• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geohot is asking for donations to help defend himself against Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the usual corporate cheerleaders have already arrived to give out the Sony t-shirts. I would like mine in medium size, preferably polyester, and machine washable, thanks.

Aruarian Reflection said:
Just donated a Benjamin. SMH at the people in this thread

Unfortunately as we've seen in other threads, a lot of people don't care much for the bigger picture and don't seem to understand how bad a Sony victory would be for them, and the future of the any console owners.

As long as the next COD match is cheat-free, some Sony enthusiasts don't care what we'd be giving up in the long run.

Someone said before they will just "outspend" him. Guess they're right.

Also, thread needs more gifs. Only thing is I can't think of one that approriate.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean I can sympathize with him, but when you do something like this you have to know the risks. You break the rules and then expect to be paid out of it. I mean on principle I can never feel bad for someone who cannot face the consequences when they do wrong. Whenever I do wrong it's with the full knowledge that I face that end alone if I get caught.

hamchan

While I admire the anti-piracy and anti-cheating stance there's no way he didn't know such things would be made when he released his stuff online. The best way he could have contributed to anti-piracy would have been not to release his tools.

I also sympathize that he's being sued by a mega corporation I also realize that he's put himself into this situation. Of course Sony would do everything they can to stop him and surely he must have known this would happen.

AlexM

I hope he wins.

orginal message: I'm also surprised at how many people are with sony on this one. I have a little in my paypal left over. Will donate.

sorry geohotz even though u should be able to do what you do, and even if you could get a ruling in your favor, the richest person wins the race. Ask the bleemcast guys. USA! USA!

AlexM said:
I'm also surprised at how many people are with sony on this one. I have a little in my paypal left over. Will donate.

console warz, only reason a somewhat functional person could be that stupid.

Cmagus

Mama Robotnik said:
Unfortunately as we've seen in other threads, a lot of people don't care much for the bigger picture and don't seem to understand how bad a Sony victory would be for them, and the future of the any console owners.

As long as the next COD match is cheat-free, some Sony enthusiasts don't care what we'd be giving up in the long run.

Once a method of piracy is available it will only grow and that can have huge effects on those who make the games.If he wanted to do this in his own home fine but he distributed the keys online and its no longer in just his home.If the piracy effects any games and it results in a small studio closure or job loss then I have no sympathy.It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Radogol

I can't believe how many ignorant people in here are cheering Geohot on or saying Sony got what was coming to them for removing OtherOS...seriously people? Try to use your brains a bit.

And that's how eye-opening your elaborate post is, Thaedoulus. Cheers!

Rikyfree

Oh noes, I hackzored da ps3 and possibly led it to piracy. Halp! Deal with it, Hotz. You punched a dog and it bit back. What did you think was going to happen?

jay

Amir0x said:
I mean I can sympathize with him, but when you do something like this you have to know the risks. You break the rules and then expect to be paid out of it. I mean on principle I can never feel bad for someone who cannot face the consequences when they do wrong. Whenever I do wrong it's with the full knowledge that I face that end alone if I get caught.

We don't know if he broke any legal rules yet and a lot of us think he broke no moral rules.

Amir0x said:
I mean I can sympathize with him, but when you do something like this you have to know the risks. It's not worth paying into it.
There shouldn't be risks. Sony is entirely in the wrong here.

The guy posted a math problem. Major security failures like this should be published. Because that way people know how to deal with them. If it had been kept secret and someone malicious had discovered it (which is quite possible) then we could have had PS3's being bricked/messed with left and right.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Whether you agree with him or not, you have to admit he released them for an ego-stroke. He could have released them anonymously, but chose to stick his chest out and poke Sony.

Afrikan

Shadow780 said:
For the amount of attention, I thought lawyers would jump at this pro bono.

yeah that is pretty telling.....he most likely doesn't have a good case, there is probably alot more to this case that hasn't been revealed.

