• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Count Dookkake said:
They're still his.

I'm not talking legally. He owns the copyright, sure. Do you think Spielberg would be pissed if Lucas went around fucking with the Indy trilogy?

Count Dookkake said:
They're still his.

5 wasn't "his" and he prolly hates the fact that the movie with the lowest amount of his input, is also the one loved the most.

"Why can't they love me like they love Irwin?"

DeadTrees

Morn said:
It's been said in this thread, but you can get official versions of the non-SE Original Trilogy on DVD. They're non-anamorphic transfers from the 1994 Laserdisc set, but they're STILL superior to VHS and won't degrade.
Great, except they're all out of print now, and used prices will most likely be going into crazytown territory in a few months.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Solo said:
That already happened.

Removing boom mics and glass reflections (unintended errors) are not comparable to what Lucas has done to SW. He can fuck around all he wants with Indy 4 though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
alr1ghtstart said:
I'm not talking legally. He owns the copyright, sure. Do you think Spielberg would be pissed if Lucas went around fucking with the Indy trilogy?

Lucas got Irvin Kershner's permission to alter Empire Strikes Back. And Lucas was basically an uncredited co-director for Return of the Jedi. And frankly, those two directors don't have the clout Spielberg has. Very few directors in Hollywood have the right of final cut.

Solo

alr1ghtstart said:
Removing boom mics and glass reflections (unintended errors) are not comparable to what Lucas has done to SW. He can fuck around all he wants with Indy 4 though.

No, he fucked around when he made Spielberg do Temple of Doom.

Shame they couldn't redo episodes 1-3. I really like the atmosphere of the films and i think they had the potential to be great. Just get someone in there who can write decent dialogue and don't leave one person with pretty much all the power over the project.

alr1ghtstart said:

I'm not talking legally, either. Lucas exerts final creative control over each of the SW films.

As for your hypothesized scenario, perhaps, but so what?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
He should go back and "fix" American Graffiti while he's at it. Why leave any of his movies alone?

Medalion

Banned
I am not reading the entire digitalbits article

I quickly skimnmed through for some minor changes

but nothing too damaging so far...

If we end up seeing Hayden's face somehow digitally inserted at the end of ROTJ during the unmasking with Luke, as much as I like Hayden, I will flip out

Always-honest said:
Backpacks_thrown.gif

Yea Im the one THROWING the backpacks

Prine

Banned
ROTJ did feature the most complete ending to a saga. Up there with all the greats.

Vader/Sidious/Luke moments are cinematic classics.

All the Lucas hate cannot remove that.

Medalion said:
The final duel between Luke and Vader I heard was directed by him or at least had strong input on how it should work

He had a strong input on how EVERYTHING in ROTJ would work.

Ewoks?

Leia saying the "I know." line?

Han becoming a romantic?

That all reeks of Lucas.

Marquand was Director In Name Only.

Anticitizen One said:
I challenge anyone to find a lame photo or piece of artwork from ROTJ:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/b2/ReturnOfTheJediPoster1983.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.reverseshot.com/files/images/pre-issue22/jedi.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ewok&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1684l2935l0l6046l5l4l0l0l0l0l324l1135l2-2.2l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1600&bih=1099&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi[/url]

EDIT: Beaten

Solo said:
No, he fucked around when he made Spielberg do Temple of Doom.

Spielberg had as much to do with Temple of Doom as Lucas, and freely admits it is amongst his least favorite films that he has done. He also says he was going through a very rough time in his own life, which came through on the screen.

That said, Temple of Doom gets too much hate. Other than the sequence where Indy is under the influence of the mind control drug, it's pretty damn fun film.

desertdroog

Fuzzy said:
He should go back and "fix" American Graffiti while he's at it. Why leave any of his movies alone?

The HORROR if it ever came to pass...Think of the sequel and all that is wrong with More American Graffiti and we would be half-way there.

Medalion

Banned
ROTJ for the longest time was my fave Star Wars, it still is to a certain degree but my appreciation of ESB has gone up a lot in the past decade

richiek

He did fix American Graffiti

title_american_grafitti_blu-ray.jpg

The digital matte painting of the sky was not in the original version of the film.

Angry Fork

disappeared said:
I wonder how Lynch's RotJ would have turned out.
This is in the top 3 biggest 'i wish that happened' kind of thing within the movie business, where a director passed on something or whatever. It could've helped Lynch fund so much more stuff after, it's not like Star Wars was some sell out project either, I just don't get it. Maybe he thought he wouldn't be able to do it right or something but damn I wish I could've seen that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
richiek said:
He did fix American Graffiti

title_american_grafitti_blu-ray.jpg

The digital matte painting of the sky was not in the original version of the film.
Even THX1138 got the special edition treatment.

richiek

Replicant said:
As long as he doesn't touch Indiana Jones trilogy, he can fuck up Star Wars as much as he wants. It's too late to stop him from fucking up Star Wars anyway.

The glass between Indy and the cobra in Raiders was digitally erased.

Morn

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
He had a strong input on how EVERYTHING in ROTJ would work.

Ewoks?

Leia saying the "I know." line?

Han becoming a romantic?

That all reeks of Lucas.

Marquand was Director In Name Only.

Marquand was horrible with the actors and couldn't get them to respond and had absolutely no idea how to handle special effects. A few years ago, Irvin Kirshner did a magazine interview where he said that Jedi was basically directed by his assistant director from Empire and George Lucas.

Medalion

Banned
Morn said:
Marquand was horrible with the actors and couldn't get them to respond and had absolutely no idea how to handle special effects. A few years ago, Irvin Kirshner did a magazine interview where he said that Jedi was basically directed by his assistant director from Empire and George Lucas.
I'd believe this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom