• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition appears; Early Access four days before launch

You know what... for $40 extra, getting permanent ownership of the DLC maps for Customs, some bonus digital stuff and four days of early access to the newest game in one of my favorite series isn't too bad. I'll snag this edition.

If any other series did this, I'd be whining. I'm definitely part of the problem.

krang

I'm actually quite happy with this arrangement. I don't think it's likely I will ever host custom games, so having a cheaper option that still lets me play all maps in rotation is great.

Linkin112

Okay, then I wonder WHO the character pack consists of.

Probably a safe bet, just curious to know which characters and how many.

The Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack includes seven unique multiplayer character skins which you can use in competitive multiplayer matches in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Characters include: Adam Fenix, Golden Hunter, Golden Miner, Savage Drone, Savage Grenadier, Savage Kantus, and Savage Theron Guard

I'm actually quite happy with this arrangement. I don't think it's likely I will ever host custom games, so having a cheaper option that still lets me play all maps in rotation is great.
I feel the same. As long as I can play though the maps through matchmaking, I'm good.

Having some fun with you hehehe.

Yes, I know lol.

The Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack includes seven unique multiplayer character skins which you can use in competitive multiplayer matches in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Characters include: Adam Fenix, Golden Hunter, Golden Miner, Savage Drone, Savage Grenadier, Savage Kantus, and Savage Theron Guard

Oh, looks like it's just the pre-order characters from Gears UE being ported over I guess.

Meh.

And let them pay even more then normally!

If you are a real fan, just spend some more cash. You know you want to play it earlier then those other guys right?

Who cares if a bunch of impatient people with more money than sense want early access. That's their problem.

And let them pay even more then normally!

If you are a real fan, just spend some more cash. You know you want to play it earlier then those other guys right?

Well in my case I'm a content creator on Youtube and I need to have the games early to record everything and do my work on time for the release date and embargo times

MMaRsu

Banned
Who cares if a bunch of impatient people with more money than sense want early access. That's their problem.

That means its ready to be sold and played by gamers. Just move the release date up. Dont hold back fans because they dont feel comfortable paying more.

That means its ready to be sold and played by gamers. Just move the release date up. Dont hold back fans because they dont feel comfortable paying more.
Or you can just be patient and wait four days. If some people want to pay more for just a few days of early access, why not? If it was 4 weeks I would agree but 4 days is nothing.

Really hate this practice of early access. It's not even a matter of patience - sucks for big fans who aren't comfortable with paying more/buying digitally. Hardly surprising they're going this route though after Forza 6 did similar, and had such high-adoption for its limited edition.

If it's ready to be sold and played, they should at least provide early access to any version purchased digitally. At least then the game could be played early by those unprepared to provide further cash, and MS would still make more of each purchase, as it would be through their storefront.

24 maps is damn sweet though.

Oh look a Season Pass...

And a Gamemode behind a Season Pass... way to go... not

And i am the only one that starts to feel like that there is NO horde mode in this?

Rod when asked at Pax always say "cant talk about it" or "if its not there at launch, that doesnt mean it wont exist"

Don't have an issue with this although I won't be going for the all singing all dancing option.

Standard game will do me fine as long as the community stays together and doesn't get segregated.

Kordelle

I'm pretty sure they'll announce Horde at E3, they know how many people want that and will use the big show for its reveal.

GHG

They did this for Forza 6 as well.

Wasn't worth the money. It's an obscene price to pay for a game.

nOoblet16

I wonder how many guys will make a post without realising the maps are free to play in Gears 4.

So this gives you ownership of the maps and allows you to host private/custom on dedicated servers ? What if you just want to use P2P ? Do you get that option? and if you do then do you still have to buy maps? (I'm, going to assume no on both counts)

Arnie

This map situation is so confusing.

Can someone just breakdown what you get with standard and what you get with UE, I've not been following it at all and everyone is talking about owning maps "permanently" or being able to use them in customs.

Is DLC free etc?

"One year of unlimited access to new maps", so wait, would you need to BUY the maps after a year to play them in customs?

Yes, they announced they will do rotating maps. New maps are free for everyone, but will phase out after a month. If you want to play them in custom or private you will need to buy them.

nOoblet16

2 maps per month seems overly ambitious. Most of them will likely be remakes as a result.

Well there will be remakes for sure but a fair amount of new maps too, past Gears games have had huge map packs and they'd release every 3-4 months or so. Within a year Gears 3 had to 18 new maps plus single player DLCs while Gears 2 had 19 new maps and a short SP DLC, so it's possible to release about the same amount in the same time frame. All that's happening here is that instead of getting 5 new maps every 3 months you get 2 new every month.

El-Suave

If the game makes it to Germany many people will get "early access" for free because some online retailers send the game out early and our post office can be fast. They better enforce that street date if they ask money for that kind of a dumb advantage.

If the game makes it to Germany many people will get "early access" for free because some online retailers send the game out early and our post office can be fast. They better enforce that street date if they ask money for that kind of a dumb advantage.

They didnt change the retail release for Forza 6 just because of the early access stuff there ;) And most Germans would get the game on the 8th. Getting a game early isnt really a big deal anymore.

Its a Digital Feature, deal with that.

Lucifon

I would be happy to pay the extra and grab this digitally (from a different region of course because Xbox UK digital pricing is ridiculous...). But the season pass thing allowing maps to be played on custom games seems literally useless to me. I never ever play private matches these days on games. Back when I was 15 playing cod4 maybe but not anymore.

Kordelle

I would be happy to pay the extra and grab this digitally (from a different region of course because Xbox UK digital pricing is ridiculous...). But the season pass thing allowing maps to be played on custom games seems literally useless to me. I never ever play private matches these days on games. Back when I was 15 playing cod4 maybe but not anymore.
I will buy the maps anyway for Horde :)

I just want to see what LEs they will offer...

xRaizen

It's fine though because it's gears ;)

I hope MS gets shitted on for this crap, it's a disgusting practice.

But it looks like people are already gonna eat it up :/ as usual with questionable practices in this industry.

KiLLaDeZo

I don't really get it. IF I buy the season pass for the maps, I can only play the "Maps" in private or custom? Meaning I can't search (Match making) for other players with the same maps?

Top Bottom