• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War: Judgment (People Can Fly + Epic) Revealed

-PXG-

They better have classic controls.

I'm guessing they're changing them to make it faster? If so, it might be interesting...

smik

Ok now im officially kinda peeved off about the currents details and multiplayer

They decided to Remove the D-pad layout because apparently its "clumsy" now in place for the old school controls are more COD like style where you have to press Y to change weapons, hold down Y for your pistol and LB to throw your grenades. Some suggesting of low health when out of cover for a split second resulting in death, the new inclusion of a class based system (overun only?) man considered me f$% worried.

smfh

also theres a quote from Rod Ferguson about how they have to betray there loyal customers/fanbase to go another direction, do they even remember what happened with GOW2? it nearly killed there damn franchise & solid community, all there hard work with GOW3 to bring it back (gameplay standpoint) to where it should be and now it really sounds like they want Gears to be something completely different.

this is a new trilogy, and having to go through three titles with no original GOW formula is...just..

ithasbegun.jpeg

Still dunno what to think about this. If this is the future of the Gears franchise it feels too soon, if it is a spin-off it feels too similar. I would have preferred a FPS spin-off about E-Day featuring all new characters. I guess Ill have to wait and see..

I share the opinion that it feels a bit too soon. However, I enjoyed Bulletstorm a lot more than I thought I would, and would even say I probably had a better time with it than both Gears 2 and 3, with the one complaint being it went on a bit too long. So I'm somewhat interested in it, but will wait til I see it in action before judging too harshly.

ArjanN

Yeah...the controls in Gears currently couldn't be more perfect. I'm not sure how much I'm digging this news. Meh.

But...didn't Gears pretty much control like an FPS already?

Still dunno what to think about this. If this is the future of the Gears franchise it feels too soon, if it is a spin-off it feels too similar. I would have preferred a FPS spin-off about E-Day featuring all new characters. I guess Ill have to wait and see..

Yeah, it kind of seems more of the same to me, would be nice to see People Can Fly put their own spin on it. We'll see.

Robot Pants

Strongly disagree, most of the missions were unique and rarely, if ever, felt like "fetch quests".

Of all the criticisms you could level at Gears 3, it's ludicrous to focus on and claim the campaign was boring or full of fetch quests. It's factually not true.

oh. ok.

OrangeOak

This game sounds really bad now and I was so hyped.

So much fun with Gears 3 campaign, having just started today, dunno what you guys problem is - diverse and interesting encounters.
Also changing the combat/shooting up a bit is not a bad thing to me.

Yes I like it too.Really fun game,I find It less atmospheric than Gears 1 but equally fun.They really improved the controls and cover system across those three games.
So much content as well,arcade,beast,multiplayer,horde mode and all of it with this fun gameplay.It's my favorite TPS.(not in multiplayer though,Gears 1 is still more fun for me)
Music sucks though,Kevil Riepl was so much better.

.la1n

Trust People Can Fly as well as Epic as neither developer has given me a reason not to. If they made changes, I imagine it's for the best. Will wait for hands on time.

But...didn't Gears pretty much control like an FPS already

Not like any FPS I know of. I mean right trigger shoots and the sticks move the character; some FPS use B to melee too but otherwise they were pretty different. The controls felt perfect for how you moved and navigated maps.

If it's not going to be the same cover-based style of gameplay though then I guess it doesn't matter if the controls change.

Karram

FETCH ME SOMETHING, MOTHERFUCKER!
Will it even matter if the objectives were go kill or destroy something instead of finding it ? You're still getting from point A to point B doing the same exact boring things in between. Objectives are just excuses for what you're doing.

From Bulletstorm to this. Like going from being a chef at a 5 star restaurant to working at a McDonalds.

I'm going to try to be optimistic that they'll somehow make this awesome but I have a lt of doubts.

Robot Pants

From Bulletstorm to this. Like going from being a chef at a 5 star restaurant to working at a McDonalds.

I'm going to try to be optimistic that they'll somehow make this awesome but I have a lt of doubts.

ok, I get it if you don't like Gears, totally understandable. But Bulletstorm is really a 5-star restaurant? THAT much better than Gears?

shinnn

15zfavi17nr.gif

ok, I get it if you don't like Gears, totally understandable. But Bulletstorm is really a 5-star restaurant? THAT much better than Gears?
Well I was beings bit hyperbolic I'll admit, haha. But I think the entire Gears universe/story/characters/dialogue/visual design is awful. And the gameplay isn't much better. Whereas I loved Bulletstorm, it was funny and fun and didn't take itself seriously which I appreciate.

Stat!

I'm going to hold off judgements until I see it. A fresh take on a good franchise might produce some good results.

I'm a bit skeptical though. I'm not sure if I want tactical in my gears of war.

The simplified control scheme for a game that already has simple controls is a cause of concern for me. Plus this class based shit had better just be for hordeXbeast otherwise I won't be interested in judgment at all.

Oh and baird sucks.

-PXG-

Dat Sofia screen.

I knew the new control scheme was, designed to make the game faster. Might be good. Fast Gears is good Gears.

spanks

C'mon guys, the current Gears controls aren't that good. I mean, not being able to move the camera when you're running is pretty clunky. I, for one, welcome removal of the aforementioned clunk.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
C'mon guys, the current Gears controls aren't that good. I mean, not being able to look around when you're running is pretty clunky. I, for one, welcome removal of the aforementioned clunk.

i've never been a huge fan of gears, so take my perspective as you will, but i always HATED having to switch to grenades and use the shitty aim mechanic to throw them. in a game so focused on cover mechanics, grenades should have played a much bigger role in flushing people out of cover, but that never really seemed to be the case because of how clunky it was to actually use them.

of course, i'm sure hardcore gears players overcame this, just saying i couldnt.

I cant believe google fu failed me and I cannot find scans anywhere. Microsoft ninjas must be strong on this one.

I also cant believe MS was so stupid to let GI leak this like 2 days before the conference. Would have been an awesome surprise, now wasted.

And guys bitching about too many too soon, guessing this is spring 13 (surely, it wont conflict with Halo) or even later. In fact it could be basically MS swan song for 360.

I like me some Crysis, some Gears, and some Halo, and sorry if I dont find one of each every year or two or so too much. Do you know long a freakin year is? I mean if people can like God Of war after literally 7 since 2005...and 8th on the way

quickwhips

I think everyone needs to wait and see how this pans out before freaking out. I think it might be good. I have faith in epic and I know they are not going to let pcf do something that would make the game worst.

Zezboob

I just don't get it, out of all the things, they tweak the controls? The best TPS controls ever? I just don't get it.

In fact it totally makes sense, you don't have to worry to have your shotgun at the left and your rifle at the right. It's even perfect in some multiplayer modes when you start with only 1 main weapon.

The only problem IMO is the pistol, that takes too much time to be drawn, which could be troublesome when you want to finish a guy DBNO quickly instead of reloading.

-PXG-

C'mon guys, the current Gears controls aren't that good. I mean, not being able to move the camera when you're running is pretty clunky. I, for one, welcome removal of the aforementioned clunk.

Okay, d-pad weapon switching hasn't always been perfect. However, I'd blame MS for making a shitty d-pad.

As much as you think having a free camera would be better, it wouldn't. I could see a lot of players accidentally disorienting themselves by constantly shifting the camera around. There isn't that much shit going on where you have to do that.

Plus, Gears is about relying on your teammates and using audio queues to help you move around and not get killed. There is always that looming fear of imminent death. Adding a free camera would diminish that tension and render the aforementioned communication and sound effects, useless.

i've never been a huge fan of gears, so take my perspective as you will, but i always HATED having to switch to grenades and use the shitty aim mechanic to throw them. in a game so focused on cover mechanics, grenades should have played a much bigger role in flushing people out of cover, but that never really seemed to be the case because of how clunky it was to actually use them.

of course, i'm sure hardcore gears players overcame this, just saying i couldnt.

Grenades act as a way of getting people of position. That's how they pretty much work in any shooter. You can throw grenades from the hip without aiming. If you play long enough, you'll be able to eyeball just how short or far you can throw them, without needing assistance from the reticule.

I think everyone needs to wait and see how this pans out before freaking out. I think it might be good. I have faith in epic and I know they are not going to let pcf do something that would make the game worst.

Something called Gears of War 2 happened. We have a very good reason to be concerned. Epic undid a lot of damage and renewed a lot of good will with Gears 3. I'd hate for them to reverse that with this game.

The new controls, as I mentioned before, sound like they might increase the pace of the game. I like that. However, options are good, especially for control schemes. Let me decide how I want buttons mapped. A classic control scheme should be in there somewhere.

For instance, Omnidirectional Evade brought a big change in Gears 3. Before, you could only roll in the four cardinal directions. In Gears 3, you could virtually roll in any direction. That made going into cover more precise. It was a bit tricky to get used to at first, but players soon realized that it was a much needed feature. Of course, Epic gave us the option to turn it off. To this day, I still haven't gone back the old setup.

jet1911

Are we sure it's not an error though (about the left trigger = grenade). It would make more sense to be the left bumper no?

TheOddOne

Is this Xbox exclusive? Any chance for a PC version?
Twitter chatter says it's published by Microsoft and 360 exclusive.

No real confirmation though, but seeing that all the Microsoft published Gears have had Gaminformer covers – It should not be surprising.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Grenades act as a way of getting people of position. That's how they pretty much work in any shooter. You can throw grenades from the hip without aiming. If you play long enough, you'll be able to eyeball just how short or far you can throw them, without needing assistance from the reticule.

yeah, i could see that working with experience (actually, now that i think about it, i did do that in my gears 1 days), but the grenade switch still sucks.

Eh...glad to hear its pretty different.

I mean last time I checked Gears 3 still works pretty damn perfect and in my mind this game shouldn't even exist...so having it be different enough to be worth my time sounds good.

Top Bottom