• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

BlackM1st

Banned
I just saw this infographic on reddit, helpful for breaking down what makes up the majority of a character build. I disagree that you should prioritize a +20 artifact set, but I'm one of those people that hate wasting time/effort on stuff that will be replaced, so I've left those for last. Based on his data, I'd say character level (relative to your world level) and Weapons are the 2 first targets. Anyways, here's the graphic:

dwg92wsj2he61.png
Yeah, my Klee carries me through the levels. I'm not wasting my time and resin on useless artifacts. WL6 will be when I start farming them. Before that I have plenty of things to do.

Fake

Max a lvl 5 artifact is just for luck like the rest of the entire game.

And this lvl 5 max artifact will give his replace a proper exp.

Fuz

Banned
Didn't someone made some math and proved that artifacts are best kept at +16, due to the unfavorable ratio between power and resources?

x@3f*oo_e!

Didn't someone made some math and proved that artifacts are best kept at +16, due to the unfavorable ratio between power and resources?
This is new to me (how can bigger numbers not be better?)

But - if the primary stat is ok it might be better to try to level all artifacts to 8 (maybe 12) even if the starting secondaries are trash and see what the extra stats give .. until you get a perfect, instead of pushing a nearly perfect all the way to 12/16/20 [edit - but if you're aiming for perfect sub-stats then 3/4 won't be good enough] (I've not seen the exp numbers anywhere - but it gets harder with lvl)

Experience from upgraded artifacts is ~75% of what got put in I think.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Honkai: wrath of "Baal" (Raiden Mei)
jfjhb5h.jpg
Raiden shogun about to be a bad bitch
Yeah, she's cool. Definitely gonna pull for her.

Unfortunately Honkai is nowhere near GI quality wise. Even EVA collab can't make me play it hah. Honkai feels so outdated compared to GI.

Just shows how important GI for mobile gaming industry. Game feels like a proper AA jrpg without any "mobile" feel to it.

Makes me kinda sad that Honkai gets so many new content/promos and GI got just 1 sword on Playstation xD

Same with arknights. Terrible in game art style (what a fugly chibi style) but game gets lots of attention and support.

For some reason MiHo doesn't make any cross promos with GI. Makes me sad , because GI really deserves it. Maybe stupid voice acting makes new content hard to produce. Although we also get text descriptions of off screen actions instead seeing them ON screen, so maybe there's something else to it. Like I said, maybe we have another Destiny engine situation...

Aenima

Artifacts, outside of the random stats they get. Are the safest investment. They can be swaped between any characters so if you drop a character to another one, you can still use the artifacts on the new character.

Talents, Char level are all attacked to the character, if you stop using it, all the resorses u spend on them are for nothing. Weapons are a good investment as well but its too hard to get 5star weapons, and much easier to farm 5 star artifacts.

Also if u end up with a crappy stats roll on one artifact by the time u reach the artifact level 20, you can feed that artifact to a new one, you will level up the new artifact to around level 15-18, or if you lucky in getting multiplier, you level up the new one to level 20 just by feeding it ur old useless artifact.

If you cant farm level 5 artifacts, dont waste ur resin in farming artifacts. Exp books and gold are more important untill ur able to farm 5 star artifacts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Honkai is nowhere near GI quality wise. Even EVA collab can't make me play it hah. Honkai feels so outdated compared to GI.
Quality how?
Honkai was made with primarily mobile in mind, it took them 3 years to make a real pc port for it.
Genshin with primarily mid-high end mobile and console/pc, so the overall look is higher fidelity.

But honkai completely crushes genshin when it comes to combat and animations

There's nothing like this in Genshin.

And for even better combat, honkai has a game with in a game called post-honkai and it's pretty much DMC 4.5:

The combat in this mode completely dunks on Genshin and actually makes it feel "outdated", but it makes sense cause it lowers the skill floor so it reaches more people.

BlackM1st

Banned
Quality how?
Honkai was made with primarily mobile in mind, it took them 3 years to make a real pc port for it.
Genshin with primarily mid-high end mobile and console/pc, so the overall look is higher fidelity.

And for even better combat, honkai has a game with in a game called post-honkai and it's pretty much DMC 4.5:

The combat in this mode completely dunks on Genshin and actually makes it feel "outdated", but it makes sense cause it lowers the skill floor so it reaches more people.

Still feels off to me.

Goddamn, my phone is acting up. Can't type properly.

Last edited:
Still feels off to me.
Sounds like you're looking for higher polycounts and effects.
Genshin was made much later and with higher end systems in mind, Honkai still needs to run on all those old ass phones from 4 years ago (though post-honkai requirements are a bit higher).

x@3f*oo_e!

I think Genshin has more animation frames per "animation", but it's a way slower paced game too. And the transitions between different animations and stances are much more detailed in genshin, where in Honkai it just "flips".

I can't really fault Honkai's individual animations though.. I also need to play Honkai on PC (or console MiHoYo?) at somepoint, and I'm comparing Genshin (PS4) to Honkai (Android).

Would love to see more combat depth in Genshin though.

BlackM1st

Banned
Quality how?
I dunno man, Honkai to me is just another uninspiring mobile game:
Honkai was made with primarily mobile in mind,
And it shows. I appreciate GI because it shows that mobile gaming can be something more than that.

honkai completely crushes genshin when it comes to combat and animations
Can't say that I agree. Dragon fight in GI looks more impressive to me.

As for combat system, I really didn't liked Honkai's reliance on parries. I'm not very good with rhythm games and proper timings. That's why I enjoyed Beidou. She gives you Souls like feel, but doesn't require precise timing and positioning.
GI combat is slower but looks deeper to me.

Post Honkai looks like Xiao on speeds. Lots and lots of speeds. And I'm not pulling for Xiao ;D

Pejo

Quality how?

Honkai is definitely more flashy, but saying it "crushes" genshin in combat is a little dishonest. It only runs on 2 axes, because in the main game you cannot jump and the stages have no verticality for combat portions. The movesets are highly static for each character with Fu Hua being the exception. Also, the animations truly are a spectacle, but 90% of the time in a hectic fight you can't see a damn thing that's going on because of all the effects are happening at once and overlapping, particularly in multiplayer. It's just "mash attack for a while then mash dodge and hope you get lucky". Genshin, while not nearly as flashy is a lot more controllable and deliberate, and the character swapping is a lot more interesting than Honkai's system of "wait for the flashing yellow circle and tap the button".

Both games bring enough differences to the table that I still play them both, but I feel that Genshin is the more refined game, and it was obviously built for wider appeal. I do hope they eventually bring some things over from Honkai though, but Genshin is still a baby as far as gacha games go.

YukiOnna

I found Honkai far more simplistic/straight forward in its combat (the stage design didn't really help) and it became more of mashing a lot of the same buttons than putting any extra thought into it. Not that I don't enjoy Honkai since it's a spectacle, but Genshin definitely brings a lot more options to the table even in regular mob fights. Though they aren't really comparable given the genre and type of game?

BlackM1st

Banned
but Genshin is still a baby as far as gacha games go
I have high hopes on post Inazuma content. I'm pretty sure they started work on Inazuma a long time ago, before release and before all the success/money. I wonder what they will do to keep people playing with all that money they're making now.

I think Genshin has more animation frames per "animation", but it's a way slower paced game too. And the transitions between different animations and stances are much more detailed in genshin, where in Honkai it just "flips".
Not really, like you said genshin is much slower as well, it's how like some animations in something like SF5 aren't truly appreciated until you slow it down a ton.
There's no doubt going to be some animation compression in honkai cause of the mobile focus, but it definitely doesn't just "flip":

Post Honkai looks like Xiao on speeds. Lots and lots of speeds.
Nah it's literally just DMC 4 with a tag team mechanic.
Honkai is definitely more flashy, but saying it "crushes" genshin in combat is a little dishonest. It only runs on 2 axes, because in the main game you cannot jump and the stages have no verticality for combat portions
I don't understand how it's dishonest, it's not like jumping in genshin does anything unless you happen to be high enough; you can't attack with a jump otherwise.
Genshin's combat is pretty much taking crimson impulse from 4 years ago, slowing it down, taking away the "witch time" and adding a jump button that isn't used 90% of the time.
The movesets are highly static for each character
And they aren't in genshin? You got one basic attack string, a charge attack, a skill and a burst. Honkai has all of that depending on the character, even old ass white comet has a delayed input combo for variety. And as seen with more recent characters and old ones with a core upgrade, some get entire different movesets when activating the "burst" or charge.
but I feel that Genshin is the more refined game
Oh it definitely is, as it should be, would be weird if it wasn't, but I definitely can't say it feels "so outdated" unless I'm strictly talking about the graphics, which are obviously worse because of the platform differences.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

Tempted to do more pulls on Ganyu for extra Xingqui/Noelle .. but don't want Ganyu (press hold X to win, Amber already does that..) and think I'm getting close to the pity..

This is the real gambling with gacha

So I guess I am at that point where the game is not FUN anymore. I am at AR50 WL6 now. Got decent teams and their weapons at Lvl 80 but got no more mats to level up characters or weapons anymore. All quests done and all areas are at 100%. The levelled up enemies are not dropping that much good loot as well. Farming for artifacts, ores, ascension materials etc. is a chore now and totally not a fun activity anymore. Even if I get new characters like upcoming Xiao etc. I have no means to level them up and their weapons. I think this is where I should take a break and return when new quests, events etc. come up or when they provide better ways to deal with character and weapon leveling.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz
I was thinking about trying this game out, but I'm wondering how bad the F2P experience is. I'm not expecting to get every character or anything but a lot of the reviews I'm seeing online are saying its drop rates are lower than other F2P games and they are more stingy with the currency, but all the reviews are old so I'm wondering if things have changed?

Aenima

I was thinking about trying this game out, but I'm wondering how bad the F2P experience is. I'm not expecting to get every character or anything but a lot of the reviews I'm seeing online are saying its drop rates are lower than other F2P games and they are more stingy with the currency, but all the reviews are old so I'm wondering if things have changed?
The reviews are correct when it comes to drop rates, they are not great, but thers pity systems so if ur smart with ur currency you can save to pull the character u want garanteed.

The big difference between Genshin and other gachas, is that all characters u get in Genshin are good. You get some 4 star characters for free, and just those free character u get are enough to clear the entire content of the game. I know cuz thats what i did. The 1st time i really used my premium currency that i was hording, was for the actual banner to pull Ganyu, that i got even before reaching pitty, so still have a good amount of curency for a future character i like.

If you ignore the obcession of trying to get all the characters, this game is very F2P friendly and the single player experience is better than many full priced RPGs out there.

Last edited:

Pejo

Yea this game has a very strict pity system that will never having you pulling 200+ pulls without a max tier character. That said, you will need a hell of a lot of luck to get them before pity because the rates are bad. Compared to gachas I've played in the past, this is pretty forgiving though, at 72-90 pulls to guarantee a max rarity character/weapon. It also carries across banners so you can essentially set up a pity and wait for a character that you want to come along. They've been pretty good with giving out free 4* characters (there are only 4 and 5 star so far), so you'll still have stuff to play around with and characters to build.

Other than that, the first 30 hours or so of the game is probably my GotY last year, so enjoy that and don't rush it.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Hmmm the pity system sounds good, I'll give it a shot. I'll just be cautious with my pulls.
I started an alt account in my ps5 last week. Pure F2P. Including the 6 free characters you get I have pulled five additional characters and three constellations (for a total of 8) just from the quest rewards and story progression.

I love the game and my main account is AR 54 but that one is not F2P. Need to start a new account waiting for new events to go live. This should be a great week to jump in!

Last edited:
I started an alt account in my ps5 last week. Pure F2P. Including the 6 free characters you get I have pulled five additional characters and three constellations (for a total of 8) just from the quest rewards and story progression.

I love the game and my main account is AR 54 but that one is not F2P. Need to start a new account waiting for new events to go live. This should be a great week to jump in!
How's the event system in this game? Should I be rushing to progress so I can get this event done before the next one starts? Or are they not really that relevant so I don't have to worry about then and can just take my time.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
How's the event system in this game? Should I be rushing to progress so I can get this event done before the next one starts? Or are they not really that relevant so I don't have to worry about then and can just take my time.
I do not know to be honest. On my main account I clear all new content very quickly. That’s one of the reasons I started a new account. I want to see if I can do all of the content I went through on my main account.

There does seem to be events I cannot access in the new play through but I don’t know if it is because of my world level.

I know I do not have access to character specific events (Klee story, Childe, etc) that have passed which is a bummer.

I do not know to be honest. On my main account I clear all new content very quickly. That’s one of the reasons I started a new account. I want to see if I can do all of the content I went through on my main account.

There does seem to be events I cannot access in the new play through but I don’t know if it is because of my world level.

I know I do not have access to character specific events (Klee story, Childe, etc) that have passed which is a bummer.
Oh you need characters to do certain events? That seems like a big deal.

Pejo

Events so far are pretty core to the main story, and usually gated by Adventurer Rank. I forget if they announced the adventurer rank you need to be for this next round of events, but I'm going to guess somewhere in the 20s. In the early game, you get ranks just for exploring, collecting stuff, and opening chests, so don't sweat it too much if you're actively playing.

Fuz

Banned
TLDR: Terrible gacha rates, terrible pity system, very good game.

x@3f*oo_e!

Praise the Lord!

When you have so many PS5s you use them as stairs

N4SReB9.jpg

According to https://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/57651187.html it's a employee lottery and iPhone12 is the S rank character at 1% drop rate (M1 mac book too), PS5 and 3070 is 4* at 16% drop rate

Last edited:

Aenima

Just rush untill you reach AR20 (adventure rank), some events you can only participate when ur above that rank.

Just keep following the story quests and opening all the chests u find on your way and you should rank up fast.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Honkai and Genshin are not directly related. Characters look similar due to MiHoYo being HACKS when it comes to character design.

Moogle11

Banned
Does this ever get to being more linear with story and quests? I did the initial little dungeons or whatever with the NPCs who join your party afterward. Since then I’ve just been wandering the world revealing the map and unlocking teleport points and very slowly upping my Adventure Rank as I need to hit 10 for the next main story quest IIRC. I’ve found a couple world quests along the way, but they were just fetch quests and I didn’t see a way to figure how where the flowers or whatever they wanted were beyond looking it up online.

Honkai and Genshin are not directly related. Characters look similar due to MiHoYo being HACKS when it comes to character design.
Stormterror is seen in the rosemary's floriograph bubble universe event when otto looked into it from the outside and opened another gate to somewhere else (genshin). For all we know genshin is just another bubble universe inside of honkai.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Stormterror is seen in the rosemary's floriograph bubble universe event when otto looked into it from the outside and opened another gate to somewhere else (genshin). For all we know genshin is just another bubble universe inside of honkai.
Would that still be within the same universe when it exists in a different one?
🤔

Those reddit theories do be looking interesting though...
nDhSqul.gif

Would that still be within the same universe when it exists in a different one?
🤔
Yeah because they are all "inside" the Honkai universe. It's kinda like how characters in Marvel, like franklin richards, can create "pocket universes" inside the main 616 universe.
The ending of rosemary's floriograph also implies the captain (the player) can hop around these bubble universes like some kind of interdimensional traveler, and that the main universe characters somehow remember if they interacted....it's kinda confusing/convoluted, but it's definitely all connected.

Top Bottom