• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Generational "Swan Songs": games that come out at the end of a console's life time

As we now say farewell to the eighth generations of gaming for the ninth, let us remember some of the great games from past generations that were released at the end of their console life

It could be said that the Ghost of Tsushima is shaping up to be ps4's last great song.

what is some past swan song you remembered?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild

-Arcadia-

Banned
I liked Conker’s Bad Fur Day for N64.

Near impossible visuals for the N64, an amazing, hilarious final first party game, and it was even fully voice acted on a cartridge. It felt kind of like the technical culmination of the N64, and one last awesome platformer/adventure game to ride out on.

It was an especially nice touch that the last boss battle used the Mario 64 Bowser spin mechanics. Going out the same way we came in.

I feel similarly about Majora’s Mask and Perfect Dark. All those games considered, the console had a pretty fantastic goodbye in general.

I had this same thought today, that GoT would likely be a PS4 swan song.

Some other swansongs that I personally loved:
- Persona 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Patchwork Heroes, Persona 4 Ultimax, Last of Us, and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus on Playstation platforms.
- The Last Story, Sushi Strikers, Radiant Historia, and Terranigma on Nintendo platforms.

Can't think of many Xbox swan songs at the moment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PS1 - Final Fantasy IX
PS2 - Persona 4
PSP - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
PS3 - The Last of Us

SNES - Trials of Mana

NES: Batman return of the Joker
Batman_Return_of_the_Joker_(NES)_31.gif

Sega Master System--Aladdin
88872-Aladdin_(Europe)-5.jpg

Turbo-Grafx (Japan) -- Street Fighter II CE
ob_a90e3a_sfii.gif

Turbo CD -- Sapphire
23973.jpg

Sega Genesis -- Batman & robin
tumblr_n1y36oYrjI1rfy6zso1_1280.gif

Sega CD -- SoulStar
12-Soulstar-Sega-CD.gif

SNES -- Tales of Phantasia
8e0bca4c0752bfbb8aee9262b7165ed5.gif

3DO -- Need for Speed
OyQngE.gif

Sega Saturn -- Panzer Dragoon Saga
7SvKgEW.gif

PS1 -- Omega Boost
giphy.gif

N64 -- Super Mario 64 (it peaked really fast)
d16e5073ed65fe7ada193b235e9e66e4.gif

Sega Dreamcast -- RE: code Veronica
73d6ffa54de7a8c671b5828ed6636856.gif

PS2 -- God of War 2
PepperyPaleArabianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Xbox -- Doom 3
d3xc8rq6.gif

Game Cube -- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
tumblr_m0jh9r8zXi1rnmjr5o1_500.gif

Xbox 360 -- Halo 4 (Seriously, the 360 started to fade the day Kinect was released)
giphy.gif

PS3 -- The Last of Us
PS4_Longplay_007_The_Last_of_Us_Remastered_part_2_of_9.gif

There we are, at the dawn of a new generation already!

MadeManG74

Neo Member
I can think of a few from Sega Saturn especially, I think the console's obscurity in the west meant it was even more noticeable when the last few games came out.

Some obvious ones for that system; Azel/Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III Trilogy

QqXq4GB.jpg

DRXkGee.jpg

I also want to make mention of one of my all time favourite games, and one that I think is still incredibly special; Dreamcast Shenmue II
There's still features on the Dreamcast version like the VMU integration, passport and online features that aren't in any other version.
GnHPiVD.jpg

Pidull

Kirby's Adventure over a year after the SNES released in May 1993. Pretty incredible game at the time!

Basically everything that came out on the Dreamcast was a swan sing considering it was practically DOA.

Susurrus

I played BotW on Wii U first, I really wish they had kept the functionality of the gamepad because you can tell it'd only improve the game.

Seconded. Most games I used the pro controller since the tablet controller was usually just a permanent second screen or something equally as dumb, it went heavily underutilized. Zelda: WW HD I used the tablet controller because it did such an amazing job of utilizing it, really integrated itself without feeling forced. (I didn't play TP on the Wii U, but I'm assuming it probably did, too.)

When I got BotW, I was expecting the same thing, but nope, just got that annoying message on how to use second screen the entire time. All because Nintendo didn't want to make the Wii U version better than the Switch version. The worst part about it, is that message would light up and was really annoying, like you couldn't make it go away, which would further encourage me to use my pro controller, but this was annoying, too. Since the pro controller didn't have tilt support on the Wii U, I'd have to change to the tablet controller every time I went into a dungeon that used the tilt support. Really aggravating experience.

I played BotW on Wii U first, I really wish they had kept the functionality of the gamepad because you can tell it'd only improve the game.

Yeah, it's a shame that Nintendo had an opportunity to really enhance the game but gimped it on purpose in order not make the Switch version seem like a downgrade.

Loyal Wii U owners deserved better. (all 37 of us)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
NES: Batman return of the Joker
Batman_Return_of_the_Joker_(NES)_31.gif

Sega Master System--Aladdin
88872-Aladdin_(Europe)-5.jpg

Turbo-Grafx (Japan) -- Street Fighter II CE
ob_a90e3a_sfii.gif

Turbo CD -- Sapphire
23973.jpg

Sega Genesis -- Batman & robin
tumblr_n1y36oYrjI1rfy6zso1_1280.gif

Sega CD -- SoulStar
12-Soulstar-Sega-CD.gif

SNES -- Tales of Phantasia
8e0bca4c0752bfbb8aee9262b7165ed5.gif

3DO -- Need for Speed
OyQngE.gif

Sega Saturn -- Panzer Dragoon Saga
7SvKgEW.gif

PS1 -- Omega Boost
giphy.gif

N64 -- Super Mario 64 (it peaked really fast)
d16e5073ed65fe7ada193b235e9e66e4.gif

Sega Dreamcast -- RE: code Veronica
73d6ffa54de7a8c671b5828ed6636856.gif

PS2 -- God of War 2
PepperyPaleArabianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Xbox -- Doom 3
d3xc8rq6.gif

Game Cube -- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
tumblr_m0jh9r8zXi1rnmjr5o1_500.gif

Xbox 360 -- Halo 4 (Seriously, the 360 started to fade the day Kinect was released)
giphy.gif

PS3 -- The Last of Us
PS4_Longplay_007_The_Last_of_Us_Remastered_part_2_of_9.gif

There we are, at the dawn of a new generation already!

Mario 64 and Need for Speed? I'm not sure you're doing this right.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, it's a shame that Nintendo had an opportunity to really enhance the game but gimped it on purpose in order not make the Switch version seem like a downgrade.

Loyal Wii U owners deserved better. (all 37 of us)

Yup. Not just enhance either. The game was clearly designed AROUND the Wii U gamepad and Shiekah slate, but Nintendo gutted the functionality in order to keep the Switch appearing inferior.

Mario 64 and Need for Speed? I'm not sure you're doing this right.
Well, the N64 had nothing really different as far as I am concerned... it's all a blurry mess, so bright colors win. This was also kind of tongue in cheek, but I stand by my other choices in the list I made (obviously yours can differ).

and NFS on the 3DO was a game changer back then--I recall renting the machine and spending a couple of days playing mostly this game, FIFA was great on it as well, as were Samurai Shodown and Total Eclipse--plus NFS was released at the tail end of the machine's life, it started a gaming IP that lasts to this day.

Vawn

Banned
and NFS on the 3DO was a game changer back then

Oh, I know. I LOVED Need for Speed on 3D0. It's my most played driving game ever, bu far. But I don't remember it being late 3D0. I feel like I had that and Road Rash most of the 3D0's lifetime.

Oh, I know. I LOVED Need for Speed on 3D0. It's my most played driving game ever, bu far. But I don't remember it being late 3D0. I feel like I had that and Road Rash most of the 3D0's lifetime.
I don't know for sure, but Wikipedia says its release date was in august 1994, I'm not sure that counts as late enough tho.

cireza

Many great games listed, even though some aren't really among the last ones the consoles received.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a 97 game, it did release in 98 in the West, so a swan song in the West then. But otherwise, for Saturn, I would pick stuff from 98 or even 99, like Radiant Silvergun or Street Fighter Zero 3. Shining Force III scenario 3 as well.

For Dreamcast, Ikaruga is a good pick.

For Wii U it is nice seeing BotW, however I can't forgive Nintendo for taking out the Gamepad functionalities, would have made the game much better in my opinion.

You have Catherine Full Body on Vita.

On Sega-CD, Lunar Eternal Blue and Snatcher were released in 95, which is pretty much the last year for the add-on in the West. There is also Shadowrun in 96 in Japan, as well as a pretty nice collection of both Ecco games.

On MegaDrive, The Lost World is a very late game, and pretty good one.

Last edited:

Verchod

Not sure how late we can consider, but Splinter cell Chaos Theory came out early 2005, so about 8 months before the Gen ended. And it came out on loads of platforms, but it's definitely a classic that's aged well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Here are some games that came out on PS1 in 2000, the same year the PS2 came out:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy IX
Dino Crisis 2
Strider 2
Spyro 3
Tomb Raider Chronicles

Gaming was just better back then.

SpartanN92

Banned
Halo 4
I will defend this one to the grave. Poor art style decisions aside the single player was great and the multiplayer was fixed eventually.

In retrospect XII is probably my favorite one. I haven't even played XV. I lost interest in it after waiting so long and not really liking the emo vibe I got from it, but I did recently buy the royal edition on sale as I've been in the mood to play more FF after VIIR.

I really want another FF set in Ivalice. A new proper (console) release is near the top of my wish list.

Pidull

Halo 4
I will defend this one to the grave. Poor art style decisions aside the single player was great and the multiplayer was fixed eventually.
I really enjoyed the single player campaign but haven't enjoyed multiplayer since 3. I thought it looked gorgeous and fighting the Covenant was a blast.

Unfortunately, the Prometheans just didn't work as an enemy. Whereas the Covenant were anthropomorphized intelligently, Prometheans felt more like robot drones.

Dane

(notice, i'm putting what's considered from its final year of quality support).

PS1 - Driver 2, Dino Crisis 2, Syphon Filter 3, Tony Hawk 3, Fear Effect 2, Dragon Warrior/Quest VII

64 - Conker's Bad Fur Day and Tony Hawk 3.

PS2 - Persona 3 FES, Persona 4 and Raidou Kuzunoha 2 (yeah basically Atlus did the console's swan song).

Xbox - Tomb Raider: Legend, Scarface, Getting Up, Hitman: Blood Money, Black, Call of Duty 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Need For Speed: Carbon and Lego Star Wars 2

Gamecube - Zelda: Twilight Princess, Tomb Raider: Legend, NFS Carbon and Lego Star Wars 2.

PS3 - Far Cry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Resident Evil Revelations 2 and Persona 5.

Xbox 360 - Far Cry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Resident Evil Revelations and Rise of The Tomb Raider

I think people already know, but both 64 and Gamecube were nearly dead regarding great third party support in 01 and 06, even before the launch of their successors.

Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii)
Persona 5 (PS3)
Shantae (GBC)
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA)
Kirby Mass Attack (NDS)
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love (PS2)
Summon Night 5 (PSP)
Pokemon Crystal (GBC)

Enjoyed/Enjoying all of these really.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member