• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Government NOT distancing themselves from Armenian Genocide Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Breaking: Government NOT distancing from Armenian Resolution

Mods please change the title.

Regierungssprecher Steffen Seibert wird am späten Vormittag (11.30 Uhr, im Livestream auf www.heute.de) vor die Presse treten. Es wird erwartet, dass er sich im Namen der Bundesregierung von der Armenien-Resolution des Bundestages distanziert. Darauf hätten sich Kanzleramt und Auswärtiges Amt geeinigt, berichtet "Spiegel Online". Die Bundesregierung will offenbar mit einer Distanzierung erreichen, dass die türkische Regierung deutsche Abgeordnete wieder die Soldaten der Bundeswehr in Incirlik besuchen lässt.

In early June the German Parliament officially recognised the Armenian Genocide by the Turks. Now exactly three months later the German Government is expexted to distance themselves from that decision.

The reasoning: Turkey demands this move in order to allow German diplomats to visit German troops at NATO base Incirlik again.

In den vergangenen Wochen bemühten sich laut dem Bericht Außenstaatssekretär Martin Ederer und der Leiter der Politischen Abteilung im Auswärtigen Amt, Andreas Michaelis, in Ankara um die Beilegung des Streits. Ihnen sei dabei unmissverständlich mitgeteilt worden, dass die türkische Regierung eine öffentliche Distanzierung von der Völkermord-Resolution des Bundestags verlange. Dieser Forderung werde Berlin nun nachkommen.

http://www.heute.de/deutschland-und...abstand-zur-armenien-resolution-45061982.html

The press conference is set for 11:30 AM CET.

To be clear: The Resolution still stands. It's "just" the government that wants to distance themselves.

daxy

I think that it's relevant to know that, despite this, the parliament's resolution still stands, from what I understood of the matter.

oti

Banned
I think that it's relevant to know that, despite this, the parliament's resolution still stands, from what I understood of the matter.

Yes, of course. Interestingly enough neither Merkel, Gabriel (vice chancellor) or Steinmeier (foreign minister) attended the vote for the resolution. That way they had this card to play around with. Now, the Government can distance themselves all they want, that doesn't change the fact that Germany officially recognizes the Armenian genocide.

Really frustrates me how my government (and others) are bending to Turkey especially now with them having the hold over us with the migrant crisis. We need to grow a spine already.

Question to those with more information on this than I:

Why is this issue so difficult for Turkey to admit? I understand it's beyond shameful, but why such resistance?

Xe4

Banned
Question to those with more information on this than I:

Why is this issue so difficult for Turkey to admit? I understand it's beyond shameful, but why such resistance?
Nationalism, mostly. The genocide occurred right around the time Turkey was being founded from the old Ottoman Empire. Sort of simmilar to how Japan is being so buttheaded about their crimes in WWII.

AxelFoley

Nationalism, mostly. The genocide occurred right around the time Turkey was being founded from the old Ottoman Empire. Sort of simmilar to how Japan is being so buttheaded about their crimes in WWII.

Shit, it's like how here in the U.S., mainstream (.i.e. white) America doesn't want to face it's history of slavery (African Americans) and genocide (First Nations).

devilhawk

Shit, it's like how here in the U.S., mainstream (.i.e. white) America doesn't want to face it's history of slavery (African Americans) and genocide (First Nations).
It's not like that at all. Turks straight up deny that the genocide even happened. Even racist assholes in the US don't deny that slavery or the wiping out of the Native Americans happened.

Hard topic. German government basically is also saying that the nama and herero genocide is no genocide as this was done before genocide was a legal term in international treaties. So yeah the consequent thing would he to say we germans didnt only commit genocide in WW 2 but also way before that (also germans dont pay reparations to other countries like greece which is also very hypocritical given their stance on the armenian resolution)

oti

Banned
German diplomats are now allowed to visit the NATO base again. According to Turkey Germany did what they wanted. They publicly stated that the Resolution isn't legally binding.

Man, what kind of circus is this. Realpolitik to the max.

Hermii

Common Turkey, just admit to it. Its not that big of a deal, most countries have done it at some point in their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom