• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Irobot82

If the overlay comes up, that just means you have to select the downsampling resolution in game.

It does sound like it's specific to your PC, but unfortunately I don't really know the solution bud.

You sure? Cause I don't know that I can run ME2 at 8k @ 60fps....seems suspect.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I haven't tried yet, but what would happen in this scenario:

4500x6000 is the render resolition, 3840x2160 is the present resolution. Will it downsample to 1620x2160 with pillarboxing, or will it stretch out to 3840x2160?

I just did a test with the latest official release and it stretches to fill.

Did you set the in game resolution to 8k, or did you only set the GeDoSaTo resolution to 8k?

Irobot82

I just did a test with the latest official release and it stretches to fill.

Did you set the in game resolution to 8k, or did you only set the GeDoSaTo resolution to 8k?

renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

If the status comes up but says 'not downsampling', it means that gedosato is hooking correctly, but you haven't selected a downsampling resolution. If you have selected a resolution, it will show up in the status display as well.

It is selected in the ME2 Configurator and in game. Am I missing something else?

Parsnip

If the status comes up but says 'not downsampling', it means that gedosato is hooking correctly, but you haven't selected a downsampling resolution. If you have selected a resolution, it will show up in the status display as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

In game.

Are you setting the resolution, while inside to the game, to 7680x4320?

As in go into the games settings menu, and set the resolution to 7680x4320

Irobot82

Then you should be good as long as gedo is telling you it is downsampling

that's the thing. Geto says Not Downsampling. Everything else is active, it shows the SMAA and the durante post processing.

I have this in my whitelist

ME2Game || Mass Effect 2
MassEffect2 || Mass Effect 2
MassEffect2Config || Mass Effect 2 Configurator

just to cover all bases.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
that's the thing. Geto says Not Downsampling. Everything else is active, it shows the SMAA and the durante post processing.

I have this in my whitelist

ME2Game || Mass Effect 2
MassEffect2 || Mass Effect 2
MassEffect2Config || Mass Effect 2 Configurator

just to cover all bases.

can you take a screenshot of the resolution that Mass Effect 2 says it is running at?

desmax

I've been having some strange bug with Batman: Arkham City where the game just crashes when entering a building (And entering that building triggers a cutscene). Turning GeDoSaTo off fixes it.

Sometimes, along with the crash, it gives off this message:
ilcvytBkXbNUe.png

I've been having some strange bug with Batman: Arkham City where the game just crashes when entering a building (And entering that building triggers a cutscene). Turning GeDoSaTo off fixes it.

Sometimes, along with the crash, it gives off this message:

I had the same problem when entering the poison ivy section in arkham asylum.

Durante

That's an interesting issue. I wonder if it's really the locking call which causes the problem, since I don't really see how GeDoSaTo could cause that. Perhaps it's just the result of an earlier error.

I haven't tried yet, but what would happen in this scenario:

4500x6000 is the render resolition, 3840x2160 is the present resolution. Will it downsample to 1620x2160 with pillarboxing, or will it stretch out to 3840x2160?
I think it will stretch currently, but that's an easy fix (and on the list of feature requests).

BONKERS

Hey, now that you added fps display to the overlay, would it be possible to add an option to always show perfinfo overlay by default? I would love to ditch the ugly-ass fraps fps display that I've been using.

MSI Afterburner OSD.

Far more intuitive, you can selectively change the color, scale and position. And is far more inclusive of more important information rather than just the FPS.
(GPU Temp, CPU core temps, GPU usage, VRAM usage,Frametimes,CPU usage/etc)

Unwinder frequently updates it for MSI.

It's better than Fraps in just about every way possible.

Parsnip

MSI Afterburner OSD.

Far more intuitive, you can selectively change the color, scale and position. And is far more inclusive of more important information rather than just the FPS.
(GPU Temp, CPU core temps, GPU usage, VRAM usage,Frametimes,CPU usage/etc)

Unwinder frequently updates it for MSI.

It's better than Fraps in just about every way possible.
The thing is, I don't need all that.

Also, as someone who primarily plays on a couch without a keyboard next to me, turning that stuff on/off with keyboard shortcuts for screenshotting is kind of a pain in the ass.
With gedosato overlay I wouldn't have to bother with that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Also, as someone who primarily plays on a couch without a keyboard next to me, turning that stuff on/off with keyboard shortcuts for screenshotting is kind of a pain in the ass.

Do you have any Android devices?

If you do, you should absolutely check out Unified Remote. It is incredibly useful. Use your phone or tablet as a trackpad, full keyboard with function keys, volume, screen switching, restart computer, open task manager, everything. With the free version you get all the basic functionality, and honestly the free version is very powerful. The only reason I upgraded to the paid version is I wanted to support the dev for making such a damned good application, and I wanted to play around with seeing what one could do with custom remotes.

Here's the basic layout for the trackpad and keyboard. The trackpad keyboard is whatever your phones default keyboard is, and hides and appears with a button press so you basically get full screen trackpad the whole time. Also, there's an option to replace the two finger taps and such with visual buttons, so it's just clicking right click rather than two finger tap. (there's a dark theme too)

xfoBVxlvWjCqWqDUBOC9XVnMNdvqBJ_2PNW2XgJUYjcAjxne09BRUzodr5j0K_wN-Sk=h900-rw

Also, here's an example of a small section of the built in remotes. Any you don't use you can just hide from the list.
cwu0EuDv_q5Mbr-nXa8ZvKmyryoM-jUMC4koAltkwutXoBEoWC-7fPybYf_1EdMaRKk=h900-rw

I seriously can't recommend it enough. It's such a convenient tool to have whenever couch gaming with a PC, or just watching media or something on it.

Durante

gedobuttonsplug4.png

(This was easier than I expected, took just a bit over an hour. Now I know why so many games started supporting gamepads when the Xinput API was released, it might just be the least cumbersome and most straightforward API Microsoft has ever designed)

Goes from X0 to X3 by the way, so you can have a dedicated GeDoSaTo controller if you want :p

Spazznid

gedobuttonsplug4.png

(This was easier than I expected, took just a bit over an hour. Now I know why so many games started supporting gamepads when the Xinput API was released, it might just be the least cumbersome and most straightforward API Microsoft has ever designed)

Goes from X0 to X3 by the way, so you can have a dedicated GeDoSaTo controller if you want :p

That's actually awesome.

Parsnip

gedobuttonsplug4.png

Nice. Now I have a good use for the extra 360 controllers that are currently collecting dust anyway.
You don't need bluetooth. It can connect through your Wi-fi, but bluetooth is also an alternative option.
I don't have wifi on my desktop, but can it connect through my home network? As in, from phone to router to desktop?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nice. Now I have a good use for the extra 360 controllers that are currently collecting dust anyway.

I don't have wifi on my desktop, but can it connect through my home network? As in, from phone to router to desktop?

Yep. My desktop is connected through Ethernet and my phone is of course connected through Wi-Fi. They interact together perfectly.

BONKERS

Except it's entirely customizable. And you can even have it not showing at all and still take screenshots, OR the choice to take screenshots with the overlay enabled but not showing in screenshots.

All you need is to assign it to a key of some kind to take a shot.

If you have XPadder you can even set a combo of controller buttons to map to that hotkey, (While also not using any other function of XPadder)

BONKERS

Anywho, I can't recall if this is been discussed specifically before, but is it possible to use SweetFX at the same time?

There are a few specific features from that, that the PP in GeDoSaTo doesn't have that I'd like to be able to use.

Example:

Film Grain from Boulotaur2024's old injector that uses a texture. (Specifically i'd like to be able to use the FG texture I made potentially until Ceejay implements his own new method in future versions of SFX)

Border shader

Technicolor

DPX,etc.

Parsnip

...evangelism...
Why would I ever get another application, only to then turn most of its features off, when I already have the exact thing I need with GeDoSaTo fps meter and screenshotting.

That makes no sense.

Converting at least some of the SweetFX post processing to GeDoSaTo is pretty straightforward, I've done it on a few occasions just to test some stuff. Copy code over, change a few things and add it to the main pp chain, done.

I really love how the program further and further, thanks Durante and everyone! :) Just wondering, has anybody tried GeDoSaTo with Final Fantasy 14 or League of Legends yet? I don't want to try them since I fear possible anti-cheat measures so I totally understand others not wanting to try them for the same reason but maybe a brave soul already did :p

EDIT: Ah and Durante if I may add a feature request, would it be feasible to change GeDoSaTo so it only accepts key-commands if a injected application is active? I often chat when I game and while it's not a huge issue whenever I type some numbers on my numpad it obviously messes with my game settings when I restore the game afterwards.

Durante

I made a blog post about the new release model. It worked well so far, so I'd like to keep it up. I mention the only major drawback in my blog post, and it only affects me :p

I really love how the program further and further, thanks Durante and everyone! :) Just wondering, has anybody tried GeDoSaTo with Final Fantasy 14 or League of Legends yet? I don't want to try them since I fear possible anti-cheat measures so I totally understand others not wanting to try them for the same reason but maybe a brave soul already did :p
I don't have FF14, but I fixed a FF14 bug for someone else, so I'm pretty sure it works.

EDIT: Ah and Durante if I may add a feature request, would it be feasible to change GeDoSaTo so it only accepts key-commands if a injected application is active? I often chat when I game and while it's not a huge issue whenever I type some numbers on my numpad it obviously messes with my game settings when I restore the game afterwards.
Yes, you're right. This is actually slightly harder to do correctly than you might think - that's the only reason it's not in yet.

Vitor711

I just wanted to stop by and post that the default settings for DkS2 are incredible. Played it originally with the first release of GeDeSaTo, and having installed the latest version, it's crazy how much of a difference little changes can make. Glad got back into it for the DLC.

No man's wharf plays entirely different with the darkened image. Well done Durante, well done indeed.

I made a blog post about the new release model. It worked well so far, so I'd like to keep it up. I mention the only major drawback in my blog post, and it only affects me :p

I don't have FF14, but I fixed a FF14 bug for someone else, so I'm pretty sure it works.

Yes, you're right. This is actually slightly harder to do correctly than you might think - that's the only reason it's not in yet.

Good to hear Github works out! :) And ahh okay that's nice, I would really like to try FF14 as the game has no AA besides FXAA for AMD and especially in the forests it would need some.
I would need to have a FF14 subscription again first...

And hmm alright, I can imagine it's quite hard since from my limited understanding of things GeDoSaTo would need to track a applications state and whatnot. It's really not a big deal as said, I just have to remember to reenable stuff or train myself to stay off the Numpad when GeDoSaTo is running. If it's ever coming I would test the hell out of it since I type more than I play games at times :p

BONKERS

Why would I ever get another application, only to then turn most of its features off, when I already have the exact thing I need with GeDoSaTo fps meter and screenshotting.

That makes no sense.

Converting at least some of the SweetFX post processing to GeDoSaTo is pretty straightforward, I've done it on a few occasions just to test some stuff. Copy code over, change a few things and add it to the main pp chain, done.

You aren't always going to be using GeDoSaTo though right? Ex: DX11 games.

I thought from the wording you were simply looking for an alternative to Fraps.

But also: It wouldn't be considered turning those features off, since the entire basis of it existing is to be customizable. And there is more to the framerate than just the framerate itself.
(This is why a lot of major video card reviews go in depth about frame times these days)

By all means though, whatever works for you is fine.

Good to hear Github works out! :) And ahh okay that's nice, I would really like to try FF14 as the game has no AA besides FXAA for AMD and especially in the forests it would need some.
I would need to have a FF14 subscription again first...

And hmm alright, I can imagine it's quite hard since from my limited understanding of things GeDoSaTo would need to track a applications state and whatnot. It's really not a big deal as said, I just have to remember to reenable stuff or train myself to stay off the Numpad when GeDoSaTo is running. If it's ever coming I would test the hell out of it since I type more than I play games at times :p

Downsampling with FFXIV won't be a worthwhile endeavor. It makes the UI impossibly small and ugly looking with any kind of scaling even when the UI is set to 140%.

This is especially true if you are playing with a controller and a TV.

I asked the devs way back in early alpha/beta to please add in a GOOD AA solution like SMAA T2x/4x. Or TXAA.

But it fell upon deaf ears. FXAA is just a token solution which sucks with this game.

Even 1.0 had better AA in the form of MSAA and even built in SSAA (IIRC, it's been a long time).

And with the luminous engine they seem to be thinking that MSAA+FXAA is somehow an acceptable solution as well... ugh. (Maybe with SSAA added into the mix but by itself, no way)

I don't understand how to properly use the new version from GitHub. Do I just download the dll and exe from that page you linked on your site and drop them into my gedosato poltergeist folder? Because I did that and when I try and open it Windows (8.1) tells me it can't find the executable.

Durante

Ok, from the responses at my blog ("Where's the download button?") and here I've realized that this won't work as a "mainstream" distribution solution :p

Back to the drawing board.

Ok, from the responses at my blog ("Where's the download button?") and here I've realized that this won't work as a "mainstream" distribution solution :p

Did people not read the post to which they replied? lol

"Disable Anti-Aliasing" 2.0

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Could you just roll github stuff into a release every so often when you feel enough has been added and throw it on media fire?

Durante

Could you just roll github stuff into a release every so often when you feel enough has been added and throw it on media fire?
That's what I was doing. But too much manual, repetitive work. I hate manual repetitive work. That's why I like computers :p

I spent one hour making this:
updater82eek.png

Pulls updates directly from GitHub.

You are just on another level making this "tech" stuff work for everyone, still i think just an image pointing where the button is would have been enough. Anyway nice work as always Durante.

Can anyone clear things up for me on this?

The resolution under the renderWidth and renderHeight is what it's going to be rendering in game correct? So lets say I have

renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Fire up the game, resolution in game is 1920 x 1080 but it's downsampling from 7680 correct?

Parsnip

Can anyone clear things up for me on this?

The resolution under the renderWidth and renderHeight is what it's going to be rendering in game correct? So lets say I have

renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Fire up the game, resolution in game is 1920 x 1080 but it's downsampling from 7680 correct?
You need to select the render resolution from in-game, and then it will downsample to the present resolution.

Durante

Nice. How does it handle the main config and shortcutkey files? As in, does it make a backup of those files before it updates, so people don't lose their resolution settings etc?
It currently just overwrites them. Good point. I think I'll backup the entire config folder.

Can someone try this:
http://gedosato.metaclassofnil.com//GeDoSaToUpdater.exe

Before I release it for the masses?
(it backups config settings now)

It worked for me I only had version 9 and it updated to version 11. Although after updating the updater tries to launch GeDoSaTo and the message saying to run in administrator appears and after clicking "ok" this error message appears. Not that big of a problem because GeDoSaTo works fine after running in administrator.

Can someone try this:
http://gedosato.metaclassofnil.com//GeDoSaToUpdater.exe

Before I release it for the masses?
(it backups config settings now)

Worked for me, except it doesn't automatically run as administrator afterwards, so it produced an error. Once it was finished I just ran it as admin and it was all good.

Edit: Hah, takeHUDlessScreenshot is bound to clicking the right thumbstick in the latest version. Just took half a dozen accidental screenshots in Dark Souls 2 before I realised what was going on.

Echoplx

It worked for me I only had version 9 and it updated to version 11. Although after updating the updater tries to launch GeDoSaTo and the message saying to run in administrator appears and after clicking "ok" this error message appears. Not that big of a problem because GeDoSaTo works fine after running in administrator.

If you set GeDoSaTo to run as admin from the compatibility tab it should carry over to the new executable (it does for me at least)

Durante

Good to see that it works. I'll integrate a version check in GeDoSaToTool and even put up a static web page (wow!), probably today.

A neat side effect is that this 11kB executable can also be used as a installer. No more shitty manual zip downloads for anyone! (and uploads for me :p)

Top Bottom