• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insecure - The Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The half-hour comedy series 'Insecure' looks at the friendship, experiences and tribulations of two black women. Created and executive produced by Issa Rae, this eight-episode series premieres on Sunday, October 9th at 10:30/9:30c.

HBO has released the pilot, 'Insecure as Fuck', two weeks early. It can now be streamed on HBO Now, HBO Go, and HBO On Demand.

Cast

Videos

Insecure Official Trailer
Stay Ready Teaser
Happy AF Teaser

Inside Issa Rae Productions

A Special Message From Insecure’s Issa Rae

Ratings

Episode 1: 371K
Episode 2: 458K
Episode 3: 469K
Episode 4: 348K
Episode 5: 329K
Episode 6: 388K
Episode 7: 382K
Episode 8: 565K

gBPui7X.jpg

Nabs

The Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl was so good, so I have high hopes for this. I saw her rapping in the trailer, so that's a good sign.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple of early reviews:

Variety said:
A show that cannot help but carry with it the burden of being a standard-bearer for diverse voices on television, even as it attempts to be, you know, funny. Insecure proves to be ably up to the challenge. The show marries specific issues with universal questions to create situations that are both precise and affecting. ... Issa herself is a profane, brilliant lead character.

TV Guide said:
Insecure is brazenly confident in its comic, profane authenticity

Washington Post said:
Insecure is simple, funny and authentic.

Pilot was good! The lead is charismatic and funny, plus her relationship with her best friend is entertaining. Not going to be appointment television for me, but I'll check it out each week.

A few more reviews:
- Salon: Issa Rae’s sublime “Insecure”: HBO’s new witty, ironic portrayal of young single professionals hits fresh and familiar notes
The world of “Insecure” invites all comers without losing connection to this take on the black experience, a balancing act all top comedies can pull off but with the bonus of genuine cultural candor.
- Sepinwall: Review: In Promising New HBO Comedy 'Insecure,' Issa Rae Finds Her Voice
Insecure is less inherently dramatic than some of the other Comedies In Theory, which makes the infrequency of laugh-out-loud moments a bigger issue than on, say, Casual, but Rae is a really engaging writer and performer, and the series is charming and compulsively watchable. Grade: B+
First time I've seen Sepinwall put a letter grade on a review. Must be a new HitFix thing.

- Onion A|V Club review
Insecure is profound, but mostly for its simplicity. The show follows Rae’s alter ego Issa, who lives and works in Los Angeles. That’s pretty much it. Well, that, and it’s incisive, poignant, and hilarious, which is an all-too-rare combination. Insecure isn’t a show about nothing, but it’s also not trying to be about something. Grade: A-

- THR review
Taken in the totality of the TV landscape, Rae's voice is one that wasn't being heard and that voice is what makes Insecure stand out, not necessarily as better than the Emmy winners or critical favorites in the field, but as gratifyingly distinguishable.

- IndieWire Podcast: ‘Insecure’ Showrunner Prentice Penny on Issa Rae’s Brutally Honest Comedy
Prentice Penny helped adapt and shape the show for television, and built a writers room that reflected the show’s honest and real make up. Penny’s credits include “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Happy Endings” and “Girlfriends.” But this is his first time actually leading a TV series as showrunner. We sat down with Prentice to hear how it’s going – and how “Insecure” depicts code-switching, dating, South Los Angeles, and so much more.

Penny discusses some of the unique choices that the show made, some of which shouldn’t be considered revolutionary but are. He also shares his experiences growing up in both predominantly African-American and predominantly white environments, and navigating the world of predominantly white writers’ rooms. “It can be difficult, it can be uncomfortable at times,” Penny said. “Do you make a stand on this thing, and if you do, are you going to be considered ‘The black guy who’s doing this’? But you don’t want to let it slide… it’s like chess. And you’re trying to be a good writer in the room. There’s all these levels of not just the work, but the perception of how you’re perceived in the work. To navigate that can be tricky.”

Bladenic

Watched the pilot. Holy shit, one of the best pilots ever?? So good. And I had no idea Solange was a music consultant till the credits, the music was amazing.

Issa Rae is a delight.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight!

Insecure as F**k

Two black women who are best friends navigate the pitfalls of their personal and professional lives in south Los Angeles in this comedy, which begins with Issa wondering if her relationship with her boyfriend is still worth the effort, while Molly's success as an attorney barely masks her dissatisfaction with her romantic prospects.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked the first episode. It was funny, fresh, and the two leads gave winning performances. Can't wait to see more.

Sanjuro

good ep. Ill stick with it unlke Divorce.

Those are my thoughts, but I'll probably give Divorce a few more episodes. This felt like a variant of Girls, but all of the characters are not unrealistic psychopaths.

Biggest criticism is the Cheetos and ranch though. What the fuck?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"Every Black girl that went to college likes Drake."

"He just really gets us."

Hahaha 😂😂😂

The "It's not under your big ass wrap?" got me too.

Good pilot episode. I'm usually not a huge fan of HBO's comedy offerings, outside of Veep, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Scribble

It's OK. I'm watching it out of obligation. Obligation because I'm a POC who understands how multifaceted we can be(!), and obligation because I want to support fiction created by people from very different backgrounds and I understand how good it is for 'art'. I kind of wonder if guilty critics will be bending over backwards to praise it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Messy as F**k

Molly lines up a date with a promising prospect after treating herself to a day at the salon. Meanwhile, Issa isn't sure how she feels about Lawrence, who tries to make amends for forgetting her birthday.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the second episode played like a weak episode of Girls. It wasn't terrible, but Divorce definitely had a stronger week 2 (after Insecure came out ahead last week).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Racist as F**k

Jared meets Molly's friends; Issa confronts her coworkers' lack of confidence in her; Lawrence is taken aback by a headhunter's remarks; Molly's pep talk to a new summer associate at work fails to connect.

So I just watched all 3 episodes available now. Amazing show. Probably one of the most authentic depictions of middle class Black life through the lens of unmarried late 20/early 30 college educated career Black women. So much shit was so on point, I felt like I was watching parts of my life unfold on screen. Can't recommend it enough. Plus it's legit funny.

royalan

This is my new favorite show.

THIS fool at the end straight up said, "Ayo, whatchu gon do with that bouch???"

This is too black for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"slap boxing with seals"

lol

Girl Molly better not ditch that hot AF Jarred guy just because he didn't go to college.

That's her thing - always on the lookout for someone better. The dude that she dumped Jarred for at the end will just get dumped the minute she finds out he's not literally perfect, so she'll move onto next dude, repeat, etc.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm still on Episode 2. The guy on the date being all chill and charming, then immediately whispering "You trying to fuck though" made me lose it.

Grizzlyjin

Molly ditching Jarrod just cause she got into that new dating app is fucked up. I'd get it if things weren't going well, but trading up on a good dude...tsk tsk.

ZeroFate

Not to mention Molly getting dressed down by the new co-worker. Whew.

I thought I would get tired of the rap quick cuts, but so far they have been perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom