• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell Arise announced - Details updated in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Not a great trailer but some interesting animation in the last part. But yeah, it doesn't look fantastic for the moment. I'm still waiting for more (& in better quality) videos.

Forkball

Yoko Kanno needs to come back.

It doesn't look so bad to me. I mean she's a cyborg, she beats up people, and reflects internally at times. All those things were in the trailer! Though Motoko's character has been pretty different in every GitS adaptation so it's hard to say which one is the best or more accurate version.

I do think it's funny that outside Motoko, Batou, and Arakawa no one else looks younger.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Yoko Kanno needs to come back.

It doesn't look so bad to me. I mean she's a cyborg, she beats up people, and reflects internally at times. All those things were in the trailer! Though Motoko's character has been pretty different in every GitS adaptation so it's hard to say which one is the best or more accurate version.

I do think it's funny that outside Motoko, Batou, and Arakawa no one else looks younger.

No gray hair/No hair = Younger (?)

They don't look so much younger apart from Motoko and the Chief :p

I didn't think the whole team would be in this, now it looks more like the beginning of Section 9 and not early Motoko... (hasn't she done a lot of stuff by then already? I remember the Saito backstory in which she fought against him in WWIV or whatever. Using an older looking cyborg body ;) ).

I think I would have preferred a full season but I don't think this OVA looks bad. Actually looks very much like SAC to me, style-wise.

ZoddGutts

Westerners overrate shitty japanese anime; Japanese overrate shitty American prime time tv. The cycle continues.

To be fair, Japanese drama is mostly pretty shit with bad acting and writing. All of the serious crime/drama that have tried to emulate CSI is dreadful. So in a way their right, CSI is better quality than what Japan tends to make. Sad really.

BadWolf

Looks pretty good I think.

Don't have anything against the new design itself but can't say I like how much she looks like a female Kaneda, complete with that bike.

flawfuls

Any potential this might be the prelude to a series?

I doubt it. The multiple short movies thing has been sort of a trend with bigger anime projects recently and it seems to be more profitable than regular TV series. If this does well I imagine it would just lead to another series of movies or something.

duckroll

Hmmm:

i1HH2sw9Nwpua.png

Shirokun

A lot of cynicism around here. It looks pretty good to me. It looks like there's a deeper focus on Motoko as a character here, so I'm eager to see what they can do.

hteng

Banned
hahahahaha saito.. oh man, oh did he got fat and that fucking mohawk, oh man.

judging from the trailer alone it seems like this is a origin sort of story, the major seems pretty young and is just starting to develop her skills.

BadWolf

hahahahaha saito.. oh man, oh did he got fat and that fucking mohawk, oh man.

judging from the trailer alone it seems like this is a origin sort of story, the major seems pretty young and is just starting to develop her skills.

I'd be cool with that.

genjiZERO

So are they going to throw away the few bits of backstory SAC gave the characters?

Likely it's a different universe.

That being said it sorta doesn't make any sense. For one I thought Togusa was supposed to be the "younger guy". He looks older than the Major in this. Also, it's weird that Aramaki looks exactly the same except he has darker hair (although wasn't his hair colored in the manga?). Anyway, the only one who actually looks young is the Major.

So I dunno....... I think I'm officially in the sceptical camp until this actually comes out....

Likely it's a different universe.

That being said it sorta doesn't make any sense. For one I thought Togusa was supposed to be the "younger guy". He looks older than the Major in this. Also, it's weird that Aramaki looks exactly the same except he has darker hair (although wasn't his hair colored in the manga?). Anyway, the only one who actually looks young is the Major.

So I dunno....... I think I'm officially in the sceptical camp until this actually comes out....

they played up the rookie aspect of Togusa's character more in the first movie than the TV show. In the show he was a mostly human family man who has great detective skills and is occasionally the victim for the episode. And of course the Mateba.

they played up the rookie aspect of Togusa's character more in the first movie than the TV show. In the show he was a mostly human family man who has great detective skills and is occasionally the victim for the episode. And of course the Mateba.

Maybe Togusa is still a detective in this and crosses paths with section 9 on multiple ocassions

The major doesn't exactly age anyway, so can't really make judgement calls vs. Togusa on that front.

Count me as needlessly excited!

duckroll

Maybe Togusa is still a detective in this and crosses paths with section 9 on multiple ocassions

There is no Section 9 in Arise. This is 2 years before Section 9 is even formed. There are details in the character profiles on the official site which indicate what some of the characters are doing though.

Motoko is a major in the 501st Division in the army, some sort of special forces unit. She runs into Aramaki when he consults her on a certain case. It's not clear where he's working, but probably at public safety (since he later starts Section 9 there). Togusa is indeed a detective in the special investigations department in the Niihama Police Station. Paz is an undercover cop working for the military police, and he runs into Motoko during a deep cover operation. Batou is apparently investigating the murder of a coworker of his, and suspects Motoko is involved. The other characters don't really have any details other than their general description.

Salaadin

I guess the Tachikoma as we know them wont be there :(

Any info on a subtitled release for us English speaking people? Or are we going to have to wait a long time for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom