• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

rinse82

Would these improvements apply if I still get my games physical? Or do I have to be digital to enjoy the massive speed improvement?

andshrew

Cheers, ordered it and realised it's the exact same model I have plugged in to my Xbox One S. Need to find outif I can back that up, open it then put the Xbox stuff back on the new drive when that comes?

Not sure how the Xbox formats external drives. It's possible you could just hook it up to a PC and copy the contents off, and then copy it back onto the new drive. Easiest way to find out is to just connect it to a PC and see if you can browse it. If it comes up with messages along the lines of needing to initialise the drive then don't do that and disconnect the drive (if you do this then it will wipe out the existing partition table and you'll lose access to the data currently on it).

Not sure how the Xbox formats external drives. It's possible you could just hook it up to a PC and copy the contents off, and then copy it back onto the new drive. Easiest way to find out is to just connect it to a PC and see if you can browse it. If it comes up with messages along the lines of needing to initialise the drive then don't do that and disconnect the drive (if you do this then it will wipe out the existing partition table and you'll lose access to the data currently on it).

Awesome, shall try that after work tomorrow. If it all works out well, I'll have left my Pro in the box since launch day for no reason. So not sure which outcome I'm rooting for here, haha.

DOWN

Banned
Ok so I swapped my 1TB SSHD from base PS4 into my Pro to hopefully get some little Benefits over stock until I'm ready to boost up to 2TB

demigod

I started off with those tinier computer screwdrivers. None of them worked for me as the handles are so slender, I get no torque.

Then I went with an oversized and more normal phillips with a bigger handle and the screws turned with ease. After that, only other thing I ran into was downloading the smaller update file for the OS, rather than the entire OS. I blame the design of Sony's webpage for that though. So many have made that mistake.

I have no idea how people are having such a hard time with the screws, was so easy for me. I have the right size phillips. Not too small, not too big. And yeah I almost fell into Sony's trap too, had to look at both files I downloaded and of course picked the bigger file size.

Ok so I swapped my 1TB SSHD from base PS4 into my Pro to hopefully get some little Benefits over stock until I'm ready to boost up to 2TB

I did the same thing, mine is Seagate. Honestly I don't think the 2tb Firecuda is worth upgrading to unless you need a bigger drive. I did some testing with my 1tb sshd and at best load times were maybe a few secs faster. Starting a new game of The Last of Us, I had the stock HDD beating my sshd.

DOWN

Banned
I have no idea how people are having such a hard time with the screws, was so easy for me. I have the right size phillips. Not too small, not too big. And yeah I almost fell into Sony's trap too, had to look at both files I downloaded and of course picked the bigger file size.

I did the same thing, mine is Seagate. Honestly I don't think the 2tb Firecuda is worth upgrading to unless you need a bigger drive. I did some testing with my 1tb sshd and at best load times were maybe a few secs faster. Starting a new game of The Last of Us, I had the stock HDD beating my sshd.
Screws can be different tightness man

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Question:

I am thinking about buying a 3.5 SSHD that will sit outside the drive bay.

It will most certainly look ugly, but I know I can get better performance than what the 2.5 SSHD provides.

Now my question is:

What is the best way to do it?

Question:

I am thinking about buying a 3.5 SSHD that will sit outside the drive bay.

It will most certainly look ugly, but I know I can get better performance than what the 2.5 SSHD provides.

Now my question is:

What is the best way to do it?

Well, in theory you can just buy a SATA > ESATA cable like this one (CA link, just as an example). The SATA end has the power and sata plug, and then it all outputs through the ESATA end, which you can connect to an external hard drive that supports it. The trick is that you might need an external that also has its own power supply because Nyko has shown that the 2.5" power feed is not enough for a 3.5" drive. (The Nyko powerbank uses a passthrough loop with the PS4's main power cable) You'll also need needlenose pliers to connect the cable to the SATA port as the drive bay is undoubtedly too narrow for most hands.

I guess you could try without the power feed and see what happens. It will either not turn on, work fine, or shut down whenever there's too much power draw. Hard to say.

If you want to go really ghetto, you could even just buy a docking station like this which provides the ESATA and power. Downside is there's absolutely no protection for your hard drive.

EmiPrime

I really wish there was a sshd with a cache size that was reflected in the price. Seagate are taking the Micky with the firecuda.

oRuin

Seriously considering picking up a Crucial MX300 750Gb. Should be plenty of space, I don't always have many games installed and patched. Them load times I'm seeing for Bloodborne and FFXV are incredible.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, in theory you can just buy a SATA > ESATA cable like this one (CA link, just as an example). The SATA end has the power and sata plug, and then it all outputs through the ESATA end, which you can connect to an external hard drive that supports it. The trick is that you might need an external that also has its own power supply because Nyko has shown that the 2.5" power feed is not enough for a 3.5" drive. (The Nyko powerbank uses a passthrough loop with the PS4's main power cable) You'll also need needlenose pliers to connect the cable to the SATA port as the drive bay is undoubtedly too narrow for most hands.

I guess you could try without the power feed and see what happens. It will either not turn on, work fine, or shut down whenever there's too much power draw. Hard to say.

If you want to go really ghetto, you could even just buy a docking station like this which provides the ESATA and power. Downside is there's absolutely no protection for your hard drive.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Most docking stations convert SATA to USB3.0 and I needed one that allowed for SATA to passthrough.

Shin-Ra

Looks like you boys convinced me. I'm getting the 850 EVO.

What's this about updating the firmware, tho?
850 EVO should be fine out of the box, the earlier 840 EVO had an issue with slow access to old data and it took many months for a lasting firmware update fix.

Has anyone tried the Momentus? I have one in my OG PS4 and it is great. Really fast load times. I'm almost always the first player to load into maps in multiplayer games. Haven't done any hard testing though.

Only goes up to 750GB, but it's a rare 7200rpm SSHD and it's pretty cheap too.

I'm considering transferring it to my Pro.

goonergaz

Ok, with my SSD turning up soon I have decided to carry out some tests...let me know if I'm missing any comparisons;

Please keep in mind each test will require a migration of data and to complete this I will need to to 4 migrations so will take some time!

Vindicator

Ok, with my SSD turning up soon I have decided to carry out some tests...let me know if I'm missing any comparisons;

Please keep in mind each test will require a migration of data and to complete this I will need to to 4 migrations so will take some time!

Thx, my Firecuda probably still won't have arrived when you're done.

Firecuda is back on Amazon.ca.

Killing_Joke said:
Literally just bought it before Firecuda stock arrived. On paper i know Firecuda is better but if the difference is minimal then i won't care to switch it out.

The advantage with using the Firecuda depends on what you're doing and the game you're playing.

First time install: minimal/zero s
First time loading an area: anywhere from 1.5s to 10s depending on game
Reloading an area (say, you died): Substantial benefit

As an example, loading a Quick Save in Dishonored 2 is what, 4-5 seconds? Sometimes less.

The savings add up over time (if you have a dozen loads during a play session, or you die/reload frequently, you're just going to have a faster experience overall) but it's not like a magic 2 second load across the board.

This is why timing out the loads is a tricky business, because to get a good picture of the benefit you would probably want to try ~10 games, and then load/reload in at least 5 areas of each. Some games, structurally, are just going to handle it differently, so you might see a big difference between, say, Fallout 4 (Open World) and Uncharted 4 (Restricted Region).

EmiPrime

Firecuda is back on Amazon.ca.

The advantage with using the Firecuda depends on what you're doing and the game you're playing.

First time install: minimal/zero s
First time loading an area: anywhere from 1.5s to 10s depending on game
Reloading an area (say, you died): Substantial benefit

As an example, loading a Quick Save in Dishonored 2 is what, 4-5 seconds? Sometimes less.

The savings add up over time (if you have a dozen loads during a play session, or you die/reload frequently, you're just going to have a faster experience overall) but it's not like a magic 2 second load across the board.

This is why timing out the loads is a tricky business, because to get a good picture of the benefit you would probably want to try ~10 games, and then load/reload in at least 5 areas of each. Some games, structurally, are just going to handle it differently, so you might see a big difference between, say, Fallout 4 (Open World) and Uncharted 4 (Restricted Region).

That's a very good point. The time saving over a 2-3 hour play session on one game is a more useful metric than a series of strict benchmarks.

I've gone for the Firecuda because I filled up my 1TB already and 2TB SSDs are too dear for me right now. Amazon were selling it for £140 but it's down to £110 now (out of stock however). I have a spare enclosure somewhere so my Xbox One will gain a TB of storage out of this too.

JP

Anyone been using the 2TB Barracuda?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Literally just bought it before Firecuda stock arrived. On paper i know Firecuda is better but if the difference is minimal then i won't care to switch it out.
I've been playing through the Modern Warfare Remaster and dying a lot (I always do in these games) and although I can't give you any figures to support this, restarting after dying is so quick to do. Because it uses a checkpoint system it's just reloading the same information so it's an ideal situation for an SSHD.

Obviously it doesn't offer the same benefits of using an SSD but the benefits I'm seeing are easily worth the cost of the SSHD for me. I did consider buying a full SSD but I would want at least 1GB of space after it was up and running with the OS on it and the benefits that it would offer just weren't worth the additional costs involved so the FireCuda was the ideal middle ground for me.

DESTROYA

I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread becuase I'm at work right now but how much more are load times/games with a SSD over the HDD in the pro?
I like the potential speed increase but little wary of a decent size SSD because of price.
Thanks.

Impulsor

I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread becuase I'm at work right now but how much more are load times/games with a SSD over the HDD in the pro?
I like the potential speed increase but little wary of a decent size SSD because of price.
Thanks.

FFXV for eample has 60 seconds load tiems with standard HDD versus 17 with SSD.

For example.

I put a 1tb SSD in my ps4 pro and I instantly noticed the better loading times in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Watch_dogs 2 I haven't comparedbut it loads really fast.

Can someone please help me know if this is a 2.5 or a 3.5? When I ordered it from Amazon it said 2.5 but the cardboard box says 3.5.

oLuDhso.jpg

awAQzQn.jpg

Sorry I'm still kinda new to all this.

zeorhymer

Seagate Guardian BarraCuda 2 TB Internal HDD ‑ 2.5

Product details
Brand: Seagate
Capacity: 2 TB
Connection: SATA
Form factor: 2.5 Inch Drive
Type: Internal
Rotational speed: 5400 rpm

demigod

Can someone please help me know if this is a 2.5 or a 3.5? When I ordered it from Amazon it said 2.5 but the cardboard box says 3.5.

Sorry I'm still kinda new to all this.

Did you just pay $100 for that? Were you looking for speed or just more storage? For $15 more you could've gotten the SSHD, well its out of stock now but they're receiving more on the 18th.

zeorhymer

Thanks.

From my personal and anecdotal evidence. Re-installed Bloodborn and holy shit, was the load time cut. Crazymoogle described it right. Install is the same since it's downloading the patches and whatnot. The first time, you go into an area would take a bit of time since it's caching the data first. But if you're going back to the same area either from loading a save or just double backing, it loads it up amazingly.

zeorhymer

Quick question: is the SanDisk ultra 2 sata 3 960 gig ssd drive compatible with the pro? Thanks.

Model

Brand : SanDisk
Series : Ultra II
Model :SDSSDHII-960G-G25
Device Type : Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Details

Form Factor : 2.5"
Capacity :960GB
Interface : SATA III

Magic 8 ball says "Yes"

Top Bottom