• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Trailer from X05 in 720p direct feed!

llTll

Banned
is it the full trailer or only the public one?

because i heard there is one that was extended version but not for public. i dont know if someone got its hand on it though

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
WOW. That is the best looking game I've ever seen. It's better than MGS4 IMO even if the animation isn't nearly as good(although I don't think the animation was bad at all except for the part with him running with the camera circling, which could easily be fixed by release). I didn't really like the still shots because I thought all the shader effects and what not were really distracting, but in motion it actually looks really really cool.

J2 Cool

briefcasemanx said:
WOW. That is the best looking game I've ever seen. It's better than MGS4 IMO even if the animation isn't nearly as good(although I don't think the animation was bad at all except for the part with him running with the camera circling, which could easily be fixed by release). I didn't really like the still shots because I thought all the shader effects and what not were really distracting, but in motion it actually looks really really cool.

even if the animation is bad? Sorry, but animation is maybe the most important piece of creating a great looking game. This looks really impressive but let's not go crazy..

"BEST LOOKING GAME OF ALL TIME, EVEN IF THE ANIMATION IS A LITTLE SHITTY!! *splooge*"

Joe

J2 Cool said:
even if the animation is bad? Sorry, but animation is maybe the most important piece of creating a great looking game. This looks really impressive but let's not go crazy..

"BEST LOOKING GAME OF ALL TIME, EVEN IF THE ANIMATION IS A LITTLE SHITTY!! *splooge*"

you managed to take:
"I don't think the animation was bad at all"

and turn it into bad animation, THEN you turn it into shitty animation. BRAVO.

aaaaa0

Joe said:
you managed to take:

Par for the course here. WELL PLAYED GAF! :lol

Joe

damn, even though it was a slideshow most of the time on my computer it still looked pretty amazing.

J2 Cool

Joe said:
you managed to take:

I said a "little" shitty you word twister!

Andy787

Banned
It looks impressive, but to be perfectly honest, I find games like PGR3 and Oblivion much more impressive, and certainly MGS4.

Jerkface

Banned
Marathon said:
So what exactly is supposed to be good about this? Especially for those of us already playing FEAR...

FEAR? :lol

If you think Halo is repetitive but FEAR isn't then you're a hypocrite.

joaomgcd

gearsofwar.jpg

Whoa.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Im downloading it now. I cant wait to see it! This is the one game so far that has made me onsider buying an Xbox360

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marathon said:
So what exactly is supposed to be good about this? Especially for those of us already playing FEAR...
Can I go ahead an laugh at this post?

FEAR? FEAR?!?!

I swear, FEAR looks like a 2005 game crossed with something straight out of 2001. The rooms and areas could not possibly BE more simplistic and empty. Gears of War doesn't animate particularly well, but it is far FAR beyond FEAR in terms of detail. The environments shown in GoW are among the most detailed and complex we've seen in any game to date while FEAR can't even compete with some CONSOLE games on that front.

FEAR looks incredible about 25% of the time...but the majority has you wondering just what the hell they were thinking. I swear I had flashbacks to the Quake II engine at some points...

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
dark10x said:

Go right ahead if you want to look foolish.

GoW:

* Has that oh so hip four years ago 'shine' on almost every surface
* Utterly retarded effects
* Character animation that would have been bad in the late '90s
* Crappy framerate

I'll take FEAR and FarCry over this. And they are running on current GPUs.

There is something seriously wrong with the 360 if they are having trouble getting a game like this to run at 30...

rod

Banned
dark10x said:

FEAR? FEAR?!?!

I swear, FEAR looks like a 2005 game crossed with something straight out of 2001. The rooms and areas could not possibly BE more simplistic and empty. Gears of War doesn't animate particularly well, but it is far FAR beyond FEAR in terms of detail. The environments shown in GoW are among the most detailed and complex we've seen in any game to date while FEAR can't even compete with some CONSOLE games on that front.

FEAR looks incredible about 25% of the time...but the majority has you wondering just what the hell they were thinking. I swear I had flashbacks to the Quake II engine at some points...

i dont agree with a lot of things you say dude..

but that was...so well put..and i couldnt agree more. i dont have a pc strong enough to run the game, but ive played a fair while into it..in one playsession, and it is NOTHING special

Zer0

Banned
ok.excellent graphics ATROCIOUS FRAMERATE, i dont wanna gorgeous slideshows developers,work on the framerate

jet1911

Jerkface said:
The animations aren't final in the slightest either.

Great interview.

And Marathon you should read the interview Jerkface posted.

GS: Who wrote the story?

CB: Eric Nylund is writing the story – he's the officially assigned writer from Microsoft, he wrote the Halo book. I created the universe for the game.

:D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Marathon said:

GoW:

* Crappy framerate

There is something seriously wrong with the 360 if they are having trouble getting a game like this to run at 30...

You're right. These videos of the FINAL version are so last-gen. Oh wait....is that the final version? Considering it isn't, maybe Cliffy is just trying to give us progress videos. This vid looks better than the last, and I am utterly confident this game will continue to improve.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
game looks ridiculously great, but that trailer has to be a joke. the kid doing a "spooky" voiceover, an army guy gruffly telling us he's scared of fairy tales, another army guy informing us that "most urban legends are based on fact," baldy player character saying "tell me about it" (what? let's hope the dialogue isn't actually like that), that music that's in every movie trailer ever, and then baldy player character screaming hilariously while he shoots his gun? i lol'd!

dark10x

Marathon said:

GoW:

* Crappy framerate

Hey, I totally agree with all of your points there...but that doesn't suddenly make FEAR impressive. I was simply blown away by your praise of FEAR, because I'm finding the game to be downright poor looking most of the time (at the highest details, mind you). It's taking a step BACK for PC games in many ways by focusing only on very specific aspects. Whether or not a wall has some nice shader slapped on matters not when everything is so damn simple.

They each have loads of problems (though GoW remains unfinished)...but FEAR's problems are rooted far too heavily in PC games from 5 years ago. UT2003 was pretty much the first PC FPS to escape the dreaded "square room" syndrome that had plagued PC games for years. FEAR runs right back into it. You have level geometry that could have been done with Quake technology combined with high-end shaders, textures, and effects...

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:

FEAR? FEAR?!?!

You DO realize that FEAR is out NOW and comparing it to a game that will be out in a YEAR is pretty stupid, even for you.

Hell, FEAR 2 shits on GoW!!! Yes it will be out in 2007, but it SHITS ON IT RIGHT NOW even though it isn't quite ready yet.

That's pretty retarded arguing, first it was UE3 > Doom 3 but the idiots didn't mention that D3 engine will be 3-4 years old when GoW finally launches, now it's UE3 > FEAR.

Of course it is and it has NOTHING to do with GoW being a 360 game, it's just a better engine that hasn't shipped a game YET.

So while clowns will laugh at FEAR graphics and wait 12 months for their beloved GoW, I'll enjoy playing Monolith's game.

Unreal Tournament 2007, GoW GFX > F.E.A.R. GFX
2005 < 2006

Clowns.

End of discussion.

Andy787

Banned
I would just like to point out that Half-Life 2 is still more visually pleasing than GoW, FEAR, Doom 3, UT06, Quake 4, Quake Wars, Prey, or Duke Nukem Forever.

You may continue.

dark10x

Borys said:
You DO realize that FEAR is out NOW and comparing it to a game that will be out in a YEAR is pretty stupid, even for you.

Hell, FEAR 2 shits on GoW!!! Yes it will be out in 2007, but it SHITS ON IT RIGHT NOW even though it isn't quite ready yet.

That's pretty retarded arguing, first it was UE3 > Doom 3 but the idiots didn't mention that D3 engine will be 3-4 years old when GoW finally launches, now it's UE3 > FEAR.

Of course it is and it has NOTHING to do with GoW being a 360 game, it's just a better engine that hasn't shipped a game YET.

So while clowns will laugh at FEAR graphics and wait 12 months for their beloved GoW, I'll enjoy playing Monolith's game.

Unreal Tournament 2007, GoW GFX > F.E.A.R. GFX
2005 < 2006

Clowns.

End of discussion.
NO SHIT?!

I would never have made the comparison if it weren't for someone else bringing it up as I totally agree with you.

However...

That's exactly why I'm bitching. I am also playing Monolith's new game and am completely shocked at how unimpressive it looks. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that I think Halo 2 looks superior. *SOME* of the effects and shaders are truly THE best I've EVER seen, but the negatives are so negative that they completely drag them down.

I am much more interested in games that focus on an entire scene rather than an individual wall. If you were to stop and look closely at some random surface in Doom 3, for example, you might find that surface to be rather "low-res" or something. However, when actually moving through the world, the design absolutely overcomes any of these shortcomings and you are left with an incredible looking game. This is why I still feel that games like MGS2 hold up well today.

I can't believe how mixed my feelings on FEAR are, though. There are times where I want to lavish the game with praise and name it as a favorite...but then there are other times where I feel as if I'm just slogging through the land of the dull.

I don't expect many to agree with me, though, so don't get upset by it. Just stating my opinion, is all...

I would just like to point out that Half-Life 2 is still more visually pleasing than GoW, FEAR, Doom 3, UT06, Quake 4, Quake Wars, Prey, or Duke Nukem Forever.
I'd have to agree. Despite some rough edges (and the entire set of "beach" maps, which looked awful at times), the game was one of the most visually brilliant titles I've seen in years. I usually associate PC FPS games with "bad art", but Valve stands far above the rest.

Deg

Banned
Fear isnt that good looking... Hell i think HL2 looks better. FEAR looks abit plasticy to me but some bits are great.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
NO SHIT?!

*High Five!*

The solution to FEAR's low gfx points is pretty simple, in my opinion of course, they had to cut off on some aspects to keep the game playable on high-end machines. I'm thinking the PS effects are soooo GPU intensive that they simply had to scale down on env. textures, levels and geometry to push the GFX "flair". Anything better and the game would be unplayable. I wonder if Condemned has the same amount of SFX on screens - bullet blur, sharpening, slow-mo etc. All that gives pretty long shader ops IMO.

Or maybe it's just a sloppy engine, heh?

And yes, UT2K4 had absolutely awesome and insane level geometry. It didn't need bumpmapping cause everything was 3D-modelled, every brick and crack in walls, simply awesome.

Fact: The Slaughterhouse from UT2K3 is made of 600 000 polys! You can fly through walls and running 3DAnalyzer shows 620K polys! (Framerate --> 2 FPS).

KingJ2002

great trailer... the models look incredible

but the only thing holding gears of war back from being cg quality (which im sure most developers are aiming for) is the animation and the framerate.

make those characters move natural and have the framerate (60fps) to show it... or have it locked at 30fps with some sort of dramatic blurring effect to make the action look more intense.

[Reki]

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
great trailer... the models look incredible

but the only thing holding gears of war back from being cg quality (which im sure most developers are aiming for) is the animation and the framerate.

make those characters move natural and have the framerate (60fps) to show it... or have it locked at 30fps with some sort of dramatic blurring effect to make the action look more intense.
Indeed, something like in this picture:

gears_01.jpg

Top Bottom