• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 10th anniversary of PlayStation 4 in Japan

nial

Gold Member

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the release of PlayStation®4 in Japan🎉🎈

Thanks to all of you who have played with us a lot, we have reached a major milestone of 10 years.
I am always grateful for your help!

Please tell us your memories of #PS4 with #PS410th anniversary🎮
cZMq7k3.jpg
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (now known as Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.) originally released the PlayStation 4 in Japan in February 22, 2014, 10 years ago.
Share your best memories with the console, GAF!
I wanted to include a full picture with each first-party game released at retail in Japan, but I couldn't do it at this moment. I may edit this thread in some days, though. :)

nial

Gold Member
Yes, I know it was released in some regions in late 2013, but no one made a thread about it, and this launch is still important given that it's a Japanese console.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

PS4 was a great generation when it comes to games (Bloodborne was THE killer app) but I didn't like the console itself. It was loud and lacked a lot of features from the PS3. XMB was a better UI and Dualshock 4 had the poorest battery life of all Dualshocks. Amazing achievement though selling close to 120 million units, bouncing off the fledgling PS3. I'll never forget when they announced PS4 and what great momentum and excitement it was around the brand. Fun times.

SkylineRKR

PS4 launch was great. I remember not sustaining my pre order as the store suddenly charged an amount up front and I never responded. But then I did get an invoice that my console was ready for pickup. So I drove there, and took it home along with Killzone SF, Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14. I downloaded Resogun as well.

Killzone 2 SF was stunning to look at, but it wasn't much more than that. I ended up completing it and past the honeymoon phase I disliked it and sold it.

Battlefield 4 was awesome when it worked (it crashed a ton, there was rubberbanding on some maps etc). At some nights there was no problem. It was probably the last time I played with real life friends. I'd say it was peak BF and probably the best launch game.

FIFA 14 was actually the last FIFA I played. And the next-gen edition was one of the best. I ended up purchasing NFS Rivals too and liked it a ton as well. EA was doing well back then.

The console itself felt sort of cheap compared to the PS3. Sony clearly cut corners and doubled down on gaming, which was what they needed to do after the PS3.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I remember when people called them Pen Drives. Those were the days LOL

I was a freshman in college when people started using "Pen Drives"
I had NO idea what the fuck they were talking about. I was still using 3½-inch floppy

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Playroom was amazing! KILLER APP! I was pissed when they got rid of it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The day PS4 was announced, it was a light in a dark tunnel... It meant for me the beginning of the end of a horrible time in my life.

Thank you ps4 for bringing me great games and it was the only console that brought me 2 of my best games of all time... Gravity Rush remastered and Gravity Rush 2.... I will fondly remember the great ps4.

I was a freshman in college when people started using "Pen Drives"
I had NO idea what the fuck they were talking about. I was still using 3½-inch floppy
I was working for the local council at the time (like 2006) when someone in the office talked about a Pen Drive I had no idea what they were on about LOL.

Skifi28

Great console towards its twilight years, but launch was barren and I just hate how loud it can get. Really surprising how it sold so much.

I remember getting one and getting BLOD, what a crazy launch experience. Good news is that I got a replacement, but regardless a great console. I didn't really start to fully appreciate it until probably like 2017, but Bloodborne was definitely among my favorite titles.

angelgs90

The last great Sony PS console.

Then they switched development towards GaaS, closed JAPANStudio, and begin to embrace multiplatform target for their first party games.

Top Bottom