• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting A Job As A Game Designer

Not that I'm planning on enrolling in a "Game Design" course or anything, but I do wonder ... what's the process generally like for someone to become an actual game designer?

Not a programmer or artist, but the guy in charge of actually designing the game ... because it doesn't seem like guys like Miyamoto, Kojima, or Will Wright worked as game programmers and then just were promoted up to being designers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
you dont have to know anything about games or computers just walk ina nd be like ****in give me a job i wanna design games and they will be like okay

If they say no, start a blog and then like walk in and be all YO READ MY BLOG GIVE ME A JOB. And they should give you a job.

Thats what i hope will happen anyway.

thorns

Banned
I would say:

- Designing some "traditional games" (i.e. board, card)
- Writing a design document for a game idea of yours
- Working as a designer for some mods

So basically something that will show that you understand the fundamentals of game mechanics, balance, game 'rules' etc etc.

Step 1:

Borrow One Million Dollars.

Step 2:

Hire some programmers and artists.

Step 3:

Declare yourself to be in charge and therefore the designer.

demi

Connections, connections, CONNECTIONS

Get yourself out there, go to conventions, GDC, E3, etc

NETWORK YOURSELF

Even if you hate the person, talk to them as if you care, get them to know you, swap business cards, numbers, contacts

**** i just got a bloody nose hold on

I see.

I'm just wondering though, usually when they have those "Game Design" courses at various colleges and what not ... there's no actual course for a person who wants to be a "Game Designer" (unless I'm wrong, throw me a link).

It's kinda like a film school not having a course for directing.

demi

You gotta know how things work, first

I want to drive a car, but I still gotta know how the car works

probably a bad example

demi said:

probably a bad example

Another example might be:

I want to sculpt, but it really helps to be able to draw beforehand so I know how to build it up in my mind.

Yeah that's another bad example. Nevermind.

demi said:

probably a bad example

Yeah I understand that, but there just seems to be this gap.

I guess some people would say become an artist/programmer ... but I don't think people really get promoted to be a game designer by being an artist/programmer.

So aren't those game design courses pretty much pointless for someone who wants to design games and not code them?

Gazunta

Yeah Sporks pretty much nailed it. When we try to see who will be taking care of the game design of a multi-million dollar project, we try to give the job to anyone who walks in through the door with no experience or knowledge of game development. I mean they're really keen and into games so that's pretty much all you need to be a game designer.

What the hell is wrong with people

soundwave05 said:
but I don't think people really get promoted to be a game designer by being an artist/programmer.

Hold on, are you talking about being a designer or being a producer? The producer steers the project in their desired direction, designers fill in xml files with numbers and plot down AI paths.

Gazunta

NintendoGal said:
Another example might be:

I want to sculpt, but it really helps to be able to draw beforehand so I know how to build it up in my mind.

Yeah that's another bad example. Nevermind.
I think a more apt example is someone who doesn't have a driver's license asking how to be a Formula One racing car driver. Learn to drive.

Every company is different in how game designers are promoted / trained. Some start in QA (ahem), some work as artists, programmers, level editors, environment builders, concept artists...whatever. The only thing stopping yourself from learning new skills is you, so don't tell yourself that if you become an artist you can't be a designer. It's another skill set that will take years to even get half a clue about (disclaimer: i never said i even have a quarter of a clue. This is part art, part science. part voodoo)

marvelharvey said:
Hold on, are you talking about being a designer or being a producer? The producer steers the project in their desired direction, designers fill in xml files with numbers and plot down AI paths.

Basically a designer/director or producer I guess.

I was watching Electric Playground and they were showing a day on the job of a designer (I think, I don't think he was a producer) ... and basically he's the head of the project, they have a meeting in the morning and plan out what they want to do for the day, and then he goes from cubicle to cubicle kinda checking in on people.

Luckett_X

Banned
I'm personally going to follow the indie developer route first. Work on some amateur stuff (that should undoubtedly show up some 'professional' stuff), get my name out there and build up some contacts.

I was on a Games Design course, that focussed on the design side, but the uni completely failed us in the last year with no industry contact whatsoever, which was a massive disappointment. So now I'm back to the drawing board!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ring/email the companies you want to work for and tell them about everything that's wrong with the games they've made, and how as a designer you could make better games than they have.

they will be so impressed by your ability to observe, analyse, and your process of reflective improvement that you'll be hired instantly!

srsly

marvelharvey said:
as I understand it, what you're describing for the Producer is actually the Lead Designer's or Creative Director's role.

Vashu

Starting up some indie company is a good way to let yourself be known these days. That, and keep on enhancing your portfolio. Write some design documents, put your ideas to paper and perhaps talk to people with the same interests but different skills. For example, when creating an indie game, you need at least 3 or 4 people. The designer (yourself), the artist (you could be both, but could give you a lot of extra work), the 2d/3d modeller and the programmer.

And like someone else already said, start networking.

To sum things up, here's a list of all viable options you can choose from

- Networking
- Indie gaming/mod designing
- Follow a study
- Create a board/card game
- Slap yourself

Or, you can combine them, like I am doing right now.. Well, except the slapping part. :p

Vashu said:
Starting up some indie company is a good way to let yourself be known these days. That, and keep on enhancing your portfolio. Write some design documents, put your ideas to paper and perhaps talk to people with the same interests but different skills. For example, when creating an indie game, you need at least 3 or 4 people. The designer (yourself), the artist (you could be both, but could give you a lot of extra work), the 2d/3d modeller and the programmer.

And like someone else already said, start networking.

To sum things up, here's a list of all viable options you can choose from

- Networking
- Indie gaming/mod designing
- Follow a study
- Create a board/card game
- Slap yourself

Or, you can combine them, like I am doing right now.. Well, except the slapping part. :p

That's cool. Good luck with that.

poppin fresh said:
Faster if you sleep with the right people.

Denis_Dyak.jpg

I would say try and make & promote somethng yourself and see where you get, some people can get to that kind of status if they know the right people but from scratch you are better off trying to make something and maybe sticking it on a website, etc.

Do that, or get a huge loan and hire a team :)

Gaming Steve has a podcast on this topic, go search through his archives.

His advice in a nutshell is: make a game!

It doesn't have to be the next Halo or GTA. Just make some ratty little game, and then make another, and another, etc.

Gazunta

soundwave05 said:
I was watching Electric Playground and they were showing a day on the job of a designer (I think, I don't think he was a producer) ... and basically he's the head of the project, they have a meeting in the morning and plan out what they want to do for the day, and then he goes from cubicle to cubicle kinda checking in on people.

Sounds like the Producer.

Vashu

soundwave05 said:
That's cool. Good luck with that.

Thanks. And to add to that, I think you should have a certain quality not many people have. You know, when you have a vision and you are able to convey that to other people (like artists and composers and stuff). Without that certain quality, it gets a lot harder to actually bring your idea out to the world.

For example, I am not much of an artist, but I have a certain world in mind and want others to create it in, let's say, concept art. How do you go about that, and that sort of stuff. Miyamoto, Kojima and Wright, they manage to do that, that's why I look up to them. They know what they want, how to create it, and get people generally interested into making it.

This week or the next, I get confirmation if I can enroll into a gamedesign study here in The Netherlands. It's in it's 4th year, and it has been changed, enhanced and altered with the help of IGDA (International Game Developers Association). So it's pretty much the best one out there, from what I understand. At least in Europe. If I do, a whole new world opens up where I can pique people's interest and generally have a lot of fun creating said games. Build up contacts, work with friends on small Flash and Java-based games and the like. Create mods using the Source Engine for example, or just start from scratch and create something entirely new.

I already do some of that stuff, but this just opens up a lot of doors.

sprsk

hey i made a card game in college based on virtua fighter, maybe i can be a game designer!

Juice

Haha, you guys are so delightfully beautiful. Poor guy.

If only he knew how terrible it was to actually BE a game designer.

Juice said:

Yeah, those guys in QA keep telling everyone on the team to tighten up level 5

soundwave05 said:
I guess some people would say become an artist/programmer ... but I don't think people really get promoted to be a game designer by being an artist/programmer.

No, that can happen. If I remember correctly (I'm took lazy to fact check right now), but the director of God of War II was the lead animator on God of War. Anyway, you'd be surprised at the paths guys have gone through. Bottom line, it's really not a position you just walk into unless you're really lucky.

Sounds like you might need to do a little more research on the position/industry. Sounds like you're basing your entire decision from one TV show you saw that more than likely only showed you the best parts.

Furoba

Swap identities with a recognized game designer. It is easier to do during crunch time, as most designers will be weakened and close to a nervous breakdown. They are especially vulnerable to shifts in their caffeine levels, or news of missed deadlines/targets. Also, since they practically live at their desk, their family won't report them as missing.

You'll have to find a way to get rid of the body though. This might be the first task to test your creativity. Good luck.

Vashu

Juice said:

What, you mean work hard and do overtime, go into crunch-mode? Everybody knows that.. That is, if you did your research. :D

sky

You absolutely can go in as an artist or programmer, and then eventually work your way through the ranks to designer. That happens. But to get in, you need a more tangible skill that the company can use right away (art, programming, etc). Plus knowing what goes on in the trenches to get a game shipped will be invaluable knowledge to you as a designer.

Gooboo

I have a really simple process for people who want to work in design at my company. Lots of people always ask how they can get into design. I tell them they just need to write up a game design document - a real one not some arty farty idea for a game but sit down and actually think and write down how the damn thing fits together.

In 7 years I've gotten about a half dozen of them. Those people work in design now. Most people just talk about their "ideas". Ideas aren't worth shit and they don't help the team much on build night. Anyone who has the gumption to sit down and do the work can be taught the rest on the job.

And while I'm at it the designer is the one who gets all the blame if a project is bad (even iff the team doesn't read the spec), there's never enough design, and people expect you to get every part of the game right first on paper even though they don't follow what you write.

Oh and don't think you get to make your own game just because you own the company. You STILL have to get a publisher to buy off on the project, if you want anyone to actually play your game.

Did I mention that it is the best job in the world?

Steve S. (a game designer and drawing guy)

sprsk

Gooboo said:
I have a really simple process for people who want to work in design at my company. Lots of people always ask how they can get into design. I tell them they just need to write up a game design document - a real one not some arty farty idea for a game but sit down and actually think and write down how the damn thing fits together.

In 7 years I've gotten about a half dozen of them. Those people work in design now. Most people just talk about their "ideas". Ideas aren't worth shit and they don't help the team much on build night. Anyone who has the gumption to sit down and do the work can be taught the rest on the job.

And while I'm at it the designer is the one who gets all the blame if a project is bad (even iff the team doesn't read the spec), there's never enough design, and people expect you to get every part of the game right first on paper even though they don't follow what you write.

Oh and don't think you get to make your own game just because you own the company. You STILL have to get a publisher to buy off on the project, if you want anyone to actually play your game.

Did I mention that it is the best job in the world?

Steve S. (a game designer and drawing guy)

i dont suppose you could link us to a full on design document.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sp0rsk said:
i dont suppose you could link us to a full on design document.
there are a few "templates" around. check google.

edit: and even "full on" design documents for released indie games.

Vashu

As an addendum:

Writing a good design document is a lot of work though, it can take a very long time if you don't commit to it to the fullest. And what Gooboo said, you can have ideas, but you have to be able to put them to words and make it easy to understand. Understanding the industry is key, and of course, like sky mentioned, you have to have a tangible skill.

And that's why I myself am going to follow that study, if I am going to be accepted, to hone my skills in leveldesigning and per chance modelling. Although my real forté lies in the art of written text, i.e. script, scenario and storytelling.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
marvelharvey said:
Yeah, those guys in QA keep telling everyone on the team to tighten up level 5
I hope I'm not the only one that caught and enjoyed this one.

WE GOTTA TIGHTEN UP THESE GRAPHICS

sp0rsk said:
you dont have to know anything about games or computers just walk ina nd be like ****in give me a job i wanna design games and they will be like okay

If they say no, start a blog and then like walk in and be all YO READ MY BLOG GIVE ME A JOB. And they should give you a job.

i'm going to try this

Top Bottom