• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

KodaRuss

The 1TB 850 Evo is $301 right now on Amazon. Pretty good price but I might wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday and maybe not put a bunch of stuff on the Pro yet.

n0razi

These results are not good. Actually preforming worse for two games. Makes me want to call and cancel my Firecuda order before it even gets delivered.

The Firecuda will see its best performance when you play the same game repeatedly since its cache is only 8gb... if you swap games often then it won't perform much better than any other 5400rpm drive. If you play say Destiny or Overwatch 90% of the time then the Firecuda's cache will keep the most used game files on cache and you will see a benefit.

I did a bunch of time measurements between my launch PS4 with a Seagate 1TB SSHD and my PS4 Pro with the Firecuda 2TB SSHD. These GTA times though really show the benefit of a SSHD, mainly if you play the same game all the time since it must stay partially in cache or maybe partially loaded in system memory?

3 timings, timed from hitting X on the home screen to launch the game until it loaded my character standing in single player:
PS4 w/ Seagate - 1:30 - 1:21 - 1:10
PS4 Pro w/Firecuda - 1:34 - 1:19 - 1:08

Its pretty noticeable how each loading is quicker than the last.

mauaus

I installed a firecuda 2tb yesterday and transfered 380gb from my og ps4. All seemed fine and dandy until i had a system software crash, the os became sluggish.

The system begun rebuilding database and when it rebooted it was still the same so i went to safe mode and rebuilt database again, everything seems fine now but im worried i might have a bad hdd.

I have since played pes, titanfall 2 and witcher for a little over 2 hours... Anyone experiencing any problems like these?

AkIRA_22

Sorry for the late reply, Australia has a funny way of sleeping when everyone is up.

Ok, so my testing was launching the same save game in both cases, so this was from the main menu to actual gameplay. In the case of TLOU and COD:IW I re ran them twice for a 3 total runs... This was the quickest. It's a very strange result that may be down to the way these game read off the HDD. I did notice the menus of the actual PlayStation load faster. It's an older 2 platter SSSHD but really it shouldn't be worse, I reckon it's down to the way the game is designed. I have a SSD I can out in the PS4 but it takes too fucking long to do it, and I can't be buggered.

TyrantII

I can't be assed to do property tests either, but I can confirm the loading in the terribly optimized Star Trek Online game has easily been cut in half with the EVO SSD.

I've been signing in with multiple characters to grab daily items for trophies, and there's a very noticible change in loading for the better.

Grimalkin

The Firecuda will see its best performance when you play the same game repeatedly since its cache is only 8gb... if you swap games often then it won't perform much better than any other 5400rpm drive. If you play say Destiny or Overwatch 90% of the time then the Firecuda's cache will keep the most used game files on cache and you will see a benefit.

Right. My spouse is all Battlefield 1, all the time so their #1 concern was being one of the first to load into the map to get the tank spawn. ;)

For them and people who are similar the FireCuda is 100% worth it.

I noticed navigation of the menu in the Funimation app is vastly improved.

I also have my 2tb Firecuda drive almost completely filled up. I haven't downloaded everything and I still have to have room for several games I preordered on PSN.

My 2tb Firecuda arrived today, and outside of those damn caddy screws being stuck or tight and hard to unscrew, the upgrade went smooth.

I remember people were saying going over LAN for the transfer was slow compared to a direct connection but I seem to be hitting gigabit speed over my LAN. I can't expect it to go any faster so it's doing roughly 6GB a minute or 360GB an hour which is better than I was expecting. Two hours in and my 1.25TB transfer was almost half done already.

WarpathDC

Looking for a nicely priced 4tb hdd that will fit in the pro. I can even go the route of cracking open a portable hdd case. Any finds fellow pro owners in need of storage?

What do you guys think of the Samsung Evo 840 1tb? I can get it for £145, would it be better than the Firecuda?

SSD will kill all other tech in terms of speed. Some games are not going to take full advantage of it, but many load times should be noticeably shorter.

That is a great price too. You are getting 1TB for about the usual price of 512GB.

Is that an online deal?

Venom Fox

Banned
SSD will kill all other tech in terms of speed. Some games are not going to take full advantage of it, but many load times should be noticeably shorter.

That is a great price too. You are getting 1TB for about the usual price of 512GB.

Is that an online deal?
Yeah I'm using a friends discount ;) I wonder how easy it would be to update the firmware. If I update the firmware for the 840 when the Pro formats the SSD, will it not reset the firmware too?

KampferZeon

Neo Member
It seems that games without pro-mode do not benefit from the SSD more than the OG PS4.

games without pro mode do benefit from faster disk access, maybe not by as much as those with pro support.
PS4Pro had the same HDD but has extra RAM so the caching strategy could be different.

I don't really understand Japanese.
and I am puzzled why the Seagate which is 7200rpm in black is slower than the Toshiba which is only 5400 rpm. Both comes with 8GB Nand

What is currently the best bang for buck HDD, 2TB+ capacity to use in the PS4 PRO?

I'm willing to import from Amazon if they ship to Australia, or if you know the HDD I can try to find it on Mwave,PCCASEGEAR etc local Australian PC stores.

takoyaki

Found some benchmark numbers HDD vs SSHD vs SSD

http://www.ps4pro.jp/entry/2016/11/11/100000

thanks for sharing, that's a very detailed comparison.

This part is interesting, it's a direct comparison of the PS4 and PS4Pro running games from a SSD. It serves as a comparison of SATA2 vs. SATA3 in the two PS4 models:

スタンダードモデルとProの違い

スタンダードモデルとProをSSD同士で比較すると、

【Pro】Rise of the Tomb Raider - 29.33%短縮

【Pro】The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SPECIAL EDITION - 24.03%短縮

【Pro】Infamous First Light - 16.72%短縮

Bloodborne - 7.05%短縮

Fallout 4 - 6.06%短縮

Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - 4.44%短縮

The guy did his testing with loading times. The bolded numbers show the the difference (e.g. 24.03% reduction in loading times in Skyrim). Looks like games with a Pro mode take some advantage of SATA3 while the difference is noticeably smaller in games without a Pro mode.

Is a 1TB Crucial MX300 for $207 a good deal or am I likely to find better during Black Friday week? Also has any one done a test comparing performance of the Firecuda SSHD to a SSD on the PS4 Pro? I'm having a hard time deciding whether the faster speeds are worth sacrificing half the storage, but I'm really thinking about refusing delivery for Firecuda I ordered. Finally is there any evidence that SSDs improve texture streaming on consoles? This is probably the most important factor to me with all the open world games I'm looking forward to playing in the near future. Thanks to anyone that answers.

Tratorn

So I still didn't see anyone testing the same SSD on PS4 + PS4 Pro or did I miss that? The difference would be interesting to see.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
thanks for sharing, that's a very detailed comparison.

This part is interesting, it's a direct comparison of the PS4 and PS4Pro running games from a SSD. It serves as a comparison of SATA2 vs. SATA3 in the two PS4 models:

The guy did his testing with loading times. The bolded numbers show the the difference (e.g. 24.03% reduction in loading times in Skyrim). Looks like games with a Pro mode take some advantage of SATA3 while the difference is noticeably smaller in games without a Pro mode.

SATA3 is always going to be much better than SATA2 for SSD. probably did the tests for OG PS4 3 years ago

takoyaki

So I still didn't see anyone testing the same SSD on PS4 + PS4 Pro or did I miss that? The difference would be interesting to see.

I think the Japanese user in my post above used a Crucial MX200 1TB in both the PS4 and PS4PRO and got a 4.44%-29.33% difference in loading times in the games he tested.

edit: He's using the same PS4 OS and game versions on both PS4 and Pro as well.

viHuGi

Banned
Anyone tested bf1 load times yet? As on the og PS4 with a hdd they are currently comical.

No but I can say that on MwR I'm always the first loading the map on stock HDD by 5/6 seconds sometimes xD Too bad it does nothing because you still have to wait for other players wich makes sense.

Jet.com. No shipping or tax(for me any way).
Thanks. Looks like you have to use the 15% coupon for new members to get it at that price. Definitely a good deal for a 1TB SSD. To think I was contemplating a 960GB SSD for $500 when PS4 launched. I'm also thinking about the 750GB version which is even cheaper per GB. Gonna have to delete a lot of games though, and redownload when I want to play them.

noomi

Can't find the Firecuda in stock anywhere!

Ps4 pro coming tomorrow, and I don't want to set it up until I have the HD :(

ViciousDS

Banned
Of course. Its a real SSD, but make sure you update the firmware on pc first.

Listen to this man right here......I have an 840 in my PS4. The firmware update basically extends the life permanently of your 840. It doesn't allow the drive to degrade in performance over time and constantly refreshes the data to do this.

Top Bottom