• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley to interview Moby Dick Studios

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I honestly don't understand why they would go through the trouble of signing on everyone on a temporary contract so that the original creators get to finish their game while simultaneously removing all references crediting Kojima AND making their work conditions terrible, as if to hinder their work despite having signed them on to continue the game they are funding themselves. That's not stupidity, that's insanity. I guess I'm one to talk :p

You really think them sinking their public image for a hoax makes more sense?

Stuff like this happens a lot. Ueda quit Sony years ago but he's been under contract to finish The Last Guardian ever since. Especially with it being so late in the dev cycle for MGSV, it wouldn't make sense to not contract the people who had been working on it the whole time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And even then Ueda didn't have a falling out with Sony. I mean, you clearly see him very happy with the reintroduction of TLG at E3.

God knows he wouldn't be content just quietly releasing this game.

They weren't doing that. It was one of the biggest games. To the point where two of the platform holders were probably fighting to have it on stage.

We're to the point now, that with all the Kojima debacle, Kojima's last MG trailer debuted on a YouTube stream, not even on stage.

It's even weirder that Konami would be willing to hire him as a contractor after the falling out. The whole situation is just flat out strange.

It is not. Japanese companies don't outright fire the employees they want out as Western companies do.

SILENT HILLS IS A MINIGAME IN PHANTOM PAIN

I would love to have 10 minutes of Silent Hills in my MGSV :(

Vinc

You really think them sinking their public image for a hoax makes more sense?

Stuff like this happens a lot. Ueda quit Sony years ago but he's been under contract to finish The Last Guardian ever since. Especially with it being so late in the dev cycle for MGSV, it wouldn't make sense to not contract the people who had been working on it the whole time.

Ueda left Sony with no bad blood, the narrative here implies Konami fired Kojima and now is removing his name everywhere out of spite. It's honestly a vastly different situation, unless Kojima did leave on his own.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Also, is it really wrong for them to want their multi million investment to get profits? I mean if they outright fired everyone and just released the game, you probably wouldn't even get hard-core fans to buy that thing.

Vinc

We're to the point now, that with all the Kojima debacle, Kojima's last MG trailer debuted on a YouTube stream, not even on stage.

So the narrative at the time this story came out was that Kojima couldn't talk about MGS in fear of breaching contract, but him making a trailer and giving it to Geoff for his E3 stream isn't breaching contract? There's no denying that the situation is hard to wrap your head around. This is not part of this whole conspiracy theory thing... on its own, this situation is strange, and a lot of things don't make sense.

It probably is an anagram alluding to him leaving. That doesn't mean that it's a conspiracy to make it look like he's falling out with konami. He's probably known or had some idea that this might happen for some time.

This is what I think. I can't believe any company would approve a publicity stunt that hits their stock as hard as news of Kojima's firing did, but especially with those hints in Ground Zeroes (and the other stuff brought up in that thread), it seems like Kojima has known for a while that he would be gone after MGSV.

I'm not subscribing to the idea that this is an elaborated hoax, but you mean to tell me that Joakim came out of nowhere and it was coincidence that it was an anagram for Kojima?

I mean, of all the names in the world they picked the one that could be rearranged into Kojima? That's the mother of all coincidences.

Reply from Batzi:

"Tell him that Ludvig discussed the Moby Dick Studio planning in one of the podcasts alerts pre-Kojima Station episodes. He chose Joakim randomly because it is a very popular Swedish name but he only realized it was an anagram for Kojima later. mOGREn was what they planned to use for the ruse and not joakim. Tell him to listen to the podcast."

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So the narrative at the time this story came out was that Kojima couldn't talk about MGS in fear of breaching contract, but him making a trailer and giving it to Geoff for his E3 stream isn't breaching contract? There's no denying that the situation is hard to wrap your head around. This is not part of this whole conspiracy theory thing... on its own, this situation is strange, and a lot of things don't make sense.

Don't twist my words, please. I'm trying to illustrate how this game went from being the one game that platform holders fought to have on stage to being a game whose latest high profile trailer released on a way smaller venue.

While Kojima did edit the trailer, that doesn't mean that Konami wasn't aware of it. It's clear that this would have never seen the light of day if Konami didn't want it to happen. It's not a conspiracy theory.

Vinc

It probably is an anagram alluding to him leaving. That doesn't mean that it's a conspiracy to make it look like he's falling out with konami. He's probably known or had some idea that this might happen for some time.

Sure, that's probably the most sensible possibility, but Kojima playfully hinting at his departure twice over the course of a few years is really strange on its own. You'd think he'd want to leave on his own terms, and you'd also think that Konami would make it happen a bit more... softly, to say the least, if they knew it was gonna happen all along. They certainly wouldn't want to announce that well in advance of MGS V's launch.

Don't twist my words, please. I'm trying to illustrate how this game went from being the one game that platform holders fought to have on stage to being a game whose latest high profile trailer released on a way smaller venue.

While Kojima did edit the trailer, that doesn't mean that Konami wasn't aware of it. It's clear that this would have never seen the light of day if Konami didn't want it to happen. It's not a conspiracy theory.

Not trying to twist your words, I understood what you meant, but I think it makes no sense that Konami would allow him to make the trailer and plaster his name all over it, while also not putting the trailer up themselves and removing his name from everything else. It's a complete contradiction.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Companies do stupid things too, y'know. Konami's new president apparently also hates Kojima or something. I forgot if that was true or just crazy fans' thoughts.

Not trying to twist your words, I understood what you meant, but I think it makes no sense that Konami would allow him to make the trailer and plaster his name all over it, while also not putting the trailer up themselves and removing his name from everything else. It's a complete contradiction.

Sure, they did something stupíd, and realized they got a huge backlash for it. They probably are trying to mitigate the damage with things like allowing that passing. The game is also full of credits with Kojima's name. They removed "A Hideo Kojima Game" from past games, and then readded it later. It's not contradictory at all. They are trying to save face.

Vinc

Reply from Batzi:

"Tell him that Ludvig discussed the Moby Dick Studio planning in one of the podcasts alerts pre-Kojima Station episodes. He chose Joakim randomly because it is a very popular Swedish name but he only realized it was an anagram for Kojima later. mOGREn was what they planned to use for the ruse and not joakim. Tell him to listen to the podcast."

If this is actually true, it's completely crazy that both Kojima being in there and "Mr. Kojima Gone" being in there are both coincidences. Especially considering what happened next.

Juan29.zapata said:
Sure, they did something stupíd, and realized they got a huge backlash for it. They probably are trying to mitigate the damage with things like allowing that passing. The game is also full of credits with Kojima's name. They removed "A Hideo Kojima Game" from past games, and then readded it later. It's not contradictory at all. They are trying to save face.

The name has once again been removed, though, I'm not sure they're trying to save face at all. It'll be interesting to see how Kojima gets credited in the game. It'd be weird to remove all references to him from the promotional material but keep his name everywhere in the game.

Ricky_R

Reply from Batzi:

Well since I don't believe any of the recent events are a hoax, I have no other option but to acknowledge it as an incredible coincidence.

Vinc

Well since I don't believe any of the recent events are a hoax, I have no other option but to acknowledge it as an incredible coincidence.

Pretty much. My heart says one thing (more like it wants me to believe), but my mind says another.

Though my mind still can't compute the situation as a whole, conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

I still think this incredible coincidence is worth discussing on its own, it's pretty amazing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The name has once again been removed, though, I'm not sure they're trying to save face at all. It'll be interesting to see how Kojima gets credited in the game. It'd be weird to remove all references to him from the promotional material but keep his name everywhere in the game.

I didn't know that, interesting. We already know how he's being credited. People have seen his name everywhere in each mission (considering it uses an "episodic" format according to previewers), and we've seen his name in credits in the latest gameplay demo.

If they were to change it for release, they're even more stupid than anyone could've imagined.

I honestly don't understand why they would go through the trouble of signing on everyone on a temporary contract so that the original creators get to finish their game while simultaneously removing all references crediting Kojima AND making their work conditions terrible, as if to hinder their work despite having signed them on to continue the game they are funding themselves. That's not stupidity, that's insanity. I guess I'm one to talk :p

Uh, no. The literally cannot fail to credit him, unless they try to pull some Atari crap from back in the 70's and 80's, but that just won't fly these days.

The only references that are erased are the tagline "A Hideo Kojima Game" and the studio named "Kojima Productions". We even see (in the E3 footage) individual in-game credits at the start of every mission, which lists every person involved with the creation of that mission, which constantly references Kojima and other key staff. Granted, Konami could have ripped those out, but I doubt they have or are going to if they let both the journalists who played MGSV at the press event, and everyone at home, see them in game.

If they were going to remove every mission start credits roll, they'd do it pretty quickly after the meltdown. I think it's very unlikely that they'd have left public traces of their existence, and besides they are credits, credits which intentionally mimic the way a TV show displays key credits at the beginning of an episode, and you can't legally not credit people for their work. And deleting them would not be just Kojima's problem, ultimately all of Kojima Productions probably come up in there one way or another, so they'd be taking the names of a couple hundred people from their work.

And sure, they are all probably credited in the final credits of the game, and Konami could just leave that in order to credit everyone involved and remove every thing else, but that just seems very unlikely for them to do something so risky and controversial after they've already showed them in public gameplay.

I do wonder if Kojima put so many credits in because it would be controversial to remove them though... I believe that this is not a hoax, and that Konami is really cutting all ties, because the business logic doesn't add up, but GZ's seeming prediction of the situation is interesting to say the least. GZ came out in March 2014, and this whole situation blew up shortly after the reveal of MGSV's release date in March this year, right? Very strange, but I still don't see it being likely that Konami is playing along, since this drastically screws with their business interests.

Maybe its like Emperor Bohe said and:
Perhaps it started as (a hoax), but then it became real somehow

But no way is it a hoax through and through. It either started as a plan for one, and turned real, Kojima planned to leave anyways (most likely IMO), or everything blew up unexpectedly. Though I think Kojima did want to make Silent Hills before he left, he seemed pretty passionate about it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Calling this a hoax was our initial way of coping the terrible news of Kojima dropping MG and the cancellation of Silent Hills. Konami would never risk to take a hit to their own stock just to get a forum posters excited.

MGS fans never cease to amaze me lol.

I'm just happy the series is over so these theories could die forever.

Oh, MGS theories may soon be over, but Kojima theories will follow his work wherever he goes. And yeah, these are batshit (and kind of interesting), but theories involving the actual plots of his games are what these kinds of plots are all about man. Like Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Fringe, w/e Kojima game's just naturally work with fan theorizing. It's just part of the entertainment.

Companies do stupid things too, y'know. Konami's new president apparently also hates Kojima or something. I forgot if that was true or just crazy fans' thoughts.
If you believe any of SuperBunnyHop's source's information, than know that it is quite possible, but not as confirmed as everything else they say. Considering they'd be far more likely to know what is going on with massive company shifts like the liquidation of Kojima Productions, than the personal vendetta's of their CEO, it's something to be a little more skeptical about. As I recall, it may be a rumor running around Konami's offices, though it's not like it'd be completely far-fetched. I seem to recall the source cited that the CEO was fed up with Kojima Productions using too much time and money to develop MGSV, and that he thought Kojima had too much influence for a game developer, but I'm not so sure about that last part, I'd have to see the video again.

Edit:
Calling this a hoax was our initial way of coping the terrible news of Kojima dropping MG and the cancellation of Silent Hills. Konami would never risk to take a hit to their own stock just to get a forum posters excited.
Yeah.

Vinc

Uh, no. The literally cannot fail to credit him, unless they try to pull some Atari crap from back in the 70's and 80's, but that just won't fly these days.

The only references that are erased are the tagline "A Hideo Kojima Game" and the studio named "Kojima Productions". We even see (in the E3 footage) individual in-game credits at the start of every mission, which lists every person involved with the creation of that mission, which constantly references Kojima and other key staff. Granted, Konami could have ripped those out, but I doubt they have or are going to if they let both the journalists who played MGSV at the press event, and everyone at home, see them in game.

If they were going to remove every mission start credits roll, they'd do it pretty quickly after the meltdown. I think it's very unlikely that they'd have left public traces of their existence, and besides they are credits, credits which intentionally mimic the way a TV show displays key credits at the beginning of an episode, and you can't legally not credit people for their work. And deleting them would not be just Kojima's problem, ultimately all of Kojima Productions probably come up in there one way or another, so they'd be taking the names of a couple hundred people from their work.

And sure, they are all probably credited in the final credits of the game, and Konami could just leave that in order to credit everyone involved and remove every thing else, but that just seems very unlikely for them to do something so risky and controversial after they've already showed them in public gameplay.

I do wonder if Kojima put so many credits in because it would be controversial to remove them though... I believe that this is not a hoax, and that Konami is really cutting all ties, because the business logic doesn't add up, but GZ's seeming prediction of the situation is interesting to say the least. GZ came out in March 2014, and this whole situation blew up shortly after the reveal of MGSV's release date in March this year, right? Very strange, but I still don't see it being likely that Konami is playing along, since this drastically screws with their business interests.

Maybe its like Emperor Bohe said and:

But no way is it a hoax through and through. It either started as a plan for one, and turned real, Kojima planned to leave anyways (most likely IMO), or everything blew up unexpectedly. Though I think Kojima did want to make Silent Hills before he left, he seemed pretty passionate about it.

Very interesting post. About the E3 demo though, I just watched Kinda Funny's video about the situation and they mention that they were told the "opening credits" for missions thing was gonna change. It's at 2:55 in the video. I'm also not sure it's actually illegal to not credit Kojima for his work on the game, it likely depends on the contract with him. I'm really anxious to get my hands on the game and see how it all plays out.

Fat4all

Banned
Sounds like something a Konami plant would say.

Metal Gear

mlfw835_Applejuke.gif~c200

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sorry for the necrobump but I have to share this. I just went full on tinfoil hat mode and basically deconstructed this year's events with a friend and we both became kind of convinced that Kojima leaving Konami MIGHT be kind of a hoax... a crazy one... but this is Kojima's final MGS game...

and then we went back to this, Joakim Mogren. Anagram for Kojima... yes... but I don't remember ever seeing anyone decipher the last name? Seems a bit half-baked if it just means Kojima...

And... um... Mr. Kojima Gone?

Seems... convenient. I don't know where to post this, and I'm ready to get made fun of... but isn't this kind of funny / interesting / exciting in a crazy way?

xfiles-dreamland-mulder-face.gif

What is Metal Gear?

tensuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0W3xRgr70E
I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers: foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders I was made to speak their language.

With each new post, my masters changed, along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong... words... can kill.
Kojima had small beginnings working at Konami. People would often joke that he had nothing to do and he wouldn't be a total failure if he completed at least one game. He was thrown in to game development when nobody believed him. He worked on different games and over time learned his place in the game development side. As he did, however, the western game market grew substantially and the west became more and more appealing and influential in the games market. This changed things.

Time and again the country was ruled by a foreign tongue. When he was a young boy, he lost his native language: the bedrock for any developing child. His country, his family, his face, his identity... everything was stolen from him.
Kojima was a 'developing' child, developing game after game after game for Konami. But eventually, everything was stolen from him. His country: Konami. His family: Kojima Productions. His face: Joakim Mogren. His identity: his name and logos stripped from the game.

Since ancient times, every civilisation's ruler has had the same idea. When people unite under one will, they become stronger than the sum of their parts. And what do rulers use to bring people together? Language.
The CEO of Konami has made a great company founded on great games, yes. But at the same time he can control the people of Konami and thus control the flow of games, technology, and progress coming out of Konami.

This world will become one. I have found the way. Race, tribal affiliations, national borders... even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that the Boss envisioned will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.
The video game world is going in a direction of what's the most profitable, aka mobile games, freemium games, cutting up games with dlc, low risk high budget AAA games that are increasingly similar. It doesn't matter who's making the games, the developers, artists, musicians, etc. will be irrelevant. Konami's boss envisioned getting out of the console market and eventually, that too will come to pass.

America is a country of liberty, a meeting of immigrants. Instead of simply assimilating, its' citizens live alongside others.

So the Major sought a system that used information... words, to control the subconcious.
America has western devs that still cater to consoles, and Hollywood, which makes movies. However, the movie and video game world often work together and both industries are highly successful. How else can you control the players and the narrative but with words? "Joakim Mogren", "Quiet", "I'm nuclear". The fans are saying so many things. But...After all, you will regret your words and deeds.

In his eyes, the greatest symbiotic parasite the world's ever known isn't microbial, it's linguistic. Words are what keep civilisation, our world, alive.

Free the world, not by taking men's lives, but by taking their tongues.
The games are only popular because of the fans. Because of the faith and trust the fans put in the creators. The words they speak about the games, the praises, they are what keep developers alive. They are what keeps games alive. By removing Kojima from the game, by removing Kojima Productions from Konami, fans can no longer heap praise on MGS and Konami. Fans can no longer keep MGS alive. Kojima will be free because he can no longer be pushed by fans to make another MGS.

With this, I rid the world of infestation, sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder... and then, it shall be free.

The chain of retaliation is what will truly bind this world together as one.
The fans retaliating against Konami and rallying behind Kojima as he leaves will finally fix Kojima's world. He will finally be free from Konami's shackles and fans will support him making another game (or having western aspirations) rather than pushing for more MGS as they have in the past.

Les Enfants Terrible. Zero called it.
But Konami will try to clone Kojima and continue a bastardization of MGS regardless.

Gskyace

Sorry for the necrobump but I have to share this. I just went full on tinfoil hat mode and basically deconstructed this year's events with a friend and we both became kind of convinced that Kojima leaving Konami MIGHT be kind of a hoax... a crazy one... but this is Kojima's final MGS game...

and then we went back to this, Joakim Mogren. Anagram for Kojima... yes... but I don't remember ever seeing anyone decipher the last name? Seems a bit half-baked if it just means Kojima...

And... um... Mr. Kojima Gone?

Seems... convenient. I don't know where to post this, and I'm ready to get made fun of... but isn't this kind of funny / interesting / exciting in a crazy way?

Epic, Kojima is a riddleman I guess?

I think this is the insanity that made me aware of gaf in the first place.

But we all know how this is really going down. When the game releases, Kojima will dissappear, but a new director will lead their development teams into a new age of glory. And if you ever looked at their arms, they wouldn't quite match up...

MGS4-Liquid-Ocelot-MGS2-468x.jpg

He will always be with us
through this arm!

low-G

This all being a scam would explain why allied game companies haven't placed sanctions / invaded / bombed Konami for their crimes against humanity.

The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and FF7 Remake are happening.

I will believe anything at this point.
I was about to post something about how anyone believing this could be a publicity stunt are completely deluded and then I saw this post and I remembered that the world is random and nonsensical and I don't know what to believe anymore.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mr. Kojima gone!?
okay, nope, nope. This is only one coincidence... but i do wonder if a certain gaming site will pick this up as a news :^)

Muffdraul

Reply from Batzi:

Podcast doing everything they can to preserve the secret surprise. Seriously, even if this was true they'd be better off lying and saying Joakim was an intentional anagram because saying it was a coincidence just utterly reeks of total bullshit at this point. Puh-leeze.

Top Bottom