• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Parsnip

Do you just download the EXE and DLL? I copied my folder for beta 10, made a 10.1 folder, and placed the new EXE and DLL in there.

Now Borderlands 2 crashes when I change resolution 100% of the time. The game will ask if I want to keep the new res, and crashes when I click yes. Normally the crash happens before the confirmation appears.

Figured maybe I screwed something up.

Just so you know, I didn't have any crashes in BL2 (outside of the framedump crash) when I was looking for the hashes in 0.9beta and later. It's strange. Makes me wonder if it's something related to your screenshotting methods that's conflicting?

The crashes only happen when I swap to\from GeDoSaTo's resolution. When I'm just playing, the game is rock-solid. Sometimes I can go 30 minutes to an hour with no crash. Ideally I could play at 7680x3240 and not have to switch my resolution ever... but I don't have that kind of hardware. But yeah, it's only really an issue when I'm worried about taking screenshots. Which I shouldn't bother. But I'm trying to come up with a nice set of "GeDoSaTo downsampling examples" and I'm still not happy with my crop of Borderlands 2 shots :(

Anywho, maybe it is Cheat Engine. One3rd also had a lot of crashes when he was playing Borderlands 2, but he was using Cheat Engine as well. But he also says he doesn't get those crashes when he uses SoftTH for higher resolutions so... yeah. I dunno.

Anywho, maybe it is Cheat Engine. One3rd also had a lot of crashes when he was playing Borderlands 2, but he was using Cheat Engine as well. But he also says he doesn't get those crashes when he uses SoftTH for higher resolutions so... yeah. I dunno.

My Borderlands 2 crashes constantly even without Gedosato. Pretty sure the game is just unstable itself.

Spazznid

Remember Me crashes if I try using it with the Windowed Fullscreen option enabled. Try disabling that. {in GeDoSaTo, not in the game's options}

wihio

anyone having good luck with Fallout New Vegas? I had it working up until the latest update, now Fallout simply crashes. It is possible I am fudging it up with mods (including the fnv4gb app), but I really had no trouble before. Now with GeDoSaTo enabled, FNV crashes prior to loading. With it disabled, it works fine.

I would love some pointers on getting it to work properly with ENBs etc, too, if anyone were to offer.

edit: Tested it with vanilla app, still no go. Verified game caches, etc, still no go. When I deactivate GeDoSaTo, works fine...

Durante

Do you just download the EXE and DLL? I copied my folder for beta 10, made a 10.1 folder, and placed the new EXE and DLL in there.
Yes. that's how it works. Of course it might not always work like that (e.g. if there is a shader change you'll also have to download that shader file), and as I said I don't want to support these intermediate versions.

Managed to get AO working for Shenmue on nulldc :
sanstitrehal60.jpg
sanstitre2sez8k.jpg
sanstitre3jiyk2.jpg
I got lucky enough so nulldc let me inject a INTZ depth surface that I could retrieve once it is done rendering and feed it to VSSAO2.fx. Apparently the depth is stored in the red component I didn't do any other decoding/linearizing (maybe I should ?)

I just wanna say that I played around with GeDoSaTo/downsampling for the first time today with a couple of games in my library, and I'm absolutely stunned how good down-sampling looks. Tested it with some known working games and am absolutely amazed.
Happy to see this project exist, love to continue supporting you and your work!

Durante

Managed to get AO working for Shenmue on nulldc :

I got lucky enough so nulldc let me inject a INTZ depth surface that I could retrieve once it is done rendering and feed it to VSSAO2.fx. Apparently the depth is stored in the red component I didn't do any other decoding/linearizing (maybe I should ?)
I was actually thinking about trying to add INTZ-based AO injection to the generic plugin. It could work with quite a few games, but people would still need to adjust the relative depth and SSAO parameters. But this could be solved by per-game SSAO shaders.

Anyway, nice work (though you need to tweak it a bit, lots of haloing there - also the range looks extremely depth dependent, which it shouldn't be - you do need to linearize the Z to fix that).

robgrab

anyone having good luck with Fallout New Vegas? I had it working up until the latest update, now Fallout simply crashes. It is possible I am fudging it up with mods (including the fnv4gb app), but I really had no trouble before. Now with GeDoSaTo enabled, FNV crashes prior to loading. With it disabled, it works fine.

I would love some pointers on getting it to work properly with ENBs etc, too, if anyone were to offer.

edit: Tested it with vanilla app, still no go. Verified game caches, etc, still no go. When I deactivate GeDoSaTo, works fine...

Version 0.10 broke compatibility with modded FNV. You have to download the latest build from https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/tree/master/pack
Download the latest .exe and .dll and replace them in your GeDoSaTo folder and FNV should work again. I tried it yesterday and it works perfectly.

Durante

Today I implemented multisampling support while downsampling.
(Yo dawg I heard you liked sampling etc. etc.)

apologies again. just saw it :/ guess I'll have to make a Task Scheduler for it then
Yeah, or disable UAC. The way MS wants you to do startup programs with admin rights on accounts with UAC is extremely annoying and cumbersome.

Arukado

Xebra on the left and ePSXe on the right. Both are opengl but they do work with GLDirect5. Xebra doesn't upscale at all though (unfortunately). ePSXe seems to work pretty well with Pete's OpenGL. I can't go higher than twice my monitor res so far which is a shame
Can you take a screenshot of your Pete's OpenGL plugin configuration?

robgrab

Thanks for the info... I tried the latest exe and dll and still get crashes. well, I will be patient and wait for further releases :p

Did you try alt injection mode? (Just noticed there is no alt version choice any more). Also, there are three .exe files you need to add for FNV to work if I remember correctly: nvse_loader, fnv4gb, and FalloutNV.

Funny thing with Gedo 0.10 and War Thunder. Even without the .exe in Whitelist, the launcher detect GeDoSaTo aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand detect the downsampling resolution. You can start the game with Gedo - Downsampling, in Dx11 renderer.
Fun fact, you don't have the in game overlay for Gedosato.
First Dx11 game that actually works? :p

DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 are both DX11 and they've work perfectly with Gedo for as long as I can remember.

wihio

Did you try alt injection mode? (Just noticed there is no alt version choice any more). Also, there are three .exe files you need to add for FNV to work if I remember correctly: nvse_loader, fnv4gb, and FalloutNV.

I did not have nvse_loader in the whitelist but even after adding it it still crashed. I am thinking my install is somewhat borked. The game runs fine-- with all mods, etc, just not with GeDoSaTo. I will look through the settings just to be sure I am not doing something dumb.

Batman Arkham City works nicely with Gedosato.

Whitelist the game exe (BatmanAC), config your downsample res then use the game's launcher to set it within the game engine. Click play on the launcher and it's good to go.

I also found the hash for HUD-less screen shots: c767ab12.

Anyone got this working on GTA 4, either stock game or with ICEnhancer?

I'm using ICE 3.0 and my game won't start with GeDoSaTo, it opens to the black screen for about 5 seconds then just gives me the generic "X has stopped working" error. Tried on a June version, the latest stable version (with normal and alt injection), and the latest Github version.

Anyone got this working on GTA 4, either stock game or with ICEnhancer?

I'm using ICE 3.0 and my game won't start with GeDoSaTo, it opens to the black screen for about 5 seconds then just gives me the generic "X has stopped working" error. Tried on a June version, the latest stable version (with normal and alt injection), and the latest Github version.

I scrolled up a little bit on this page...

Awesome! Just downloaded the latest build and I can confirm it fixes the d3d9.dll problem for me. Now all my previous games work again. Not only that but it fixed the graphical glitch with the minimap in GTA IV. Excellent work! This tool gets better every day. Thanks Durante!

14585929868_0265ccfee9_o_d.jpg

ENB has been hit or miss though it seems. I should try it with Dark Souls 2.

I scrolled up a little bit on this page...

ENB has been hit or miss though it seems. I should try it with Dark Souls 2.

I thought I'd ask anyway because there are a lot of variables in play with GTA 4, such as game version and ENB version, it's impossible to determine those from a picture. Just wanting to know who got it working with the same as me, ICEnhancer 3.0 and GTA 4 1.0.7.0, latest version.

BONKERS

Today I implemented multisampling support while downsampling.
(Yo dawg I heard you liked sampling etc. etc.)

Yeah, or disable UAC. The way MS wants you to do startup programs with admin rights on accounts with UAC is extremely annoying and cumbersome.

Did some games built in MSAA not work previously?

BONKERS

Yes. I know that the King's Bounty games never worked before but now they do.

Actually, re-reading what you are asking, MSAA didn't work at all when downsampling previously.

Strange!

Certainly a welcome fix for games that actually have decent MSAA built in.

Durante

What do you mean?

Actually, to clarify my previous post, some games using MSAA might have worked, if they used MSAA on a rendertarget they created and resolved it by themselves. What didn't work is using MSAA directly on the backbuffer.

Wulfegang

Does anyone know if Firefall would detect this game as a hack and ban you? I would really like to test it out and see if I could get it to work but do not want to risk getting banned. Thanks.

closer1000

Neo Member
Hey. I can add a hudless Saboteur to the list. Here's a look:

screenshot_2014-07-317ooly.png

for version 1.0:
injectPSHash 9a8d01fb

for the patched version:
injectPSHash 4bebd9ef

I am having a weird issue, though. Sometimes things get pretty glitchy and become transparent. Happens with or without the hud. Only happens when using GeDoSaTo. Here's what it looks like. Any thoughts?

screenshot_2014-07-34ajg7.jpeg

Does anyone know if Firefall would detect this game as a hack and ban you? I would really like to test it out and see if I could get it to work but do not want to risk getting banned. Thanks.

Anyone tried AC: Liberation HD? I can't seem to get it to work.

I dont think anyone would know that. GeDoSaTo is fairly new and until now, Firefall was in beta. You'd probably have to ask on their support forums what their policy is on injectors like this. You're probably fine. I don't know of anyone that bans for this sorta thing.

wihio

After some further testing, I found that I can only get GeDoSaTo version 0.9.879 to work with Fallout New Vegas, modded with fnv4gb, enbseries 0.249, and NMC's Textures. Each successive version crashes fallout immediately. I can only imagine what has changed between versions that could cause it to crash, but I am happy to have it working nonetheless!

robgrab

Not sure why. It still works perfect for me with the latest .exe and .dll. I tried it again last night just to verify it still works. Did you edit the GeDoSaTo.ini file to allow the d3d9.dll?

wihio

Not sure why. It still works perfect for me with the latest .exe and .dll. I tried it again last night just to verify it still works. Did you edit the GeDoSaTo.ini file to allow the d3d9.dll?

you are right, I changed this line:

interceptOnlySystemDlls true

now it works great with the latest version. Thanks for the help!

Heinous Hat

Neo Member
Is it possible to get GeDoSaTo to do downsampling while an application is running windowed? edit -- Specifically, at a resolution lower than present desktop res.

I presume that it isn't, currently... but thought I may have missed some possibility in the settings aside from lowering the target resolution.

I like to run windowed under various scenarios when experimenting with image quality... typically it's to squeeze more performance out of a desired level of IQ. And of course, with some games it's just nice to have quick desktop access for reference materials and such (especially when modding).

Really happy to discover this project... thanks for the continuing hard work :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is it possible to get GeDoSaTo to do downsampling while an application is running windowed? edit -- Specifically, at a resolution lower than present desktop res.

I presume that it isn't, currently... but thought I may have missed some possibility in the settings aside from lowering the target resolution.

I like to run windowed under various scenarios when experimenting with image quality... typically it's to squeeze more performance out of a desired level of IQ. And of course, with some games it's just nice to have quick desktop access for reference materials and such (especially when modding).

Really happy to discover this project... thanks for the continuing hard work :)

Borderless fullscreen is just a window without a border. You can use "Force borderless fullscreen".

wihio

I figured it was something simple like that.

Thanks to your persistence in helping me, I have learned a bit more about how GeDoSaTo works. I love the ability to get deep into the .ini and adjust lots of parameters, but I admit I quickly gloss over the ones that don't just "leap out" at me. You have encouraged me to dig a little deeper and try to get a better handle on the ini.

Heinous Hat

Neo Member
Borderless fullscreen is just a window without a border. You can use "Force borderless fullscreen".

What I'm aiming for is a standard window (bordered or not... but preferably bordered so I can drag it around, minimize it, etc) running at a lower resolution than the Windows desktop (thus, smaller). For example, a 1440x900 window running on my 1920x1200 desktop.

However, I'd like to downsample that window's contents. Theoretically, you should be able to achieve higher IQ at lower performance cost, while sacrificing image size. I do this often when actual SSAA is available... but I'm not sure of GeDoSaTo's capability regarding windowed applications.

edit: I tried your suggestion in conjunction with SRWE. While I can manipulate the borderless window (resize, add borders etc), GeDoSaTo loses the downsample as soon as I resize. Currently working with Divinity OS, which has it's own option for borderless windowed mode. Using either that or GeDoSaTo's config option produce the same results.

One3rd

Tried this out with Condemned and after a couple of false starts with different hashes found that the first dump image with everything rendered, including the HUD, was the correct hash.

# Condemned: Criminal Origins

# Loads D3D dlls early - required for Condemned to see the resolution
loadD3DEarly true

#For HUD-less screenshots

#Just removes HUD
injectPSHash eecd76d9

#with Bloom enabled this removes bloom and film grain as well as the HUD.
#injectPSHash 0ccfd6dd

Durante

What I'm aiming for is a standard window (bordered or not... but preferably bordered so I can drag it around, minimize it, etc) running at a lower resolution than the Windows desktop (thus, smaller). For example, a 1440x900 window running on my 1920x1200 desktop.

However, I'd like to downsample that window's contents. Theoretically, you should be able to achieve higher IQ at lower performance cost, while sacrificing image size. I do this often when actual SSAA is available... but I'm not sure of GeDoSaTo's capability regarding windowed applications.
This doesn't currently work, but only bcause I didn't implement it. I'll try to get it done this weekend.

So Borderlands 2 only seems to work with alternate injection method and AA makes the Item stat windows transparent and Post Processing is putting a big black box around them.

One3rd

First time doing anything like this. How do I add a game profile to the project using pull requests? I've downloaded the Windows GitHub app, cloned the project to my local drive, added the game folder and whitelist...now how to I push those changes back up?

First time doing anything like this. How do I add a game profile to the project using pull requests? I've downloaded the Windows GitHub app, cloned the project to my local drive, added the game folder and whitelist...now how to I push those changes back up?
I don't use the Windows GitHub app but the "synchronize" button is what you seem to be looking for : http://arstechnica.com/information-...-for-windows-takes-the-pain-out-of-using-git/

EDIT : I think you need to fork GeDoSaTo repository beforehand if you didn't do so already. After that you're going to be able to clone locally your own fork. Now make your changes/additions and then Commit/Push (the "Synchronize" button does all that in one click on Winfows Github app apparently). Finally you should be able to create a new pull request from your own Github project page. I'm still learning Github as well.

Top Bottom