start to install it.

Good rule when installing is to answer no to the update. Then when completed with install you launch game and say yes to the update. No need to go offline.

it DOES NOT download the whole game. it is doing the 2 things at times, downloading the patch and installing the disc

Why is sooooo slow then? It's just weird...

Plus it does say that only 16gb are installed out of 54gb and it's been like an hour since I went back online...

With Xbox One I think digital is the best way to go. Installing from the disc is unbearable

I second this. I only buy games on disc when they're heavily discounted and I don't want to play right away. I then get home, start the install process, and just play something else.

Plus it does say that only 16gb are installed out of 54gb and it's been like an hour since I went back online...

I think I remember reading that the Mbps count is BS when you're installing from a disc for a game with an update. It's actually just showing the transfer speed (from disc to hard drive) rather than the download speed of the update.

Yeah, MS needs to change installs....it shouldn't tell you about an update until after you try to launch the game. Not when you just start to install it.

Good rule when installing is to answer no to the update. Then when completed with install you launch game and say yes to the update. No need to go offline.

I feel like I should have done that... Will have to remember for the next Xbone exclusive I want to play :)

c0de

Every major release there is a similar thread, mostly because of new owners of xbox who come in and experince the utter shit XboxOne OS.

Then you go in the Backward Compatibility thread and people are kissing ass of MS Software Magician Engineer... and then you come and read these threads....

Entertaining...

Amazing how something on a console can be bad and a totally different thing can be awesome, isn't it?

amdb00mer

Entertaining...

I think your in the wrong thread. Sounds like you might be looking for a Sony thread. No apology needed. Please show yourself out.

OT: I think going back online mid install was a bad idea. It probably decided to go ahead and grab the update. They really should go back to how the X360 and PS3/PS4 allow you to ignore the update and play offline and continue the install.

jesu

You can look at your bandwidth usage in the network settings and see how much has been downloaded from xbl since you started the install.
You can look at the total installed to see how much has came off the disc.

Now it stopped at 32% and it's not even giving me download speed anymore, but it's saying "ready to play". In the main menu it says that every option including "store" is 91% installed. LOL

What should I do? Start over?

jesu

Now it stopped at 32% and it's not even giving me download speed anymore, but it's saying "ready to play". In the main menu it says that every option including "store" is 91% installed. LOL

What should I do? Start over?

You could install the game and refuse the patch, at least you'll get to play something that way.
Still takes 40 minutes though!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You installing to a internal or external hdd? I installed it the other day in 35 minutes 100% from disc.

Yeah it was pretty bad for me too. Got to 46% then tried to update so it restarted, then got to 22% so I opened it up to look at the title screen (it was late and I had nothing else to do lol), then when I backed out it had dropped to 15%.

And I can't even play now because my eyes are dilated, and this is after Amazon goofed and shipped it to me a day late. Oh well.

It's installed!!

Total time is under 2 hours including 11gb download. I would be a lot less angry if at least user interface was telling me what was happening with install process rather than throwing random percentages at me. Also getting to main menu does not mean "ready to play"...

Max_Po

Banned
I think your in the wrong thread. Sounds like you might be looking for a Sony thread. No apology needed. Please show yourself out.

OT: I think going back online mid install was a bad idea. It probably decided to go ahead and grab the update. They really should go back to how the X360 ans PS3/PS4 allow you to ignore the update and play offline and continue the install.

ROFL... Microsoft Engineers are working on SONY's console ?

Yeah it was pretty bad for me too. Got to 46% then tried to update so it restarted, then got to 22% so I opened it up to look at the title screen (it was late and I had nothing else to do lol), then when I backed out it had dropped to 15%.

And I can't even play now because my eyes are dilated, and this is after Amazon goofed and shipped it to me a day late. Oh well.

I think you just need to leave it alone for an hour (if you have good internet speed). I just discovered that those percentages don't mean anything...

DieH@rd

Banned
It's installed!!

Total time is under 2 hours including 11gb download. I would be a lot less angry if at least user interface was telling me what was happening with install process rather than throwing random percentages at me. Also getting to main menu does not mean "ready to play"...

Man, 2 hours for game install in 2016. PlayGo and non-mandatory patches makes things go so quick on PS4.

EmiPrime

Amazing how something on a console can be bad and a totally different thing can be awesome, isn't it?

Indeed. The awful things about Xbox One don't erase the great things. It's a console with really high highs and really low lows and for the sake of any reasonable discussion, it's important to recognise both.

farisr

Install took about 70 minutes (45 minutes for install from the disc offline, 25 minutes to download & install the game update)

What I don't get is the system update download/install times.

Had to update yesterday, it downloaded 280mb at the speed I'd expect it to based off my connection (about 20-30 seconds), and then proceeded to take 10+ minutes to download the last 70mb of the update. This isn't just a one time occurrence, happens every time at varying speeds for that last whatever amount of data. It'd be somewhat understandable if it was installing at the same time (even then, the install shouldn't take 10 minutes), but the install takes place after the download anyways, so that's not the case.

Thankfully game updates don't act this way, from what I've seen at least. They're at a consistent, predictable speed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
2 hours to install a game. Yeah. I don't think I'll ever get an Xbox One.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Mafia 3 took me more than 30 minutes to install, and it didn`t even have a patch when I installed it. Couldn`t launch the game until it was 100% done. Gears of War 4 is even bigger.

When get a new xbone game you put the disk in and walk away for 2 hours.
It should say that on the box.

^ It was well over an hour before the game installed on my system and that was before the 11gb update. The way xbone handles installs and patches reminds me of PS3 games that had mandatory installs and numerous patches before you were able to play.

It's fucking pathetic that MS has not fixed it in three years.

Entertaining...

What's more entertaining is the realization that everything has pros and cons.

Yes, every game and there is not a single person in this thread where it went faster. I wonder how people can deal with that.

Digital games and pre-loading really. For games that I know I'm going to want on day one, I pre-order digitally and it's already downloaded and on my console by the time it's out. For anything else I buy it on sale and I'm not really in a rush to play. Digital games take next to no time to download/install for me.

c0de

^ It was well over an hour before the game installed on my system and that was before the 11gb update. The way xbone handles installs and patches reminds me of PS3 games that had mandatory installs and numerous patches before you were able to play.

It's fucking pathetic that MS has not fixed it in three years.

How can it take you more than an hour and around 35 minutes for a different user?
Also, the problem is with disc games and when you install them and choose to apply the patch directly, right? If it's installed once, patches are like with ps4, aren't they?

Top Bottom