• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell Arise announced - Details updated in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Yeah, there's the somewhat cheaper non-boxed version too :

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Animation_000000000013179/item_GHOST-IN-THE-SHELL_3967762

nvm, in that link it is only barely cheaper than the boxed version from Amazon, and then only if you buy something else with it. I'm not sure what comparative shipping rates to Euroland would be, either, and that always complicates prices.
It still might be cheaper to buy from hmv.co.jp instead of amazon.co.jp as there's no guarantee any of those merchants on amazon.co.jp will ship internationally. Maybe cdjapan or even play-asia.com could be other (cheaper) alternatives as amazon.co.jp s&h is like 2000 yen.

Forkball

Most clothes I've ever seen on Motoko ever.

I disliked the original movie at first, but grew to understand and enjoy it later on. I really enjoyed both SAC series, despite their denseness. I'm always up for more.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
omg!

126331_o.gif

Trying to get hold of the original in blu ray (not the retouched version) is giving me several headaches and it's not the first time i try to make sense of all the versions, either.
Otherwise i'm stuck with my old VHS.

GitS 2.0 does in fact have the original, untouched version in it's extras section. The transfer is poor though and yeah, I'm also one of those who didn't care for the whole 2.0 bullshit. Especially disliked what they did to some of the audio.

51DQNX1ASXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Honestly you're not going to gain much from picking it up on Bluray IE: it ain't gonna look really that better, so just bite the bullet and buy the silver case Special Edition on DVD (it's $10 on Amazon right now). It's still in print, it's the one I have and I'm totally fine seeing as my SAC and 2nd GiG are DVD also.
Now if only Innocence didn't go out of print...

UrbanRats

Yeah that works.

Don't throw away the wrapping -- it's resealable!

Yeah, there's the somewhat cheaper non-boxed version too :

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Animation_000000000013179/item_GHOST-IN-THE-SHELL_3967762

nvm, in that link it is only barely cheaper than the boxed version from Amazon, and then only if you buy something else with it. I'm not sure what comparative shipping rates to Euroland would be, either, and that always complicates prices.
Thanks guys.
I'll probably get it from Amazon as it's one of the few that doesn't constantly lost my packages, entering Spaghetti-land.
Unfortunately that's fairly common otherwise (reason why a lot of people on ebay didn't ship specifically in Italy and few other countries)
GitS 2.0 does in fact have the original, untouched version in it's extras section. The transfer is poor though and yeah, I'm also one of those who didn't care for the whole 2.0 bullshit. Especially disliked what they did to some of the audio.

51DQNX1ASXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Honestly you're not going to gain much from picking it up on Bluray IE: it ain't gonna look really that better, so just bite the bullet and buy the silver case Special Edition on DVD (it's $10 on Amazon right now). It's still in print, it's the one I have and I'm totally fine seeing as my SAC and 2nd GiG are DVD also.

I might be mistaken, but i think the Japanese also have a properly restored BluRay version of the original GitS, other than the upscaled one in the GitS2.0 extras.
And i'm assuming that's what i'm getting from the above Amazon link.

Salaadin

These are exactly what I own and I couldnt be happier with them.
I almost want SAC on Blu Ray but its WAY too expensive so Ill just hang onto my DVD LEs.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yes! I was so happy when I woke up and read this. Huge fan of the film and shows. Still need to get through Psycho-Pass first.

A suggestion for those wanting to watch GitS for the first time: Manga.com (also a channel on Roku boxes) has all of it available for streaming: the movies, both SAC seasons and Stand Alone Society.

Hulu also has GitS stuff, but I found the site to be a pain in the ass to watch them there.

Warning: there will be ads (defnitely on Roku), unless you have ways of blocking them

A suggestion for those wanting to watch GitS for the first time: Manga.com (also a channel on Roku boxes) has all of it available for streaming: the movies, both SAC seasons and Stand Alone Society.

Hulu also has GitS stuff, but I found the site to be a pain in the ass to watch them there.

Warning: there will be ads (defnitely on Roku), unless you have ways of blocking them

I haven't watched Stand Alone Society. Was waiting to find it cheap.

Thanks!

Edit: Someone hire 4 Chan!

Salaadin

They should have taken the jacket off, made the shirt low cut, and removed the pants entirely. Then I might like it.

But seriously, its the face I have the most issues with. She just doesnt look good to me. The clothing is fine.

I have serious issues with Motoko's character design. It seems like they were using Rooney Mara from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as a reference or something. Very waif-like and borderline adolescent because she has no hips or no feminine features at all, really. The 4chan edit is actually pretty decent and falls in line with how I envision the character.

duckroll

I have serious issues with Motoko's character design. It seems like they were using Rooney Mara from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as a reference or something. Very waif-like and borderline adolescent because she has no hips or no feminine features at all, really. The 4chan edit is actually pretty decent and falls in line with how I envision the character.

If this is an origin story take on GitS, then wouldn't the design fall perfectly in line with what they might be doing storywise?

Reminds me of those terrible Mirror's Edge character design 'improvements'.

In this case it was an improvement. I don't care if she's a cyborg because she looks like an 8th grader that listens to The Cure.

I hope to god they're not doing an origins story. That would be the least possible thing I could drum up support for and I'm a huge fan of GitS. Look at the recent Lupin series as reference to see how horribly that could go wrong.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If this is an origin story take on GitS, then wouldn't the design fall perfectly in line with what they might be doing storywise?

Part of me thinks that's why its such a radical re-design and yeah it definitely feels like the design was "inspired" by GWTDT's main character.

:lol at that 4chan "fix." They increased her bust size but didn't make anything else on her thicker to even out the proportions. Oh-kay. Reminds me of those stupid Mirror's Edge images.

If they are drawing inspiration from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, this could turn out really bad. :\

Edit: Shit, that would totally explain the writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom