• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Couldn’t imagine playing this on a phone

It looks amazing on PS5 and runs buttery smooth.

Edit
Also it feels incredibly good with a controller. Would never even guess it’s a mobile game.

Last edited:
As long as you have a decent phone, it isn't bad. Only difficulty is aim mode with archers, cannons but only if you need to move while aiming.

I'm sure it's doable. I just suck at FPS.
For sure, it possible to get used to anything.
I just really dislike playing any action game on a glass surface. Love phones for turn based games or anything menu driven. Touch interface is superior in those instances imo.

Pejo

Ok, survey is done, we went with: Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

I messaged the mod and asked him to move it as his convenience, so if you don't see the thread under Communities anymore, check Gaming.

Currently working on an update post with the new stuff in 4.0.

Pejo

Welcome to Genshin Impact version 4.0!

What's new? (click each section to expand)
  • Brand new NATION!
    • Welcome to France Fontaine!!​
8dlgrldoj0hb1.jpg

35xmzoyrj0hb1.jpg

ffzub2erj0hb1.jpg

fy9zn1mrj0hb1.jpg
  • New underwater exploration
    • (including an awesome ass-covering fart bubble to keep everything wholesome and good)
      • This helps keep Genshin's playerbase 100% pure and level headed. No deranged schizos in this community, no sir)
  • New world/combat mechanic: Pneuma/Ousia
    • Think positive/negative like on a battery
      • Like your phone battery when it dies trying to finish the download lmao
  • Underwater shit you can do.
    • I dunno, miHoYo's PR department made this one separate instead of just including it in part 2. Don't ask me why.
  • All new flora, fauna, and enemies to fight.
    • Look how they *creatively* changed "mecha" to "meka"
    • Dogs with hats, WHAAAAAAT?
  • New characters and weapons, including new banners to use your hard earned (bought) resources on!
    • Only some of them are young boys in short shorts​
    • Everyone participating will get a free copy of Bennett (every YouTuber's favorite 4* support) and new character Lynette (literally the best 4* Anemo sword character in the game)​
  • New events!
    • Similar to old events, but NEW
    • They're still trying to push that card game
    • Brand new line of Battle Pass™ weapons.
  • System/QoL Updates
    • Party screen now has the characters posing like they're on a 2005 pop punk album cover.
    • Probably more. I'll edit this and add them in later after we see the patch notes.
  • Future playable Fontainees.... Fontainians.... Fonties?

• FIle Sizes the BIGGEST yet!
    • Phones and Tablets - 29~ GB
    • PC and Playstation - 32~ GB

Last edited:

Pejo

Holy shit what a mess it is to try to edit big posts on GAF. It still doesn't look like I want it to but I was fucking around in the BB code format for like an hour and lost all of my edits, so it's good enough.

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage can you link that post in the OP when you get a minute? Thanks!

Holy shit what a mess it is to try to edit big posts on GAF. It still doesn't look like I want it to but I was fucking around in the BB code format for like an hour and lost all of my edits, so it's good enough.

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage can you link that post in the OP when you get a minute? Thanks!
Done! I also intend to go over the OT in the near future and clean up a few outdated or incorrect things. Very nice job on the 4.0 OT.

Pejo

Gotta disagree with you on the file size on mobile unless you just mean the patch update.
Is that with the preload done? I just checked my phone (since I only do purchases on mobile for the google protections) and mine's sitting at 25~GB with the default settings. I was looking at a reddit post for the 9GB. I'll edit that post again but damn clicking that edit button scares me.
Done! I also intend to go over the OT in the near future and clean up a few outdated or incorrect things. Very nice job on the 4.0 OT.
Thanks, appreciate it!

I feel it was better to have this in the Community section where you could always find it in the first page within first 10 threads. On gaming forum it always gets pushed to 2nd page and lets face it, there are not going to be a whole lot of new players joining here.

deanote666

Is that with the preload done? I just checked my phone (since I only do purchases on mobile for the google protections) and mine's sitting at 25~GB with the default settings. I was looking at a reddit post for the 9GB. I'll edit that post again but damn clicking that edit button scares me.

Thanks, appreciate it!
That was after the preload done on my main account/hone.

On my old phone, after the preload, where quest progress is still as head of Swordfish II, it is sitting at 36gb on my old, 64gb phone.

Fuz

Banned
I feel it was better to have this in the Community section where you could always find it in the first page within first 10 threads. On gaming forum it always gets pushed to 2nd page and lets face it, there are not going to be a whole lot of new players joining here.
Who doesn't use bookmarks on GAF? The forum is barely readable without - it always been like this, especially before the split.

Pejo

Few interesting leaks:

Quoted from reddit:
NAs
Folks who like brawlers will like his NAs, they're very powerful and brisk, comparable to Heizou, the Uncle said his playstyle feels great

Wriothesley's CA features a small jump before he punches upwards

E
Increased IR on E: [Wriothesley] won't feel the first two punches from a Ruin Guard, but will be sent flying from the next.

In this state, when HP >50%, his NAs will be enhanced, similar to Yoimiya's E enhancement, and on hit [Wriothesley's] HP will be consumed

16s CD, 10s duration, particles will not be generated on E, but will be during NAs

Q
5-hit attack, ATK scaling, [with a] really large AoE, even bigger than Neuvillette's, [Wriothesley's Q] is not like Dehya's continuous punching, [his is] an instantaneous hit, more akin to Wanderer and Heizou

16 seconds is a goddamn eternity for a cooldown on an elemental skill. Wonder if his constellations address it... Since it sounds like a stance change, I doubt Sacrificial book is gonna work, similar to Dehya. But he did end up as an icy punchy boy. Wonder what his attacks are when his skill isn't active. Since he's the first Cryo Catalyst, I wonder if his regular normals will be Cryo or if they're gonna make it all physical.

4.1 event weapon is FINALLY a HP% substat sword. The only 4* or above one in the game so far was Nilou's sword, which I gave to Kirara. Now they can both have one. I don't even give a shit what else it does as long as it's HP%

Also, looks like we're finally getting some changes to the daily commission system.

I don't personally find Star Rail's all that different than Genshin except you only have one "quest" per day and the rest are just random shit you do while playing like "kill 20 enemies" "craft a consumable" "take a photo". Wonder if they're gonna make it easier to get the daily commissions that you need for the achievements. That'd be nice.

Catching up with some quests I had hanging and the Eternal Oasis quest is actually nice.

Happy Thanks GIF
Yea the storyline and the Oasis were the best parts of that whole area. Good luck 100% it though, if you ever attempt that.

Good shit. Didn't understand what's going on tbh but nice to see the thread here 👍
We moved the thread out for 4.0 for a while to try to harpoon new/returning players that maybe didn't ever see the thread in communities.

We'll be going back there after a few weeks, this is just a temporary thing. Just turn your thread alerts on and it'll be over before you know it.

Man, I stopped playing this right when 2.0 came out. Feels like forever ago.
There is a lot of QoL stuff that's been released since then. If you have the space on your device, the main quests and general exploration and stuff got better. Some of the boneheaded decisions by the devs have also been made though.

Does PC let you play beyond 60fps yet?
Officially? No. But I'll just leave this here for anyone to use at their own discretion:

Pejo

Even if I leave out my personal favorite areas that you guys hate Tsurumi and Enkanomiya we had some legit great areas. Chasm, the first and third desert areas, the first two GAAs, which granted, were limited time.

Last night I decided to just beeline Kokomi, got tired of waiting lol. Found that Inazuma is covered in those wayfarer spots that summon boats. So I did some island hopping and went straight to Watatsumi Island. I kept stopping and getting off the boat because I was afraid it would sink when the stamina was depleted lol (insert clown gif here) but then realized it only drains when you are going fast, smh I’m so dumb. Just have ptsd from drowning in ankle deep water so many times lol. used the interactive map for the Sango pearls too. Had to go to bed before I finished, since I didn’t commit until later in my play session. Hopefully later this evening I can get her to 70 at least.

Very excited to pull for Yelan. Ugh, banner can’t come soon enough.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is a lot of QoL stuff that's been released since then. If you have the space on your device, the main quests and general exploration and stuff got better. Some of the boneheaded decisions by the devs have also been made though.
I'm worried about being super behind in the meta, these GaaS games usually have power creep by design so that the regulars have a reason to keep doing gatcha pulls. I had a pretty powerful team when I finished the 2nd area, but I'm guessing they're likely total shit by now.

I'm worried about being super behind in the meta, these GaaS games usually have power creep by design so that the regulars have a reason to keep doing gatcha pulls. I had a pretty powerful team when I finished the 2nd area, but I'm guessing they're likely total shit by now.
Na with world level it really won’t matter, enemies will scale to you. Story and dailies and side quests you will be fine no matter what characters you have.

Spiral Abyss ya, that’s the 1 mode where having good characters matter. But seriously, everything else, you’re good to go.

Also from what I’ve gathered even super old characters like Zhongli and other from years ago are still top tier characters. The power creep isn’t that bad in this game compared to other games.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Na with world level it really won’t matter, enemies will scale to you. Story and dailies and side quests you will be fine no matter what characters you have.

Spiral Abyss ya, that’s the 1 mode where having good characters matter. But seriously, everything else, you’re good to go.

Also from what I’ve gathered even super old characters like Zhongli and other from years ago are still top tier characters. The power creep isn’t that bad in this game compared to other games.
Awesome, I'll do it then. I played on PS4, but they had just introduced account linking / cross saves before I stopped. So, I'll download it on EGS and see if I can't log in and continue.

Fuz

Banned
Even if I leave out my personal favorite areas that you guys hate Tsurumi and Enkanomiya
No, I liked them.
But exploration turned to shit with their "the map is the puzzle" phylosophy. At least when you climb in BotW and ToF you can "jump grab" the ledges, and in ToF you have the grappling hook and the wall-running shoes to make it smoother.
GI made it extremely annoying and unrealistic, I like open worlds to feel like real worlds, not a series of puzzles in a line.
Which team?
Friendly suggestion: don't do the last ascension quest, ever. There's nothing to gain outside more HPs on enemies.

Last edited:

Pejo

Awesome, I'll do it then. I played on PS4, but they had just introduced account linking / cross saves before I stopped. So, I'll download it on EGS and see if I can't log in and continue.
I'd recommend the native PC client instead of obfuscating with EGS, but yea as Icymanipulator Icymanipulator said, there basically is no power creep. If you ask a lot of people, it's actually been negative power creep where the new characters are mostly weaker/sidegrades to the launch cast, with some exceptions.

https://genshin.hoyoverse.com/en/home

I think it makes you click the gem and then watch an animation, then the download link is in the top right.

jshackles

jshackles jshackles
I second what Pejo said, native client is far superior
Any particular reason? Or is this one of those "I just hate Epic Games Store" posts? Is it slow to update or something? Or is there actually worse performance?

Also, holy moly this is a big download.

you only have one "quest" per day and the rest are just random shit you do while playing like "kill 20 enemies" "craft a consumable" "take a photo".
Sounds worse to me. Now I have to go around to find random mobs or do other shit I don't want to just for some primos.

Reactions: Fuz

Pejo

Any particular reason? Or is this one of those "I just hate Epic Games Store" posts? Is it slow to update or something? Or is there actually worse performance?

Also, holy moly this is a big download.
A benefit to using EGS you'll have whatever baked in consumer protections Epic has (not sure if they have refunds/disputes/etc), so I guess it has that going for it. That's if you plan on spending, though. I doubt there's much performance difference other than the resources that EGS eats up just by being open, it should be the same game client otherwise.

Sounds worse to me. Now I have to go around to find random mobs or do other shit I don't want to just for some primos.
I find Star Rail's system easier if you just want to get in and get out, the tasks aren't as obtrusive or time consuming as the current Genshin model. I just hope there's a way we can select/guarantee specific achievement or quest-unlock related commissions with the new system. I'm still trying to get that "Tales of Winter" achievement in Mondstadt.

z4StgT5.png

How screwed am I?
You’re good you have Zhongli lol he’s like one of the best characters in the game and will carry you through nearly everything. Other then that just fill out the team with who you like imo

As far as the native client, no I don’t hate EGS, I have it installed on my PC, but the native client will hook up to the Hoyo app and get you extra freebies. Maybe Pejo knows more.

Last edited:

Pejo

z4StgT5.png

How screwed am I?
Turn your main character (Traveler) into Dendro (able to change it the first time you "tune in" with a Statue of the Seven in Sumeru, and you've got a great team there with Keqing/Traveler/Fischl/Zhongli. You'll eventually get a free copy of Collei, another Dendro character (I think she's tied to that progress book that teaches you game tutorials), and she might even work better than the Traveler. Dendro is a new element that was realeased in 3.0 that really pumped up the damage and usefulness of both Hydro and Electro, so Keqing is a legit "main" DPS now. There are several other team comps you can make with that setup, but most of the time Zhongli will negate the need for a dedicated healer while also giving your characters interruption resistance and enemy resistance debuffs (and attack buffs too if you use the Millelith artifact set on him). He's really that busted.

That said, it's pretty clear with what we can see already and with future leaks that Fontaine is going to be centered around HP sacrifice/restore mechanics for the new characters, so it might not be bad for you to invest in a healer or two when you're able to. Jean is a great character that can do a lot of roles for you too. You'll want to eventually get her a 4pc set of Viridescent Venerer artifacts to boost your damage in addition to healing/yeeting small enemies. There are a number of free characters you'll be able to obtain as you play. I think several of them are permanently obtainable.

As Fuz Fuz mentioned from this point forward be a little mindful about when you ascend your world level. There will be a quest for it when you hit certain Adventurer Rank levels, that will advance your world when you finish it. Unlike early days, this is reversible now, so if you go too far and find things too tough, you can revert back one level. It's not bad to do it in general, but if your characters are under-built it can make stuff a bit of a pain.

Here's a good site with generally accepted "good" builds for various characters. Don't be afraid to experiment on your own and find your own niches though.

Last edited:

jshackles

As Fuz Fuz mentioned from this point forward be a little mindful about when you ascend your world level. There will be a quest for it when you hit certain Adventurer Rank levels, that will advance your world when you finish it. Unlike early days, this is reversible now, so if you go too far and find things too tough, you can revert back one level. It's not bad to do it in general, but if your characters are under-built it can make stuff a bit of a pain.
Cool - this was one of the main things I was worried about, because before I quit I had advanced from world level 2 on to world level 3 and was constantly getting my ass kicked. Stuff I used to be able to mow through easily was just taking forever and that made the game a slog - one of the main reasons I quit. I'll have to look up and see how to undo that, now that it's possible...

There's a lot of QoL stuff they added to Honkai Star Rail they need to back port to Genshin TBH

I'll be back for Fontaine story but I'm spending most of my time in HSR these days

deanote666

Don't forget the days when you had to pick up 100 local specialties each week.
Cool - this was one of the main things I was worried about, because before I quit I had advanced from world level 2 on to world level 3 and was constantly getting my ass kicked. Stuff I used to be able to mow through easily was just taking forever and that made the game a slog - one of the main reasons I quit. I'll have to look up and see how to undo that, now that it's possible...
Others look down on me for this but early on, level up what 3*, 4*, 5* artifacts you got that have atk% as the main stat. That will help you get the best quick damage boost until you get to AR 45 and can farm 5* artifacts. Worry about other stats later on after you have met the basic power level to get picky with artifact set bonuses and stats. You can always feed your 3* into 4* and so on.

Pick a 3* or 4* weapon and get those leveled up too.

I'm a returning player who quit about the time you did. I never bothered moving past AR 35 and I still haven't. All of the story content is still accessible, and nothing has felt too hard. In fact, on most tier lists, some of the original 4 star characters are still considered to be S tier.

It's honestly pretty great to be able to return to all this content.

Last edited:

Pejo

It's done in the pause menu I believe, in or around your profile in the very top left. It's been a while since I messed with it and the game's currently down but I'm sure you'll find it. Just a heads up, the world level revert only lasts for 24 hours, but then after that expires you can immediately do it again, you just have to remember to do it.

Others look down on me for this but early on, level up what 3*, 4*, 5* artifacts you got that have atk% as the main stat.
Ursula GIF

Just kidding, you can actually use these "temporary" artifacts as exp materials for future artifacts with only a minimal amount of xp and Mora lost.

There's a lot of QoL stuff they added to Honkai Star Rail they need to back port to Genshin TBH

I'll be back for Fontaine story but I'm spending most of my time in HSR these days
Well rejoice, they've already announced they're changing dailies to work more in-line with HSR, and there are rumblings of Resin changes too.

Last edited:

jshackles

It's done in the pause menu I believe, in or around your profile in the very top left. It's been a while since I messed with it and the game's currently down but I'm sure you'll find it. Just a heads up, the world level revert only lasts for 24 hours, but then after that expires you can immediately do it again, you just have to remember to do it.
Really? That sounds pretty dumb, if I'm being perfectly honest. I'll give it a go, but knowing this has deflated my hype to return significantly.

Pejo

Really? That sounds pretty dumb, if I'm being perfectly honest. I'll give it a go, but knowing this has deflated my hype to return significantly.
I mean it's just a few button presses but you do you, my dude. I think it's their way of subliminally pushing you to building your characters so that they're strong enough on their own instead of just living in the "always one world level behind" ghetto like Fuz Fuz

You know what I just realized? We didn't get any deep Liben lore this time before Fontaine opened up. He's been trading us boxes in the week up to a new version for the past 2. Guess he died.

RIP you poor bastard. May you trade your boxes of junk in heaven.
iu

Form my understanding changing the world level lasts until you change it again, but it takes 24 hours before you can change it again. There’s like a cool down. I didn’t get from it that you would have to do it everyday, or that it would revert on its own.

Pejo

Pretty sure you can only change it once every 24 hours, not that it reverts in 24 hours.
Form my understanding changing the world level lasts until you change it again, but it takes 24 hours before you can change it again. There’s like a cool down. I didn’t get from it that you would have to do it everyday, or that it would revert on its own.
This is how I remember it. You can only adjust it once every 24 hours, and only once you reach WL5.
Whoops, looks like I was wrong about that then. I only used it once a long ass time ago so my GF could join my world for co-op when she used to play.

NEW CODE - 60 primogems

2S84JS839T8R

Ugh, never had a download go this slow on PSN before. I’m wired and have ridiculously fast internet, yet somehow it’s taking forever. All I want to do is pull on the new banner lol

Edit

Ya there’s definitely something up with PSN everything else at my place is running perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom