• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

Uraizen

Banned
I will give you a refund to anyone who got the code revoked from me, just PM me with the info...

Like i said to many of you, i'm working with a etail reseller, the codes dont come from the amazon glitch... but because there is no proof of purchasing i will go with the refund..

Sorry to everyone...

I can back this up. He sold one to me before the Amazon glitch even happened and told me where it came from when I asked. I got a refund this morning.

tmtyf

Not all keys were revoked, apparently only illegitimate keys and no genuine ones. They're not going to admit to making any mistakes here though, best to e-mail Nvidia as per this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218686478&postcount=1432

They definitely hit some valid keys along with the illegitimate ones, a buddy had to email Nvidia since his got revoked and he didn't do the cancellation trick. It's a bit of a pain but if you email Nvidia with Proof of Purchase they will get back to you.

Arkanius

No. We know exactly which codes were obtained illegitimately. We have revoked only those.

If you email NVIDIA with proof of purchase, they will hook you up.

You guys just contradicted yourselves. The net is clearly wider, but I guess it's easier to fix the legit cases or there is some overlap between both.

Anyway, awaiting the refund. Will buy the game on a later date when it's not 70€ on the European store.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Genuinely surprised they did this.
At least we all learned something.

You're surprised?

When potentially 1000s upon 1000s of codes were obtained through incorrect means, the amount of money being lost is too much it makes perfect sense for nvidia,ms, and amazon to try and get things under control.

Not to mention it sets a precedent and allows company to recover "stolen" goods.

Whether you agree with that precedent is up to you.

BornToPlay refunded me.

Not sure what I'm going to do now as paying £50 for a digital PC game is crazy. Shame a great game is priced so badly. I could get it at retail on X1 for nearly £15 cheaper.

Pure greed.

It's a game that I'm guessing cost well over 100 million dollars to make and market. It was created by a publicly traded corporation that has a board of directors and shareholders. What more do you honestly expect? If it fails to sell well I'm sure you'll see it with a heavy discount pretty quickly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
which is it? do you guys know which keys are illegitimate or is there a possibility that some legitimate orders were also thrown in the batch?

I don't see the point in this arguing.

Amazon has a database and should easily be able to match who with who, but depending on the state of the order it is entirely possible that a code was wrongly revoked and if that was the case, email nvidia and they will take care of you. Nobody who was a purchaser of a legitimate key should get screwed.

Other than the word of anonymous posters, we have no idea if legit purchasers are getting revoked. I suspect that some scammers will try and make it seem like they were legit and then complain when it doesn't go their way.

All I know is that I am a legit 1070 purchaser and was NOT revoked.

hollomat

Banned
No. We know exactly which codes were obtained illegitimately. We have revoked only those.

If you email NVIDIA with proof of purchase, they will hook you up.

If only the illegimate codes were revoked, then no one should need to email NVIDIA with proof of purchase since their legimate code wouldn't have been revoked.

Unless it wasn't just the illegitimate codes being revoked, which I strongly suspect is the case.

I bought a code for $40 off eBay before the Amazon scam became well known. It got revoked last night and now I've filed for a refund from the seller. Hopefully it was actually an illegitimate key otherwise you've created a huge hassle for an honest guy.

fwpx

So I can be sure my key is okay by going into the store and installing the 80 gigs, and then trying to hit play?

If only the illegimate codes were revoked, then no one should need to email NVIDIA with proof of purchase since their legimate code wouldn't have been revoked.

Unless it wasn't just the illegitimate codes being revoked, which I strongly suspect is the case.

Pretty much this. Not sure why'd he'd make the original statement so matter of factly only to contradict himself after.

That aside, kudos on born for making it right.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, at the very least I already have the game files preloaded on my Xbox, I'll keep those so when I get the disc I won't have to install it and download the 11GB patch.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The difference there is that the people who took advantage of that, you know you were revoking it from the same exact person who was attempting to use it. With these codes, there were a lot of people via ebay, or reddit, or here on gaf like myself who think the seller is on the level, and is not selling something shady.

Even if I do eventually get a refund, now I gotta sit here and worry if I will get my money back.
If it was 8 bucks or something it's really not something worth really worrying about. Like, get your money back but don't lose sleep over it

jrush64

Banned
Apparently the person i bought the key from also sold to some other people. Still haven't heard from him yet though.

theytookourjobz

I think this is more an issue with the sale of digital goods online. The way the promo should have been handled was with a physical card with a code written on it inside the box of the GPU. It's always a dice roll when you buy or sell a code digitally. Lesson learned hopefully.

If it was 8 bucks or something it's really not something worth really worrying about. Like, get your money back but don't lose sleep over it

It was $35, and the person I bought it from apparently bought it from someone else first...something I was not aware of. I'm not too happy with his response, because he makes it sound like I'll only see a refund if he gets one from his source first.

breadtruck

Not sure what I'm going to do now as paying £50 for a digital PC game is crazy. Shame a great game is priced so badly. I could get it at retail on X1 for nearly £15 cheaper.

Pure greed.

Pure greed on your part? Yeah, sounds like it.
Grow up. Get the discount on the retail games, otherwise, if you want the cross-play, you need to pay for the perk.

They definitely hit some valid keys along with the illegitimate ones, a buddy had to email Nvidia since his got revoked and he didn't do the cancellation trick. It's a bit of a pain but if you email Nvidia with Proof of Purchase they will get back to you.

Did the game get revoked from his Microsoft account or was he just unable to activate it without contacting Nvidia? Those are two different things. This thread is about activated games getting removed from accounts.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Grow up. Get the discount on the retail games, otherwise, if you want the cross-play, you need to pay for the perk.

It's not greed in the slightest, £50 is too fuckin much for a PC digital game. It's as simple as that and something MS needs to learn if they 'care' about PC games at all.

Okay so those who were mistakenly revoked can email Nvidia to get a new code or whatever if they bought from amazon legitimately.

What about those, like me, never got their code in the first place even though I bought during the promotional period?

Okay so those who were mistakenly revoked can email Nvidia to get a new code or whatever if they bought from amazon legitimately.

What about those, like me, never got their code in the first place even though I bought during the promotional period?
Contact NVidia with a proof of purchase.

Vamphuntr

Take advantage of a system, get burnt. Hopefully people learn not to blindly trust next time.

Yup. MS doesn't have to honor this. People were scamming codes from Amazon. It's not like it was a price mistake and people underpaid for the game. Here people were basically abusing a glitch where amazon sent you the code before shipping the card so people would cancel and keep the code. Some people probably made script and ordered and canceled hundreds only to resell them. I guess the lesson is not to buy blindly from randoms.

Ibuki

Banned
Did this cause the promo to get cancelled on Amazon or something?

If you buy a card now, will you no longer be eligible?

madjoki

Did this cause the promo to get cancelled on Amazon or something?

If you buy a card now, will you no longer be eligible?

Yeah it seems so, Amazon was removed from list and they no longer mention it on their site. Which means legit customers got screwed too.

I dont want cross play I just want it on PC at a reasonable price.

A digital download shouldn't cost more than a physical release.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

lol what

£50 for a digital PC game is the only greed here

Theorry

I dont want cross play I just want it on PC at a reasonable price.

A digital download shouldn't cost more than a physical release.

The problem is because retail still exist for consoles. So if they are gonna sell a digital code with play anywhere cheaper then retail version. They gonna piss off the retailers. Wich they still need to sell consoles. There is just a weird stand off for some years now.
But i agree that MS needs to come with a version wich doesnt have play anywhere. So they can sell it cheaper.

BorntoPlay

I already refund to everyone who PM me, if anyone got left please let me know... Thanks everyone for your nice words...

I assume the loss... If it is any consolation, my code also was revoked...=(

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Pretty much this. Not sure why'd he'd make the original statement so matter of factly only to contradict himself after.

That aside, kudos on born for making it right.
To shed more light on this, we determined with Amazon and NVIDIA the exact codes sent out to orders that were immediately cancelled. If customers believe they incorrectly had their codes deactivated or revoked, they may contact NVIDIA with proof of purchase to obtain a new code.

OraleeWey

To shed more light on this, we determined with Amazon and NVIDIA the exact codes sent out to orders that were immediately cancelled. If customers believe they incorrectly had their codes deactivated or revoked, they may contact NVIDIA with proof of purchase to obtain a new code.

Who do you work for?

Buburibon

Got a refund from BorntoPlay as promised. He seemed truly sorry for what happened in his apology. Not sure who's telling the truth to be honest. Anyway, I'll buy it directly from the Windows store come the 11th if reviews are generally positive. What sucks is having my legal name, which I submitted to Nvidia in order to redeem the code, associated with illegitimate practices. Like many others, I had no idea what I was buying into for $45 USD. Lesson learned, I suppose.

Ibuki

Banned

So the promo is completely removed from Amazon because of this? They no longer show up on the retailer list.

Tecnniqe

Banned
👍

Top Bottom