• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

What was the exploit that people were abusing now? Seems any decent third-party seller would just send proof of purchase and send the new key to the buyer. Or send proof of purchase to the buyer and let them deal with it.

Chin35char

The good news is the game is already downloaded on my computer and Xbone, so after I rebuy it, I'll be all set.

Calculated risk. I used paypal. Seller already refunded.

I paid using Goods & Services. How do I request a refund? PayPal just wants me to message the guy.

Don Lapre

What was the exploit that people were abusing now? Seems any decent third-party seller would just send proof of purchase and send the new key to the buyer. Or send proof of purchase to the buyer and let them deal with it.

Amazon was sending the code before the video card. You could order a card, immediately cancel it and get a code. People did it hundreds of times and then sold the keys.

We did not know they were from an amazon error else no one would have sold them we would have just gotten our own and linked it in BST X_X
Don't call a thread idiots, seriously. That's moreso the annoying part.

Common sense man, whoever got 7$ keys knew something was up and it didn't pan out.

burgerdog

I see the game when I open the window store still, does that mean i'm good? I got it for $35 a day after the promo went up on ebay so I had no idea keys were going for $7. That explains why the thread has so many replies now, too.

Soulflarz

Banned
Common sense man, whoever got 7$ keys knew something was up and it didn't pan out.

Again, we've gotten legit keys for barely more.

I see the game when I open the window store still, does that mean i'm good? I got it for $40 a day after the promo went up on ebay so I had no idea keys were going for $7. That explains why the thread has so many replies now, too.

Try launching it. It'll tell you to repurchase it as you were refunded otherwise.

Amazon was sending the code before the video card. You could order a card, immediately cancel it and get a code. People did it hundreds of times and then sold the keys.
That's unfortunate.

I thought in the past Nvidia sent the codes out through their own website, requiring users to enter in the serial number or whatever from their card? Seems like a mistake on Nvidia's part to just send codes out to the retailers instead.

Amazon's always had that exploit. Simultaneously, it's a good thing for the consumer because they don't get charged until the shipment is sent.

Don Lapre

That's unfortunate.

I thought in the past Nvidia sent the codes out through their own website, requiring users to enter in the serial number or whatever from their card? Seems like a mistake on Nvidia's part to just send codes out to the retailers instead.

Amazon's always had that exploit. Simultaneously, it's a good thing for the consumer because they don't get charged until the shipment is sent.

Amazon has always sent the code out after they shipped the card.

This was an immediate code with your order.

Nvidia codes never required a serial number. You just put in the code the retailer gave you and nvidia gave you a game code or linked the game to your "insert store here" account

madjoki

To be honest this was to be expected.

Guess I'll wait for Steam version or something. I doubt winstore will be at sane price ever, due to forced bundling of xbox version.

x3sphere

I see the game when I open the window store still, does that mean i'm good? I got it for $35 a day after the promo went up on ebay so I had no idea keys were going for $7. That explains why the thread has so many replies now, too.

not necessarily, click Play and it'll give a message indicating if your key's been revoked. It'll say it's been removed from your device.

I bought a key off eBay for $35 too and mine's been revoked, so the seller likely got it from the Amazon loophole

Guess I'll wait for Steam version or something. I doubt winstore will be at sane price ever, due to forced bundling of xbox version.

Yeaaah, I was just beginning to think earlier...if Microsoft was smart, and really wanted to give PC gaming a go, what they would do is still have a steam version of their games, but use the Play Anywhere thing as an incentive to buy on the Windows Store.

Buburibon

Honestly, at this point I'd rather get my money back and buy it from Amazon. He was selling it for $45 the moment I bought it and I really doubt it's not an Amazon key.

I can pay the $15 difference from the Microsoft Store.

I hear you. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. There is the possibility that all Nvidia codes were revoked, and those who obtained theirs legitimately will have to provide proof of purchase, etc., in order to have GoW4 re-activated on their accounts. Let's see what BorntoPlay will have for us tomorrow.

EDIT: Just saw that you got your refund. :)

I bought one from someone on GAF for $40, redeemed on nvidia, installed and preloaded. When I try to launch gears it just says I'm too early. Does that mean mine wasn't revoked?

Iorv3th

Pls, I would have refunded you, I PM'd my guy a refund offer before they even got revoked :p

and yeah, just sucks because at $30 we're basically paying an extra 10-20 if we ate any fees, at which point we question why we did this at all.

You should have been questioning that from the beginning.

Microsoft really shouldn't have done this, it just comes off as petty. I'm less inclined to buy it since they think they can just revoke purchases like that. I had no idea my code was bad, and now I gotta do extra leg work because they made a mistake.

It doesn't come off as petty. It was illegitimately obtained items. It even said 'with purchase of qualifying video card'. If they canceled the purchase of said video card, the purchaser is the one that essentially voided the codes.

Maybe not directly, but I mean, it was one of their retail partner's that made the mistake. Make them pay for it, I don't know...Just seems like a game they expect to sell millions wouldn't been hurt by letting the few thousand people who got it just keep it. They had to have known there would be innocent victims like us.

Microsoft should 'punish' them for making a mistake (in the real of hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

The difference there is that the people who took advantage of that, you know you were revoking it from the same exact person who was attempting to use it. With these codes, there were a lot of people via ebay, or reddit, or here on gaf like myself who think the seller is on the level, and is not selling something shady.

Even if I do eventually get a refund, now I gotta sit here and worry if I will get my money back.

If you would have bought it from a legitimate business you would have gotten your money back. Most people knew this amazon glitch was used and that there where a lot of keys out there.

It really doesn't matter what you think of the seller or their intentions. Most scammers are going to try and look legitimate. Look at the ones sending out messages to purchasers on ebay to cancel the claim and refile it....

Daaaaaayumn! That is theft right there.

I think that my Amazon purchase is ok, then since I only got the code a few days after purchase and the card shipped. nVidia help asked me to send them a pic of the card's serial number which I'll do when the card arrives in 3 days. I think I'm in the okay.

I thought this was a general Amazon error not illegal and scamming use of canceling and then repurchasing to get free keys.

Hmm, both it and forza horizons 3 have vanished. I bought fh3 legit from newegg when it was 10 bucks off, though. Have to check my xbox in the morning...

You should have been questioning that from the beginning.

It doesn't come off as petty. It was illegitimately obtained items. It even said 'with purchase of qualifying video card'. If they canceled the purchase of said video card, the purchaser is the one that essentially voided the codes.

Microsoft should 'punish' them for making a mistake (in the real of hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

If you would have bought it from a legitimate business you would have gotten your money back. Most people knew this amazon glitch was used and that there where a lot of keys out there.

It really doesn't matter what you think of the seller or their intentions. Most scammers are going to try and look legitimate. Look at the ones sending out messages to purchasers on ebay to cancel the claim and refile it....

Thank you Microsoft PR person.

shanafan

Forced bundling? It's $60 for the digital, which includes both Xbox One and Windows 10 versions. If it was more than $60, sure it would be forced bundling.

krang

I bought mine before knowing where they came from, so this at least stops me from feeling retrospectively scummy. Wasn't exactly much money, either, so not upset about that.

Amazon has always sent the code out after they shipped the card.

This was an immediate code with your order.

Nvidia codes never required a serial number. You just put in the code the retailer gave you and nvidia gave you a game code or linked the game to your "insert store here" account
Oh, nvm then. Guess my previous cards have been through Newegg.

xAlias

Game got revoked. Oh well.

Any idea how you remove the game if you have already downloaded it and now only shows play?

Buying something that is priced incorrectly is not the same as exploiting a broken system and getting codes for free.

With Fallout 4, if MS set prices incorrectly and people bought the game, then imo its shitty for MS to revoke those licenses. They should own up to their mistake.

I just find it interesting that there seems to be no nuance to anything. It's either all or nothing. Every situation is different and we should be smart enough to understand that

But what if they revoked those too? And give you back $20 Target gift card. You'd still get blamed for it considering how the victim blaming is going on in this thread.

tumblr_lrzuvfWQYq1qko4x4o1_400.gif

FUCKING LOL
Microsoft not allowing more players on their POS store.
Those $7 keys would have probably made up 99% of the PC player base!

It sucks but they probably did you all a favor in the long run!

they can also be used for console tho
!

