• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So much for the anti-Trump fury that I keep hearing about everywhere. I am really starting to question if there are enough Americans out there furious over the Trump administration. Maybe there's more people in favour of it than not.

Not

Banned
Yeah, it's all a bust. White people only elected Barack Obama as part of their fantasy that they're good people. And then they went crazy because they elected Barack Obama. Trump isn't going anywhere, and neither is the GOP.

Lenz44

Banned
Bah, I need to stay away from the other forums I visit for a bit. Today has really emboldened the people on the right and they have been coming out of the woodwork today and made it a dumpster fire of shitty memes and gloating.

So much for the anti-Trump fury that I keep hearing about everywhere. I am really starting to question if there are enough Americans out there furious over the Trump administration. Maybe there's more people in favour of it than not.

Yeah, it's all a bust. White people only elected Barack Obama as part of their fantasy that they're good people. And then they went crazy because they elected Barack Obama. Trump isn't going anywhere, and neither is the GOP.

These might look like hot takes, but they aren't far from the truth.

Biggest problem is the vast majority of progressive voters aren't touched by the ills in society. You also have a great deal of faux progressives in among the suburbanites.

2018 is gonna be a bloodbath, the only way America actually changes is if a certain segment of the populace feels pain for a long time. I'm partially looking in the mirror here.

Defeatist gaf showing up in force

Defeatist, when you keep taking L's. Where is the progressive win lately? I'll wait.

Bah, I need to stay away from the other forums I visit for a bit. Today has really emboldened the people on the right and they have been coming out of the woodwork today and made it a dumpster fire of shitty memes and gloating.

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. If the shoe were on the other foot and Democrats were barely hanging onto their strong districts we'd be seeing panic and disaster.

I will never understand the liberal mind. I also don't understand the remarkable hubris of people on the right. You achieve a hail mary win of the Presidency while losing the popular vote by millions and suddenly Trump is guaranteed two terms AND Pence right after? Not even an attempt to reach out and win over voters that you'd think you would need in the next election?

Eusis

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. If the shoe were on the other foot and Democrats were barely hanging onto their strong districts we'd be seeing panic and disaster.

I will never understand the liberal mind. I also don't understand the remarkable hubris of people on the right. You achieve a hail mary win of the Presidency while losing the popular vote by millions and suddenly Trump is guaranteed two terms AND Pence right after? Not even an attempt to reach out and win over voters that you'd think you would need in the next election?
Man, I'm glad the forums I go to are more likely to have the panicking Democrats (or at least Democrat associating) because that shit he went through would drive me mad.

And that IS part of what drives me mad with the right or more right leaning, that a lot of them will be so god damn smug about a victory that by all means is weak. Maybe it plays into that sports mentality some have, that they barely win and so it's like a close game they won, ignoring it's a culture shift AWAY from them and isn't some sport? I dunno, my stance has been "not surprising, but glad it's been so close."

Trickster

Defeatist, when you keep taking L's. Where is the progressive win lately? I'll wait.

When people see democrats coming much closer to winning than they ever do, in places that they never win. And then start talking as if all is lost and Trump is assured a second term, then those people are defeatist.

When people see democrats coming much closer to winning than they ever do, in places that they never win. And then start talking as if all is lost and Trump is assured a second term, then those people are defeatist.

Who is talking about Trump winning a 2nd term, I sure as shit wasn't.

Couldn't the same be said for Trump actually winning in places that they never win?

Point is, State/Local positions matter. Trump is a fuck up, where is the W since 12?

You also say defeatist, more was put into this election than any other, no? Why is it all the sudden going to be better in a year?

Pryce

These might look like hot takes, but they aren't far from the truth.

Biggest problem is the vast majority of progressive voters aren't touched by the ills in society. You also have a great deal of faux progressives in among the suburbanites.

2018 is gonna be a bloodbath, the only way America actually changes is if a certain segment of the populace feels pain for a long time. I'm partially looking in the mirror here.

Where the centrist Dem win, lately? Lost white house, congress, senate, governorships, thousands of state seats...

I swear to God, both progressives and centrist/liberals have failed recently. The infighting is horrible.

Who is talking about Trump winning a 2nd term, I sure as shit wasn't.

Couldn't the same be said for Trump actually winning in places that they never win?

Point is, State/Local positions matter. Trump is a fuck up, where is the W since 12?

You also say defeatist, more was put into this election than any other, no? Why is it all the sudden going to be better in a year?

I don't know what W you're looking for when the only elections being held are to replace Republicans going to serve the Trump administration. You looking for a W in that Alabama senate race in December because Jeff Sessions left his seat?

You're just not going to get instant gratification in politics because it's a 2-4 year process. There's going to be governor races in NJ and VA this year, that's it.

You're just not going to get instant gratification in politics because it's a 2-4 year process.
Okay, where is the W?

I think it has been 2-4 years since 08 and we have been taking L's since. It is just like the above poster said, white people got out for Obama to assuage some guilt and then immediately went back home. I can count a dozen family members who did exactly that. Huge Obama supporters, oh yah hes great, and now voting for Trump.

Is it defeatist to be like, yep this is what I'm used to when you have been taking L's for nearly eight years?

Eusis

Where the centrist Dem win, lately? Lost white house, congress, senate, governorships, thousands of state seats...

I swear to God, both progressives and centrist/liberals have failed recently. The infighting is horrible.
It seemed to me that was a combination of the far right successfully vilifying Hillary ENOUGH to diminish votes in key areas, some nasty gerrymandering and attempts at voter suppression, and some plain old momentum from voters in the middle trying to change things after 8 years of a democrat presidency, since politics is habitually silly that way. Now that there IS a Republican in office, those people closer to the middle will either flip or be apathetic as he fucks up and makes voting for that party unappealing, and becomes the scapegoat for everything wrong they perceive with the country.

Okay, where is the W?

I think it has been 2-4 years since 08 and we have been taking L's since. It is just like the above poster said, white people got out for Obama to assuage some guilt and then immediately went back home. I can count a dozen family members who did exactly that. Huge Obama supporters, oh yah hes great, and now voting for Trump.

Is it defeatist to be like, yep this is what I'm used to when you have been taking L's for nearly eight years?

Someone in NY, back in May, won a legislative seat in a district that Trump won by 60%. There is your win.

Okay, where is the W?

Well, you won in 2012 for starters. Secondly, it's pretty ridiculous to expect good outcomes when you control the White House in the midterms. There's 80 years of history that shows losses are to be expected. The severity was high but we live in a turbulent political period. 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2014 were all wave elections when the past has been more stable.

I have my own life in Canada and I can't waste time endlessly arguing with people here as it's unbelievably stressful.

It's easy to say "don't be so defeatist about the Republican party's stranglehold on politics" when you don't actually live in America.

I bet if you actually lived here and had to deal with the consequences of Republican policy you'd be singing a different tune.

Someone in NY, back in May, won a legislative seat in a district that Trump won by 60%. There is your win.

Damn, good thing we got that win, shit was getting close:

qyynx9g.png

commedieu

Banned
Good. This way they can't blame the Democrats when they start dying because of no healthcare and food stamps. Hopefully they will admit their mistakes and turn on the gop?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess he lost. Not a bad showing though.

Good. This way they can't blame the Democrats when they start dying because of no healthcare and food stamps. Hopefully they will admit their mistakes and turn on the gop?
Some will, but enough? Doubtful. The effect would have to be pretty large, so as to penetrate the partisan bias.

Trakdown

Nope. The Republican voter mantra is always that no matter how bad it is under the GOP, it would always be worse under the Democrats. And in the case of healthcare or food stamps, they'll blame the failures in those systems on their usual suspects. - immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who are abusing the system, as Fox News told them.

Steel

Banned
Mmhmm. Evidence is pointing that way.

Can we admit going after centrist Republicans is a shitty waste of time now?

Who don't you think the dems have that they would have if they went left? Especially when it comes to this district. Who do you think is fence-sitting with Donald Fucking Trump in office?

Not

Banned
Who don't you think the dems have that they would have if they went left? Especially when it comes to this district. Who do you think is fence-sitting with Donald Fucking Trump in office?

I'm just saying it appears to be a brick wall. It very clearly comes down to racial and/or gender superiority, so that ideology isn't changing anytime soon.

slit

Damn, good thing we got that win, shit was getting close:

First it's "Where are the wins", then it's "That's not good enough", make up your mind. The Dems are not going to win every election especially in the south. There was a seat gain in NH as well in a district Trump won.

Considering the numbers here, this might be a good indicator of things to come. Like in the UKs elections, seats that were assumed safe, turned out to not be. The Republicans should have won this seat with a big margin. Instead they only just got ahead. It was on of those election that if the day had been moved a week, it could have gone anyway.

Democrats may have lost this one, but think about all the other juicy seats that aren't so safe for Republicans.

Steel

Banned
I'm just saying it appears to be a brick wall. It very clearly comes down to racial and/or gender superiority, so that ideology isn't changing anytime soon.

It's the only place the party can reasonably get new voters. So...

Another day, another dream shattered.

What was the final count?

Georgia politicians got the scare of their careers thought. This shouldn't have gotten this far in such far right territory and it did and it cost a pretty penny.

If can happen in more states that'll send a message as well.

Oriel

Yeah, you're screwed completely now America. Trump will survive until 2020 while Dems fail to retake Congress next year. That hope is dead.

mo60

Georgia politicians got the scare of their careers thought. This shouldn't have gotten this far in such far right territory and it did and it cost a pretty penny.

If can happen in more states that'll send a message as well.

Parnell also gave republicans a scare in SC-5.

Mac_Lane

Can't believe all the defeatist posts here. Ossoff came within 4 points of winning. In a republican stronghold.

The wave that's coming in 2018 should be huge if the trend carries on. I'd say the dems stand a good chance of regaining control of the House.

JaggedSac

Nope. The Republican voter mantra is always that no matter how bad it is under the GOP, it would always be worse under the Democrats. And in the case of healthcare or food stamps, they'll blame the failures in those systems on their usual suspects. - immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who are abusing the system, as Fox News told them.

Yep. The results of the election disappoint me greatly. I guess shit will have to really hit the fan for things to swing the other way in local elections and national elections.

I'm legit shocked by this news. I knew from reports that they were "neck and neck" but I didn't expect her to win, especially after that latest terrorism ad.

I don't know who to blame for this... l could fall back on Dems being too centrist and trying to court Republicans and not being progressive but l don't know if that applies here... it certainly applies nationally though.

Can't believe all the defeatist posts here. Ossoff came within 4 points of winning. In a republican stronghold.

The wave that's coming in 2018 should be huge if the trend carries on. I'd say the dems stand a good chance of regaining control of the House.
23 million to move up +4 in a GOP +8 district under a republican who is literally a walking constitutional crisis with a 2/3rds disapproval rating

Trump only won by 1.5% here as well so they didn't even improve or take advantage of that. They regressed.

Maybe "defeatism" and "all is lost" type posts are going too far but there is no consolation or positive spin to take away from it

pretty much this. Decades of being brainwashed by Fox News.

PKrockin

23 million to move up +4 in a GOP +8 district under a republican who is literally a walking constitutional crisis with a 2/3rds disapproval rating

Trump only won by 1.5% here as well so they didn't even improve or take advantage of that. They regressed.

Maybe "defeatism" and "all is lost" type posts are going too far but there is no consolation or positive spin to take away from it
The consolation is the other race that happened yesterday.

I'm legit shocked by this news. I knew from reports that they were "neck and neck" but I didn't expect her to win, especially after that latest terrorism ad.

I don't know who to blame for this... l could fall back on Dems being too centrist and trying to court Republicans and not being progressive but l don't know if that applies here... it certainly applies nationally though.

Lol... A Republican wins a Republican stronghold by a lot less than usual and you immediately think to blame the Democrats.

You guys are really banking a lot of midterms, but I don't think it'll be some grand awakening of reasonable Americans. Reasonable Americans don't vote and thus aren't actually reasonable.

Mueller uncovering a gigantic treasonous plot is your only hope, but in it lies the seed of even greater defeat: what if the people just won't care?

You guys are really banking a lot of midterms, but I don't think it'll be some grand awakening of reasonable Americans. Reasonable Americans don't vote and thus aren't actually reasonable.

Mueller uncovering a gigantic treasonous plot is your only hope, but in it lies the seed of even greater defeat: what if the people just won't care?

I'm convinced that most Americans are either stupid or don't care. I've honestly always firmly believed that the average american is a good and loving person. I just don't know if I can say that anymore. I think instead I'd say that the average America is an ignorant and naive person.

Top Bottom