• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get the Metroid franchise back on track?

they wouldnt if its not multiplatform (and not on wiiu)

that's a ridiculous thing to say.

metroid other M was on a wii - arguable a huge install base... and bombed. so even the hardcore/Metroid fans couldn't push it over the line and make it a hit.

I'd welcome a proper gen metroid game. Franchise fucking deserved it. Nintendo seriously fucked with metroid by making the wii so underpowered. Of all their franchises, metroid and fzero could use with the extra cpu/gpu grunt.

thefro

It's pretty obvious that they just need to make Aliens instead of trying to remake Alien.

Reboot the whole thing. Samus has guns she carries instead of an arm cannon in the power suit until later on. She takes bounty missions and there's a Space Station or two to explore, buy equipment, and talk to people. You fly to various planets. She works with a whole motley crew of various space marines and bounty hunters depending on the mission. These are fun and there's banter back and forth during the missions between the action and scares. There's some more involved setpieces.

The last third of the game or so is basically a traditional non-linear Metroid-style world, where you're basically on your own or maybe with one AI companion. I'd base this on Metroid 2 where you basically have to wipe out the Queen Metroid, etc.

If they make another Prime-style game it's not going to sell a lot of units.

Rezbit

I still want a 2D Metroid on 3DS. Not just to use the bottom screen as a map, but to actually feature more of the environment, so you could jump between screens in certain areas etc. Dat vertical platforming.

Won't happen because of the nature of only the top screen having 3D.

Ocaso

It's pretty obvious that they just need to make Aliens instead of trying to remake Alien.

Reboot the whole thing. Samus has guns she carries instead of an arm cannon in the power suit until later on. She takes bounty missions and there's a Space Station or two to explore, buy equipment, and talk to people. You fly to various planets. She works with a whole motley crew of various space marines and bounty hunters depending on the mission. These are fun and there's banter back and forth during the missions between the action and scares. There's some more involved setpieces.

The last third of the game or so is basically a traditional non-linear Metroid-style world, where you're basically on your own or maybe with one AI companion. I'd base this on Metroid 2 where you basically have to wipe out the Queen Metroid, etc.

Quite possibly one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas. Any talk of a "reboot" that requires radical changes to the key gameplay structure is absurd. They can make side stories if they want, games where you play within the Metroid universe as a Galactic Federation soldier or bounty hunter, but Metroid games have key gameplay elements that define them just as strongly as any other franchise, and discarding them is to discard your fanbase, plain and simple.

Edit:

I bet 343 would make a killer Metroid. Too bad it can ever happen.

My vote would go to Rocksteady if anything. Their Batman games are probably the closest things to 3D Metroidvanias we've had this generation apart from Prime 3 itself.

destrudo

The obvious one's have already been mentioned, WayForward or Retro studios, but I wouldn't mind a Bioware developed Metroid game. I'd like to see some other developers experiment with the franchise a bit, exploring different angles of the series and it's universe.

People shit on Hunters a bit too much. I use to play that game online while at work and had a lot of fun with it and I would really like to see them expand on the multi-player component a bit.

xvszero

Neo Member
Just make a true follow-up to Super Metroid. That game was and still is one of the greatest things ever made.

destrudo

Not really big on your idea, but I would love a non-linear game where you're on your own going from planet to planet doing actual bounty hunting with maybe a larger overarching plot.

I had this manager at my local Gamestop swear up and down to me how, at a Gamestop managerial conference, Nintendo representatives had told everyone there that a new Metroid was in the works for the Wii U. Somehow he must have thought this piece of news was going to convince me to pre-order a Wii U.

What about that: No sexual exploitation, just a strong woman saving the day. Gaming finally needs a true heroine without that shit.

an3ZA.png

Let's not pretend that Samus Aran hasn't always been sexualised. If we're going to demand that Samus no longer be sexualised, why not demand the same of every heroine in gaming?

Oersted

an3ZA.png

Let's not pretend that Samus Aran hasn't always been sexualised. If we're going to demand that Samus no longer be sexualised, why not demand the same of every heroine in gaming?

We all know Samus was objectified in the early beginnings. And yes , we certainly should (I certainly do ;) ) demand that all devs spending their female charas something better. But there is nothing wrong with hoping Samus makes the first step ;) . One has to do it, finally in 2013.

Riposte

This might sound crazy but I think they should call the next game "Samus" and drop the Metroid plot (and with it the Space Pirates).

Ninjimbo

This might sound crazy but I think they should call the next game "Samus" and drop the Metroid plot (and with it the Space Pirates).
Not crazy at all. I was thinking about that myself since I'm kind of sick of the Metroids making an appearance in every game.

Rolf NB

Other M not only broke my love for the Metroid series, but single-handedly ended my interest in the Wii for the rest of the generation.

Your ideas are even worse.

Congratulations!

We all know Samus was objectified in the early beginnings. And yes , we certainly should (I certainly do ;) ) that all devs spending the female charas something better. But there is nothing wrong with hoping Samus makes the first step ;) . One has to do it, finally in 2013.

Fair enough. :)

I actually don't think this is such a bad idea. Even if it was just an off-shoot, I always thought it would be fun to play a Metroid game where Samus Aran actually got to be a bounty hunter and, you know, hunt bounties.

Like Star Fox. THAT needs to get back on the tracks.

Yeah, literally--back on the rails and no more of this dumb on-foot free roam stuff they kept trying to shove down our throats. The best parts of Assault were the three on-rails levels.

Anyway...I would buy a Metroid Prime 4 in a heartbeat. I really want to see them come back to the original Prime 2 idea they explored, with the derelict ship and the rampant AIs.

Effect

Get Nintendo to work on it instead of farming it off on a third party. I mean look how good Super Metroid turned out.

The big issues that most hated about the game was what came from Nintendo. Not what Team Ninja did. Sakamoto still did the story and that's the number one issue with the game and the cause of the damage done to Samus.

I'd be all for dropping the Metroids and put Samus up against something else as well.

Edit: I don't think less story is the answer. It just needs to be good and not insulting to the character.

Mista Koo

For now I'd say 2.5D on 3DS with a lot of care for the 3D depth, Deadlight inspired shadows and contrast (with a glowing visor), Super Metroid as a goal, and of course map on the bottom screen.

RagnarokX

But Other M WAS Aliens, with a space marine team that gets taken out and an Ellen Ripley PTSD freakout. She even fought a friggin robot forklift.

The hatred of Other M is pretty overblown. The story was mediocre and the dialogue poorly written, but it wasn't offensive. They could have definitely done better but it wasn't bad.

Maaseru

Banned
Get fucking Star Fox back on track, get F Zero, Pikmin back on track. Metroid had 2 amazing games on the gamecube and 1 amazing game on the Wii, without counting the DS ones. So it had 1 bad game, that all knew was going to suck and it needs to get back on track, please no. Get the other franchises back on track, replay the prime trilogy while that happens then you can speak about a new Metroid.

Box

Metroid games are pretty rigidly defined. You have various paths, some of which are blocked off and as you get your upgrades, you open more paths that you have to go back and find. The game is like one big Zelda dungeon. Anything else just doesn't feel right. Metroid is a very pure experience.

So I wonder if it's better, rather than changing Metroid to something different, to make a new game that's similar to Metroid but not Metroid. It would be a Metroid-inspired game probably by Retro Studios or some team with a background in Metroid.

Maybe the game could be more of a shooter. IIRC, many of the people in Retro Studios came from FPS backgrounds, so it might be a good fit. Maybe the Metroid influence would come in by focusing more on finding new guns and upgrades. Maybe a Metroid-like lonely atmosphere could lead to a more pure shooter experience. Maybe there could be looting or stealth or customization elements that just wouldn't fly in a Metroid game.

It's not that I don't like the Metroid formula, but I think having something a little bit different might let me appreciate it more. It might also give some perspective on what Metroid is and what some new ideas for it might be.

Veal

I think From Software could make an excellent Metroid! They'd at the very least would be able to pull off the animation and atmosphere!

televator

I regret ever doubting Retro before I finally broke down and played Metroid Prime.

I was like: "why the fuck would they turn this great franchise into a FPS??"

I quickly ate those words.

Ah yes. I remember saying that too. As soon as I heard the intro music I could smell the hot plate of crow being served up for me. Prime is proof that categorizing games by mechanics is an archaic norm that needs replacing.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Minitroid appears to be dead, which is a real shame. Throw that guy some money and support to finish it and publish it on the 3DS eShop.

Madao

i think they should reboot the series. there's too much baggage so far.

starting from 0 and using the gameplay from MZM as the starting point (the gameplay is perfect here. SM is slow and clunky in comparison) and level design on par with the 2D entries and they could make a pretty good reboot. they'd need brand new settings and powerups to avoid it being too similar to the original and ZM. discard the convoluted story and make it more like "just a bounty hunter hired to exterminate monsters in an unknown planet" again.

also, after mp3, i don't want more prime. the magic of the first 2 was almost gone and Retro is very different nowadays. i'd prefer something new from them or, hell, even a DKCR sequel before they do another prime.

Madao

What the fuck happened to the team(s) who worked on the GBA Metroids? Old hat?

they're now into WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven and Friend Collection. they never really stopped working (so, in a way, we have Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare at the cost of 2D Metroid)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
After Metroid Fusion, Samus slowly mutates into a metroid and must find a way to cure herself.

Berordn

After Metroid Fusion, Samus slowly mutates into a metroid and must find a way to cure herself.

We could branch it off from there. One timeline where she succeeds and fights the federation head-on, one where she fails and becomes the new queen leading to the rise of a new protagonist, and one where Ganon wins.

Gambit

Personally I would be very happy with Another M. The developers surely learned from their mistakes and should really be allowed to improve upon their concept. (Look at the quality jump from AssCreed 1 to 2). They could either make it for 3DS; or for Wii U with "Prime visor" on the gamepad for scanning and aiming missiles.

Somewhere in Other M is a fantastic concept. The 2D feel of the 3D stages is great, and I am very happy to have Samus' agility back.

What I don't want is Prime 4. I haven't even finished Corruption yet, as I feel quite let down by it.

Alternatively, I'd be fine with a 2D Metroid or one with Metroid Blast mechanics.

Madao

Personally I would be very happy with Another M. The developers surely learned from their mistakes and should really be allowed to improve upon their concept. (Look at the quality jump from AssCreed 1 to 2). They could either make it for 3DS; or for Wii U with "Prime visor" on the gamepad for scanning and aiming missiles.

it won't happen for the simple reason that people won't give it a chance and will bomb again. then, people will realize it was actually good years later when an used copy goes for $300 on ebay.

flattie

I really hope they don't make a 2D entry for the Wii U. I love that side scrollers and platformers are making a comeback, particularly with some of Nintendo's output, but for me, Metroid can't go back to that style after what Retro achieved with the Prime series. At least not on the home console version.

That being said, I don't know who would develop it. So many of Retro's team have moved on since the Prime games. Although despite some misguided writing in Prime 3, they are yet to deliver a less than great game.

Either way, Metroid is the Nintendo IP that really does it for me and if they were to pull another Other M, I'd be gutted.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All they have to do is keep Sakamoto at arms length. With the graphical potential of today's consoles he can't focus on anything other than his incestual feelings for Samus.

Other M would have been great if he hadn't been involved as much. Nintendo heard all the criticism and the game flopped, they won't make the same mistakes again. The 2D/3D gameplay was a good foundation, I'd like to see them have another go at it.

I understand the hate that Other M's story gets, because it's awful.

What I don't get is the praise its gameplay mechanics gets. The only thing right about it was the concept, i.e. "It's 2D Metroid again." Everything else--the pixel hunts, the baffling decision to use sideways Wiimote only controls, stopping and pointing at the screen to fire missiles, "mash the D-pad to dodge everything, forever"...none of this was good.

Other M was a game I had to try very hard to find something I liked about, and even now I couldn't really tell you what that is.

Basically what I'm saying is yeah, totes go back to 2D for a new Metroid. Just don't carry anything at all over from Other M. Please.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What the fuck happened to the team(s) who worked on the GBA Metroids? Old hat?

Many of 'em worked on Other M. Personnel change (or lack thereof) isn't really the issue.

What smackdown? Mr. Ninja is upset that Daddy Saks got (rightly) crushed for making a terrible game, and is lashing out with baseless attacks to deflect blame from Crying Sakamoto's great fall.

The fuck is this? When are people on this forum gonna put this petty schoolyard bullshit aside?

zoukka

Metroid is probably the series I'm most sad about if its story ends with Other M. One of the best videogame franchises ever made...

Lemonte

As a kid I always thought Metroid on NES was kinda scary game. I think I saw nightmares of it too. So I think they should make it more dark and gritty again. But tbh I haven't played any of the gamecube or wii metroids.

But then again I would love 2d metroid with hand drawn graphics like this:

Nemesis_

I've always wanted a follow up to Prime.

High definition and with the game pad it would work really well.

I also always felt that Metroid would work really well in a Dead Space-esque setting.

Glass Rebel

Reboot the series. Like, scrap everything and start from scratch on 3DS or Wii U. Keep the story to a minimum inside of the games. If you really need to explore Samus' origins and her feelings, do it in some manga or whatever. In the games she should be simply a vessel for the player to explore the game without exposition or characterisation. The setup for every single entry should be simple: The Galactic Federation wants you to check something out, go to that planet. Oh no, Metroids! Don't bother with an overaching storyline, I doubt anybody cares. Of course, introducing enemies like Dark Samus or SA-X shouldn't be out of the question.

Make it look and sound unique. Metroid should be a bit scary and atmospheric without being gritty and brown. Other M had good designs for many enemies, just be more smart with the colour. Use moody and memorable music, not just ambient sounds. It's okay to make the player feel like a badass from time to time. Look especially at Super Metroid for this.

Keep it 2D or at most 2.5D without any touch, motion or 3D gimmicks, just a huge, interconnected world to explore. Emphasis on world. No stupid space-bases, I want a planet where you can see that ancient civilizations lived there. Upper screen/TV for the game, lower screen/Wii U Pad for map. Otherwise, no directions, no cutscenes, no dialogue, just no bullshit that takes me out of the game. Tell the story through the environment like previous games did. Bring back the scan function from the Prime series but only to tell the player more about the world, not as a part of the gameplay. Concentration mode from Other M would be preferable as well; it's not fun farming enemies just to get one full Energy Tank.

The two pillars of successful Metroid design for me are exploration and achievement. The world has to be both mechanically as well as aesthetically encouraging to explore with sequence breaking being a viable but challenging part of the game. It's 2013 for crying out loud, get inventive on how to make environments that are fun to explore by their own without making up arbitrary objectives. The game shouldn't have to tell me to go somewhere, it should make me want to by myself. Whether they do that by putting in challenging platforming sections, puzzles or just interesting architecture doesn't even matter. The other aspect, achievement, is a bit of a no-brainer but still worth mentioning. Almost everything in the game should be caused by the doing of the player, not the game, not some enemy, not a supporting character, not even Samus herself. I should be able to say "It was me who did that". Found my way through an intricate maze to get to a health-powerup? I did that. Killed an enemy by making the ceiling of a cave fall on him? I did that. Made ancient ruins rise from a barren wasteland? Yup, all me. It's the player and his motivation who should be the driving force in a Metroid game. I push the events forward, not the other way around.

I hate to say it, but I kind of had the same idea myself, and it would probably make for an interesting game, with you developing more Metroid-y powers over time, but it still seems like something that would probably focus a lot on story and, while it could end up being a very good story, I don't believe that telling stories is what Metroid should be about and, if Other M is proof of anything, it shouldn't even try to as long a Sakamoto is around. It's probably good fan-fic fuel, though.

I do have to parrot everyone else in here and say that they need to do another Super Metroid style game, though, personally, I would like something a little different from just another re-tread of Zebes. Maybe something like an abandoned colony city or something of that sort.

Top Bottom