• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should really stop giving a crap, I love the original cuts of the original trilogy and that's all I'll ever need.

About RotJ, I still love that movie despite its faults. The Ewoks should have been Wookies, Han Solo's character changing, etc. But it still is above and beyond any of the prequels, and ends the trilogy on a very high note. But hey that's just me. The first Star Wars is the weakest of the trilogy in my opinion, but that's for different reasons.

Replicant

richiek said:
The glass between Indy and the cobra in Raiders was digitally erased.

:/

Oh well, at least it's not as drastic as Grodo shooting first or changing how Anakin looks at the end of ROTJ.

Morn said:
Marquand was horrible with the actors and couldn't get them to respond and had absolutely no idea how to handle special effects. A few years ago, Irvin Kirshner did a magazine interview where he said that Jedi was basically directed by his assistant director from Empire and George Lucas.

Good grief.

I actually face palmed and rubbed my forehead after reading that.

Morn

Banned
Kershner on the SE of Empire:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/empire-strikes-back-director-irvin-kershner
How did you like the changes made to Empire for the 1997 theatrical rerelease?My film is the way I cut it. The other films were changed - a lot. My film, I can tell you just what was done. The Snow Creature [Wampa] was added, which was good for merchandising. It was okay, but I could have lived without it.

When I went up to San Anselmo, California, to see the work in progress on the Special Edition, we looked at the film, and I was making some notes about color changes and sound - never about cutting. No cut changes. And we came to the scene where the group is on Cloud City, walking through a corridor. When I had originally shot it, I was not happy, and I told George I didn't like the set because it was just a corridor and we should have had round openings so you see the city as they walked through. It would have cost a lot of money to open it up and put miniatures out there, and it would have taken more time to build it, and you're always fighting time.

So, I'm sitting in the screening room looking at the scene. They walk down the corridor, and here are the openings and there is the city. I was shocked. I said, "George, look!" And he said, "Yeah. It's a gift for you." But those were the only changes.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/469105/10_films_that_were_rumoured_to_be_ghostdirected.html

But what of Return Of The Jedi? It was credited to Richard Marquand, who would go on to helm Jagged Edge before his death. Yet, before Star Wars entered his life had a low-key resume. The Welsh director, however, was rumoured to not get on particularly well with the actors on Jedi, and according to an interview back in 2004 with Irvin Kershner, Lucas and Kershner's assistant director actually took over in that department.

Edit: Just looked it up. It was in the May 2004 issue of a magazine called Shock Cinema where Kershner said that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Medalion said:
ROTJ for the longest time was my fave Star Wars, it still is to a certain degree but my appreciation of ESB has gone up a lot in the past decade

Pretty much this.

Growing up ROTJ was my favorite because of the space battles. Although I didn't love the Ewoks I thought they were cool and I didn't know anyone hated them until I was introduced to the internet in the mid 90s.

As I got older I grew to appreciate ESB much more and now it's my favorite, followed closely by Star Wars.

I personally like all the movies. I find a few parts of 1,2 and 3 cringe worthy (notably the dreadful love banter, ugh) but overall they're watchable, fun and have some exciting moments. There are certainly much worse films. I still count the original trilogy as 3 of my favorite films of all time but I don't take this stuff so seriously, they're just movies. Lucas can do what he wants with them. If I don't want a new version I won't pay. No sweat.

I still have the laser disc boxed set ($300 at the time, LD was expensive) as well as 2 versions on DVD. I pre-ordered the Blu-rays the day they were announced. Can't wait.

I never understood why Lucas decided against killing Han in Return of the Jedi. It's said that he did it for merchandising reasons, but as long as Han existed at ALL in the third movie then he could be merchandised, right? What does it matter (in terms of toy sales) if he dies at the end of the film? It's not like there would have been more films after ROTJ, and, to the best of my knowledge, they don't make figurines based on the novels.

Basically, I can't think of a good reason why Lucas would change ROTC for merchandising reasons. Toys would be made of Han regardless if he died.

Summary Man said:
I never understood why Lucas decided against killing Han in Return of the Jedi. It's said that he did it for merchandising reasons, but as long as Han existed at ALL in the third movie then he could be merchandised, right? What does it matter (in terms of toy sales) if he dies at the end of the film? It's not like there would have been more films after ROTJ, and, to the best of my knowledge, they don't make figurines based on the novels.

Basically, I can't think of a good reason why Lucas would change ROTC for merchandising reasons. Toys would be made of Han regardless if he died.

Conversely, what would be the point of killing him?

An emotional re-focuser for Leia and Luke?

To bring out the Force in Leia?

I'm not following...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
ryutaro's mama said:
I like how Lucas has denied it for years, yet if it wasn't true, what happened to Marquand's career, post ROTJ?

Lucas took the high road and didn't want to drag Marquand's name through the mud (he died a few years after ROTJ).

Dead Man

When the big idea for the creatures in a film is to cut a wookie in half, you know you are in trouble. RotJ has some awesome scenes, but as a whole it is rubbish.

RaidenZR

Aeonin said:
Now if they could just replace him in the OT.

No. The problem was not the fact that they used a puppet. It was that the puppet used for Phantom Menace was downright laughable in terms of portraying a consistent resemblance.

McNum

RaidenZR said:
No. The problem was not the fact that they used a puppet. It was that the puppet used for Phantom Menace was downright laughable in terms of portraying a consistent resemblance.
Well that and the set in ESB was pretty much made to be used for Yoda. It was more Mark Hamill playing on a swampy puppeteer stage than a puppet in a human stage. Or bluescreen.

Xamdou

All the changes Gearge Lucas did are all extra's to me. I just want all the movies in Blu-ray's 1080p HD glory in one package!

Dead

well not really...yet
Xamdou said:
All the changes Gearge Lucas did are all extra's to me. I just want all the movies in Blu-ray's 1080p HD glory in one package!
I dont even care about the changes to ANH (and hell I prefer the SE of ESB)

I just hate that what was my favorite SW movie as a kid, ROTJ, has this horribly out of place crap added to it

akira28

RoboPlato said:
It sounds like all of these changes will be for the better. Let's hope Han shoots first again and Hayden is no longer Vader's force ghost at the end of RotJ.

Here's hoping. Anyway, which do you think Fett would choose, a lucrative contract to kill George Lucas, or saving the life of his creator?

Medalion

Banned
ROTJ Yoda ftw haw haw

rotj_yoda1.jpg

markot

Banned
How could anyone prefer the prequel Yoda to the good yoda in the old movies >_<?

Let me guess, you people are under 20?

markot said:
How could anyone prefer the prequel Yoda to the good yoda in the old movies >_<?

Let me guess, you people are under 20?

Because old movie Yoda looks like garbage. I liked the old movies as much as anyone but Yoda DID NOT AGE WELL. He looks terrible

Tron 2.0

A little off topic, but there is a series of YouTube videos where someone has gone through the original trilogy and basically cataloged the making of the films. I'm not doing a very good job of explaining, but they've done things like insert deleted scenes, show alternate cuts, comment on things deleted from the script, etc.

The one I was watching was Empire Strikes Back, but I think the person may have done all three films. Someone on GAF posted a link to it maybe six months back.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and could point me in the right direction? I'd love to find it again.

EDIT: I think I found it. YouTube user named jambedavdar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbkvK8ggMbE

It's amazing, if you haven't seen it.

Zoramon089 said:
Because old movie Yoda looks like garbage. I liked the old movies as much as anyone but Yoda DID NOT AGE WELL. He looks terrible
I don't know how anyone can believe that. ESB Yoda has a wit and charm lost in the CGI iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom