• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geist delayed to 2005

Ristamar

Not surprising. Lots of room left for improvement, and even if it turns out to be stellar, it'd have been slaughtered in sales by the big names rolling out this year.

UFC PRIDE

Saw this. They may as well just rebuild the game bottom up because the graphics look like an N64 game. If this was being made by Acclaim or Midway, and was exactly the same but with no Nintendo name, no one would give a damn about it. But the Nintendo label is on it for this game - so it must be good! Not. Nintendo should not concern themselves with these POS developers.

The graphics aren't as bad as they looked at E3. N-Space was having problems with the monitors Nintendo was using. I really wish they wouldn't use those monitors either. Sure they make games designed for them look good (example: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4) but everything else ends up looking crappier.

With that said, the delay is probably a godo thing. More time only means more polish. Plus it'll keep it from getting swamped by Metroid Prime 2 and Halo 2.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The game itself is really rather fun... it's not the most graphically impressive game, but the concept and the levels I played were entertaining.

AirBrian

I was really looking forward to this game, but I'd much rather have it delayed for further work then have it released earlier with less polishing/finishing/whatever.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I still maintain that with a little more polish, this game could be incredibly fun. I'm actually very excited to play this game in its final form, and it's now one of my top 2005 titles to look forward to.

UFC PRIDE said:
Saw this. They may as well just rebuild the game bottom up because the graphics look like an N64 game. If this was being made by Acclaim or Midway, and was exactly the same but with no Nintendo name, no one would give a damn about it. But the Nintendo label is on it for this game - so it must be good! Not.
Yeah, why would anyone think that? It's not like Nintendo has the best track record of releasing consistently quality games than any other developer who has been around as long as they have! Oh, wait...

Brannon

This does not surprise me one bit; I knew the Geigen Geist Gruppe would force a delay. They hate all things Geist, you know :p

...now where the hell did I get that from?

BuddyC

UFC PRIDE said:
Saw this. They may as well just rebuild the game bottom up because the graphics look like an N64 game. If this was being made by Acclaim or Midway, and was exactly the same but with no Nintendo name, no one would give a damn about it. But the Nintendo label is on it for this game - so it must be good! Not. Nintendo should not concern themselves with these POS developers.

Yea, uh, no. Have you played it?

BuddyC

The possession angle is a cool concept, and it works really well in the game. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, with some neat powerups that add to craziness. I was doing 1 vs 1 with some guy who wasn't familar with the game at all. He eventually took over a body and began pursuing me. Well, his guy had a better weapon than mine, so I possessed a set of explosives lying near the wall. When he walked by - BOOM! The look on his face was great, "how'd you do that?"

Later on I found a powerup that allows you to force other spirits from an object. So I forced him out of the body he was currently in, which confused the hell out of him. It was really weird, because I had a lot of fun with only 2 players. I can't wait to do 4 players with my friends, and Geist will really fit the bill after we all get burned out on Halo 2 and Timesplitters 3.

Just because the graphics aren't the best doesn't mean the game isn't enjoyable or entertaining.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BuddyChrist83 said:
The possession angle is a cool concept, and it works really well in the game. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, with some neat powerups that add to craziness. I was doing 1 vs 1 with some guy who wasn't familar with the game at all. He eventually took over a body and began pursuing me. Well, his guy had a better weapon than mine, so I possessed a set of explosives lying near the wall. When he walked by - BOOM! The look on his face was great, "how'd you do that?"

Later on I found a powerup that allows you to force other spirits from an object. So I forced him out of the body he was currently in, which confused the hell out of him. It was really weird, because I had a lot of fun with only 2 players. I can't wait to do 4 players with my friends, and Geist will really fit the bill after we all get burned out on Halo 2 and Timesplitters 2.
Great impressions, Buddy C. I particularly like your last statement -- IMO, this is why we should ALL be excited about Geist. It's really trying to do something different with the FPS genre instead of just further refining things we've already seen, which is more than I can say for 99% of FPS games that I've played recently.

I don't really like FPS multiplayer, but four-player Geist was really different and interesting. I'm not saying I'll play it much, but the possession angle was fantastic - as soon as I hijacked somebody's body like BuddyChrist did, I knew this could be awesome.

Top Bottom