Xbone users are the ones I actually feel sorry for.
Microsoft are being assholes about this.
Especially those who are on a data cap and already preloaded.
60 or so gigs, right? :(
Shitty situation for sure though and no mistake! I hope Xbone users can at least get something out of this even if it is only a $10 voucher or something, but hey.... this is MS we are talking about!
Wonder if Major Nelson has anything to say about this shambles.

jadedm17

Average consumer? The only ones hit are the eager gaming community and $7 is cheap to learn "if its too good to be true it probably is".

Anyone who paid $30+ and got revoked im sorry.
I bought it off someone here on gaf for $35 before I knew people were getting this in any "mistake" capacity, and yeah...its been revoked...what a bunch of shit. I hope he gets me a refund.

This is also a good time to say that friends/family payment is great to save a bit with someome you trust but the insurance is worth it most the time to be protected.

Will be easy to charge back.

Anyone who paid by credit card or Paypal (not F/F) - and i assume most by debit card - can easily get refunds; This wont effect the "average consumer" as the OP states, just those who got too greedy (or try to skate by Paypals protection fees) and they should take the monetary hit as a lessom learned.

etta

my hard graphic balls
60 or so gigs, right.
Shitty situation for sure though! I hope bone users can get something out of this even if it is only a $10 voucher or something, but hey.... this is MS we are talking about!
Wonder if Major Nelson has anything to say about this shambles1
Seems like you think only Microsoft revokes licenses.

tuna_love

Banned
Shitty situation for sure though and no mistake! I hope Xbone users can at least get something out of this even if it is only a $10 voucher or something, but hey.... this is MS we are talking about!
none of this is ms fault, its all on amazon, maybe people should ask amazon for free games

shanafan

It has happened in the past, Xbox users got a $10 voucher when the Fallout 4 license was revoked when the game was $0.00.

Sony, on the other hand, did nothing when FIFA 17 was $0.00 a couple weeks ago and they revoked those licenses who grabbed it.

spannicus

Why is it microsofts fault if they try to recover stolen goods lol. Its the sellers fault who knowingly tried to scam people by scamming amazon. But blame microsoft.

Has anyone preloaded the game, had their key revoked, then purchased it from the Windows store? I want to know if the preload will just transfer to the new purchase, I don't want to redownload 80 gigs.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Has anyone preloaded the game, had their key revoked, then purchased it from the Windows store? I want to know if the preload will just transfer to the new purchase, I don't want to redownload 80 gigs.
It should work, Microsoft keeps licenses and game files separate.

Head.spawn

How so?

They revoked stolen keys.

If an employee steals goods and resells them, then the cops track it to you and reclaim the goods... you take issue with the store that got robbed? Not the person that sold it to you under false pretenses?

That makes no sense. You aren't entitled to free shit after buying stolen goods and getting burned. Get your refund and be done with it. It honestly sounds like you're mad about something else.

Seems like you think only Microsoft revokes licenses.

Why is it microsofts fault if they try to recover stolen goods lol. Its the sellers fault who knowingly tried to scam people by scamming amazon. But blame microsoft.
But they have given out a gift voucher before when a similar problem happened:

It has happened in the past, Xbox users got a $10 voucher when the Fallout 4 license was revoked when the game was $0.00.

Sony, on the other hand, did nothing when FIFA 17 was $0.00 a couple weeks ago and they revoked those licenses who grabbed it.

Thank you! This is what I was referring to!

Punishing the consumer for someone else's mistake is never a good idea.
As I said, MS should do at least something out of goodwill!

How so?

They revoked stolen keys.

If an employee steals goods and resells them, then the cops track it to you and reclaim the goods... you take issue with the store that got robbed?

That makes no sense. You aren't entitled to free shit after buying stolen goods and getting burned. Get your refund and be done with it. It honestly sounds like you're mad about something else.

Mad you say....? Hardly, I just don't like MS trying to muscle into the PC gaming space and turning it against everything PC gaming stands for!
Xbone users however I have sympathy for.
I'm sure a lot of people bought these keys not knowing they were stolen and maybe unwanted keys for the GTX1080 deal.
They have already preloaded the game and now they are just doing this to users:
giphy.gif

At least they could show a little courtesy! That not asking too much from one of the richest companies on the planet now is it?

etta

my hard graphic balls

They gave out vouchers because that was their mistake, on their store. This is Amazon's...

jadedm17

They made the error before, this time it was Amazon; Microsoft shouldnt have to do anything for someome elses mistake, thats ridiculous.

Top Bottom