• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get AC: Odyssey free on Uplay for testing Project Stream (US Only)

Helios

Posted for EssKayZee EssKayZee
From Ubisoft:
Any players that spend a minimum of an hour playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey in Project Stream between now and January 15 will receive a free Uplay PC copy of the game via their linked Uplay account as a special thanks for being a part of the test. Players that already have a copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey tied to their Uplay account will not be eligible for a free copy of the game.
More info at link.

isual

its alright. i did it just for the 10 helix points for my ps4 version.

i really don't see this project taking off and google will probably kill this project in a year. i do think that similar platform, shadow, will not succeed as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sweet, guess we get to "keep" our "copy" of the game after all.

Helios

i really don't see this project taking off and google will probably kill this project in a year. i do think that similar platform, shadow, will not succeed as well.
I don't know. Almost all of the big players are starting to invest into streaming services.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Well that sounds pretty neat, guess I'll apply for the test. Hope the project fails, fuck streaming, gimme modifiable offline files, gimme something I can own.

Helios

How do I VPN this?
You can probably get into the project with a VPN but you can't play. They test your latency. So unless you can somehow have the latency under 40ms while connected to a US server through a VPN, you're not getting in.
Sooooo can I just leave the game running for an hour?
I think they kick you out after 20 min of inactivity. So just move your mouse after a while.

isual

I don't know. Almost all of the big players are starting to invest into streaming services.

gamefly had a streaming service to my last recollection, and it did not succeed.
reference for current GaaS's in the world with shadow and project stream current in the USA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming#Cloud_gaming_services_(Gaming_as_a_Service_(GaaS))

i just don't think it will hold up because the inflection point is that the majority of consumers tend want to hold a physical device that has their gaming content, not stream. streaming for now is better with watching videos such as netflix.

anecdotally, there is the delay in input while i played the game; and yes, this is definitely dependent on your internet connection - however, even with solid 25mbps over, i just don't think this is a good proposition.

EssKayZee

IMO, it only ever works of they have original content on their service and already have a established base of customers to start with.

Newcomers like Google have a very slight chance to succeed in this space given that they do not have a proven track record for gaming services unlike Sony or Microsoft who already have a established base of customers and can create original content for their services. It's not an easy industry to get into.

I played it for 1 hour and a half. I got into it. The picture quality was 9/10 for most of the time at 1080p. I started with playing mouse/keyboard but it became laggy in my second session so I switched over to the controller and it felt fine. I will now await for my free copy. I might buy the Season Pass because of this just to get the AC3 and Liberation HD remasters.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got my invite and checked it out.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was. Blown away in fact. Graphics were not outstanding though, but decent.

I don't see streaming ever replacing at hoime gaming, but for playing single player away from home. Yeah, it could work.

Now awaiting my free copy of AC:O

For anyone wondering, I signed up Saturday and received my invite today so the turnaround is pretty fast and you get the game for free with minimal effort.

xwez

Banned
For anyone wondering, I signed up Saturday and received my invite today so the turnaround is pretty fast and you get the game for free with minimal effort.

Think I signed up saturday as well. Haven't received anything yet. Will be disappointed since I've managed to get most the other AC games either super cheap or free.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Meh at US Only.
Is it played in... chrome browser?
Yes, but try it for yourself if you can. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it works. It's no substitute for the actual game on your PC or even close, but it can work when you're away and just wanted to hook up a laptop with a decent internet connection.

demigod

The streaming is good but what the hell resolution am i playing in? It feels like 720p or worse. The character’s detail is really bad and looks blurry.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The res is fine, the artifacts in motion are bad. This is not the future .. yet.

Still nothing for me either. We are the forsaken ones.
giphy.gif

ZAuxier

Neo Member
Anyone see anything pop up on UPlay? I know it ended on the 15th, haven't seen any emails or notices about the download.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Still haven't gotten mine yet. Although it doesnt really matter at this moment since my step up has me without a GPU

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got this:
VBYemZH.png

So... keep waiting I suppose.

jshackles

Just checked my account and its in there, thanks wario.

Just saw this thread bumped, and looked at my account - the game is available for download!

Awesome.

Top Bottom