• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There seem to be quite a few people reporting that VSSAO doesn't work at all with 0.3 - is this widespread or is it just affecting a few people? What's the commonality? Anyone with an Nvidia card find it's not working? I'd quite like to have VSSAO working in my game, having to make do with the default at the minute. There's not really a good way to find this out other than a load of boring 'works for me, my specs are.../doesn't work for me, my specs are' type posts.

So I'll start:

Doesn't work for me, my specs are: ASUS Radeon 6950 on the latest 14.4 WHQL drivers, 16:10 monitor (1680 x1050).

I'll respond since I was one of the ones reporting the problem.

Geforce 560 Ti, 335.23 WHQL driver, Windows 7 64 bit, 16:10 monitor (1680x1050) just like you

running 0.3 not only doesn't give me GeDoSaTo's version of VSSAO, it actually destroys the ability for Dark Souls 2 to use it's own AO solution without GeDoSaTo running, until I go back and run 0.2 again, at which point both the GDST and DS2 implementations work. The reason I don't use the 0.2 version of VSSAO, though, is that it also adds faint dark horizontal lines all over the screen.

Htown

I have a "way out there" idea about the issue. Zenball, or anyone suffering from it, can you try running the game at 1280x720 fullscreen and see if you get AO?

Actually, this is 100 percent correct. When I run it at 1280x720, AO functionality works exactly as advertised. At 1680x1050, it does literally nothing.

[Asmodean]

I have a "way out there" idea about the issue. Zenball, or anyone suffering from it, can you try running the game at 1280x720 fullscreen and see if you get AO?.

Good thinking there lol.

I achieved asimilar effect by fixing (or at least improving) the linearization of the depth.

Nice, I look forward to seeing it.

I think keeping it is the best choice, it should actually speed things up (skipping all that sampling for sky box pixels).

Yeah, I won't be removing it, no worries.

Durante

As I thought.

Probably everyone suffering from the issue was using a non-16:9 resolution. Will be fixed in the next version.

[Asmodean];109983328 said:
Nice, I look forward to seeing it.
I didn't go as far as you did though. I had it similar to that, but I realized that even though it makes not the least physical sense I actually prefer the way the game looks if the AO radius slightly increases with depth. Go figure.

Htown

As I thought.

Probably everyone suffering from the issue was using a non-16:9 resolution. Will be fixed in the next version.

iyemFmp0N0hgZ.gif

I didn't go as far as you did though. I had it similar to that, but I realized that even though it makes not the least physical sense I actually prefer the way the game looks if the AO radius slightly increases with depth. Go figure.

I actually enjoy a larger AO radius for a game like DS2. Looks drearier and darker... fits the style IMO.

[Asmodean]

Yeah I can get that. If the depth was too uniform in linearization, stuff further off would just look outlined, instead of occluded.

Well, of course those screens I posted were just of my own personal preference in radius. That's only for the sampling radius though. You can still use aoRadiusMultiplier etc, to increase it to your liking.

Durante

I'm on 16:10 too, for the record.
As a workaround until the next version you could just set a 16:9 resolution in-game (and set your GPU or monitor scaling settings so that it doesn't stretch).

[Asmodean];109985311 said:
Well, of course those screens I posted were just of my own personal preference in radius. That's only for the sampling radius though. You can still use aoRadiusMultiplier etc, to increase it to your liking.
Absolutely, but I noticed that I prefer a smaller sampling radius on the character, to show more detail with the equipment (e.g. bags, belts, etc), and a larger sampling radius further away for the level geometry. I couldn't really get that with completely linear depth. As you say, much of this is personal preference.

Parsnip

Yes, there would besome minor benefits, but not nearly enough to justify the huge amount of work for almost the same end result.

Not really, the old method works for those two games. It's just much more important for a generic tool.
Makes sense, thanks for answering my weird questions. :p

Dr Dogg

Just a quick Child of Light update, it does indeed work when altering the resolution in the config file.

Why it doesn't pick it up in game like the other two UbiArt Engine games I don't know.

As I said was me just being silly :)

UrbanRats

As a workaround until the next version you could just set a 16:9 resolution in-game (and set your GPU or monitor scaling settings so that it doesn't stretch).

The game has black bars in 16:10 anyway, so it shouldn't even stretch (?).

I'm tired now, but tomorrow i'll give it a try!

Durante

By the way, this is roughly how I have the AO set up currently (ignore the alpha blended effects like signs and bloodstains, those aren't part of the AO):

aojso4s.jpg

I'm very happy with it. There's detailing on the character models but the level stuff is more ambient-y than drop shadow-y. Those are the technical terms, by the way.

UrbanRats

Actually went in and tried it quickly:

Yup, 1440p --> 1080p, and VSSAO works!

As i said, the game has black bars so i don't even really see a difference in aspect ratio.

Buburibon

I too prefer it that way. Speaking of which, I have noticed the AO flickering on & off at times while walking through a doorway into a new room/area.

Also, before I forget, I would like to thank you very much for all of your hard work. :)

[Asmodean]

Yeah I like it like that too tbh. The only thing that bugs me about having it like that myself is haloing. Haloing on top of stuff outside etc that really shouldn't have occlusion, can look super weird lol.

Edit: If you wanted to quickly see what your version would look like with my sampling radius type. You could remove the sample_radius up by the sample offsets, and add 'float sample_radius = pow(1.0 - Depth, 0.25);' just before the loop in ssao_Main, and remove the sample_radius counter in the loop.

Just tried Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, works perfectly.

EDIT:

Add Batman: Arkham Asylum to the list as well, runs great and saw no issues. ^_^

[Asmodean]

Hey Asmodean, will you release your version of AO? I'm really digging your screens up there.

You can get it here. If you want to try it out.

I use ssaoStrength 3 myself. So keeping that in mind. The strength of it, has been balanced around strength preset 3.

#Edit: Reuploaded that file, with a few tweaks to distance/strength.

KKRT00

By the way, this is roughly how I have the AO set up currently (ignore the alpha blended effects like signs and bloodstains, those aren't part of the AO):

http://abload.de/img/aojso4s.jpg

I'm very happy with it. There's detailing on the character models but the level stuff is more ambient-y than drop shadow-y. Those are the technical terms, by the way.

Seems legit :)

Looks great btw, i really like AO on/from the barrels.

Durante, have You tried to implement Crytek's technique SSDO or any AO that would work from other light sources than sun too?

As I thought.

Well that was quick! I look forward to the next version then :) Thanks Durante.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did it show up as a selectable resolution in game for you? I had to alter the config file to get it to work for me.

Yeah, all I did was modify the rendering resolution in the ini and it showed up just fine.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, all I did was modify the rendering resolution in the ini and it showed up just fine.

As that's good. At least I wasn't being a total thicko (although it took me a couple of hours to twig to alter the config files).

Stupidly haven't tried to use the Rayman Origins/Legends SLI bits either as it's a bit more demanding than those two titles and I was getting drops to 30 at higher resolutions. All that glorious fluid simulation hair!

UrbanRats

[Asmodean];109994266 said:

I use ssaoStrength 3 myself. So keeping that in mind. The strength of it, has been balanced around strength preset 3.

Installed the 0.4 version and i love it!

Whenever you improve on it etc etc, please post it here, since i really like your implementation of it.

[Asmodean];109994266 said:

Thanks for sharing! I'll try that as soon as I get out from the office :)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I was thinking, what if I replace the old VSSAO shader the new VSAAO shader file in DSfix? Could it work?

Edit: Yes it does.

Wray

So this seems like a good place to ask. Mainly asking this with regards to Dark Souls 2, but in general, what's the better IQ scenario?

1440p and Default AA (FFAA)

or

1080p and SGSSAA x2

Able to get 60fps around 99% of the time with 1080p/SGSSAAx2, but at 1440p I typically get mid 40's using SGSSAA x2 with WickfutENB/HBAO.

Note this is on a 780TI

Desaan

So this seems like a good place to ask. Mainly asking this with regards to Dark Souls 2, but in general, what's the better IQ scenario?

1440p and Default AA (FFAA)

or

1080p and SGSSAA x2

Able to get 60fps around 99% of the time with 1080p/SGSSAAx2, but at 1440p I typically get mid 40's using SGSSAA x2 with WickfutENB/HBAO.

Don't use an ENB with GeDoSaTo, Durante has already included various .fx files that the ENB's use, they are probably going to conflict unless you've disabled/deleted those files.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I've tried for 2 hours and I can't get this to work.

When do I "activate" it? Before or during I have DS2 running? Windows + G? Nothing happens.

edit: Now it says "Could not register global hotkey"

So I've tried for 2 hours and I can't get this to work.

When do I "activate" it? Before or during I have DS2 running? Windows + G? Nothing happens.

edit: Now it says "Could not register global hotkey"

Run GeDoSaTo tool first, press "Activate."
Run DS2. Set in game res to whatever you told GeDoSaTo to use. Turn on in-game effects.

Done.

Does the screenshot functionality of GeDoSaTo not pick up SGSSAA? I was downsampling from 5120x3200 + 4xSGSSAA for screenshots, and in the full resolution versions, it looked like no anti-aliasing was running. I know that SGSSAA was in fact being applied as I did before/after comparison shots to confirm.

Run GeDoSaTo tool first, press "Activate."
Run DS2. Set in game res to whatever you told GeDoSaTo to use. Turn on in-game effects.

Done.

Thanks, but still nothing happens.

I'm running it as an Administrator, yeah. Steam Overaly is turned off. No anti-virus software.

What is "Windows + G" used for btw?

edit: Now I'm getting overlay messages like "AO disabled" etc when toggling with the keys. But there's no downsampling, no AO, or SMAA

Grief.exe

Sorry I should I have noted that I'm not using GeDoSaTo with my WickfutENB currently. The lighting advantages it gives make the game look too nice to not use.

Looking Glass Knight Boss with WickfutENB

I'm still using Nvidia Inspector for AA from Durantes guide.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

Wow that looks amazing :eek: I want to use the ENB but I don't want to miss out on Durante's godly Bokeh DoF so I stick to GeDoSaTo. I wish there was a way to combine both :(

Top Bottom