• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

Don Lapre

wait, how were these keys obtained illegitimately? id assume each key came with a legitimately purchased gpu then re-sold, right?

You could order and then cancel a video card from amazon. You still got the key for the game, and immediately.

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone who bought a bad key should be able to do a paypal dispute or ebay dispute. If you were an idiot and sent money as friends and family well, you are dumb and thats why paypal says do not use friends and family to buy shit.

Hey, don't be calling people idiots for this, the codes worked and most people had multiple GAF friends and people on reddit telling them as such- we've never had a revoke like this before.

Corpekata

Banned
wait, how were these keys obtained illegitimately? id assume each key came with a legitimately purchased gpu then re-sold, right?

The Amazon ones were sent out with orders before shipment so these guys ordered a bunch, got the codes, cancelled the GPU orders.

There are most certainly some legit keys like your scenario, but the ones that have been revoked are the Amazon loophole ones.

Don Lapre

Hey, don't be calling people idiots for this, the codes worked and most people had multiple GAF friends and people on reddit telling them as such- we've never had a revoke like this before.

Im not saying people are idiots for buying codes. Im saying they are idiots for sending money as friends and family for buying something.

Thank you...I didn't quite appreciate the "idiot" comment either. It seemed like for a long time, gaf was a trustworthy place to use f/f to help avoid fees for buyers and sellers...but lately it's gotten to be the wild west.

R3TRODYCE

They could have at least did this before they put up the preload. Some people have caps and downloaded a 73gb game that got revoked.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Terrible way of handling this situation. I suspect most code redeemers purchased it via someone who obtained the keys illegitimately. Now buyers are out of pocket. I bet sellers have no repercussions.

"What did you expect when paying $35? etc etc"

Whatever.

The difference there is that the people who took advantage of that, you know you were revoking it from the same exact person who was attempting to use it. With these codes, there were a lot of people via ebay, or reddit, or here on gaf like myself who think the seller is on the level, and is not selling something shady.

Even if I do eventually get a refund, now I gotta sit here and worry if I will get my money back.

exactly, im not someone who can afford to buy every game i want. so if im out $34 i basically wont be able to play gears 4.

Don Lapre

Terrible way of handling this situation. I suspect most code redeemers purchased it via someone who obtained the keys illegitimately. Now buyers are out of pocket. I bet sellers have no repercussions.

"What did you expect when paying $35? etc etc"

Whatever.

If you paid as goods and services or through ebay you can do a claim and get your money back.

Str1ke4

Well, i just talked to Microsoft support and the guy is "101%" sure that i still have the game pre-ordered even though it looks like my code was revoked.

GAMETA

Banned
Oh well, I bought a EVGA GTX 1070 that should be eligible but couldn't get the game because, apparently, Brazilian users/buyers either do not deserve or are not worthy of receiving a "free" game.

I don't get it, How did fake keys happen in the first place?

Also, I bought a 1070 card from Amazon and they key didn't work on nVidia's site. I was told to try later. So does this mean my key is revoked as well? I'm confused.

What is happening?
abtIZvF.gif

Hey, I bought on the 22nd and I didn't even get a key. Amazon has been removed from the Nvidia promo site. I want my free shit, thanks.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
They did what they had to do, but all this does is hurt the scammed buyers, not the thieves. Like I posted before, I bought my code for $45 the day the promotion started. I had zero reason to believe it wasn't a legit code the GPU buyer simply didn't want.

I got a refund, so my case is OK, but it isn't for others.

Sure, but this estabilishes a pattern.
Stolen, fraudolent or abused keys should always be revoked. Else, nothing is stopping black market - the black\grey market SHOULD carry risk.

Microsoft/Nvidia are completely within their right to revoke this.

They are but it's not generally done because you fuck over people who bought the keys from someone else. This is actually the first time I've personally seen a mass-revoke actually occur and I've been around Slickdeals a long time and seen a lot of these price errors over the years.

I guess I'm not surprised MS is such an evil company. I've never once seen a Steam key revoked when this sort of thing happens.

No one should ever buy anything on the Windows and Xbox Stores. MS can and will take away your purchases at any time.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
There is still a bright side guys, if you buy via disc the game and and day 1 update are already on your HDD ready to go!

Well, i just talked to Microsoft support and the guy is "101%" sure that i still have the game pre-ordered even though it looks like my code was revoked.

I talked to someone the other day and they were "101%" sure my Gears code hadn't been redeemed on my account. (I couldn't find it from the store page.) But later I realized I was just looking in the wrong area and it did in fact say it was redeemed on my account. The moral of the story is, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in MS support.

Soulflarz

Banned
They are but it's not generally done because you fuck over people who bought the keys from someone else. This is actually the first time I've personally seen a mass-revoke actually occur and I've been around Slickdeals a long time and seen a lot of these price errors over the years.

I guess I'm not surprised MS is such an evil company. I've never once seen a Steam key revoked when this sort of thing happens.

one dev did it with g2a or kinguin or w/e keys
got crazy backlash
undid it

only instance.

Gestault

No one should ever buy anything on the Windows and Xbox Stores. MS can and will take away your purchases at any time.

You ever see a post that's far enough out there you're not sure if it's sarcastic or not?

Mechazawa

Makes me really happy that the code I got from a Gaffer was a legit Amazon one that redeemed directly through the Win store rather than going through Nvidia hoops.

Not really, they gotta show that this shit isn't right in case it happens again.

Just like they revoked the free Fallout 4 earlier this year.

Free Fallout getting revoked was fine since it was, y'know, free. And then everyone got a 10 dollar credit, which was generous and Microsoft didn't need to do.

This is utter bullshit because Nvidia/Amazon are mad that those codes were sent before the GPUs get shipped(when these things are either packed in the box with the GPUs or emailed after they're shipped).

So someone trying to cut a deal, thinking they're getting a code off someone casting away their promo freebie, gets screwed. If you think this "shit ain't right", then don't send your god damn code before your product ships.

thuway

Some of you proactively knew you were buying an illegitimate product through illegitimate means and are harping off on how Microsoft is corrupt? Give it a rest on trying to dictate ethical responsibility and look in the mirror.

I am all for pro consumer but you are doing nothing but insulting the developers who bled their souls into this game.

New002

I think the person you quoted is referring to the act of sending money as friends and family as opposed to goods and services, not the act of buying the key its self. "Idiots" certainly wasn't necessary. In the end though I do agree that people shouldn't sent money as F&F when conducting business. You never know what might go wrong. Gotta protect yourself.

There was a price error earlier today at Target which let you buy FH3 digital code for $20 (its been fixed now), wonder if they''ll revoke those too. I can't fking trust them anymore.

Bread

Banned
Makes me really happy that the code I got from a Gaffer was a legit Amazon one that redeemed directly through the Win store rather than going through Nvidia hoops.

Free Fallout getting revoked was fine since it was, y'know, free. And then everyone got a 10 dollar credit, which was generous and Microsoft didn't need to do.

This is utter bullshit because Nvidia/Amazon are mad that those codes were sent before the GPUs get shipped(when these things are either packed in the box with the GPUs or emailed after they're shipped).

So someone trying to cut a deal, thinking they're getting a code off someone casting away their promo freebie, gets screwed. If you think this "shit ain't right", then don't send your god damn code before your product ships.
Yup. Amazon or MS should take responsibility here. A lot of innocent customers are the ones hurting.

Yeezus

They voided all those dumped DIRT 3 codes, but that was years back now and this isn't quite the same situation.

Mohasus

And would you look at that... the code is free too in this case.

FOR NORTH AMERICA TERRITORIES Free game code offer good beginning September 20, 2016 through October 30, 2016 or while supplies last. Offer good for one digital download code for Gears of War 4 only. Limit one download code per customer. Offer valid only through authorized ETAIL and Retail partners and redeemable at https://redeem.geforce.com. Offer may not be substituted, exchanged, sold or redeemed for cash or other goods or services.

Don Lapre

There was a price error earlier today at Target which let you buy FH3 digital code for $20 (its been fixed now), wonder if they''ll revoke those too. I can't fking trust them anymore.

This is different. The amazon thing was not a price error. It was a glitch in the system which allowed people to get hundreds of codes for free.

It was obvious something was glitched due to how many codes were out there and how cheap they were getting. There was plenty of talk in gaf about people wondering if they would be revoked and the hush hush glitch.

Yup. Amazon or MS should take responsibility here. A lot of innocent customers are the ones hurting.

Do an ebay/paypal dispute

NG28

What does the Microsoft store page say for those who got it removed?

At first mine said error, and when I tried to launch through the xbox app it said it was refunded and removed. However going back to the store page from xbox app I can now click update and download the game.

Justinh

I should know better than to think Microsoft gives a fuck about customers. I bought a scammed key without knowing what it was at the time.

I might just return this Bone S that I got from the Target deal. Fuck you, MS.

I don't understand, wouldn't that just happen with any scammed key? Isn't that how scams work, that they buyer doesn't really know what's going on?

This happened with Sniper Elite from what I remember. Another game too, but I can't recall which.

Velikost

I should know better than to think Microsoft gives a fuck about customers. I bought a scammed key without knowing what it was at the time.

I might just return this Bone S that I got from the Target deal. Fuck you, MS.

So you're gonna return the cheap Xbox you got through a retailer glitch cause you couldn't keep the game you got through a retailer glitch?

lol

sensui-tomo

They cant do that since that was a legitimate purchase at a wrong price because some idiot works at target this week and has made xbox one like deals crazy. But they can revoke the codes *UNLESS* They refund everyone who bought them. Even then it'd be some bad PR on target's and microsoft's end.

Alucrid

Banned

FOR NORTH AMERICA TERRITORIES Free game code offer good beginning September 20, 2016 through October 30, 2016 or while supplies last. Offer good for one digital download code for Gears of War 4 only. Limit one download code per customer. Offer valid only through authorized ETAIL and Retail partners and redeemable at https://redeem.geforce.com. Offer may not be substituted, exchanged, sold or redeemed for cash or other goods or services.

he means the reselling of the codes to other people. in the case of fallout the "seller" was ms and the buyer didn't pay anything. here the seller is whoever gamed amazon's system to get the codes and the buyers people in this thread. best thing to take away from this is to never pay friends and family. offer to include the fee in your payment for the buyer protection.

So I bought from the Reddit guy. But through his web store that was setup. So I was able to file a dispute. Going to be interesting to see if it works out. Either way $7 is just the price of the game in this situation. Not a big deal if I don't get it back.

Matt

People bought codes that were not marked for resale, from individuals that were not empowered to sell GoW codes. Microsoft has no moral reason to look out for the pocketbook of those consumers.

Now, that doesn't mean those purchasers did anything wrong if they thought the source of the codes was genuine. But this is the very definition of a buyer beware situation.

Lijik

If its still showing up in my Win10 store library do I still need to go file a refund?
I went and double checked expecting it to be gone but its still there.

What does the Microsoft store page say for those who got it removed?

At first mine said error, and when I tried to launch through the xbox app it said it was refunded and removed. However going back to the store page from xbox app I can now click update and download the game.

I got this error code when attempting to download it: 0x803F8007

Error 0x803f8007 occurs when you try to start an Xbox One game or game add-on
You see the following error code and message when you try to launch an Xbox One game or game add-on:
Something went wrong
0x803f8007
This may mean you no longer own the content or no longer have permission to access the content. For example, you can’t access a game because you received a refund for it, or your game pre-order was canceled.

I did cancel my pre-order prior to redeeming the Nvidia code, but from talking to support, the code got revoked.

Don Lapre

If its still showing up in my Win10 store library do I still need to go file a refund?
I went and double checked expecting it to be gone but its still there.

Search for gears in windows 10 store, it should say "play" click play and it will say its been removed.

OVDRobo

I feel sorry for the people affected by this who bought their keys from places like eBay or GAF and have had them revoked without knowing they were buying shady keys. Maybe less so for the eBay buyers just because you're always taking a risk when you buy from online auction sites.

Everyone else who buys from unscrupulous 3rd party sites like G2A has to expect something like this happening occasionally, though. Especially for high-profile games like Gears 4. To be honest, I'd like to see it happen more often.

This is different. The amazon thing was not a price error. It was a glitch in the system which allowed people to get hundreds of codes for free.

It was obvious something was glitched due to how many codes were out there and how cheap they were getting. There was plenty of talk in gaf about people wondering if they would be revoked and the hush hush glitch.

Do an ebay/paypal dispute

Its different only in technicality. Target error was also a glitch in their system that allowed people to buy it for 1/3rd the price, only difference is they're competent enough to fix it in couple of hours.

PSA - If you see someone selling FH3 code for $25 on ebay or reddit or whatever, don't touch it, it might get revoked.

Mechazawa

Except the code isn't free to the person paying for it at the end of the chain. No one was flipping, and then paying for, digital copies of Fallout 4 from Microsoft's pricing mistake.

Your analogy sucks.

People bought codes that were not marked for resale, from individuals that were not empowered to sell GoW codes. Microsoft has no moral reason to look out for the pocketbook of those consumers.

Now, that doesn't mean those purchasers did anything wrong if they thought the source of the codes was genuine. But this is the very definition of a buyer beware situation.

It's weird that people don't understand this and it has to be explained to them.

So these codes were bought from the windows store?

Don Lapre

I get "Only available as part of a bundle" and the two pre-order pages (for the game and the UE) just prompt me to preorder

If you never clicked install from your library then it never preloaded so yea, its prob been revoked from you.

Top Bottom