• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany passes law for Same-Sex-Marriage

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Bloody hell, talk about my own ignorance. I genuinely thought Germany had legalised same-sex marriage.

I thought same and i live next door.

edit: I'm less opposed to 'civil unions' than a lot of people. I know demanding outright equality is an easy thing to do, but I see civil unions as a necessary first step to make the public at large realise society isn't being destroyed, slowly accept the idea and then phase in marriage. It's great it's all happening, it's a shame we need this long to accept things, but I think it also can't be forced or you get a backlash and people become a bit more radical in their anti stance.

double edit: oh shit it passed nice job Germany!

Hazzuh

All of the gushing praise of Merkel on here makes much more sense when you realise people don't seem to know anything about her actual politics.

cromofo

Politicians are politicians. They will lie and flip flop to get that chair.

Nothing new. Seems like people believe them too much. Most of them are in their own world, they don't give a shit about you.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Politicians are politicians. They will lie and flip flop to get that chair.

Nothing new. Seems like people believe them too much. Most of them are in their own world, they don't give a shit about you.
Who flip flopped here?

oti

Banned
ITT: People who only know Merkel because of Trump and never bothered actually looking into her character.

gotoadgo

I'm glad another country has moved past this and made the right decision. Australia's politicians don't even have the courage to vote, instead trying to force a plebiscite no one wants.

At least you guys didn't get a year of disgusting protests against it.

Regardless of Merkel playing politics, this is a very good end result.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It would be hard to be a liberal by American standards if you oppose gay marriage like Merkel.

Don't know about liberal, but considering she is not in favor of letting all those filthy sick people die if they are not rich, she would appear to be left in the US. Because who in their right mind would be in favour of public health care, right?

dondarm

Banned

If you're French and are talking about "manif pour tous", some assholes copied the format for germany, though only with regional success.

Doikor

That's an interesting timeline you got there.

Before: Merkel is against SSM.
Flip-Flop: ???
Now: Merkel is still against SSM.

Now: Merkel has effectively removed same sex marriage as a talking point for the upcoming elections. (issue solved)

Fortunately, the German population is very much in favor of same-sex marriage :)

Glad this finally passed. Hopefully it's actually constitutional. Otherwise the constitution would need to be amended, which might be a bigger issue after the election in the fall.

azyless

A year is being optimistic. They didn't stop even when the law was passed.
I'm expecting the same thing about in vitro being opened to all women. My stress levels about to skyrocket again with their bullshit.

Pennywise

But she voted against it, no? Wouldn't that still be a talking point against her? I'm probably missing something here.

Only internal with her party, but apart from a few that are always playing their usual conservative role, there is hardly anyone that's gonna attack her.

But she voted against it, no? Wouldn't that still be a talking point against her? I'm probably missing something here.

How about she knew that the majority will vote for it, and then decided to vote against it to appease her principal voter base.

Makes sense to me.

Anyway, she brought that thing to the table.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How about she knew that the majority will vote for it, and then decided to vote against it to appease her principal voter base.

Makes sense to me.

Anyway, she brought that thing to the table.
It's more like she stepped out of the way when others brought it to the table.

Metal B

Merkel voted no?!?!??!
Wow, what a horrible PM Germany has..
It was a power play from Merkel. She was the person, who opened up the voting, but at the same time she voted against it.
She took away an important talking point from other parties for the election in fall, has make her look good and still played to their base, since she voted against it.
Overall smart move.

It was a power play from Merkel. She was the person, who opened up the voting, but at the same time she voted against it.
She took away an important talking point from other parties for the election in fall, has make her look good and still played to their base, since she voted against it. Overall smart move.

She sure as hell didn't make herself look good. Especially in her own party.

It's off the table now however, so that will help leading up to the election.

Metal B

She sure as hell didn't make herself look good. Especially in her own party.
It's how you play it. She has made the move fast enough and at the right moment, so that there is enough time, that the public will forget about it over the summer. The other parties also can't point at her vote against it, since she open up the voting in the first place. I bet, she and her party will just not talk about it in the election campaign.

This wasn't a move to make her look good, it was about taking away talking-points from other parties, giving them less room to dominate the elections topics.

Again smart move.

It's how you play it. She has made the move fast enough and at the right moment, so that there is enough time, that the public will forget about it over the summer. The other parties also can't point at her vote against it, since she open up the voting in the first place. I bet, she and her party will just not talk about it in the election campaign.

This wasn't a move to make her look good, it was about taking away talking-points from other parties, giving them less room to dominate the elections topics.

Again smart move.

Maybe she handled the situation good but I'm sure she's not happy about it. I think it was rather a smart move from the SPD. Again Merkel handled it good but I don't think this whole thing did her any favor.

spekkeh

Banned
Fantastic news, and that it happened so quickly. Merkel is a cunt for her politics, by making it happen, yet voting no to retain the conservative backing. I guess I should be happy it still got through, but I'm a value ethicist so I hope she gets punished for it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Fantastic news, and that it happened so quickly. Merkel is a cunt for her politics, by making it happen, yet voting no to retain the conservative backing. I guess I should be happy it still got through, but I'm a value ethicist so I hope she gets punished for it.

Is getting a fourth term (and most likely a fifth if she wants to) a punishment in your eyes ;)?

A former judge of the Federal Court argues that the bill does not comply with the constitution. He says it requires the constitution to be changed.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...elt-sie-fuer-verfassungswidrig-a-1155215.html

So let's see. Hopefully it's not another case of Heiko Maas messing things up.

that's why this vote is so dumb
and why we still don't have the same-sex-marriage up to date

this will get shut down by the federal court
and a constitutional change requires a 2 thirds majority (good luck with that next term in the Bundestag including AFD)

but at least they can proclaim a "win"
i honestly don't get why the don't just make a eingetragene Lebenspartnerschaft with the fucking same exact rightly like a marriage.
it would be basically the same but still called different, so even people against same-sex-marriage would be fine because it's no marriage

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
To be fair, it's not a black-or-white attribute. You can be liberal on some issues and conservative on others, or even somewhere in-between.

Merkel is whatever she needs to be for maximum personal gain. She is flipfloping like no other politician.

Playing politics instead of supporting people in dire need of allies. Fuck off Merkel - but this can still be a victory for my German LGBTQ friends. There will always be those who want to hold us back but we will continue making progress no matter what.

Top Bottom