• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George W. Bush: Media is Indispensable to Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Banned
Former President George W. Bush said Monday that the media is “indispensable to democracy,” a break from the position of his fellow Republican, President Donald Trump, who has called the press “the enemy of the American people.”

“I consider the media to be indispensable to democracy. That we need the media to hold people like me to account,” Bush told Matt Lauer, anchor of NBC’s “Today” show. “I mean, power can be very addictive and it can be corrosive and it's important for the media to call to account people who abuse their power, whether it be here or elsewhere.”

“One of the things I spent a lot time doing was trying to convince a person like Vladimir Putin, for example, to accept the notion of an independent press,” Bush said. “And it's kind of hard to, you know, tell others to have an independent, free press when we're not willing to have one ourselves.”

Despite his unwillingness to support Trump at the ballot box, Bush said Trump should be given a chance to act on his stated desire to bring the country together. The former president said his Republican successor faces a tougher media environment than he ever did.

“I think you have to take the man for his word that he wants to unify the country, and we’ll see whether he’s able to do so,” Bush said. “It's hard to unify the country with the news media being so split up. When I was president, you know, you mattered a lot more because there was like three of you and now there's all kinds of information being bombarded out and people can say things anonymously. It's just a different world.

Source

Ok great. How about calling out Trump directly since it's so important?

"The media is super vital to democracy but lets give the guy attacking at every moments notice a chance...."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Never thought I'd see the day that George W. Bush would lecture another President...and be right.

He may have been a bad President, but he at least acted like a President, and not... whatever the fuck Trump is doing.

Wilsongt

I hope the Bushs continue to throw shade at Trump.

At least the Bushs who actually did something.
jeb:( is too much of a loser to throw decent shade.

That will do pig, that will do..

Edit: I actually have been saying this since before Trump that W isn't as bad as it seemed during the 2000's. For the most part he was naive, got served with the worst adversities of our nation since Pearl harbor and was surrounded by hawks and fuckfaces of all kinds.

You want him to attack Trump, its not going to happen

Oh I know it's not going to happen. Which is why I find his statement to be a hollow platitude.

You have someone actively attacking our democracy. These "patriots" should put their nation before their party.

ponchocomp.jpg

It's pretty bad when this guy is lecturing you.

Pyrokai

Trump is probably the best thing to happen to W's legacy.

Dude wont be the go to president to hate for this generation.

All this talk about legacy as if we'll somehow be okay in the future and realize what we did looking back. With a state-run media looking seemingly more likely, propoganda abound, and education on the downfall, I can't help but think we'll never know. I dunno. I'm depressed as fuck.

Bush was a C student doing a job meant for valedictorians. Not an idiot, just not up to the level the job requires. Trump is a legitimate moron.

Wilsongt

That will do pig, that will do..

Edit: I actually have been saying this since before Trump that W isn't as bad as it seemed during the 2000's. For the most part we was naive, served with the worst adversities of our nation since Pearl harbor and was surrounded by hawks and fuckfaces of all kinds.

Republicans were still bad, but not nearly as psychotic then as they are now.

A black man in the white house really turned the dial on this country back 100 years in terms of intelligence and empathy among its citizens.

LOL is this W's redemption arc? I can't tell.

If hell indeed does exist there will be a special place for Georgie boy and his ilk. That's where he'll find his redemption arc.

Georgie boy was one of the first to embrace policy on fake news. Turned out those nukes in Iraq, was about as fake news as it can get.

And what's the death toll? Thanks President Bush, one of the first big time curators of fake news.

There's not much difference Trump is also basing his decisions based on bullshit too.

Oersted

We are in a timeline where 1. Bush is right and 2. acknowledgement of one of the most basic democratic principles is an attack at the US President

FyreWulff

Go all the way, Bush. You can't even run for President again, and neither should your brother.

Sadly, I'm expecting him to show up at the RNC for Trump's re-election run.

Garlador

Go all the way, Bush. You can't even run for President again, and neither should your brother.

Sadly, I'm expecting him to show up at the RNC for Trump's re-election run.

Say what you will about the Bush family, but I think every last one of them didn't even vote for Trump last election. They were vocal in their criticism and condemnation of him from start to finish and none of them gave him an endorsement.

... 'Cept for Billy Bush.

Pretty sure that already happened with Cheney.

Most folks generally acquire a new found sense of wisdom, unfortunately after they erroneously let hundreds of soldiers die based on nothing and god knows how many thousands of civilians.

Trump hasn't even come close to being a catastrophe like George Bush yet. Not even close. Give him time though.

I hate that I live in a world where Bush isn't my least favorite president in my lifetime. I always thought that was the bottom and we could only climb up. I miss the Bush era Republicans, a statement my teenage self wouldn't believe I would ever make. Trump is the best thing to happen to Bushes legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom