• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting hammered right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

snow16fq.jpg

snow20rd.jpg

snow34og.jpg

snow46co.jpg

snow54oz.jpg

Still ongoing.. 40cm already on the ground... 5-10cm more coming. 100km/hr winds are the kicker though. I can't believe I'm typing this right now. I guess the power will go down at any moment.

Oh.. this is St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada btw. The highest annual snowfall of any city over 100,000 population in North America.

pestul

Unfortunately, I just had an alcohol-free hot chocolate.

I'll probably still have to go to work tomorrow...

Memles

This must be what we got on Thursday (Nova Scotia, here. Wolfville currently). We only got 10-15 from it, though. We're getting 20-40 tomorrow, with 70km/h winds gusting to 100km/h, so it'll look quite similar to that by Monday Morning. In the past week, we got 20-30 on Monday, 10-15 on Thursday, and now tomorrow is 20-40...so let's just say that the snow is piling up pretty fast at the moment. Should be fun.

Nothing beats Halifax's metre of Snow last February. That was awesome.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I wish we had this kind of weather -- but no, I'm in San Francisco, and it's overcast and 50/10 degrees like every other day...

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm getting stoned too

Wait, what are we talking about?

But I actually hate the snow right now. I wanted a storm like this so bad, but during school. No, it happens on the weekend when I could be cruising around right now.

pestul

Memles said:
This must be what we got on Thursday (Nova Scotia, here. Wolfville currently). We only got 10-15 from it, though. We're getting 20-40 tomorrow, with 70km/h winds gusting to 100km/h, so it'll look quite similar to that by Monday Morning. In the past week, we got 20-30 on Monday, 10-15 on Thursday, and now tomorrow is 20-40...so let's just say that the snow is piling up pretty fast at the moment. Should be fun.

Nothing beats Halifax's metre of Snow last February. That was awesome.
Yeah, that one storm you guys had was incredible. I know quite a few people in the halifax area (lived in NS for almost 9yrs), and they all said it was quite bad. I think we'll top off at like 50-55cm with this one. Then we're expected to get that system you mentioned for monday probably bringing another 20cm and high winds. :p

In 2001 we had 640cm of snow... yeah that's 21ft. ;)

Loki

Count of Concision
Yeah, same here in Brooklyn, NY (the snow, that is, not the alcohol :D). We've got about 6-8" on the ground already, and it's scheduled to continue into tomorrow, with ~ 15" total accumulation expected.

Just chilling, watching the Halloween movie marathon on AMC, and gonna play some Mario 64 in a bit. I figure I'll do some initial shovelling around 9 or so, and do the rest tomorrow after it has officially stopped.

Iceman

A local story on the mini-blizzard of last night here in Madison:

' What began as light flurries Friday afternoon turned into blizzard-like conditions by nightfall, blanketing south-central Wisconsin in white.

The storm came down from Canada into the Great Lakes region and was expected to bring anywhere from 4 to 9 inches to south-central and southeastern Wisconsin and 6 to 12 inches near Lake Superior, according to the National Weather Service.

Bob Lindmeier of Weather Central measured 5 inches of snow at 10:30 p.m. Friday and said another 2 to 3 inches of snow would accumulate before ending at mid-morning today.

The heavy snow snarled the evening commute - the Beltline crawled along at 30 to 40 mph - and made nighttime driving dangerous. Sgt. Barry Reynolds of the Middleton Police Department described the roads as "tough."'

Wha? I was ON the beltline and I don't think I ever went faster than 15 mph. Plus we were basically just making up lanes as we went along. After everyone finally went home I was bookin' around at about 30-35 mph though.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Damn, it's crazy over here, too - 70 degrees and sunny in Phoenix, Arizona. I may have to wear a sweater tonight.

:lol

nice and cozy here in SA, too. 65+ with a nice, gentle breeze.

anyway, what's with this cm/km stuff? can someone translate?

Memles

Drozmight said:
40 cm is probably about 1.5 feet

30cm = 1 foot.

Thus, 40cm = 1 1/3 feet or 16 inches.

1 inch = 2.5cm

It's not that hard.

And 1 mile is like...2+ kms. 2.4 maybe? I'm not sure.

:lol Snowfall envy!

I got no inches :(

I really am jealous, England fucking sucks for everything except summer. Every place has its swings and roundabouts, and summer is generally one of our roundabouts. Everyone freaks out because they aren't used to waking up happy, and all the misery that gets unwittingly steeped into them throughout the rest of the year comes baking out like a release of psychedelic, psychological steam. There was a Tank Girl comic called Summer Love Sensation that really got to the bottom of this phenomenon. Stonehenge suddenly makes a silent kind of sense.

Anyway, summer talk's probably in bad taste right here, so I'ma shut up. Good luck staying alive, people.

sat_night_fever.jpg

Loki

Count of Concision
Just shovelled my house and my neighbor's with my father. Correction: 9-10" so far, not 6-8". :D

And it's not going to stop until tomorrow, when I'll have to shovel it again. :(

pestul

Couple more pics..

snow65zy.jpg

snow71ab.jpg

In the bottom pic.. the black thing in the middle-left of the screen is a pickup truck. Only the top of the roof is sticking out.

Brannon

I am insanely jealous of your excess of snow that you aren't sharing with us Atlantans. It's about 28 degrees here give or take, with cold ice winds blowing hard (YES), but still no snow. When will we be blessed with God's dandruff? WHHHHEEEEEEEENNNN?

marsomega

Thgat ris really cvoool. I Live in miami, thus I've never seen snowed nor has it snowed here but it seems very nice. Makes crhistmass chrismatss from what I hear. I thought this ment you were getting drunk though. Right now I'm pretty buzzed. One of my old managers who is now a general managegrr at his own store treated me. Paid for my tabbed and basically made me drinkz for fere. I'm pretty buzzed right now and I feel good. And man do I wish i had some snowe it would be great. It wouldn feel like christmass.. Even though tis januaryh.

PS., Im only onhere to see fi they locked that damn thread. Damn jerks.

Loki

Count of Concision
marsomega said:
Thgat ris really cvoool. I Live in miami, thus I've never seen snowed nor has it snowed here but it seems very nice. Makes crhistmass chrismatss from what I hear. I thought this ment you were getting drunk though. Right now I'm pretty buzzed. One of my old managers who is now a general managegrr at his own store treated me. Paid for my tabbed and basically made me drinkz for fere. I'm pretty buzzed right now and I feel good. And man do I wish i had some snowe it would be great. It wouldn feel like christmass.. Even though tis januaryh.

I don't think you really had to tell us you were drunk... ;) :p

android

Theoretical Magician

Your keyboard kinda spinning right now? :lol

marsomega

God's Hand said:
marsomega, who asked you for your life story and to derail the thread?

Hey Pestul, this looks insane:

snow54oz.jpg

Hope you survive.

Meh, I went off topic and got into it a bit. it happens. Fixed. Quit pouting.
That snow imprint is pretttyy.

Brannon

Another episode of when 1's and 0's partake of the liquid courage :p

As for relationships, I've been jaded since day one of life I figure. The whole point of the courtship ritual is to score or be with her or at least get the girl as a status symbol, but if you don't care about competing with others or being with somebody to "complete" you or scoring, what's the point? I just don't care for the whole thing.

marsomega

DJ Brannon said:
Another episode of when 1's and 0's partake of the liquid courage :p

As for relationships, I've been jaded since day one of life I figure. The whole point of the courtship ritual is to score or be with her or at least get the girl as a status symbol, but if you don't care about competing with others or being with somebody to "complete" you or scoring, what's the point? I just don't care for the whole thing.

I wish I could brannon, but it's futile to say it doesn't have its effect on me. I'm going to starrt another thread tomarrow about it, I have had some great conversations with people on here before on certain things relating to the game I guess and hopfully they are still here. It is really a gift, to not care about anything.

pestul

The aftermath..

snow80yk.jpg

snow97io.jpg

Only we're getting another foot of snow tonight... :X

Blizzard warning in effect.
Tonight .. A few flurries ending this evening then cloudy with snow at times heavy and blowing snow beginning near midnight. Amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming east 20 this evening then increasing to 50 gusting to 80 overnight. Temperature rising to minus 2 by morning.
Monday .. Snow at times heavy mixed with ice pellets changing to rain in the morning. Snowfall amount 10 to 15 cm. Rainfall amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind southeast 50 km/h gusting to 80 increasing to 70 gusting to 110 in the morning. High plus 5.
110km/hr (68mph) winds.. jesus.

Memles

Man...you're getting another 10-15 and then RAIN and Ice Pellets on top of that? That's crazy.

We're getting hammered by the 25-35 right now...it's only getting windier. The area outside my window is kind of like a wind tunnel, so it's not staying down too much. Should be interesting what it's like tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for class cancellation.

Loki

Count of Concision
Yeah, we "only" got about 15-16" here in NYC, but the winds are ridiculous. We were outside shovelling this morning and kept getting pelted with walls of fine flying snow. :lol

My car is TOTALLY snowed in, even though I shovelled enough to clear my driver-side door and my exhaust pipe. I don't think I'll be able to use it until at least thursday, but supposedly we're going to get more snow on wednesday. :(

tt_deeb

We got a little under 2 feet here on Long Island, and supposedly another inch last night which turned out to be like a cm.

I've never seen snow like this most I've seen irl is like 4inches and I think I was like 6 years old at the time. Since then 2 inches max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom