• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell bombs at the box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not suprising since the source material was pure garbage to begin with.
HpBMkyi.png

anime was a mistake it's nothing but trash

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Not that surprising to me. My mates and I saw the second to last showing and the theater was only 25% full which is unheard of on a Saturday night.

That episode of Master of None wasn't condemning Indian actors who choose stereotypical roles either. His friend in that episode played a cliche comedic customer service call center guy in Transformers. Aziz understands that roles outside the stereotypes that don't rely on accents is important, but also recognizes that those roles are rare and virtually non-existant. The problem is, if you don't take roles that actually rely on your race, what are you left with?

The Major doesn't rely on race, but she's white.
The Ancient One is an Asian stereotype in the comic, and she's still white.

didn't that episode also point out how a brown man was practically blackfaced and played by a white man in short circuit?

also, even if the ancient one is am asian stereotype in the comics, that doesn't mean it harms the character in general - it's worse to put a white person in the middle of a bunch of asians as the best.

as an Asian man (technically), that's what I would've preferred.

Yeah, I think in this day and age if you want a movie based on an IP that isn't well-known to mainstream audiences to do well you need to get a lot of positive buzz from people who *do* know/like the source material, and pretty much nothing about this movie that we saw before release gave anyone any faith in the movie, from the casting of the main character to the "big twist" to the shitty remix of the original's theme put on social media to the simple fact that Hollywood doesn't really do adaptations of stuff like GitS very well. They had an uphill climb to get anyone to want to see this movie and they chose to roll down said hill, going out of their way to hit every rock they possibly could on the way down.

This encapsulates my feelings as well. I have little hope Hollywood will learn from this mistake but anything to improve Asian American representation is good even if it costs the live action version if GITS.

Oh and that God awful ending puts a nail in its coffin. Terrible terrible way if handling things.

Tbh,imho, not a huge loss since we'll always have the anime anyway.

I'm very skeptical of this improving Asian American representation. If anything the lesson learned will be to avoid the controversy altogether by shying away from such material or drastically lowering the budgets when adapting them.

Also sad that we basically only trust Hollywood to maybe, just maybe, not fuck up anime adaptations where the main characters are white.

To be perfectly honest I really don't unless the creative team has a lot of Asian representation. I do have some faith in Death Note though mostly because of the director.

They're gonna fuck it up. Don't have any expectations.

I didn't for GitS and I was still dissapointed.
I mean, I generally have low expectations when it comes to this stuff. That said, the impossible can happen. Speed Racer is one of my favorite movies of all time after all.

didn't that episode also point out how a brown man was practically blackfaced and played by a white man in short circuit?

also, even if the ancient one is am asian stereotype in the comics, that doesn't mean it harms the character in general - it's worse to put a white person in the middle of a bunch of asians as the best.

as an Asian man (technically), that's what I would've preferred.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.

When roles actually do rely on race like the Ancient One, those roles still go to white people and the act is seen as progressive because "oh it subverts stereotypes." There is a way to make the Ancient One Asian without slapping a fumanchu on them.
"Oh it'd be racist to cast an Asian so we won't cast Asian. Oh race doesn't matter, so we won't cast Asian."

Its not, like i said the source wasnt even good or popular to begin with.

People have a warped idea on here that gits is a banker name.

Plus the movie in itself looked boring as hell.

movie that influenced literally every sci-fi movie after it came out.

trash

kek.

Z..

Even critics who didn't like the movie talk about the beautiful visuals.

From RT:

the praise for the visuals is the one constant across all reviews this movie has gotten.

If you honestly don't think this movie looks good, then I don't know what else I can say to you, we obviously have a completely different view on what good visuals mean.

Oh, they're definitely good. But you really need to read some of the reviews and re-evaluate your assessment of jaw droppingly gorgeous. Good is about as apt as it gets. Appropriate for a cash grab such as this.

TheMan

I reallly don't think whitewashing had anything to do with this. After all, racism helped trump win the Whitehouse. The movie bombed because it's based on anime. plus, scar jo is hot but can she really carry movies on her name? I think it just looked too dorky for mainstream America.

I like the original but even so I'm having a hard time convincing myself to see the adaptation... the idea of the anime is not unique and original anymore in 2017 and the concept has been put to film several times in various ways. The only reason to watch this is Scarjo in a skintight suit and as much as I like to look at her... prices are steep and the movie seems to be average at best.

Trokil

Banned
Actual numbers are starting to come in, 40 plus millions outside the US, 3 millions in South Korea alone (million more than XXX or 2,5 more than John Wick 2).

So better wait before declaring a bomb, else crows could become an endangered species. China and Japan are getting the movie end of this week.

On the subject of whitewashing in Western Entertainment, this specific debate in relation to Ghost In The Shell and the context that surrounds the project has proved to be something of a particularly tender subject with me.

Sorry about the essay, or if I'm literally just repeating the same points everyone else has made in this discussion in the most ineloquent manner imaginable. Please forgive me.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.
Yes it's very important to have these discussions. I think it's harmful to simply just say "movies need to make money" and throw our hands in the air as if there's no other choice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I think in this day and age if you want a movie based on an IP that isn't well-known to mainstream audiences to do well you need to get a lot of positive buzz from people who *do* know/like the source material, and pretty much nothing about this movie that we saw before release gave anyone any faith in the movie, from the casting of the main character to the "big twist" to the shitty remix of the original's theme put on social media to the simple fact that Hollywood doesn't really do adaptations of stuff like GitS very well.
This is an interesting point. When it comes to adapting niche properties it helps a lot to get those diehard fans on your side from the outset to generate positive buzz from those who are "in the know". But most GITS fans weren't whelmed by anything that came out of the pre-production and add the controversy on top of that...

It pays to have people vouch for you, especially if those people really like seeing their favorite things get more exposure.
Actual numbers are starting to come in, 40 plus millions outside the US, 3 millions in South Korea alone (million more than XXX or 2,5 more than John Wick 2).

So better wait before declaring a bomb, else crows could become an endangered species. China and Japan are getting the movie end of this week.

If it bombs overseas as well I look forward to you moving the goalposts to home release. Let this stay on the record for posterity.

Kthulhu

I reallly don't think whitewashing had anything to do with this. After all, racism helped trump win the Whitehouse. The movie bombed because it's based on anime. plus, scar jo is hot but she really carry movies on her name? I think it just looked too dorky for mainstream America.

There have been plenty of movies based on Japanese source material that failed. Reviews + an angry fanbase were probably the biggest bane to this film.

To be perfectly honest I really don't unless the creative team has a lot of Asian representation. I do have some faith in Death Note though mostly because of the director.

I mean, I generally have low expectations when it comes to this stuff. That said, the impossible can happen. Speed Racer is one of my favorite movies of all time after all.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.

When roles actually do rely on race like the Ancient One, those roles still go to white people and the act is seen as progressive because "oh it subverts stereotypes." There is a way to make the Ancient One Asian without slapping a fumanchu on them.
"Oh it'd be racist to cast an Asian so we won't cast Asian. Oh race doesn't matter, so we won't cast Asian."

I thought you were just arguing with me then. So I guess we agree on this discussion?

Epcott

I love GITS so I was hoping this would succeed, but if it helps spread the message of resentment towards whitewashing, so be it (but I doubt the studio will see it that way).

This would have worked better as an 8 episode procedural on Amazon or Netflix... moreso Netflix since they have Altered Carbon coming up.

Meier

I noticed in the opening credits that two Chinese production companies were involved so I'm sure the actual outlay was pretty diverse. It'll probably be profitable in the long term. I think that budget is actually surprisingly low given how expensive the movie looked.

Gravidee

Man, what a shitshow this has become, though it wasn't entirely unexpected. The road to a good anime/manga Hollywood adaptation goes on...

Kthulhu

I mean... fuck

They made a good movie out of Deadpool

Surely a bit of effort would have made a good movie here.

Deadpool was made by people who fought tooth and nail to get it made. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been decent after all their efforts.

Many people don't know that movie wasn't supposed to even exist thanks to Fox.

The issue in my experience is very simply anything related to the word "anime". When people asked what the movie was after seeing a TV ad I didn't want to explain it or its origin, lest that five-letter word create frowns all around.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
The name of the movie hints at a horror / thriller, poster looked like sci fi cyber action. They had fans who should be spreading good words, but they were complaining of whitewashing.

I don't buy into the whitewashing here, but as a personal preference I would have preferred a Japanese actress. I'm interested how it would have performed with one.

Perhaps next time.

I thought you were just arguing with me then. So I guess we agree on this discussion?

Yeah. My initial response was because I read an interview about that episode of Master of None. The guy who plays his friend initially refused to be in that episode because he though Aziz was criticizing Indian actors who put on accents and play stereotypes. Because roles are so starved for them already, he needed to take what he could get for steady work.

I think "bomb" will end up being a stretch. Ultimately I don't see them losing money on this. It will probably make its money back WW and through home release. It just won't make the profit they were hoping for.

It will probably hurt their pride to think that everything would have gone well for them by having ScarJo though, but they gambled and lost. Doubt they will learn the lessons they need to from it though.

If one of the reasons you want to adapt a property is because of its existing fanbase, then you need to do a better job of delivering a product that matches their expectations. You can't just expect to leverage fans into bringing money and good word of mouth by trading off the name alone — don't be surprised that the won't flock to it if they think you haven't done justice to whatever it is they are fans of.

Trokil

Banned
What Hollywood should learn
-Diversity is good for films.
-Not all films need large budgets,
-Focus on making a good film first with a strong script.

Power Rangers had a diverse cast, looks worse than Ghost in the Shell at the moment. Ghostbusters had an all female cast, huge loss at the box office. Life, diverse cast, low budget made in 2 weeks less money than Ghost in the Shell over the weekend.

Metalmarc

The days of the Matrix style movies are done.

Erm the Matrix Movie that is on it's way?

Either this is another Cyberpunk misstep and the Audiences don't care (Tron Legacy, Dredd, Almost Human and now GITS) Or Cyberpunk as a genre will become big within the next 2-5 yrs.

Cyberpunk 2077 - if that game becomes a big hit, every man and his dog will claim they were Cyberpunk fans from the beginning, and the the interest for movies will be there suddenly, you watch how many people start seeking this sub-genre out, hell it could even get made into a movie within 10yrs of it's release, if it's a hit.

Just a sample Cyberpunk/Dystopian stuff Coming soon

Ready Player One - Live Action Movie (Speilberg)
Altered Carbon (Netflix Series)
Alita - Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez/James Cameron)
Bladerunner 2048
The Matrix (Unititled Morpheus Prequel, I would expect this to do well like the game Cyberpunk 2077, if they both come out the same Year and knock it out of the park, oh boy)
Blame! (Netflix Anime Series)
Tron Reboot (Rumoured)
Ruiner (PS 4)
Akira Live Action (if they dont cancel it like i suggested in my previous post)
Cyberpunk 2077 (the game is coming... In the near future?)

Yeah. My initial response was because I read an interview about that episode of Master of None. The guy who plays his friend initially refused to be in that episode because he though Aziz was criticizing Indian actors who put on accents and play stereotypes. Because roles are so starved for them already, he needed to take what he could get for steady work.

we're talking about the actor acting in that episode of master of none right? not the synopsis of the episode where he plays a stereotypical taxi cab driver?

can you post the URL of that interview

Kthulhu

Power Rangers had a diverse cast, looks worse than Ghost in the Shell at the moment. Ghostbusters had an all female cast, huge loss at the box office. Life, diverse cast, low budget made in 2 weeks less money than Ghost in the Shell over the weekend.

Power Rangers has better overall reviews than GitS does.

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the whitewashing and general reviews kept me from seeing it. It doesn't sound like it's worth going to see in the theater. (Honestly, even if you took out the whitewashing aspect and left the reviews, I wouldn't have gone to see it.) I don't feel bad about this movie bombing to be frank.

I do however worry that because it bombed, we'll be getting less anime adaptations. That is a shame.

petran79

Banned
Not suprising since the source material was pure garbage to begin with.

I consider Appleseed manga superior to GITS in every way, it is just that the TV adaptations sucked. Too difficult to be thoroughly adapted.

If it werent for Oshi's movies and the TV adaptations of GITS, I'd have forgotten about the manga quickly.

1995 movie was R rated, compared to the pg13 rating btw.

border

Cyberpunk 2077 - if that game becomes a big hit, every man and his dog will claim they were Cyberpunk fans from the beginning, and the the interest for movies will be there suddenly, you watch how many people start seeking this sub-genre out, hell it could even get made into a movie within 10yrs of it's release, if it's a hit.

That seems highly unlikely. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a hit and it didn't start a cinematic movement. It didn't even have enough momentum/goodwill to keep its sequel from flopping.

What Hollywood should learn
-Diversity is good for films.
-Not all films need large budgets,
-Focus on making a good film first with a strong script.

What Hollywood will learn
-Female leads are bad
-Stop adapting from Anime source material.
-Double down on known properties

Which Asian actress has same pull as Scarlet for mainstream movie watcher ?

It would be grossing in single digit without her most likely.

Main problem is that they made it unattractive for audience aware of original existence and most other would probably be scared by anime roots.

I should be main target but I only plan to go watch it for lols to check how crappy it turned out.

Kthulhu

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the whitewashing and general reviews kept me from seeing it. It doesn't sound like it's worth going to see in the theater. (Honestly, even if you took out the whitewashing aspect and left the reviews, I wouldn't have gone to see it.) I don't feel bad about this movie bombing to be frank.

I do however worry that because it bombed, we'll be getting less anime adaptations. That is a shame.

Rent it.

Trokil

Banned
Power Rangers has better overall reviews than GitS does.

Has made less money international in 2 weeks than Ghost in the Shell in one weekend, it will pass it by the end of the week and it only cost 10 millions more. So why should Hollywood care about the review scores?

dhonk

The movie was pretty much destined to bomb. The fact the movie's script isn't interesting and the directing fails to capture the attention of the audience despite the great visuals is really the key problem. They even had a plot that could was coherent despite pulling from all of GITS but it doesn't matter if it isn't engaging.

Everything else was just tossing gasoline on the fire, lol.

It seems all they wanted to do was steal the influential visuals of the animated film.

They should have pulled out of this project after realizing someone already did that.

JaXhIyO.png

Kthulhu

Has made less money international in 2 weeks than Ghost in the Shell in one weekend, it will pass it by the end of the week and it only cost 10 millions more. So why should Hollywood care about the review scores?

Why should Hollywood care about a movie that wasn't profitable and has shit reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom