• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War vs. Uncharted. Which franchise do you think was better THIS generation? (Xbox One/PlayStation 4)

Which franchise did you think was best overall THIS Generation? (XBO/PS4)

• Total voters
Gears of War and Uncharted have been butting heads since 2007, and have always been a major point of debate between fans. This time both series weren't as prominent as they were before, although still successful, and both have released two mainline games this generation.

220px-Gears_of_War_4.jpg
apps.48381.65494054591008504.3eb95796-405c-4def-901b-3b53a1c9e001.9107d00d-e2ea-4fd6-bc48-033241b5c52a
VS
220px-Uncharted_4_box_artwork.jpg
220px-Uncharted_The_Lost_Legacy_box_artwork.jpg

Both Series have released at least one traditional mainline game, and one game that went a little more....woke let's say. Also spin-offs.

Out of the releases from each this generation, which franchise do you think was better overall? Gears of War or Uncharted?

Tough choice, overall I think UC4+ Lost Legacy are slightly better as a package, but I enjoyed Gears 5 more than either. If I had to list them I'd put it at

1. Gears 5
  2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  3. Uncharted 4
  4. Gears 4
If I was forced to pick either or, I'd probably go Uncharted I guess. Still though, all pretty great games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I voted for Uncharted, because I enjoyed the games (story, spectacle, visuals, etc.) more than Gears 4 (and the small amount of Gears 5 I've played), but I actually hate the shooting gameplay in Uncharted 4. They nailed it in Uncharted 2, but the combat/shooting in every other game in the series has been a complete travesty if you ask me and it doesn't even approach the tight gameplay of the Gears games. My problem with Gears is that I just don't like much about them other than the core shooting mechanics.

RPS37

I just finished Gears 5 the other day.
The last act was fun, but getting there was a slog. I hated the desert, it wasn’t pretty and it wasn’t fun.
I remember being really impressed by Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, on the other hand.

Last edited:

njean777

hmm Gears for me, then again I am mainly an Xbox player. But Gears 4 MP was great and the story (if you like the lore) was pretty interesting. Gears 5 is good, but the story was kind of odd as the open world at least the way TC made it didn't exactly fit. The MP in 5 can use some fixes and they are updating it slowly. So we shall see if it gets to Gears 4 level.

GametimeUK

Huge Uncharted fan of 1, 2 and Golden Abyss. Uncharted 3 has grown on me after the aiming was fixed. Uncharted 2 is probably in my top 10 games of all time. However, the PS4 outings have not done it for me in the slightest. Gears 4 is a game I really enjoyed and I like what I've played of Gears 5 so far. I'm going to have to go with Gears and dare I say the classic games are probably aging better than Uncharted too.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I loved Gears 5 minus chapter 3 I think it was and The Matriarch was a cheap boss fight. I didn't like Gears 4 that much besides the flashback parts in the beginning

I loved Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy was cool besides The Western Ghats (it was way too long)

Overall I'd have to go with Uncharted

Last edited:

Banned
you could ask me what was better this gen, Uncharted or stepping into dog shit, and I still wouldn't chose Uncharted.

Gears 4 was meh as fuck, 5 was way better IMO but the GEars games are always a 1 playthrough and done kinda deal, ever since the first game. I like playing them in coop from time to time but I'm not a huge fan.

Last edited:

TexMex

Last gen both series were significantly better but I’d take Uncharted. I also love 3 nearly as much as 2. Never got the hate.

This gen both are mediocre. Lost Legacy was pretty good for what it was tho.

Of the two this gen I only played Uncharted 4 and Gears 4.

Though between those two I'd easily choose Uncharted. It had it's flaws but it still carried me to the end with little issue.

Gears 4 I had to force myself to finish and was constantly hoping the game would end while playing through it. Was quite surprising as I never had that reaction when playing prior Gears entries, not even Judgement.

Gears for me Uncharted bored me to tears.
I think Gears needs more of a rest now though it's starting to show some cracks which would be alarming to its devs.

Gears 4 and 5 are just okay. Uncharted 4 needed the good Paranormal things that made 1-3 amazing.. I can't say much about lost legacy since I need to play it.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't play Lost Legacy, but I played Gears 4 and 5 and U4.

U4 is better than Gears 4, but Gears 5 is better than U4.

Gears 4 was fucking terrible.

kiphalfton

Uncharted 4 was okay, which I would attribute to the grappling hook, foliage stealth areas, and subpar shooting mechanics.

In regards to GoW, only played the first two. Considering they were inspired by RE4, I'm pretty disappointed by them.

I played both. Gears is a more fun shooter. Uncharted more of a story game.
Graphically Uncharted is a beast.
So as far as a quality game goes, Uncharted. To just pick up and play it's Gears.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No question Gears for me. I liked Gears 4 and loved 5. UC4 OTOH I hated, hated all the characters and that includes pussified Drake the family man. Sully was the only good character in the game, I still loved him. I was bored to tears with all the family bs and could barely get myself to finish the game.

I got rid of PS4 before playing Lost Legacy came out, but from remarks I read here and elsewhere it seems that one was pretty good, but since I didn't play it, my vote goes for Gears.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm honestly wondering if there's going to be another Uncharted. It's blatant that there's going to be another main Gears this upcoming gen, but I'm not sure about Uncharted.

VertigoOA

Banned
Never liked Uncharted. Vastly prefer the new Tomb Raider games over it too. Then again Naughty Sog is the most overrated developer there is.

So Gears.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Gears 4 was bland. Gears 5 is better. Uncharted 4 was too long. Lost legacy was better paced. It didn't out stay its welcome. So I guess Uncharted based on the strength of Lost Legacy.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Uncharted and it wasn't close. I even like Uncharted mp way better with its added elements of traversal and it being less static and more dynamic gameplay like climbing buildings, jumping over almost anything. I remember playing gears 5 and not being able to jump over walls tht were above my kneecaps smh.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I dislike both of them, but I think Uncharted is better.

PocoJoe

Banned
Gears are epicly boring, played few on 360 and no thanks.

Uncharted have too much of shooting, but kind of interesting subject

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Tricky. I can’t vote. I would say gears 5 made the biggest improvements and was the better game by a long shot, but I keep hearing about how good Lost Legacy was compared to 4.

Vawn

Banned
I don't like Gears much, but I'm starting to get burned out on Uncharted too. Uncharted is definitely better, but I'm ready for Naughty Dog to move on to new IPs.

Roberts

I didn't hate Gears 4, Lost Legacy is pretty good, but Uncharted 4's messy pacing and lack of interesting gameplay would give Gears an edge in this, because Gears 5 is easily the best out of all the games.

JMZ555

I enjoyed Gears 1 and 2 but then didn't bother with the series. This Gen I only completed Gear 5 which i found to be overall poor.

Uncharted 4 was good and had some great moments but the games pacing was bad in places, way too much climbing by mashing button.

LL i found to be very good with much better pacing than 4.

So for me its easily Uncharted. Gears needs a complete overhaul to get me re-interested.

thelastword

Banned
Gears is not even on the same level as UC......Where is the verticality and engaging gunplay in Gears, where are the good exciting characters, the funny banter, the great graphics......In UC you are on an adventure, you can approach the levels in so many ways, the environments are huge and gorgeous, lots of interesting locales and better stories...….Gears is still Whackamole for the most part, stay behind cover and shoot.

Gears 5 scores around the same as Gears 4, they tried to open up the game, but it was so bland and un-inspired....Kate never got any emotion out of me, when they took care of what was troubling Kate, it was so uneventful, I said all these headaches for this, then the choosing part and the ho-hum boss towards the end......Lots of sacrifices to physics for what? I'd say Gears 5 is worse than 4, neither is exceptional....None of the characters memorable...Gears is done....UC was always kinda open and encouraged open-ended gameplay.....Gears was always robotic in comparison, it was easier for UC to transition.....I don't see how they can reboot Gears and still maintain what it is...…

To put it simply, Gears 5 (the latest entry) is a much worse game than Gears 1, in every way...….

Roufianos

Both franchises have disappointed this gen. Uncharted 4 is boring as anything though at least Lost Legacy seemed to actually get what made the series so fun.

Gears 4 is awesome online but the campaign was extremely safe. 5 was more ambitious but the open world didn't work and it only cemented that the new cast are infinately less interesting than the original.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I was hugely disappointed in Gears of War 4 but Gears 5 was really good with chapter 3 being a slog

Uncharted 4 became one of my favorite video games ever, the realistic melee, the visual effects of explosions, the rope adding variety to the gameplay, some of the best set pieces I've ever witnessed, head spinning graphics, amazing presentation, lovable characters and the acting is superb

Lost Legacy also has its moments but the open world chapter brought it down a notch for me. That train set piece though 🤯

Gears 4: Just ok
Gears 5: Really really good

Uncharted 4: Simply amazing
Uncharted Lost Legacy: Really good

xrnzaaas

I would say Uncharted even though both PS4 Uncharted games had pretty horrible pacing issues. At least Uncharted 4 had a satisfying ending which rewarded all the time spent with it.

Gears 4 was a HUGE miss for me (fyi I only play them for singleplayer), I hated the introduction of robots, disliked or hated most of the new characters and their banter, the game also felt like it ended abruptly. I skipped Gears 5 entirely, also because its wokeness. Maybe I'll play the campaign one day thanks to game pass, but I have tons of more interesting games to play first.

Last edited:

Fbh

Both disappointed and both felt like a step back from their last gen entries.

But overall I'd pick Uncharted.

Uncharted easily

Lost Legacy is easily better than the other 3 combined, and Uncharted 4's only real flaws were being too big and lacking anything supernatural.

Gears just feels like a series with nothing new to say and no real passion behind it anymore.

Hobbygaming

I would say Uncharted even though both PS4 Uncharted games had pretty horrible pacing issues. At least Uncharted 4 had a satisfying ending which rewarded all the time spent with it.

Gears 4 was a HUGE miss for me (fyi I only play them for singleplayer), I hated the introduction of robots, disliked or hated most of the new characters and their banter, the game also felt like it ended abruptly. I skipped Gears 5 entirely, also because its wokeness. Maybe I'll play the campaign one day thanks to game pass, but I have tons of more interesting games to play first.
I remember the lead up to Gears of War 4 and thinking the robots were a nice change up but they ended up so boring to fight in Gears of War 4

The DB's were much better in Gears 5

Last edited:
Top Bottom