If people donate to him and he loses....wouldn't that donated "FU Sony" money in some way end up going to Sony for trial fees?

jay said:
This whole thing reminds me a bit of illegal search and seizures in the states. In that case you have this vague evil, terrorism and its goal of defeating freedom, and that's motivation enough for people to say things like, "if I'm not guilty of anything I shouldn't mind being violated." In this case, there are masses of people afraid of the specter of piracy and cheating to the point where they do not believe they have the right to do what they want with their own belongings. People say stuff like, "only a pirate would want to hack their system." It's the same line of "if you want your rights then you must be evil" logic.
I'm kind of in this camp.

In no way do I think releasing the Master Key was right, but neither was the Other OS removal. Two wrongs etc.

[Nintex]

I don't think Sony is right to blame this kid for everything and sue the shit out of him. This is just some campaign with fear tactics to scare the shit out of this kid and other hackers. Ban his PS3, fine him a couple hundred bucks if you have to but don't take this to court and don't ask for IP's of people who might've seen a code in a youtube video.

But Sony has proven to be fucking stupid and insane so they will go ahead with this and ruin this kids life and make him pay for their own security failures.

Amir0x said:

Can you explain exactly what he did? I think it might even be a good idea to put in the OP as I'm still a little in the dark and honestly I just think he hacked a PS3 and tossed Homebrew on it.

Clarification needed!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I still remember him posting that he's in fact OK with piracy on PS3, because it only affects a 'big guy' who can take it - and then deleting that post. For that, he sounds like a hypocrite now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't think any amount of donations will help him. In the end, Sony will outspend him until he bleeds. It's the American legal way.

DonMigs85

Mama Robotnik said:

I think the worst-case scenario is that future consoles will be better locked down and can only run licensed games and applications; no more emulators, backup managers and calculators. That doesn't seem too bad if you simply want a secure entertainment platform used the way the manufacturer intended.

alr1ghtstart said:
Whether you agree with him or not, you have to admit he released them for an ego-stroke. He could have released them anonymously, but chose to stick his chest out and poke Sony.

This is what I don't get... he should have released them anonymously. Who knows, he could win and it will be just another case just like the iPhone. Regardless of where you sit on the fence, it's been very interesting to watch and read about since the outcome will have lasting effects that are good or bad for the industry.

ViolentP

He should have gained the support prior to getting in trouble. As it stands, he's looking for people to save him from biting off more than he can chew. Whenever I fuck up at work, I deal with it. I don't plea to the internet to help me off the hook.

JAVK

GJyP0.png

eosos

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Oh noes, I hackzored da ps3 and possibly led it to piracy. Halp! Deal with it, Hotz. You punched a dog and it bit back. What did you think was going to happen?
Fucktard. You're the problem.
I donated.

RyanDG

PataHikari said:
There shouldn't be risks. Sony is entirely in the wrong here.

The guy posted a math problem. Major security failures like this should be published. Because that way people know how to deal with them. If it had been kept secret and someone malicious had discovered it (which is quite possible) then we could have had PS3's being bricked/messed with left and right.

First and foremost, Geohot didn't just 'post a math problem'. That was the fail team who essentially posted the math formula used to find the keys. Secondly, your point about how someone malicious could have discovered the problem and used it against OFW PS3s is completely inaccurate and not reflective of any actual truth. It would have been impossible to use any of the information released in a manner to brick or mess with Sony PS3s on OFW.

Yeah... this remind me when I installed a turbo air supply in my car and Ford sue me for it. I remember opening a blog and asking people for donations. Luckly back then I raised 3000 dollars and I won in trial. Thanks to me, now everybody can install a turbo air supply to their cars.

Just in case, not a real story. But it has the same level of idiocy of the Sony - Geohot thing

freddy

Banned
He could have released the keys anonymously. The spotlight is a dangerous place to be sometimes but the kid is smart and wont starve throughout his life either.

I really don't see how any of this funding will do any good. It's Sony he is up against.

Say your prayers at night for him and save your money supporters.

alr1ghtstart said:

Bingo. His ego got him busted.

jay

alr1ghtstart said:

Lord Error said:
I still remember him posting that he's in fact OK with piracy on PS3, because it only affects a 'big guy' who can take it - and then deleting that post. For that, he sounds like a hypocrite now.

I don't care if the guy's a complete lying asshole, the principles that lie at the heart of this issue are very important, regardless of which side you're on. And would you consider posts like, "Sony are jerks, they only want to make profit" to contribute to how a rational person sees a case about console hacking? The point is the concepts at work here are bigger than one guy and one company.

DisenLedZep said:
Yeah... this remembered me when I installed a turbo air supply in my car and Ford sue me for it. I remember opening a blog and asking people for donations. Luckly back then I raised 3000 dollars and I won in trial. Thanks to me, now everybody can installed their turbo air supply to their cars.

Just in case, not a real story. But it has the same level of idiocy of the Sony - Geohot thing

How dare you alter anything on a car you own, even though you own it you must do everything ford says with your property.

DonMigs85 said:
I think the worst-case scenario is that future consoles will be better locked down and can only run licensed games and applications; no more emulators, backup managers and calculators. That doesn't seem too bad if you simply want a secure entertainment platform used the way the manufacturer intended.

Or it will be like your cable box where you just lease it from the manufacturer and then they have the right to do whatever they want since you won't own the equipment.

RustyNails said:
What if Sony's competitor gives some donation?
Well that didn't take long.

Reminds me of the guy that once suggested MS buys up their own stock to give themeselves e-peen on the chartz.

Anyway, I doubt any competitor would donate to this. Even if someone like MS did give some positive attention to the person who hacked the Windows phone (or something along those lines).

OldJadedGamer said:
Or it will be like your cable box where you just lease it from the manufacturer and then they have the right to do whatever they want since you won't own the equipment.
If the price is right. . . although they can always hike it up later. Crafty bastards.

axdenied

Neo Member
How is he going to pay for the 10K+ bills he's racking up ?

Also, in the worst case scenario, what's at stake for him ? Jail time ?

hamchan

alr1ghtstart said:
Yep, exactly. That's why it's so hard to sympathise with him. He could have worked under multiple pseudonyms like Dark Alex did and still achieve his goal of freeing the PS3 but it seems like he wanted prestige and fame too.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Oh, how did I know Mama Robotnik was the OP before even clicking on it? :p

No sympathy for this guy, he's too full of himself... I would have been a little more sympathetic if he hadn't made this entire thing so public. It's his fault he's in this mess, he should sort this out himself instead of begging the internet. But he knows he's like god for the internet nerds, they'd sell their right nut, left kidney and their newborn child to help this guy out. Clever guy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CadetMahoney said:
Reminds me of the guy that once suggested MS buys up their own stock to give themeselves e-peen on the chartz.

What the.. :lol

CadetMahoney said:
Anyway, I doubt any competitor would donate to this. Even if someone like MS did give some positive attention to the person who hacked the Windows phone (or something along those lines).

IIRC someone at the WM7 team tweeted a message to Geohot about how they'd give him a free WM7 phone to play around with if he wanted to have a go at hacking it

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Screw him. If he had more than two firing synapses, he would have released it anonymously.

My money's going to the Robocop statue.

DonMigs85

Ploid 3.0 said:
No they are suing him for releasing things for other people to install and build on worldwide.
Plus he never "owned" the rights to the system's OS and firmware in the first place.

[Nintex]

CadetMahoney said:
Well that didn't take long.

If the price is right. . . although they can always hike it up later. Crafty bastards.
I bet troll Ono and John Riccitiello are transfering funds as we speak.

bishoptl said:
Screw him. If he had more than two firing synapses, he would have released it anonymously.

My money's going to the Robocop statue.

No need to! It's already hit the $50k goal! Now it's just a matter of convincing the city of Detroit! =O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom