• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

TyrantII

So if I'm more of a personal who mostly uses physical discs instead of digital apps then the Firecuda isn't for me?

No. It isn't for you if you switch between a large number of games very frequently.

SSHDs do best if say you plan to mainly play the same title for weeks or months on end. They precache frequently used data to speed up preformance.

No. It isn't for you if you switch between a large number of games very frequently.

SSHDs do best if say you plan to mainly play the same title for weeks or months on end. They precache frequently used data to speed up preformance.
Hmm...only game I play pretty frequently is Overwatch. Also FFXV when it comes out. Both physical. But then I also play games and once I finish it I move on to the next one.

TyrantII

Hmm...only game I play pretty frequently is Overwatch. Also FFXV when it comes out. Both physical. But then I also play games and once I finish it I move on to the next one.

You'll probably see benefits then.

Either way, it's a 2TB $100 drive. It's a solid upgrade regardless of preformance

You'll probably see benefits then.

Either way, it's a 2TB $100 drive. It's a solid upgrade regardless of preformance
I guess. I mean I just got the Barracuda today but it's a 15 dollars difference. So not too bad. I have til the 18th to cancel it so I'll think about it real hard.

Shahed

I'm waiting to see what Black Friday deals there are for SSD's in the UK first. If nothing worthwhile, I'll just get the 750GB Crucial MX300.

Saying that I kind if need to get a Pro first! I just played Dravon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, and now playing Cold Steel II on PS3/Vita. Figured sinfe I wasn't getting an SSD until Blaxk Friday anyway and I'm not gonna be playing any Pro enhanced games until then, I'd wait to buy one. I wonder if there'll be Pro's in stock...

goonergaz

anyone have a link to the new f/w - Sony are still linking to 4.05 so I can't do jack

edit - found it, jesus what a PITA that was...

goonergaz

well what a right fecking royal pain in the arse today has been...

11:30am - SSD turns up, after much messing it appears it's the old f/w however I can only update the f/w on a SSD that is primary! So I had to ghost onto my new SSD - that took over 2 hours, then update the firmware.

3pm - finally in a position to start transferring my data - am forever getting timeout errors (NW- 31175-7) a real pain because the estimated time is just 40 mins :( - I try via router and estimate is 7 hours...finally give in to find I get the same flaming timeout error!

5pm - I manage to find a spare 320gb HDD, I'm going to use that to backup everything to and restore to the PS4s with the 3 HDDs I'm testing...jesus, the PS4 isn't recognising it,,,WTF?

5:45pm - seems it needed formatting into exFAT - all good to go, however backup estimate is 4 hours :(

what a nightmare, I hope the backup (when restored) doesn't get deleted - does anyone know? If it get's deleted I might have to call off all my tests because it'll take forever!

WTF doesn't the direct transfer just work - I done lots of searching, seems a common issue but no fixes?

Just checked again, and my order page now says "arriving Monday" so the 21st..which is awesome

Same here, and my card was charged this morning so looks like its shipping today.

What is everyone going to do with the replaced hard drives? I'm thinking of putting mine into my laptop. I think it has space for an extra drive last I checked.

NYHorn36

So I got my firecuda today and it's too small to fit in the caddy. Like it doesn't have the silver bottom thing that the stock PS4 drive has so it sinks too low and the screws don't line up.

Am I missing something here?

Shin-Ra

So I got my firecuda today and it's too small to fit in the caddy. Like it doesn't have the silver bottom thing that the stock PS4 drive has so it sinks too low and the screws don't line up.

Am I missing something here?
You have to hold the drive in place so the screw holes line up. Don't tighten until you've got all four in and only lightly tighten.

Naar

I was looking up changing the HDD on a PS4 and it says you have to install a file (i assume PS4 OS stuff) before I insert it into the PS4.

I thought the PS4 always formats a new drive? I guess this file won't delete though as its a PS OS file?

Also will I see any improvements using a EVO 850 pro over a regular EVO 850 on PS4 pro? even it its a tiny difference?

Swass

Same here, and my card was charged this morning so looks like its shipping today.

What is everyone going to do with the replaced hard drives? I'm thinking of putting mine into my laptop. I think it has space for an extra drive last I checked.

I hang on to the original hard drive, just throw it in the original PlayStation box so I can put it back when I go to sell it when the next model comes out.

Mrbob

topic should read get your SSHDs ready. I think majority here have the firecuda.
Yeah I bought one for my pro but that is because i mainly play one to two games at a time on ps4. Not sure what the other non ssd options are but if you play a bunch of different games the firecuda doesn't really benefit outside of your most recently played is learned.

Tratorn

So if you made a backup of your old PS4 on 4.05, can you only transfer it to PS4 Pro with the 4.05 firmware or is it also possible if the Pro is already on 4.06?

demigod

I was looking up changing the HDD on a PS4 and it says you have to install a file (i assume PS4 OS stuff) before I insert it into the PS4.

I thought the PS4 always formats a new drive? I guess this file won't delete though as its a PS OS file?

Also will I see any improvements using a EVO 850 pro over a regular EVO 850 on PS4 pro? even it its a tiny difference?

It does format it. All you need to do is download the full ps4 OS which is around 900 megs.

Make sure to deactivate other ps4 and make this your primary if you plan on remote playing.

goonergaz

It does format it. All you need to do is download the full ps4 OS which is around 900 megs.

Make sure to deactivate other ps4 and make this your primary if you plan on remote playing.

The only thing I'd add is that to make sure it's 4.06 you download and not 4.05 because 4.05 won't work.

So, download onto a USB stick the 870.340kb .PUP file (870.182kb is old f/w - and once you boot up it will ask for the file.

As for the Evo comparison, I'd say highly unlikely because SSDs aren't being maximised.

JustDrive

Stuck an MX300 I'm mine and I've been very impressed thus far, If I have to reload in R&C loading is more or less instantaneous and WD2 it's less than 10 seconds, glad I went all in on SSD.

Schnozberry

SSHD blows compared to SSD, it really does.

The prices of SSD's continue to blow for any kind of capacity. The 2TB SSHD can be had for 1/5th or less of the price of a comparably sized SSD, and in the PS4 you're going to get 60-70% of the performance of the SSD in most situations. The value proposition is much higher at this point.

Naar

The only thing I'd add is that to make sure it's 4.06 you download and not 4.05 because 4.05 won't work.

So, download onto a USB stick the 870.340kb .PUP file (870.182kb is old f/w - and once you boot up it will ask for the file.

As for the Evo comparison, I'd say highly unlikely because SSDs aren't being maximised.

Yup don't worry I was planning on downloading the lastest firmware before I do this. I get my PS Pro on Sunday and wasn't planning on downloading anything before Saturday

Stuck an MX300 I'm mine and I've been very impressed thus far, If I have to reload in R&C loading is more or less instantaneous and WD2 it's less than 10 seconds, glad I went all in on SSD.
Good to hear. I got the MX300 being delivered this weekend. Was also considering the Mushkin Reactor, but I read it's rated for much less write volume than the MX.

jfoul

During a PS4 backup does the external storage need to be empty? Worried it's going to wipe the external during backup, since I have other data on it that I don't want to move.

Edit: Nvm, it needs to be reformatted to ex/FAT anyway.

During a PS4 backup does the external storage need to be empty? Worried it's going to wipe the external during backup, since I have other data on it that I don't want to move.

PS4 stores data in a specific folder so it won't wipe other content on the drive...but yeah, needs to be exFAT. Sony isn't paying for an NTFS license

FYI for future knowledge, no it doesn't need to be empty as long as there's enough space and correct format. I put the 2TB from my old PS4 back into its external enclosure, but I'm going to leave it as exFAT so I can use it for both the Pro and my PC.

Wavebossa

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRFFAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, this.

Keep in mind, everyone, that SSDs are already starting to move past SATA so Samsung's 900-series PCIe m.2s won't really give you a benefit because of the SATA bottleneck.

The 960 Pro/Evo, for example, is about to drop this month and does over 3 GIGABYTES PER SECOND as opposed to what you see here, which is around 500mb/s, but since this is SATA you won't get that speed even with some sort of adapter.

Not sure if anyone else has already pointed this out but you do realize that we are talking about the PS4Pro supporting Sata3, not Sata first gen right?

Top Bottom