• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting On - A dark new comedy from the creators of Big Love - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a great episode - fantastically funny with a beautiful ending. I'll be extra annoyed if that was the final episode since I really want to see how things pan out after the hospice debacle, but if it is cancelled, I thought the ending did a good job of closing things out on a thematic level, if not a story one.

I haven't heard any rumors about the show's fate, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if tonight's episode was the show's last. Horrible ratings (lower than the first season), no critical acclaim to speak of, no awards recognition, no outpouring of love in support of a third season, no buzz/discussion/social media presence (not that any of those things helped Enlightened any...). Nothing. The only things that I can think of that might save the show is if it's extraordinarily cheap to produce (which I think it might be...?) or if HBO wanted to keep Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer happy for some reason.

Nivert

Really liked the show and I'll be disappointed if they don't renew but I'm not expecting them to unfortunately.

DJ_Lae

Damn, that was the finale? Great episode, but now I'm curious to see what happens to them after the whole hospice shitshow.

I'll also admit that part of my interest in the show is my own role in funding long term care facilities.

Leunam

Happy to hear it. I wonder what the fallout from the investigation at the end of the previous season will be. Hopefully they find a way to pin it solely on the health care rep.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Getting On has averaged a gross audience of 1.6 million viewers per episode. By successfully keeping the budget at a reasonable level, HBO has been able to keep the well-reviewed series on the air for three seasons.

If only they had been able to successfully keep Enlightened's budget at a reasonable level...

weeping

UrbanRats

I'm gonna catch up on S2 as soon as i ave time.
Knowing that it won't go on forever is actually an incentive in doing that.

neshcom

Banned
Caught up on this after seeing the new season promos and good god is Alex Borstein amazing on this. Damn, the gift basket episode was really heartbreaking, even for as telegraphed as it was. She's just under the line of being a cartoon and it makes her ups and downs so much more relatable. Really looking forward to the new season and how they resolve from the previous.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The final season premieres tonight!

This Is About Vomit, People

Season 3 begins eight months after the exposure of Dr. James' corporate-hospice scandal, but she panics when she inadvertently meets her replacement. Meanwhile, the staff is at odds over a mess that won't clean itself up.

DSFan1970

Had no idea this show existed. When I read the OP was like oh this looks good. Then saw the post date. Amazing. This cast looks amazing. Looks like I have some watching to do.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I mean, that scene with the robo doctor running over the dead woman's arm? And then when Dawn stayed behind on the monitor in the empty house after the EMTs had taken the old woman's body out? Good lord. This show is so deft at juggling hilarity with pathos.

This show is so damn good. I'm happy HBO decided to give us one final season of this tragicomedic gem.

DJ_Lae

Oh shit, I forgot it was on last night. I'll have to see if there's another airing, otherwise it'll take a good week before HBO Canada dumps it up on their on demand service.

Great episode. Looks like this season is going to go out with a bang.
Really liked Dr Jenna James' closing remarks.

"But now I think we all should be ashamed to die until we score some victory for humanity.

...And time's a wasting"

That's probably foreshadowing someone's upcoming death in the show. Dawn might be a red herring though..probably Dr James.

This show is so good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Don't Let It Get in You or on You

An infectious disease crisis tests the limits of the staff's patience and abilities; Dawn's sister-in-law brings some family drama to the ward; Dr. James is drawn to a patient with a link to a horrific past; Dawn is encouraged by a change in Patsy's mood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

No, I Don't Want a F. Smiley Face

Workplace politics catch Dr. James by surprise while she's getting ready for a conference; Dawn mulls an unusual request from Patsy when his mother pays a visit; the staff deals with a cancer patient who has a history of daring escapes; DiDi's mother-in-law comes to Billy Barnes for treatment.

UrbanRats

Watched the first 2 ep. of this season.

This show is phenomenal, in how well it handles comedy, dark comedy and outright drama, jumping from one to the other seamlessly, without ever feeling cheap or unearned.
Especially the heartfelt, dramatic parts, never feel too melodramatic or like they're talking down to you, and when it feels like they are crossing that line, they usually bring it back with a (gentle) comedic spin.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This show is phenomenal, in how well it handles comedy, dark comedy and outright drama, jumping from one to the other seamlessly, without ever feeling cheap or unearned.
Especially the heartfelt, dramatic parts, never feel too melodramatic or like they're talking down to you, and when it feels like they are crossing that line, they usually bring it back with a (gentle) comedic spin.

Yep. I'd like to watch the original British series one day just to see how much this series owes to it and how much of it can be credited to Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Am I Still Me?

DiDi's in a tough spot between work and her family. Meanwhile, Dr. James faces unexpected obstacles on the day of her "Sympoosium"; and Dawn and Dr. James share some surprising personality traits with two British visitors, Sister Den Flixter and Dr. Pippa Moore.

UrbanRats

I'll say this is a show better suited for a binge watching.
Watching week to week, i sometimes forget some ties into older episodes, since the line through isn't as prevalent as other shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Please Partake of a Memorial Orange

The ward's fate is in doubt, so DiDi tries to think of a way to save it, but is distracted by pressure from Dawn to be her health advocate. Meanwhile, the obstreperous Varla returns and clashes with her estranged daughter; Dr. James confesses her sins to her husband; and a memorial service has no shortage of drama.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The series finale is tonight!

Reduced to Eating Boiled Magazines and Book Paste

In the series finale, DiDi walks a picket line in a last-ditch effort to save the Billy Barnes from closing. Meanwhile, Dr. James regrets an offer made in haste; and a student nurse makes a revelation in a secret-sharing session that gets Patsy's attention.

ldT4qph.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom