• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

BlackM1st

Banned
Isn't Baal just an expie of the same character from Honkai?
Nah man. You're mistaken. You are talking about Raiden Mei. Genshin has Raiden Ei. Totally m-different...

Mr Mackey Mmkay GIF by South Park

James Franco GIF

Pejo

Gold Member
Isn't Baal just an expie of the same character from Honkai? Probably why they are getting special attention. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They technically have been using the same character designs for 3-4 games now. There's always a Kiana (Unknown God/Asmoday), a Mei (Raiden Shogun), a Himeko (Diluc kinda, but probably Murata the Pyro archon too), Sakura (Yae), Fu Hua (not really one in this game yet, but I'm willing to bet that there will be when they introduce fist weapons). These characters have very little to do with their Honkai or GGZ (the prequel to Honkai) counterparts. Their personalities aren't the same at all, and outside of basic design direction, there's no overlap. I was sure for Yae that we would see a real Honkai to Genshin crossover character, but they're nothing alike. Yae in Genshin is actually an interesting character.

YukiOnna

They technically have been using the same character designs for 3-4 games now. There's always a Kiana (Unknown God/Asmoday), a Mei (Raiden Shogun), a Himeko (Diluc kinda, but probably Murata the Pyro archon too), Sakura (Yae), Fu Hua (not really one in this game yet, but I'm willing to bet that there will be when they introduce fist weapons). These characters have very little to do with their Honkai or GGZ (the prequel to Honkai) counterparts. Their personalities aren't the same at all, and outside of basic design direction, there's no overlap. I was sure for Yae that we would see a real Honkai to Genshin crossover character, but they're nothing alike. Yae in Genshin is actually an interesting character.
I just hope the Kazuha = Fu Hua thing isn't true and they actually add her.

YukiOnna

Need to see her true fox form. Have no idea how, but that would be epic...

B8wELT6.png

not like this GIF
You see Makoto holding her under the Sakura tree scene in Ei's 2D cutscene. Of course she was much younger back then, but hopefully we see it directly in her Character Story

Yeah people say its genderbend version and I cri

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
You see Makoto holding her under the Sakura tree scene in Ei's 2D cutscene. Of course she was much younger back then, but hopefully we see it directly in her Character Story[/ispoler]

Yeah people say its genderbend version and I cri
I hope for some fresh and interesting hero designs.

Maybe MiHo will surprise us like they did with EULA.

Because so far I see nothing worthwhile on the horizon except for Yae.

Not like I'm complaining, my resources are basically exhausted right now hah

I wonder what will await us in Chasm. I can't imagine us just skipping it and moving into another new region. So we can be stuck in Inazuma for quiet some time before dendro is ready.

Or maybe MiHo will say F it and release the Chasm without dendro lol But I doubt it.

YukiOnna

I hope for some fresh and interesting hero designs.

Maybe MiHo will surprise us like they did with EULA.

Because so far I see nothing worthwhile on the horizon except for Yae.

Not like I'm complaining, my resources are basically exhausted right now hah

I wonder what will await us in Chasm. I can't imagine us just skipping it and moving into another new region. So we can be stuck in Inazuma for quiet some time before dendro is ready.

Or maybe MiHo will say F it and release the Chasm without dendro lol But I doubt it.
So far Raiden and Yae are the only interesting ones for me, yeah. Keq and Ganyu were the ones from Liyue and Eula from Mond. I was hoping we'd get full bodied armor types, but guess not. Oh well, still lots of time for other interesting designs.

I don't mind staying in Inazuma for longer. It's still the only region I was looking forward to and the content cycle for 2 patches has been good. Tsurumi Island, Enkanomiya and whatever else makes it so there's always something to look forward to. I'm curious how they'll make an underground mine like Chasm visually interesting, but hopefully it's fun to explore like Inazuma.

Pejo

Gold Member
Need to see her true fox form. Have no idea how, but that would be epic...

B8wELT6.png
This is only like 1/10th of her designs. Mostly it's grey hair and sometimes glasses. Also, in Honkai, Fu Hua is CN's baby, because she's an ancient Chinese god or something. I don't find her interesting so I don't really follow her story much. I don't think that Kaz is this game's Hua, despite having similar hair for this version.

Out of the old leaked characters, we still have: Yunjin, the Liyue Geo bow girl that got held back with Chasm (hopefully not sacrificed for Furry boi), Yaoyao/Baizhu (Dendro lol), Shenlhi (most likely trashcanned and her kit given to Eula), The Criss Angel looking mofo, and Kate. Kate was rumored to be a placeholder for Electro MC, so she's probably nothing too.

I'd actually be impressed and happy if they kept the lid on one of the new characters for once. They should take a page from Granblue and have a generic dummy character that they use in the betas that has the kit of the new playable character with no SFX, and without any of the design leaked. That way, players can try them out and beta test the kit without spoiling who it is.

Something like this:
iu

BlackM1st

Banned
They should take a page from Granblue and have a generic dummy character that they use in the betas
God, no.

If it would be like that I would've probably pulled C0 Baal and kept on waiting for something great like a Kitsune Demon only to be greeted by Furry boi and a pedophile with a talking snake. No thanks. Give me leaks so I can plan my pulls in advance.

Pejo

Gold Member
God, no.

If it would be like that I would've probably pulled C0 Baal and kept on waiting for something great like a Kitsune Demon only to be greeted by Furry boi and a pedophile with a talking snake. No thanks. Give me leaks so I can plan my pulls in advance.
You have a point, but I'd rather that beta testers focus on the characters kit instead of whichever waifu/husbando bullshit is hot that month. That way maybe we actually get some higher quality feedback and MHY actually fixes the characters before they go live and disappoint everybody.

So after jumping through a handful of strangers' worlds, got myself the Catch and the Liyue rod. Wasn't that much of a grind really, but a respawn timer of 3 days is a little rough if you're just fishing your own world. I hope they add more stuff to the fish shops. They're kinda bare currently, and after you get the rods, there's no point in even fishing with your newly acquired rod.

Pejo

Gold Member
Squad goals:
SsVt97k.png

EDIT:

Not bad, I'm up for a fishing event. Maybe it's the old MMO addict in me, but I love little side content like that. Stuff to just unwind with after you slaughter enemies for a few hours.

Speaking of, holy shit everything uses those samurai handguards. I can never have enough. I had to farm them for 2 hours tonight just to get enough for Shogun's final ascension. Got her to 81 and ran out of xp books again. At least I can take a break from the thunder boss for a while.

YukiOnna

Not bad, I'm up for a fishing event. Maybe it's the old MMO addict in me, but I love little side content like that. Stuff to just unwind with after you slaughter enemies for a few hours.

Speaking of, holy shit everything uses those samurai handguards. I can never have enough. I had to farm them for 2 hours tonight just to get enough for Shogun's final ascension. Got her to 81 and ran out of xp books again. At least I can take a break from the thunder boss for a while.
Same. I'm taking up fishing in FFXIV next time I resub, too because it's apparently more fun than mining. Anything that breaks up the core gameplay is a good inclusion and part of the adventure roleplay.

Yeah I ran out so fast just ascending her, lol. Storm Bead farming is slow, but at least guaranteed.

Pejo

Gold Member
In classic "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME" fashion, one of the more reliable genshin leakers (this title still makes me laugh), Sukuna, posted these random leaks this morning. He's supposedly retiring from leaking. I'd imagine that to look like
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Most are probably fake and just used to get "oh no don't leave us" reactions since he's a narcissist. I'm guessing that a few are legit though.

p8cuJJz.jpg

BlackM1st

Banned
In classic "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME" fashion, one of the more reliable genshin leakers (this title still makes me laugh), Sukuna, posted these random leaks this morning. He's supposedly retiring from leaking. I'd imagine that to look like

Most are probably fake and just used to get "oh no don't leave us" reactions since he's a narcissist. I'm guessing that a few are legit though.

p8cuJJz.jpg
All looks good. Maybe too good. Water Claymore looks like the most interesting one out of batch. But also the most SUS one. Another water and another stance switch? Same goes for Yae Cocogoat comparison with free charged attacks and double Element wielding.

Fake

p8cuJJz.jpg

'Lets fix what don't need fix and ignore the fix'.

Well, the hydro claymore call my attention.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I do a Klee dance everytime a leaker gets scared and leaves.
Well MHY recently sued Bilibili (CN Youtube) to get all of the contact information for the leaker channels. I'm assuming that scared a LOT of of the CN leakers, so yea, I think leaks will now be controlled by MHY with the occasional crazy ass doing legit leaks. They've seen how effective it is at marketing though, so you can be sure that we'll still get """""leaks"""""" (corporate sponsored).

YukiOnna

Well MHY recently sued Bilibili (CN Youtube) to get all of the contact information for the leaker channels. I'm assuming that scared a LOT of of the CN leakers, so yea, I think leaks will now be controlled by MHY with the occasional crazy ass doing legit leaks. They've seen how effective it is at marketing though, so you can be sure that we'll still get """""leaks"""""" (corporate sponsored).
Soon we'll have on-call paid leakers by MHY. Brilliant.

Pejo

Gold Member
Funny how we were just talking about Fu Hua yesterday.

New character in Genshin in the background of some festival art.

0v2pfrrvrhm71.jpg

Bonus: Yunjin isn't dead.
2xko4Sn.jpg

Pejo

Gold Member
Is the Hydro Claymore? If so, gonna save right now.
Nah, Hydro claymore rumor is Ayato, Ayaka's brother.

*edit*

I should specify about the leaks above, (from Sukuna), he even said that half of them are made up and some of them may be real, so don't get too held up on which are true or not, just something to speculate about.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
You say that now, but they won't let a Fu Hua character be mechanically bad. The whole country simps for her for some reason.
GI doesn't require you to have all the best heroes. Even my C3 Baal is an absolute overkill and a waste of 300 wishes. I did it just for fun, not out of need for a strong character that's required to beat the content.

Many gacha games releasing new content ridiculously hard to make you pull for more and more powerful heroes they're conveniently releasing alongside it.

GI is casuals and F2P friendly in that regard, so I can safely wait and see for something really good both mechanically and aesthetically wise.

I skipped all banners from Cocogoat till Geo Lord's rerun, so I can wait if I want to. I'm in no rush. Especially now haha

Speaking of banners, let's recap, since it's an anniversary time:

Sp5oGht.png

8uPxt4S.png

rAs1u4P.jpg

2wrFBwP.jpg

8iI5VYO.jpg

vt5ExVP.jpg

imIVG9A.jpg

ZpQxiQo.jpg

jXT6afc.jpg

AIePyMK.jpg

16gi8W8.jpg

5NmlaAQ.jpg

qx13lbz.jpg

DUiIkO3.jpg

KpZbFCo.png

Xc77SDz.jpg

Hm5ulwp.jpg

Rhw3PnK.jpg

Pejo

Gold Member
I wonder if they'll do a "year in review" feature. A lot of other gachas do it during their anniversaries, and Honkai did one this last time. I like seeing various stats of who I used, who other people used, most/least popular weapons etc.

*edit*

Anyone else pissed off that they added that extra red "!" over the character shortcut for anybody that has Bennett C6 but doesn't want to unlock it? I already was annoyed by the icon in the top corner, but now I have to see it every time I open the shortcut menu.

Also, these spirit enemies suck asshole.

nx1f7y5ucim71.png

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Teetered on whether I should post this or not, but here's the full EN cutscene for a new God. Big spoilers for the upcoming event I guess.

deanote666

Gold Member
I told myself I wouldn't pull on the weapon banner again...

Did a yolo 10 pull and got a Jade spear the first 10 pull. Got the unforged on soft pity. Then got the thunder spear on the 2nd 10 pull.

Now is it worth it to get Baal to C1? Still not 100% sure on the best way to use her burst...

BlackM1st

Banned
I told myself I wouldn't pull on the weapon banner again...

Did a yolo 10 pull and got a Jade spear the first 10 pull. Got the unforged on soft pity. Then got the thunder spear on the 2nd 10 pull.

Now is it worth it to get Baal to C1? Still not 100% sure on the best way to use her burst...
Yeah, it's totally worth it if you can afford it and has no interest in the upcoming heroes.

Her Burst? Give her as much er as possible an use it only when it's fully charged. Pretty straightforward.

Pejo

Gold Member
Interesting bits on that Fu Hua lookalike I mentioned earlier....

• Her name is Yelan
  • She is a member (leader?) of the Guhua clan (waterboi's clan of martial artists)
  • Guhua.... Gu Hua..... Fu Hua
  • Speculation that she's the originator of the arts itself
  • Master of both polearm and sword (stance switching?)
  • Shown in the video at the same time as Xiao...Good chance she's adeptus
  • Possibly even a minor god.

Last edited:

Saber

Interesting bits on that Fu Hua lookalike I mentioned earlier....

• Her name is Yelan
  • She is a member (leader?) of the Guhua clan (waterboi's clan of martial artists)
  • Guhua.... Gu Hua..... Fu Hua
  • Speculation that she's the originator of the arts itself
  • Master of both polearm and sword (stance switching?)
  • Shown in the video at the same time as Xiao...Good chance she's adeptus
  • Possibly even a minor god.

I'm actually in a mid feeling between one of those leaks about Dendro.
They said a new Dendro gonna take part of the game before the already 2 existing ones. While a part of me says like "nah", the other thinks this could be a very possibility when we take in consideration new characters appeared before the existing ones.

Who knows...tbh I rather prefer knowing their weapons first.

Pejo

Gold Member
Good little read if you're interested about Seirai Island.

Man the world lore team from Genshin deserves a raise. I think it's also neat that like Dark Souls, the story of the world is entirely told through environmental means and item descriptions and stuff. I wish they would let the lore team design an active quest. It's a shame that most players won't think anything of most of this stuff or even read the descriptions of anything. I bet most players didn't even think "I wonder how these seals were broken to begin with" during the Seirai quests.

Bonus points for circling back to the archipelago lore. Explains how the automaton got there and wraps up that story nice and neatly.

YukiOnna

Man the world lore team from Genshin deserves a raise. I think it's also neat that like Dark Souls, the story of the world is entirely told through environmental means and item descriptions and stuff. I wish they would let the lore team design an active quest. It's a shame that most players won't think anything of most of this stuff or even read the descriptions of anything. I bet most players didn't even think "I wonder how these seals were broken to begin with" during the Seirai quests.

Bonus points for circling back to the archipelago lore. Explains how the automaton got there and wraps up that story nice and neatly.
They definitely took the FROM Software approach to this where you should be paying attention to the environment and item descriptions you have. One of the things that keep me going for Artifact Farming are reading descriptions of any new ones because who knows what story it tells or connects to. It's also cool that items like the Hakushin Ring or Shimenawa set connect to many different tales across the region and expand characters like Kitsune Saiguu, or even shedding new light on the Maguu Kenki.

The mystery of the feather on Amakumo Peak still remains unless I missed it.

Pejo

Gold Member
They definitely took the FROM Software approach to this where you should be paying attention to the environment and item descriptions you have. One of the things that keep me going for Artifact Farming are reading descriptions of any new ones because who knows what story it tells or connects to. It's also cool that items like the Hakushin Ring or Shimenawa set connect to many different tales across the region and expand characters like Kitsune Saiguu, or even shedding new light on the Maguu Kenki.

The mystery of the feather on Amakumo Peak still remains unless I missed it.
I'm assuming with how we got the feather, there is going to be a more active story about it. But yea, there are a ton of things I still have questions about. I'm generally not into time travel in fiction because it's usually done as a macguffin or because shit writers wrote themselves into a corner (*cough* Marvel *cough*), but I would really enjoy a window into the past of some of the major genshin world events. Hell, even one of MHY's anime studio's shorts about the archon war would be amazing. Seeing the archons in full power shaping the land and fucking up giant dragons and stuff.

YukiOnna

I'm assuming with how we got the feather, there is going to be a more active story about it. But yea, there are a ton of things I still have questions about. I'm generally not into time travel in fiction because it's usually done as a macguffin or because shit writers wrote themselves into a corner (*cough* Marvel *cough*), but I would really enjoy a window into the past of some of the major genshin world events. Hell, even one of MHY's anime studio's shorts about the archon war would be amazing. Seeing the archons in full power shaping the land and fucking up giant dragons and stuff.
I mentioned it before, but I hope once the Teyvat Arc is over or maybe midway we get new Archon Quests in older regions that cover past events in full. Mondstadt and Liyue are one thing, but with Inazuma they introduced so many settings that can be explored and Sumeru onwards is likely going to be the same, would be a nice way to rectify the short Act format and explore everything. MHY Anime works, too, I know they asked about that in a survey once for me.

BlackM1st

Banned
I dunno guys, it all reminds me the Destiny debacle, I'd rather see some images / experience it I game instead of reading walls of text. Unlike in Souls games, GI world isn't dead, so we have plenty of opportunities for the proper storytelling.

Written lore is ignored by 99% of people. I doubt that many people knows Signora story and her motives. Shame. But again, if it's not in game it doesn't exist for the vast majority of people.

Speaking of images, looks like GI manga is totally ignored by the playerbase too lol

Here's nice manga pages with new heroes and Amber:

qm7mxvA.jpg
JyDTa5Z.jpg

Top Bottom