• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima (Green Man Gaming) will be unavailable on countries without PSN

Three

It's sad but they need to legally do this until they write specific PSN agreements for those countries. Get your lawyers on it ASAP or the very least do what MS do and have a default US based agreement (creating a US account) with no purchasing or marketing and have the user determine if they want to go ahead with it regardless. I don't blame them for doing this but they should try to make it painless for users even if it is a limited market.

ByWatterson

Those 118 additional countires are probably just a myth anyway

I mean how big are they? Looking at this list, it's a lot of Africa and tiny places missing. I assume most of this is related to local bans. Europe, Americas, Asia, Oceania, and even most of the Middle East are accounted for.

The market for non-PSN countries is uh, small. Potentially big in the future, but small now.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Those 118 additional countires are probably just a myth anyway
Black Panther Wakanda Forever GIF by Marvel Studios

I mean how big are they? Looking at this list, it's a lot of Africa and tiny places missing. I assume most of this is related to local bans. Europe, Americas, Asia, and even most of the Middle East are accounted for.

The market for non-PSN countries is uh, small. Potentially big in the future, but small now.

Dunno. Probably size of my bathroom

Mr Moose

I mean how big are they? Looking at this list, it's a lot of Africa and tiny places missing. I assume most of this is related to local bans. Europe, Americas, Asia, and even most of the Middle East are accounted for.

They need to do better, faster.

Common sense after Helldivers 2 clustefuck: Make PSN account and Steam linking optional for those who need it

Sony: Are you serious? Fuck all that! We'll enforce PSN account on everyone and for every other game one way or the other and no matter what, cry like a poor innocent baby and then revert the whole thing after a few days of review bombing and say that we're still learning, please understand

Sony doesn't care about steam. Sony is working towards creating a PC storefront of its own. The PSN requirement on their games is just a precursor to that. They just didn't want to screw the pooch on their new golden goose of a game in Helldivers.

PSN won't be required for single player, but it will be required for online. Why they couldn't make that distinction up on the steam store, I don't know.

nikos

Why do people have to be personally affected to point out something that is stupid?

Person A lives in a country where PSN isn't available. Doesn't care about gaming or can't afford a gaming PC to begin with.
Person B lives in the US and is outraged.
Person A laughs at Person B because they don't give a shit. Or, in this case, Person B doesn't even know this is a thing because gaming is almost non-existent in their country to begin with.

Same can be applied to many topics outside of gaming.

I understand. Rockstar, EA, and Ubisoft all have similar account linking. Are they being blocked like Sony are in countries they are not in either?

They all know that Sony is looking at making a launcher and they're vehemently against that. That's what the real outrage was about. They didn't want to give up Helldivers, but they also don't want to put Sony in a position where they have immediate leverage to build their storefront.

Mr Moose

Sony doesn't care about steam. Sony is working towards creating a PC storefront of its own. The PSN requirement on their games is just a precursor to that. They just didn't want to screw the pooch on their new golden goose of a game in Helldivers.

PSN won't be required for single player, but it will be required for online. Why they couldn't make that distinction up on the steam store, I don't know.
Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Online Multiplayer, PlayStation overlay) (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Topher

Gold Member
I understand. Rockstar, EA, and Ubisoft all have similar account linking. Are they being blocked like Sony are in countries they are not in either?

Sony isn't being "blocked" by anyone. Neither are the other companies. They are selecting which countries their products will be sold in.

Person A lives in a country where PSN isn't available. Doesn't care about gaming or can't afford a gaming PC to begin with.
Person B lives in the US and is outraged.
Person A laughs at Person B because they don't give a shit. Or, in this case, Person B doesn't even know this is a thing because gaming is almost non-existent in their country to begin with.

Same can be applied to many topics outside of gaming.

Doesn't answer my question, but cool story.

xrnzaaas

Just shows how desperate Sony is to push the PSN requirement, I've spent probably around 80 hours with PS4&PS5 versions and never once launched the multiplayer mode.

It's an optional mode so I doubt there will be issues for the single player portion on steam.

But they caved in with Helldivers 2, so that should be the case for everything moving forward.

Honestly just fuck these logins in their entirety. I'm still trying to recover my elder scrolls online account that's stuck to my PSN

ToadMan

I wanted chuckle about Sony suggesting people would get a second job to buy a PS3.

Now they'll have to get a second nationality to sign up for PSN.

But it turns out its just GMG that has a problem - if I had to guess GMG didn't want to get stung for refunds from people who claimed they couldn't access HD2 with the key purchased .... so they've just put a blanket block on SIE games to avoid problems.

But yeah, I've got PSN accounts from all over the place. It's really not an issue - there are people who have hacked their consoles for emulation, shared accounts and purchases across multiple consoles and users, set out of territory timezones to activate games early and get cheaper regional pricing or out of market exclusives with shell accounts.

If all the above get a pass, then an out of market PS account not even linked to a console and just to play PC SIE games on steam, is a fart in wind.

Last edited:

nikos

I was just watching a video of someone riding a motorcycle through Madagascar. They don't even have paved roads. Nobody gives a fuck about this over there.
Sony isn't being "blocked" by anyone. Neither are the other companies. They are selecting which countries their products will be sold in.

Doesn't answer my question, but cool story.

Alright then continue wasting energy being upset about something that doesn't affect you.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They were never going to back off on requiring PSN account on PC.

Helldivers was the exception as they were dumb enough to introduce it after people bought it.
It’s probably core to their Pc strategy, and the alternative is quite possibly them releasing less games on PC if it becomes untenable for their reputation.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait...this shit came out!?

I been balls deep into Fallout 4 modding...I gotta go pick this up.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why do people have to be personally affected to point out something that is stupid?
I guess that the individuals living in these extremely poor, at war or under a dictatorship territories in either Africa or Asia (primarily the Middle East) should actually consider moving to proper countries if they're wealthy enough to own a gaming PC capable of running Ghost of Tsushima to begin with.

StereoVsn

So let me get the right, because one business wastes money another business should waste their money as well or it’s a self own?

Do you think Sony was setting up PSN around the world and just decided they were tired and needed to take a nap?

They have other priorities. If they really thought they were missing out on a lot of money, they would have PSN up in these areas. They still sell PS5s in these areas and you can still buy games on disc in these areas and Sony knows how many people are buying in these areas. They have all the data they need to make an informed decision.
i think their PSN structure archaic as F since they can’t even let people move ID between regions. And they are probably apprehensive that expanding number of countries will cause stability issues.

Last edited:
i think their PSN structure archaic as F since they can’t even let people move ID between regions. And they are probably apprehensive that expanding number of countries will cause stability issues.

Or they don't want people moving regions to get favorable pricing on games...

Top Bottom