• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War vs. Uncharted. Which franchise do you think was better THIS generation? (Xbox One/PlayStation 4)

Which franchise did you think was best overall THIS Generation? (XBO/PS4)

• Total voters

dilbag

Gears wins this gen.
Gears MP and horde mode have been incredible. Gears 4 was weak compared to 1-3 but i still had some fun with it. Gears 5 is single player is a slog the open world areas are boring and feel like filler ( I hope they ditch this concept for gears 6).

Uncharted 4 had a decent story but man I beat that game once and I will most likely never play it again. by the end up the campaign I was ready to put the game down and never touch it again. Uncharted 1-3 where incredible. UC4 I had to force my self to beat it.

DrDamn

I appreciated UC4 and really enjoyed Lost Legacy. Gears 5 is the first one I've played for a while, mostly SP, it's great fun and the gunplay is excellent - but it's really buggy for a big release 5 months down the line. Had numerous problems playing co-op with a friend. From minor annoyances like prompts not appear to dialogue lines appearing late, to mobs ending up behind scenery and checkpoint restarts being required to progress, to full on section restarts and game crashes. It does look and move fantastic too though (X1X in HDR).

lock2k

Banned
I still haven't played Uncharted 4. Gears 4 was so so and Gears 5 bored the fuck out if my skull so I didn't bother to continue playing.

HBx2000

I have yet to play Lost Legacy, but Uncharted 4 was so much different from previous three great entries.

Where the hell did that brother come from? He was annoying as hell. Kept playing hoping it would become better, in the end it did, but too little too late.
Even hated that ending fight. What were they thinking? I really felt like Naughty Dog didn't want to make this game, but Sony forced them in order
to finance The Last of Us 2. Because that's what the first half of the game feels like to me, just character swapping and a few tweaks to make it "fit" Uncharted.

Gears of War 4 on the other hand stayed true to it's origins. Sure, a few new faces to appeal a new generation of fans. I can understand that.
Gears of War 5 tried to do a few new things, not something I hate, but also not something I love, but could get used to. Like the skiff for example.

manfestival

I played Gears 4 and 5. 4 was boring and trash. 5 was improved over 4 but they were just solid games. Man 4 was such a dull game. I did really like 5 though

Uncharted 4 was an excellent game.

I give this to Uncharted.

Eiknarf

Holy crap
I’m loving this Lost Legacy!!

Again, I can’t believe I held off on this for MONTHS because it didn’t score as well as Uncharted 4!!!

I kinda don’t want it to end, so I’m taking my time

Pejo

Gold Member
I think both current gen versions were trash. Uncharted never felt so bad to play as it did in 4. The lore was good, and that's honestly about it. There wasn't even any "supernatural" stuff this time around.

UC2 and Gears 1 are my personal favorites in their respective series, and both amazing games.

Eiknarf

Can we continue to explore the map after we finish the game?

you know how after you finish some games, the credits roll, and then you’re free to roam the world and do what you want? Can we do that in Lost Legacy?

I am very biased on this one. Uncharted all the way, although I definitely think it's possible that I would enjoy gears 5 to some extent if I played it. Gears just never intrigued me.

Here is the thing though. I would have much rather played the version of Uncharted 4 that Amy Hennig was crafting. Sam was supposed to be the villain through at least half of the game. The whole plot revolved around Sam thinking that Nate abandon him in prison so he would have teamed up with Rafe to get back at Nate. At some point Sam would flip flop and turn to Nathans side. I also wish we got Greg Edmunson returning for the 4th and final soundtrack. Henry Jackman (Who I call "Henry Jackoff") really butchered the original score that Uncharted's 1 through 3 had. Uncharted 4's soundtrack was fucking horrible apart from a few decent themes like the shootout theme in Madagascar and "For Better or Worse".

And what is funny is I think I actually enjoyed The Lost Legacy slightly more than Uncharted 4. I was more interested in the misty jungles of India than I was in most of the locations in 4. Lost Legacy also had more interesting puzzles and set pieces. The final train sequence was mind blowing even though it was just a rehash of the Uncharted 2 train but more elaborate.

I do have to say that I would like to give an honorable mention to the final ship graveyard set piece in Uncharted 4. The combine the massive shootouts of Uncharted 1, the truck chase from Uncharted 2 and the sinking ship (With the same exact animations, like when Nate surfaces and gasps for air, which were really cool to see in the new engine!) from Uncharted 3, all in a seamless sequence that was very impressive to say the least.

I could rant for a while about Uncharted 4 but I'll stop for now unless someone eggs me on further. I liked it a lot. But apart from the gameplay and overall plot being better, I think Uncharted 3 is a lot better than 4.

bender

What time is it?
I'd probably lean towards Gears but both series are long in the tooth with completely forgettable campaigns.

Stuart360

This gen = Gears.
Over the whole series of games = Uncharted.

Uncharted 2 and 3 are honestly great games, and i prefer them over any Gears, apart from maybe the first Gears which was also awesome at the time, especially in co-oop

Arun1910

I don't see how anyone who has played both could vote for gears. Uncharted has better acting, gameplay, storytelling, graphics and even just movement control of your character. Even though the pacing in UC4 was a bit dire the overall presentation and payoff was great.

Gears 4 was trash. Gears 5 was fun, I enjoyed it, but nothing about it was Naughty Dog level.

Gears 4 wasnt good. 1/3 was shooting this damn robots is all i remember. Gears 5 i didnt play.
Uncharted 4 was a little better, but they toned down the action too much

scalman

gers is cover shooting game. tried gears 5 and its not on same generation even as division so whats to compare here, went back to division 1,2 . uncharted wins by story .

I can't vote because I never played Gears but I didn't like Uncharted 4 as much as 2 and 3.
I don't know what happened. I mean, there were some good moments in it but the game wasn't that amazing like the other two

Lost interest in uncharted (Naughty Dog in general) with their virtue signaling and GOW has been meh since the 3 entry.

Neither series is a purchasing factor for me.

thelastword

Banned
I remember some doofus here said that Gears 5 was better than anything Sony released during this generation :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_sweat:

The results are staggering, impressive!
Yeah, Gears 5 was not even close...….If Gears 5 was so good it would be a 90+ rated game after Gears 4......For many reasons I felt Gears 4 was the better game because the open ended levels in Gears was certainly not impressive.....It's like they only implemented the wireframe for open ended gameplay without the polygons and shading......I'd give the nod to Gears 4 for better physics simulations alone.....Still, these two Gears games combined can't touch the offshoot, Uncharted Lost Legacy, so I don't see how they are beating the main games.....

Yeah, Gears 5 was not even close...….If Gears 5 was so good it would be a 90+ rated game after Gears 4......For many reasons I felt Gears 4 was the better game because the open ended levels in Gears was certainly not impressive.....It's like they only implemented the wireframe for open ended gameplay without the polygons and shading......I'd give the nod to Gears 4 for better physics simulations alone.....Still, these two Gears games combined can't touch the offshoot, Uncharted Lost Legacy, so I don't see how they are beating the main games.....
Uncharted Lost Legacy might be thr greatest DLC ever created.

I've played every Gears game in existence and til this day I don't get the hype

They aren't terrible games but I'm not sure they deserve the praise they've gotten

Top Bottom