• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

Zathalus

Yeah I had uk account which sucked and I had to abandon it when Poland was introduced. The whole country selection when registering is nonsense.

And wtf don’t allow to change country. If you ever move, your psn will be fucked.
Digital gaming sucks ass… well games can be region locked on disks too. Probably last time on ps3 tho
It's not a problem with digital gaming, it is fully the fault of Sony. Every other digital storefronts allows you to change your region, even Nintendo.

Guilty_AI

Think this controversy is going to last as long as the Stellar Blade "censorship" kerfuffle?

My feeling is not.

No pun intended but I don't think this story is "sexy" enough to stick around for very long.
Helldivers 2 literally fell from consistently being in the top 5 global sellers on steam since release, all the way to 18th in just these few days of controversy. There's certainly still material for people to talk about, and it ain't stopping given the CCU trend we saw this weekend.

Guilty_AI

Yea somehow people bitch about vanguard with valorant for years just so that riot can take it into the biggest pc game. It'd weird. All of my friends just installed it and said its needed why wouldnt I do it.
And large amounts of people buy their yearly CODs and FIFAs. This isn't "pc gamers", it's just your average normie behaviour, no point in discussing it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Helldivers 2 literally fell from consistently being in the top 5 global sellers on steam since release, all the way to 18th in just these few days of controversy. There's certainly still material for people to talk about, and it ain't stopping given the CCU trend we saw this weekend.

I've never heard of Sony strictly policing location data on PSN accounts. Once word gets around that you can just make a burner account in a supported country it'll rebound if the demand is there I think.

Guilty_AI

I've never heard of Sony strictly policing location data on PSN accounts. Once word gets around that you can just make a burner account in a supported country it'll rebound if the demand is there I think.
People have already been talking about it, doesn't matter since it still goes against Sony's TOS and puts the player in a bad position. Game has also already been blocked from purchase in said countries.

Some countries also ask for ID or a face scan to create a PSN account, which i don't need to point out why bothers people.

Topher

Gold Member
The last vanguard thread had like two pages. There is no demand.

Ok......but shouldn't really be surprising that no one here wants to talk about the issues with a game that no one really cares about in the first place. It just isn't relevant. Meanwhile Helldivers 2 is the biggest game of the year so far. 🤷‍♂️

Holammer

Helldivers is currently the #18 best selling game on Steam, right after Hades (which has a sweet 66% discosunt!)
Wonder if it's the regional restrictions causing dropping sales, or the unfolding PR nightmare. Probably a a little bit of column A, little bit of column B.

The devs never really said that. It's been part of Helldivers 2 launch from the very beginning.

Why is <3 months constantly being turned into 5-6 months? It becomes 3 months on the 8th of May.

There are other games which retroactively added an account requirement that didn’t even have the warnings on the store page, again mostly positive and no review bombing. That is not the reason.
3 months, 6 months. Either way, you just took away the rights for ppl to play there game that they bought less then year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What is happening?
Sony are you nuts???
Game was so good, and everything was fine, and then you do totaly idiotic move with this psn shit, and you destroyed so much hard work over the years
Wtf is with gaming companies these days, this is really starting to be too much
Someone in the marketing department realized the PSN spam emails were low across H2 PC gamers and remembered that's due to no PSN signups. So the VP of Marketing made an emergency call to IT to activate the signup screen asap so daily emails can be sent out to sell shit to PC gamers.

Top Bottom