• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC Performance Thread

I believe that message will always pop up when you can't connect, but it doesn't mean anything. Maybe you actually need an online connection to play even local coop? I don't know.

I do have an internet connection.

I spoke to MS support and they recommended I reinstall... I'm currently downloading it again but I told them to forward the error to the relevant departments.

Interestingly enough I can't get online on Killer Instinct either. I don't have a clue what the issue is. I am not the only one with the issue though.

Zedox

I do have an internet connection.

I spoke to MS support and they recommended I reinstall... I'm currently downloading it again but I told them to forward the error to the relevant departments.

Interestingly enough I can't get online on Killer Instinct either. I don't have a clue what the issue is. I am not the only one with the issue though.

I would also check for updates to the Xbox App. You may not be able to connect to their servers for whatever reason but you should be able to play offline/LAN either way.

I would also check for updates to the Xbox App. You may not be able to connect to their servers for whatever reason but you should be able to play offline/LAN either way.

It said play in offline mode but then it still gave the same error so I don't know. Will update after I've reinstalled it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Downloaded the game a second time. Repeatedly got an error every time it tried to download a 43.47 MB update. Had previously rolled back to a previous version of Windows, and as per the error code updated to the latest version again. Now the Windows Store is showing the game as not being downloaded, despite it still taking up 80 gigs on my hard drive. I have no way to uninstall or delete these files.

I had heard tons of complaints about the Windows 10 Store, but this is fucking incredible.

Qwyjibo

This is my first Gears game since I'm mostly a PC gamer but the PC performance of this game has been absolutely fantastic for me.

I've been playing co-op campaign with a friend who plays on Xbone and it has run better and at lower GPU temps than games like Dragon Age Inquisition or Fallout 4. I'm getting a mostly solid 60fps at 1440p at a mix of ultra and high settings (shadows at medium) with post-processing things like motion blur turned off or set to low. I have a i5 6600K (not overclocked yet), MSI R9 390, and 16 gb ram.

The massive download was a pain the ass given bandwidth caps but I just left it on overnight when it doesn't count against my cap. I had FAR less trouble with the Windows Store this time than I did when I bought Killer Instinct months ago (it was a total mess).

XBP

I can't get the game to launch at all. Just closes after the splash screen. I've tried all suggested fixes, no dice. I don't even have any sort of error message to help point me in the right direction.

Are you by any chance running a 144hz display? I had a similar problem with a different UWP game and had to change my display refresh rate to 120HZ for the game to boot and get into the menu.

ss_lemonade

So after figuring out that I had to wait nearly an hour to download and apply a 300mb update, I finally got around to playing a bit of the campaign. It runs pretty amazing so far on my 780. One thing I noticed is I don't think some of the Ultra texture settings work for me as I end up with blurry textures randomly swapping in and out. Must be a vram issue.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SD9foiy.jpg

Is this good!?

Defect

Are you by any chance running a 144hz display? I had a similar problem with a different UWP game and had to change my display refresh rate to 120HZ for the game to boot and get into the menu.
I'm on a 144hz display and everything is flawless.

Carlius

Banned
Crossposting from the OT:

So I am trying to play local coop on PC but it says it failed to create the game? I haven't been able to connect to the servers at all.

I also saw there is a message saying I need a Xbox Live Gold account, surely this isn't needed to play online?

i had the same issue...make sure under your settings in xbox app in the netowrk tab under settings both of you have the TEREDO address obtained. also, gears has a region slector, make sure you are both on the same region. restart pc and try it again.

make sure firewall is one. i went trhough the motion of deactivating the teredo address feature and reactivating it, restarting and it worked and has worked ever since.

i had the same issue...make sure under your settings in xbox app in the netowrk tab under settings both of you have the TEREDO address obtained. also, gears has a region slector, make sure you are both on the same region. restart pc and try it again.

make sure firewall is one. i went trhough the motion of deactivating the teredo address feature and reactivating it, restarting and it worked and has worked ever since.

I looked and saw I couldn't get a Teredo address so I went through the troubleshooting page there and after a restart saw that I now have obtained the address.

Of course though the game still doesn't work, same error. Killer Instinct also won't let me play online either.

I pretty much give up at this point.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
2 hours of trying to install this damn game. 2 hours. That stupid fucking error it's not allowing me to download it At all. I have 163GB of space but it's not even starting the download. I've tried everything to get it to install, PowerShell shit, clearing cache shit. I'm at my wit's end!! Wtf MS!

Going from desktop (i7 4770k and GTX 1080) to a damn laptop that is running a 970M is painful. Not only that, but I was playing split-screen coop on insane, and we could barely see shit (peaking is like 30% chance you will die because of 20-40fps input lag). When I played solo, I couldn't keep a stable 60fps on medium and recommended, but that could be because of the background processes/chrome or just my shitty laptop CPU.

Either way, the game runs amazingly well on my desktop PC. I just regret getting a damn gaming laptop (should have been new desktop build with spare parts+cheap laptop). I was hoping that I could play the game when I travel, but nope.

2 hours of trying to install this damn game. 2 hours. That stupid fucking error it's not allowing me to download it At all. I have 163GB of space but it's not even starting the download. I've tried everything to get it to install, PowerShell shit, clearing cache shit. I'm at my wit's end!! Wtf MS!

2 hours? I spent two days. On which drive are you trying to install the game? I had similar issues and the only thing worked for the 0x80073CF9 error is installing the game on the C:drive where the OS is installed.

I can't get this game above 30fps regardless of what resolution settings a try. Any ideas?

•16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
•3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 Hard Drive
•Windows 10 Home 64-bit
•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti

Evo X

I can't get this game above 30fps regardless of what resolution settings a try. Any ideas?

•Windows 10 Home 64-bit
•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti

You must have enabled the 30fps cap in the settings because that PC should be destroying this game.

scitek

I'm downloading this on my lil' ol' Y50 laptop. I'm actually excited to see how it benchmarks. Likely at 900p, but I've been consistently pleased with how well it's run just about everything I've thrown at it.

Yep. Either that or double buffering at driver level.

That would be more surprising. It'd mean he isn't capable of keeping 60+ fps.

XBP

I'm on a 144hz display and everything is flawless.

Idk, i had that problem with forza apex where the game crashed 5 seconds after booting up in the loading screen. The only thing that ended up working was me changing my refresh rate, unlocking the frame rate in game and then restarting the game.

What error are you getting?

ss_lemonade

Going from desktop (i7 4770k and GTX 1080) to a damn laptop that is running a 970M is painful. Not only that, but I was playing split-screen coop on insane, and we could barely see shit (peaking is like 30% chance you will die because of 20-40fps input lag). When I played solo, I couldn't keep a stable 60fps on medium and recommended, but that could be because of the background processes/chrome or just my shitty laptop CPU.

Either way, the game runs amazingly well on my desktop PC. I just regret getting a damn gaming laptop (should have been new desktop build with spare parts+cheap laptop). I was hoping that I could play the game when I travel, but nope.
The game runs pretty well on my 970m laptop with a mix of settings, averaging between 40-60 most of the time (a lot at ultra, the heavy stuff like reflection quality at medium, the rest at high). I guess I'm just not that bothered by the drops to 40s

The game runs pretty well on my 970m laptop with a mix of settings, averaging between 40-60 most of the time (a lot at ultra, the heavy stuff like reflection quality at medium, the rest at high). I guess I'm just not that bothered by the drops to 40s

Yep. That is what I get. Except that the game freezes today for some odd reason; it needs a hard restart. Everything else runs fine.

Edit: Xbox live is related to the issue. There is also some serious screen tearing happening today. I don't get it; I destroyed the laptop yesterday when playing coop in 1080p, and then it was fine when I played solo and experimented with graphics settings. I can play anything not named GoW4 without freezing; even The Forest (CPU intensive) runs fine without any issues or overheating or freezing.

Invis

Anyone running this with a 2500K? I have a 2500K at 4.6GHz and a GTX 1080 coupled with a 1440p monitor and wondering if I'm going to run into any bottlenecks before I get this.

ss_lemonade

Yep. That is what I get. Except that the game freezes today for some odd reason; it needs a hard restart. Everything else runs fine.

Edit: Xbox live is related to the issue. There is also some serious screen tearing happening today. I don't get it; I destroyed the laptop yesterday when playing coop in 1080p, and then it was fine when I played solo and experimented with graphics settings. I can play anything not named GoW4 without freezing; even The Forest (CPU intensive) runs fine without any issues or overheating or freezing.

No freezes here so far in the campaign mode. There is insane artifacting though during cutscenes, but that almost looks like my favorite "non-exclusive fullscreen tearing and artifacts" bug related to Optimus that has never been fixed for years now.

UberLevi

Is there a fix for graphics degradation on 2gb vram cards yet? I had to quit a Horde game after wave 20 because my textures muddied and my shadows started flickering rapidly.

ss_lemonade

Is there a fix for graphics degradation on 2gb vram cards yet? I had to quit a Horde game after wave 20 because my textures muddied and my shadows started flickering rapidly.

It's a problem even with 3gb cards (780 and 970m user here). I think I have to lower texture settings to something below what's used on the xbox one to prevent n64 textures from appearing :(

"I can't get this game above 30fps regardless of what resolution settings a try. Any ideas?

•Windows 10 Home 64-bit
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti"

Turns out V-sync is caping me at 30fps. I turned it off in the gamesettings and turned it on In the external video card settings but it did not seem to work. Doing that does not turn V-sync in in game for some reason.

ss_lemonade

It's a problem even with 3gb cards (780 and 970m user here). I think I have to lower texture settings to something below what's used on the xbox one to prevent n64 textures from appearing :(

So, is there a way around randomly getting soupy textures? Is it really because I only have a 3gb 780? The game runs really good but the textures make it look worse than playing it on my Xbox One. Probably the very first game my 780 has issues with

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I have a 1060 6GB.

How come in the performance overlay while playing it'll tell me I'm using x-amount of RAM out of a total of only 5.06?

I can't get the game to launch at all. Just closes after the splash screen. I've tried all suggested fixes, no dice. I don't even have any sort of error message to help point me in the right direction.

I had the same problem, figured out it was because I was on the Windows Insider program. I had to reinstall windows to exit it. Now Gears works. It was worth the effort too. Good luck!

xVodevil

Is anyone else at all having the same cutscene issue I am? I'm at my wits end. The cutscene will stutter and then audio gets out of sync on my gaming laptop.

I've had this, on my gaming desktop PC for the first time at the final cutscene at the end of chapter 1. Not cool, hope it won't happen again.

Top Bottom