• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas would have killed Luke in Ep VIII if he made the recent trilogy

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Another thing stolen from the OT. It worked in ANH but didn’t in TLJ because of execution. There just wasn’t any build up and it felt confusing. At least we know with Obi-Wan that he fell heroically in battle, Luke just fizzled out after a Skype call because he wasn’t heroic enough to face Kylo in person. Very poorly done.
how would he have got to kylo in the first place? Also the reason Kylo ren was made was because of his own bad intentions, why would he lift the light saber against his nephew again when it already caused the worst case scenerio in the first place already? Him fighting Kylo with the hologram was to prove a point to his nephew as well as be the "new hope" for the resistance as he gave them time to flee.

Rickyiez

When it became so hard to satisfy the fans with the sequels or prequels, one might start to think the original trilogy was actually overrated and viewed from a nostalgic tinted glass

Okay, how does that change how poorly planned, written and executed the ST was, or how terrible Luke's appearance and death was executed? The Last Jedi didn't break the fandom in half because he died, but how and why he died, which is something that can be applied to many other things as well, like the characters of Rey and Finn, the treatment and deaths of Han and Leia and the reappearance of Palpatine (Fortnite anyone?).

People need to stop pretending that 'Star Wars fans hate everything' and accept that, regardless of how you feel about the movies, Disney undeniably made a giant mess of things by not planning out their trilogy and not treating the OG characters with the respect many fans felt they deserved.

Ememee

When it became so hard to satisfy the fans with the sequels or prequels, one might start to think the original trilogy was actually overrated and viewed from a nostalgic tinted glass

I always call bullshit on “YoU lIkEd tHe OT cuZ nOsTaLgIA”.

I got into the OT as a kid in the 90s during their EU/Shadows Of The Empire push. Two years later TPM comes out, I’m still very much a kid and even my dumbass could tell something was different and missing.

This shit isn’t rocket science, OT was just as much a silly kids movie but due to a lot of circumstances and factors out of George’s control it fell into something serendipitously magical.

The Prequels sucked ASS but even I’ve come to appreciate the memes and I 100% believe peoples affection for them.

The ST started off strong but they (KK, Iger, RJ, JJ) fumbled hard. There’s still some cool shit there, and like the prequels, affection will grow. Maybe?

And again, a lot of the fanbase liked Mandalorian/clone wars/rogue one (I didn’t really like the latter) so I guess my point is some of it’s been good but a lot’s been bad. That’s ok, I spose.

sol_bad

I think you are looking too deeply into it. Obi-Wan could see that Luke had made it to the Falcon safely, and perhaps knew that Vader was going to utterly destroy him, so he smiled and let himself go. He just accepted his fate and his role in the story. It makes for a cool scene, adds to the lore and is a respectable end to the physical form of the character. I’ve never had an issue with that scene, it is used to illustrate the mystical side of the Force in action.

However after the prequels it doesn’t sit well that Vader wouldn’t know that Jedi vanish after they accept their death, he must have seen many of his brethren suffer the same fate during the Clone Wars. Revisionist storytelling once again.
I think its plausible that Vader being on the Dark side has no concept of Jedi Vanishing. That may not have applied to him. Evil destroys everything, eventually itself, because its a means to an end. Also the Emperor has an obsession with living forever (at least in the EU) so death is not something a Sith would embrace as as a Jedi might.
Obi-Wan knew his time was up, he clung on to life to see Luke to his destiny. As for Vader being confused about Obi-Wans vanishing, well Obi-Wan himself got the news from Qui-Gon much later after his passing. It was something new and not well know among Jedi I imagine, something that Qui-Gon figured out personally. I would say Vader was probably terrified about what the ramifications of what Obi-Wans vanishing would mean for him and the Empire in the long run.

I'm looking into it too deeply?
Yet you guys are more than happy to make up head cannon and reference the EU to back up your own bias?

I'd imagine projecting yourself millions of light years away would cause a much higher strain on the body and soul than swinging a light saber 10 times. Makes more logical sense to me anyway.

Sorcerer

I'm looking into it too deeply?
Yet you guys are more than happy to make up head cannon and reference the EU to back up your own bias?

I'd imagine projecting yourself millions of light years away would cause a much higher strain on the body and soul than swinging a light saber 10 times. Makes more logical sense to me anyway.
Well George himself claimed he had it all figured out, yet clearly he did not. He ended the first trilogy with a second Death Star and Ewoks (to pad out Jedi) Lol!!! Also midichlorians takes Kenobi's explanation of The Force to Luke in a New Hope and shits all over it. George had no clue. So I make some inferences, of course thats natural, I have to give in to imagination a little, just like one does when watching a movie.

Last edited:

Dazrael

how would he have got to kylo in the first place? Also the reason Kylo ren was made was because of his own bad intentions, why would he lift the light saber against his nephew again when it already caused the worst case scenerio in the first place already? Him fighting Kylo with the hologram was to prove a point to his nephew as well as be the "new hope" for the resistance as he gave them time to flee.

Well he had his X-Wing parked under the sea, that was always his way back to civilisation if he needed it. However it needed to be there for Rey for when she conveniently trashes Kylo’s ship in TROS.

He didn’t even need to raise his saber against Kylo. It would have made it more convincing if he went there to confront Kylo, even if it was just to talk him down. It was just a cheap way of offing such an important character to the franchise.

VulcanRaven

I didn't like that they killed Luke. They shouldn't have killed the original trio. Every movie of the new trilogy left a bad taste in my mouth because of it.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Well he had his X-Wing parked under the sea, that was always his way back to civilisation if he needed it. However it needed to be there for Rey for when she conveniently trashes Kylo’s ship in TROS.

He didn’t even need to raise his saber against Kylo. It would have made it more convincing if he went there to confront Kylo, even if it was just to talk him down. It was just a cheap way of offing such an important character to the franchise.
if he went to talk how did that go when he was a hologram? He would have and was blown away...he would have been killed instantly and then the rebellion would have all been killed as well because they would have been found due to him not killing time no pun intended

Last edited:

Dazrael

if he went to talk how did that go when he was a hologram? He would have and was blown away...he would have been killed instantly and then the rebellion would have all been killed as well because they would have been found due to him not killing time no pun intended

You don’t know that he would have been killed, if he was powerful enough to project his essence (or hologram as you say) across the galaxy then it stands to reason that he might have been able to withstand the barrage that was waiting for him. He was a powerful Jedi Grandmaster after all.

Regardless the entire story was lame so the minutiae doesn’t really matter. He deserved a better send off than what happened. The Star Wars story ended in ROTJ, it was effectively a fairy tale and they got their fairy tale ending. Anything afterwards is just fan fiction.

Wait, so they're claiming now that one of the most hated plot points, that made zero sense with the established narrative or character, in the story we know they had no plan for, was written by multiple different people, changing while filming, that George Luca's and Mark Hamill themselves have criticised and strongly implied they were unhappy about, was actually what George Lucas planned all along?

If true, that is one of the most contrived and convoluted pieces of random coincidence I have ever heard of. That's full on infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters bollocks.

No, I just cannot buy that. That's too insanely unlikely to have happened by pure chance, and we know it wasn't on purpose.

The simplest explanation is that this new book is lying, or at the very least bending the truth to the point it's completely misrepresenting things.

In a time when the dictionary can't be trusted, I sure as hell don't trust Disney not to be trying to pull a fast one here, especially not given the state of their financials and total collapse of the Star Wars fanbase.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

You don’t know that he would have been killed, if he was powerful enough to project his essence (or hologram as you say) across the galaxy then it stands to reason that he might have been able to withstand the barrage that was waiting for him. He was a powerful Jedi Grandmaster after all.

Regardless the entire story was lame so the minutiae doesn’t really matter. He deserved a better send off than what happened. The Star Wars story ended in ROTJ, it was effectively a fairy tale and they got their fairy tale ending. Anything afterwards is just fan fiction.
Just because he was poweeful wnough to project does not mean he'd be powerful enough to stand up to those big mother gunners. He probably would again be blown away, that or not being able to stall long enough for the rebellion to get away

V4skunk

Banned
Luke is a pussy in the new films.
In the Expanded Universe he is a living god that can fuck everything up.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgPrime

Banned
And all we got was the black guy who gets his heroic death denied by an egoistic, dumb and total useless chinese girl that prefers to let 1000 people die for just a kiss.

And that my friends... is called "Female Empowerment" - i call that the typical irrational behaviour of women in stress situations.

Last edited:
Killing Luke off wasn't the problem. The pointlessness of the way they did it, and the postmodern 'deconstruction' (read: fuck your childhood) of his character was.

DKehoe

It'll never exist but I'd love for a documentary to be made about Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney and the development of the sequel trilogy. I don't hate those films anywhere close to as much as others seem to but the development of them sounds so chaotic, bizarrely so for something that a huge corporation had massively invested in.

I also really wish they would make Lucas' original plans for the sequel trilogy public.

Top Bottom