• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - S6 |OT| - Making History. Whether You Like It Or Not. - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yeah, I didn't care for this episode. Plus in terms of establishing a greater narrative, it's treading water. Almost as if the show has told all the stories and jokes it has to tell.

Kind of like Saved By The Bell: The College Years. Just let it die already.

pretty apt. I mean we've seen her in the VP role, on the campaign trail, and eventually as sitting POTUS. All that really was left is civilian life or rather role-reversal hijinks, which loses much of the heart of the show.

Putting her back in the VP role would have been a more fitting end to S5 and the show, but you couldn't really go on after that. Hence we are left with this. Not a fan of this season myself sadly.

diaspora

pretty apt. I mean we've seen her in the VP role, on the campaign trail, and eventually as sitting POTUS. All that really was left is civilian life or rather role-reversal hijinks, which loses much of the heart of the show.

Putting her back in the VP role would have been a more fitting end to S5 and the show, but you couldn't really go on after that. Hence we are left with this. Not a fan of this season myself sadly.

That or sending her back to the senate somehow.

Ok I re-watched the end of the episode a couple times but I can't tell what happened - how did that 3rd guy end up winning? Because he was listening to Selina and Minna the whole time and was thus able to take down both of the other candidates?

That was a bit weird and I think unexplained, I guess he was a candidate the entire time and for some bizarre reason he got enough votes, once you threw out the votes for the sitting "president" who got arrested for reasons that aren't clear either (in general, dictators don't let themselves get arrested while still in power...)

I agree with the points saying why this season is a bit weak and isn't really going anywhere but damn the constant rapid fire one liners are still hilarious to watch and I'm down for another season of watching facial expressions, Jonah getting shit on by everyone, Amy regretting every choice she ever makes, and Furlong's constant nerd references. Yeah, the characters are all one dimensional but honestly they sorta were from episode 1.

It really should probably end this season though, all the characters are starting to get a bit pathetic and I don't want to feel TOO sad for Selina :(

- Rolling Stone interview: Julia Louis-Dreyfus on Post-Election 'Veep' and Why We Still Love Elaine Benes
You don't have any innocent bystanders on Veep – it's a whole show full of horrible people.

With the possible exception of [campaign aide] Richard. He is an earnest and dear soul, and somewhat oblivious to the nastiness of those around him. And he doesn't really swear.

What's the most loathsome aspect of Selina Meyer?

Her inability to see beyond her own ego and narcissism. I think it's safe to say that she is a pathological narcissist, which can be problematic for a mother, a wife and a friend, but might really work well for a politician.

What have you heard from D.C. insiders about Veep?

I hear from both sides of the aisle, and each side thinks we're making fun of the other side. Very frequently, I am told that we've captured what it's really like, which I am hoping isn't exactly the case. People often come up to me and say, "I'm Dan!" "I'm Jonah!" or "I'm Amy!" which does kind of make me wonder about their self-esteem.

Sunster

i was nervous about this season because she's not in office at the moment but honestly it's probably my #2 season so far.

Socreges

Banned
I thought Minna always held some contempt for Selina? Thus the gentle mocking. Yet all of a sudden she's desperate to be friends with her

Still a great character

I thought Minna always held some contempt for Selina? Thus the gentle mocking. Yet all of a sudden she's desperate to be friends with her

Still a great character

That's what I always thought too. Now' I'll go back to watch her episodes to see if there's another way to read her performance.

New episode tonight:
Justice

Selina (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and her team attend the funeral of a Supreme Court justice. Amy (Anna Chlumsky) works on securing a location for Selina's library. Dan (Reid Scott) tries to maintain his upswing with Jane (Margaret Colin), his co-host. Jonah (Timothy Simons) finds an issue.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Just binged this over the last two weeks. The first season was so mediocre, but man did it improve after that. JLD is incredible.

Chase17

Great episode. Catherine's reaction to Selina's heart attack got me good.

Also love the rise of Jonah through daylight saving time.

"This bill will be a call for less government from our clocks to our privately built for-profit prisons to the very watches on our wrists."

Holy shit that was amazing, Jonah is gonna be the new president by the end of this season isn't he

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Good episode. Selina chopping up a rancid chicken sandwich and tossing it (bun and all) in with some plain spaghetti got me. Also, the scene where they woke up in bed together was great.

KiN0

This episode was a big step up from last week's. Jokes were on point, and the cartooniness was noticeably turned down. I was disappointed that the SC nomination didn't amount to anything.

Hazmat

This was much better than last week's. Jonah continues to be excellent this season. I wonder if the actor has an unfortunate widow's peak that's only noticeable when it's shaved down or if the asymmetry comes from makeup.

I really hate how the Americans say "twat". Sounds terrible. And it seems like they're trying to make Selina say it in every episode this series.

Good to see Amy back with the team. Ken and Ben next please.

New episode tonight:
Chicklet

Selina (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) settles on a location for her presidential library. Dan (Reid Scott) lands in a gossip column. Mike (Matt Walsh) and Selina work on her book. Jonah (Timothy Simons) tries to cement a big donation. Gary (Tony Hale) manages a mini-crisis at Madame Tussauds.

Santiako

Chicklet? You're the chicklet!

TTai83M.gif

The meltdown rant about having her wax figure placed next to Ford was amazing. Furious Julia Louis-Dreyfus screaming sexual obscenities is my spirit animal.

New episode tonight:
Qatar

Selina (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) visits Qatar. In D.C., Jonah (Timothy Simons) gets a dinner invite. Dan (Reid Scott) receives an unexpected visit from an HR rep. Catherine (Sarah Sutherland) and Marjorie (Clea DuVall) have big news.

Not surprising given the dip in quality, but I noticed this is only pulling about 500-600 thousand viewers an episode as opposed to around a million last year. Wonder if this is the last season.
A large part of that is likely due to the fact that it's coming on after The Leftovers and Silicon Valley instead of on a Game of Thrones night. Because Veep regularly earns hardware for HBO, they'll probably stick with it a bit longer if JLD & Co are up for it.

valeo

Not surprising given the dip in quality, but I noticed this is only pulling about 500-600 thousand viewers an episode as opposed to around a million last year. Wonder if this is the last season.

I really don't think the quality dip has been that noticeable? Still one of the funniest shows on TV for me, especially in the current climate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god that speech
I feel like they've done that joke before, where she has to make up a speech based on some last minute curveball.

I really don't think the quality dip has been that noticeable? Still one of the funniest shows on TV for me, especially in the current climate.
It's fine, I guess. It just feels like later-day Simpsons, where Homer is stupid because that's all he can be now.

Vyer

There hasn't been much of a dip at all, but I think the move away from the White House is putting people off. Not too mention the timing is unfortunate, all things considered.

It'll come back together when Jonah gets there. :p

Oh man that was so good. When Jonah couldn't follow his fiancé's negotiation tactics.. Wanting Rihanna to put a gun to my head while I eat her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom