• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Forgot about this thread. Seems to load quick enough with the stock 1TB.

Maybe at some point in the future I'll take the 1TB Samsung SSD out of my stupid windows computer I never use. (except for Overwatch).

I'm really not sure where to ask this, but does anyone know if the Nyko Data Bank or the Dongcoh Game Bar works for the PS4 pro? I'm leaning more towards the Dongcoh game bar, but I can't find a concrete answer if it'll work with the new system, since the hard drive is in a different place.

I know that it may not look as elegant (it already doesn't with the regular PS4, lol). But I care more about function. Even if it doesn't look great, will it still WORK with the PS4 pro? I can't find a concrete answer on the web and would like to know before I bite on the purchase.

I'm really not sure where to ask this, but does anyone know if the Nyko Data Bank or the Dongcoh Game Bar works for the PS4 pro? I'm leaning more towards the Dongcoh game bar, but I can't find a concrete answer if it'll work with the new system, since the hard drive is in a different place.

I know that it may not look as elegant (it already doesn't with the regular PS4, lol). But I care more about function. Even if it doesn't look great, will it still WORK with the PS4 pro? I can't find a concrete answer on the web and would like to know before I bite on the purchase.

I doubt either of them work. The Pro has a hard drive connected in a totally different place/path and the Nyko is sculpted to fit with the original PS4. At best you'd need to buy some SATA extension cables or something.

1TB Samsung 850 Evo is $249.99 on Amazon right now with same day shipping in a lot of places. Best price ever on Amazon by about $50, and only a bit more expensive than the lesser brand 1TBs (all of those are around $220-240).

Just bit for my Pro, can't wait.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRFFAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
What's the difference between this SSD and "lesser (cheaper?) brands"? Just wanna be sure before I bite.

If not for my pro, I'll throw it in my PC I eventually build.

What's the difference between this SSD and "lesser (cheaper?) brands"? Just wanna be sure before I bite.

If not for my pro, I'll throw it in my PC I eventually build.

Probably no difference for the Pro; the advantages are thoroughput for PC rigs. Samsung is basically the gold consumer standard though, if you want a top tier fast and reliable SSD.

crim

Banned
Oh man, its a jungle out there with SSD's now.
Anyone care to shed some light on the matter?

I'm mostly wondering what to prioritize when buying a SSD for the PS4 Pro.

Is it the Cache size? the Read/Write speed? Random Read/Write IOPS? Overall GB capacity? and so on...

Every bit of help is appreciated.

//Crim

holygeesus

Banned
I don't think specs really matter for the Pro as they don't make the most of SSDs anyway really. Just buy the cheapest. To be honest, despite only having a SSHD, I am not noticing load times as being particularly bothersome, so I can't justify the cost of a drive that will only save a few seconds.

aaronwt

I put my 2TB Firecuda in my PS4 Pro yesterday. It was very easy and then I copied my data from my 2013 PS4(with a 1TB 7200rpm drive) over my GigE network. It only took 3 hours and 5 minutes to copy 804GB. Which worked out to an average transfer speed of 550Mb/s.

It's not like I timed anything, but things do seem to be loading faster than with the stock Toshiba MQ01ABD100, 1TB drive. I think just the larger cache alone would help. Since the Toshiba only has 8MB cache, while the Firecuda has a 128MB cache.(And then of course the Firecuda has the 8GB of flash memory, but not sure how much of a difference that will make for me since I typically use Rest Mode)

Then the stock Toshiba uses 500GB platters. While the FIrecuda uses 1TB platters. So the higher platter density should also make it faster. I know the throughput specs of the Firecuda were close to the specs of the 7200 rpm Hitachi drive I have in my 2013 PS4. And the Firecuda does at least have a five year warranty too.

StereoVsn

By all reports FFXV has iffy loading times with regular HD. SSD makes thing snappy though, I am estimating at least 50% reduction in load (in comparison with regular PS4 with normal drive). Getting 20 sec load on game load and about 10-12 sec on fast traveling with travel to the car in low single digits.

And yeah, buy the cheapest SSD from reputable company (Crucial, Sandisk, Samsung, Intel).

EmiPrime

I ordered my firecuda 2TB from Amazon 3 weeks ago and they still don't know when they will get them in. :( I really hope it arrives before Christmas.

On the bright side I bought it for £109 and it's now gone up to £146!

SAiLO

By all reports FFXV has iffy loading times with regular HD. SSD makes thing snappy though, I am estimating at least 50% reduction in load (in comparison with regular PS4 with normal drive). Getting 20 sec load on game load and about 10-12 sec on fast traveling with travel to the car in low single digits.

And yeah, buy the cheapest SSD from reputable company (Crucial, Sandisk, Samsung, Intel).

I have played FFXV on old PS4 and Pro both equipped with SSD and loading times were pretty quick. Not had a chance to check it on a normal HDD for comparison.

I'm only using about 150gb of the 1tb SSD I put in my old desktop machine, I figured I could move this to my PS4 Pro, since I'm already up to 600gb on there.

Then I looked at current SSD prices... even buying a 200gb replcaement SSD for the desktop machine is suddenly looking ridiculously expensive.

I guess I mostly play multiplayer, load times aren't an issue when you have to wait for others to load anyway.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm only using about 150gb of the 1tb SSD I put in my old desktop machine, I figured I could move this to my PS4 Pro, since I'm already up to 600gb on there.

Then I looked at current SSD prices... even buying a 200gb replcaement SSD for the desktop machine is suddenly looking ridiculously expensive.

I guess I mostly play multiplayer, load times aren't an issue when you have to wait for others to load anyway.

SSD that size vary from $60-$90 no?

LQX

Bought the 2TB SSHD as I thought space would be better than space but I have pretty much installed all my purchases and man I'm not even over 400GB. Ugh, I should have went with speed especially being that I had an 1TB SSD not getting any use.

Changing pro hard drive to a st2000lx001, it's too small?

I looked at various hard dives before getting one and this was the one that many people on the internet said was the best to get and would fit a PS4 pro, yet the old hard drive was just removed and the st2000lx001 doesn't fit the screw placements in the hard drive case.

What's going on?

Should I 'screw' in the screws and they will be above the hard drive rather than going into it.

Or try and find something to prop up the hdd?

Kyoufu

Changing pro hard drive to a st2000lx001, it's too small?

I looked at various hard dives before getting one and this was the one that many people on the internet said was the best to get and would fit a PS4 pro, yet the old hard drive was just removed and the st2000lx001 doesn't fit the screw placements in the hard drive case.

What's going on?

Should I 'screw' in the screws and they will be above the hard drive rather than going into it.

Or try and find something to prop up the hdd?

It's not too small. You can still line up the screws and screw them in, it just won't sit flush like the regular drive does.

Love my 1TB SSD so far. Don't regret at all. I do have to manage my space a bit, but it's worth it IMO. I don't need 2TB of space filled up when I only play 1 single player game and at time and maybe two MP games.

Shoeless

Love my 1TB SSD so far. Don't regret at all. I do have to manage my space a bit, but it's worth it IMO. I don't need 2TB of space filled up when I only play 1 single player game and at time and maybe two MP games.

This is how I worked at the start of the generation with my original PS4. I upgraded from the stock 500GB to a 1 TB hybrid. For the Pro I got one of the cheaper 1 TB SSDS on sale, and it's been working pretty well. I usually only play a few games at a time, so I just delete games I don't plan on playing for a while (or ever again) to make sure there's room on the drive.

Dileas

I was watching this video on PS4 hacking and found this bit of info to be quite surprising.

https://youtu.be/6hxEUm-pHUE?t=299

Turns out that the PS4 uses USB to interface with its hard drive, rather than using SATA.

This is probably one of the reasons why PS4 HDD and SSD speeds aren't as fast as they should be.

LordOfChaos

Haven't followed everything in this thread, last I checked, the SATA III Pro wasn't significantly faster than the SATA II base PS4 with an SSD. This was critiqued as having only tested base PS4 games, maybe limiting even the bus to PS4 speeds if it limited the CPU. Have PS4 Pro patched games been tested, and if so are they any faster?

Not expecting so, but it would be nice.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Haven't followed everything in this thread, last I checked, the SATA III Pro wasn't significantly faster than the SATA II base PS4 with an SSD. This was critiqued as having only tested base PS4 games, maybe limiting even the bus to PS4 speeds if it limited the CPU. Have PS4 Pro patched games been tested, and if so are they any faster?

Not expecting so, but it would be nice.

There was a more recent test and it showed the same, Pro slightly faster than regular. Essentially:
SSD>>SSHD>>>>>>>Stock on average

Top Bottom