• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Tactics (Kinect)

Cliffy - "Let's just bury the hatchet now, Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled."

Unless Epic were working on two Gears games for Kinect, which seems unlikely, we can assume this is the same cancelled project.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

I think I love you.

I actually think the concept sounds cool..... But as a kinect game I'm really unsure. I'm just not sure I see kinect being a viable input method for this. Could be a blast if it works though.

I don't mind the idea of the voice controlled squad based game (ala EndWar), but I don't know if the tech is REALLY there to execute on it yet. I mean, I really loved the way the squad commands were implemented into Mass Effect 3, but I just can't see it working with a more complicated RTS or tactical action game. I could see someone getting this right though next gen. Maybe not Epic, but someone.

Raide

Looks interesting, probably plays much like EndWar does. Mainly voice commands for movement and then gestures for highlighting units and tapping on-screen menus etc.

Feep

Banned
I don't mind the idea of the voice controlled squad based game (ala EndWar), but I don't know if the tech is REALLY there to execute on it yet. I mean, I really loved the way the squad commands were implemented into Mass Effect 3, but I just can't see it working with a more complicated RTS or tactical action game. I could see someone getting this right though next gen. Maybe not Epic, but someone.
It's funny you say that.

Alx

It makes me remind of Jagged Alliance games... it's been a while. :)
Not sure if I would want to play such a game on a console, though. Maybe if it was completely controlled by voice, it would be original, like a chess game "N°1, go hide behind the barrel, N°2 cover him", but I doubt voice recognition is advanced enough for that.

Zocano

HERE AND NOW WE SHOULD FIGHT AGAINST THE TYRANNY OF THE XCOMIFICATION OF GAMES.

It really gets my goat that people ruin the original vision by turning it into a tactical game. Let's boycott Epic!

Aside from sarcastic/silly remarks, I would think (or at least I hope) people could be excited for an actual tactics game but with a Gears of War lense. I'd sure be up for it (I adore Fire Emblem and XCOM: EU was one of the best games of last year). The problem is the implications of it coming as a kinect game and the odds of me picking up a kinect are still near zero even for a Gears of War game.

Unless of course there is some seriousness in your statements. There could be for all I know, since I know you adore (adore might be too strong a word?) Gears of War and its anti-war story and the epic bromance, but I might just be imagining things.

But really, an XCOM-esque game set in the Gears of War universe could be really cool, I just don't see it happening with kinect unless the precision of the device escalates a hundred fold.

DEADEVIL

Cliffy - "Let's just bury the hatchet now, Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled."

Unless Epic were working on two Gears games for Kinect, which seems unlikely, we can assume this is the same cancelled project.

Like I said. The cancellation was old news from Cliffy.

Wasn't Exile a rail shooter? Also this is said to be called tactics, not exile.

Wasn't Exile a rail shooter? Also this is said to be called tactics, not exile.

That was a false Kotaku rumour based on a fake screenshot, if I'm not mistaken. As for code names, well they're subject to change. The wording in the VGLeaks article implies tactics and the much rumoured Kinect Gears game that has been known for a couple of years are one and the same, not that this is something new.

Website VGleaks.com has allegedly obtained images from a Kinect-only Gears of War project called “Gears of War: Tactics”. As the subtitle suggests, Tactics was a real-time strategy game. All shots above come from an alpha build version of the project.

In Gears of War Tactics, players would control a squad made up of four different characters. Making a movement path can be accomplished by tracing a line with a finger.

VGleaks states that Epic Games was working on Tactics for the Xbox 360. The site speculates that it has since moved to the console’s successor, though it wouldn’t be surprising if this was simply canned – assuming Tactics was actually a game in development.

http://gamingeverything.com/40272/rumor-screenshots-from-gears-of-war-rts-emerge/
http://www.vgleaks.com/gears-of-war-tactics-first-screens-alpha-work/

gowt1.jpg

gowt4.jpg

gowt6.jpg

gowt7.jpg

The previous GoW Kinect rumors described an on-rails shooter, so it's entirely possible that there were two different Kinect projects. They wouldn't necessarily have been in development at the same time.

Okay, the idea already gave me a chuckle, and then I saw the screenshots.

Between that and the responses in this thread, I'm laughing pretty hard.

I want this to be a thing so I can laugh at it some more.

Top Bottom