• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell bombs at the box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I was just thinking US. The only people I know who knows about any of those anime outside of Naruto are people who watch anime period.

GiTS ain't a Digimon, Pokemon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon, level type shit.

It's all 4Kids fault!

Anime just doesn't translate to live action. Stop, Hollywood. Stop, Japan. Stop, everyone.

There are plenty of anime/manga that could make it work (though I definitely lose interest if they're a movie instead of a series, looking at you Death Note), especially if you pick out of the more "grounded" ones. Whether it's an issue of the people behind the project being incompetent or seeking a cash grab or whatever, I dunno. But there's nothing that makes everything in an entire medium impossible to adapt when book adaptations happen all the time.

Scarlet J. earned 17.5 million dollars for this movie , this is one of the reasons movies bombs these days , actors earning huge amount of money has to end and it seems this will happen soon since movie industry is strugling.

Yep , they are talented people but even 5 million dollar earnign is tons of money for a movie, if an lead actor does one movie every two years with that income on 20 years they got 50 md.

That's in-fucking-sane.

LionPride

Banned
It's all 4Kids fault!

There are plenty of anime/manga that could make it work (though I definitely lose interest if they're a movie instead of a series, looking at you Death Note), especially if you pick out of the more "grounded" ones.
I hate anime, and I'm not sayimg Trigun could work, but....

I'm going to have to agree with the sentiment that anime movies only work if they true to the source material or have it down completely from the ground up.

cdyhybrid

How do we know the box office numbers aren't due to the whitewashing backlash and because the movie just sucks?
Because if we're being honest, the majority of the American movie-going audience doesn't give a single shit about whitewashing in Hollywood.

LionPride

Banned
How do we know the box office numbers aren't due to the whitewashing backlash and because the movie just sucks?
A vocal minority of people complaining about whitewashing, or the movie just being trash?

Plus most people don't care about whitewashing, come on now.

Star power is a dead concept in cinema nowadays. This movies' performance only reinforces that fact lol.

That's silly. You're being 100% silly.

Movies live off three ideas: marketing, brand, and stars. You wouldn't need brand or stars if the marketing is always top notch for every movie but that's never the case. Brands like Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc. sell well because they're reliable and people know them. If you don't have a great brand that's well marketed you're left with star power. Sure, Star Power isn't reliable but if a corporation or person is going to fund your project you need something like a idea, brand, or star involved. This is the world of investing.

Take celebrity endorsements as a parallel: sure, you don't need them but if you're peddling some no-name shit brand you may as well get a recognizable person to be the face.

In any case, the movie bombed because 1) it's a sci-thriller (which usually never do big numbers) 2) isn't as well known as the Internet wants you to believe (same with Akira) and 3) it has piss poor marketing. The only way it could survive the marketing shitshow is if it was a sleeper masterpiece which it wasn't.

Fat4all

Banned
I have hope for the live-action Jojo movie

because even though it'll probably be a bad Jojo movie, it has the chance to be a decent Miike movie and I'd be happy with that.

.JayZii

Banned
There are plenty of anime/manga that could make it work (though I definitely lose interest if they're a movie instead of a series, looking at you Death Note), especially if you pick out of the more "grounded" ones. Whether it's an issue of the people behind the project being incompetent or seeking a cash grab or whatever, I dunno. But there's nothing that makes everything in an entire medium impossible to adapt when book adaptations happen all the time.
It was a bit hyperbolic to completely rule it out, but I've literally never seen a live action adaptation that was at all good.

I think Jin-Roh would be a good one to adapt and would be very marketable to US and worldwide audiences, but I still think they'd fuck it up somehow.

LotusHD

Banned
It was a bit hyperbolic to completely rule it out, but I've literally never seen a live action adaptation that was at all good.

I think Jin-Roh would be a good one to adapt and would be very marketable to US and worldwide audiences, but I still think they'd fuck it up somehow.

Oh, I'm aware that just like video games, anime/manga adaptations are "cursed", outside of maybe a few rare exceptions. And that even if it was good, it'd probably be inferior to the source material (Omg, is this how GoT book readers feel) anyhow.

But regardless, it's still not impossible, so I'll never completely give up.

Just... do better Hollywood, damn.

Just set it 12-20 years in the future in fascist america, drop the Jin-Roh and call it The wolf brigade and it could work.

Unless Hollywood is up to filming in Japan with Japanese actors they have to drop Jin-Roh from the name no one will get it

Disappointing, I seen it last night and thought it was great. I haven't seen the original though, not sure if that would influence my opinion or not.

I don't care what anyone says, for someone like myself who never watched the original anime, the movie was solid. Pisses me off that people bitched about having a white actress and shitted on this movie for that alone before it even released. Replace Johansen with a unknown asian actress just to please people and even less people would of watched it. It's no wonder Hollywood doesn't want to make live action movies based on anime or games.

Lol I couldn't care less that you're pissed off what an idiotic thing to say.

That's silly. You're being 100% silly.

Movies live off three ideas: marketing, brand, and stars. You wouldn't need brand or stars if the marketing is always top notch for every movie but that's never the case. Brands like Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc. sell well because they're reliable and people know them. If you don't have a great brand that's well marketed you're left with star power. Sure, Star Power isn't reliable but if a corporation or person is going to fund your project you need something like a idea, brand, or star involved. This is the world of investing.

Take celebrity endorsements as a parallel: sure, you don't need them but if you're peddling some no-name shit brand you may as well get a recognizable person to be the face.

In any case, the movie bombed because 1) it's a sci-thriller (which usually never do big numbers) 2) isn't as well known as the Internet wants you to believe (same with Akira) and 3) it has piss poor marketing. The only way it could survive the marketing shitshow is if it was a sleeper masterpiece which it wasn't.

The brand itself has far surpassed star power as a necessarily thing in Hollywood.

It's a vestige that only continues to last because executives are risk averse and like to point to all the way they tried to prevent against a flop, if something does flop.

"I put Scarlett Johansson in! I tried!"

It doesn't really work. Hasn't for years. People have written about. Folks have crunched the numbers and the only stars that really matter are your comedy folks: Kevin Hart and Melissa McCarthy.

n0razi

Real-life adaptations of anime are a mistake.

Until they do this
highschool-of-the-dead-3985790-lrg-987132.jpg

The movie doesn't open in China until this weekend, until those results are in its a bit premature to say its bombed. Warcraft for example bombed hard in USA but made a huge amount of money in China, enough to greenlit a sequel.

Ghost in the Shell had some chinese involvement, I remember Reliance and another chinese characters company flash up at the beginning. If so, its possible they may get to keep a bigger slice of the chinese box office too, which is what happened with Warcraft -- foreign companies only keep 25-33% of chinese box office receipts I believe, whereas Chinese companies keep much more.

For example while Kong did $147m domestic, its already done $124m in China and $331m WW.

TDLink

The movie doesn't open in China until this weekend, until those results are in its a bit premature to say its bombed. Warcraft for example bombed hard in USA but made a huge amount of money in China, enough to greenlit a sequel.

Ghost in the Shell had some chinese involvement, I remember Reliance and another chinese characters company flash up at the beginning. If so, its possible they may get to keep a bigger slice of the chinese box office too, which is what happened with Warcraft -- foreign companies only keep 25-33% of chinese box office receipts I believe, whereas Chinese companies keep much more.

For example while Kong did $147m domestic, its already done $124m in China and $331m WW.

No sequel for Warcraft has been greenlit yet. While it did do much better in other countries, enough to generate a decent profit, it bombed so hard domestically that I would be surprised if it happens. Or if it does happen it will be purely because Activision wants to bolster their new Film/TV division with a recognizable product.

Phased

Star power is a dead concept in cinema nowadays. This movies' performance only reinforces that fact lol.

Star Power is a thing, but I don't think ScarJo has anything but supporting actress star power, which is totally fine. She did weird artsy movies like Under The Skin, but a huge blockbuster? ehh.

There's nothing wrong with just being a good supporting actor, lots of people have made great careers out of it. Not everybody is Meryl Streep or for someone more recent, Brie Larson and thats totally ok.

Well you cared enough to respond, so I must of triggered you.

Yeah reducing the valid criticism of minorities to "bitching" and then that it somehow pissed you off "triggered" me. Only fucking imbeciles use triggered so I guess I at least understand where your original statement came from.

kswiston

All profit-sharing foreign films have a 25% studio cut in China. The only exceptions are co-productions that were shot in China and feature significant Chinese production and acting cast.

Warcraft counted as just a regular profit-sharing film, even though Wanda Group purchased Legendary while the film was in post-production. Wanda owns something like a fifth of Chinese theatres, so they made more money at those, but that's about it.

A Chinese company bought a 10% stake in the international gross for GitS, but the film is still going to take the standard 25% in China.

EDIT: The Great Wall is a better example of a film that will make more money than typical in China. It was a Chinese co-production, so Legendary and the other producers would take 40-45% of the $160M Chinese gross (which was about 50% of the total Worldwide gross).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Am I in the H3H3 thread? I feel like I'm in the H3H3 thread and I'm looking at H3H3 fanshits.

The brand itself has far surpassed star power as a necessarily thing in Hollywood.

It's a vestige that only continues to last because executives are risk averse and like to point to all the way they tried to prevent against a flop, if something does flop.

"I put Scarlett Johansson in! I tried!"

It doesn't really work. Hasn't for years. People have written about. Folks have crunched the numbers and the only stars that really matter are your comedy folks: Kevin Hart and Melissa McCarthy.

It still exists because that risk averse can and has saved flops before. It's hard to measure because these movies that rely on star power usually have awful marketing campaigns. I'd venture a guess it has only made this much because of Scarlet Johannson and that's still something even if its a flop.

Sunster

was thinking about giving this a chance early on but then I saw the trailer in theaters. I could hear cinemasins' future criticisms in my head as it played. it was basically a trailer of, LOOK! THINGS! WOWW! FUTURE! COLORS!

MIMIC

Banned
This movie reminded me of "Aeon Flux" for some reason (just from half-paying attention to the trailer). And I never saw that because it looked like garbage.

TDLink

I'm going to need receipts on that.

I'm not going to go research anything because I'm not that invested in proving that point. All I'm saying is GITS is kind of niche and adult targeted (which means a lot of people haven't really checked it out since a lot of anime targets younger). I remember Sailor Moon was hugely popular in the 90s/early 2000s here in North America.

Sunster

I dunno about YYH but Sailor Moon is certainly more well known than GITS in the mainstream to westerners.

Yea I can verify this. Idk shit about anime but I and everyone I know, know Sailor Moon and the others listed. Except. Astro Boy and YYH? na. Sounds kinda familiar though.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not going to go research anything because I'm not that invested in proving that point. All I'm saying is GITS is kind of niche and adult targeted (which means a lot of people haven't really checked it out since a lot of anime targets younger). I remember Sailor Moon was hugely popular in the 90s/early 2000s here in North America.
So is GitS. This isn't a remotely niche franchise. SAC has had multiple airings on Toonami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom